June 26 - July 2 Rally Report- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report

What are you doing?
    IPA will save America

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    The ride continues! Something about Ptown man, it's just like that Oakland vibe. The hang is always chill af! First trail is a trail that I don't really know. DefiniteIy a trail to learn so that I can ride it properly and find that flow... After that, we just played around at the playground at the bottom! Us a bunch of noobs trying to learn how to be one of the cool kids and hopefully some day hang with the big boys? Oh and as cool as shirtless Austin is helping me get more female viewers, he should probably put a shirt on when riding the gnar gnar, yes? 🤕

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    The ride continues! Something about Ptown man, it's just like that Oakland vibe. The hang is always chill af! First trail is a trail that I don't really know. DefiniteIy a trail to learn so that I can ride it properly and find that flow... After that, we just played around at the playground at the bottom! Us a bunch of noobs trying to learn how to be one of the cool kids and hopefully some day hang with the big boys? Oh and as cool as shirtless Austin is helping me get more female viewers, he should probably put a shirt on when riding the gnar gnar, yes?

You’ve been crushing it man!!! So good to see. You are always so stoked.
    IPA will save America

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    You’ve been crushing it man!!! So good to see. You are always so stoked.
    Hard not to be when on a bike!

mtbr member
    Grouse Ridge Area Saturday 27-Jun-2020

View from the Lookout:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0088.jpg

Summer snow!
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0089.jpg

Island Lake
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0091.jpg

Feeley Lake
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0094.jpg

This was my first time riding in the area and it kicked my butt! Saw tons of hikers and zero mtbs. There was a pleasant cooling breeze for most of day and most of the trails had good shade. Got warm really quick in direct sunlight tho.

Fun times in the Nor Cal.

Last edited by parkmeister; 1 Week Ago at 06:20 PM.
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Instagram: _parkmeister

mtbr member
    Skatepark time.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_4561.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Skatepark time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4561.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	493.1 KB 
ID:	1344953
    Any chance of seeing a vid or two?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Any chance of seeing a vid or two?
    I'll get around to making one, one of these days. Any video of my riding and/or skating will be amazingly underwhelming! I did just get a set of training wheels for my skateboard however.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-screen-shot-2020-06-18-4.27.40-pm.png  

Formerly dvo
    N+1 weekend. With everywhere else dry as a witches .... I went coastside and find some legit mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

singletrack bound
    ^^^^^ Didn't I just go by that "ant hill" a couple hours ago????

singletrack bound
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-5543ad81-0d1b-4732-aaf3-60b99be1ef45.jpg

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Skatepark time.

Name:	IMG_4561.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	493.1 KB 
ID:	1344953
    Sweet! Looks like a hybrid between a dirtjumper and a trials bike.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Sweet! Looks like a hybrid between a dirtjumper and a trials bike.
    Yep! It's basically a trials-ish/BMX-ish bike. It steers so much quicker than a MTB, I'm always a bit timid on it in a skatepark.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Saturday wanted to do a big mixed-terrain ride on the CX bike so I went out and ventured a bit. Unfortunately the Garmin’s battery ate dogballs at mile 73.29 (6,123 feet of climbing). Total mileage according to Strava on iPhone—which conveniently lost my ride completely when I hit stop when I got home—was 126.8 with roughly 11,000 feet of climbing. Bonus b¡tchslap beatdown effort for the 40-ish miles of unexpected constant HEADWINDS from Pescadero all the damn way to Santa Cruz (if I had wanted headwinds I would have just ridden at Alviso). Had it not been for the headwinds I had planned to ride out to Aptos and go up Nisene and take the fully rigid CX bike down Flow Trail, then back up to Highland and eventually Summit… BUT, seeing as the effort of 40 miles of 15 - 25 MPH headwinds is roughly equal to 80 miles of riding, I decided to shorten the ride and just HTFU up Soquel San Jose Road to Summit Road.

The well-known rock formation at Montebello OSP:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0928.jpg

Breakfast in a can – my sister had a shipment of beer sent to me… and then she told me that my SoCal cousins own/run the brewery; I think I should keep in touch with family more than I do!!!
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0929.jpg

Top of Montebello OSP – just finished my breakfast beer, time to plan my route; already 22 miles in and 3,500 feet of climbing, but I wanted to go BIG; notice the time and the temperature… I was glad the temperatures were going to be significantly cooler for the rest of the ride, yet I had no idea what I would be in for:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0930.jpg

I’ve tried many tires over the past ten years… the Panaracer Gravelking SKs are the best-all rounder I have found so far. They make them in something like 20 different sizes for 26", 27.5"/650b, and 29"/700c sizes, in widths from 32mm (if my memory serves me correctly) to 2.1", skinwalls, and COLOURED tread (in burgundy, brown, black, blue, green, orange and possibly others too), so easy sell for me:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0931.jpg

Lunch in Pescadero at Arcangeli Market:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0933.jpgJune 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0935.jpgJune 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0937.jpg

Since I had my backpack for this ride I bought two half-baked loaves to bring back home:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0936.jpg

Last ride through Pescadero in 2019 I saw a bunch of really nice hotrods and muscle cars. I saw these two cars (owners are brothers) and had to take pictures. I’ve never been a Chevy Nova guy, but this Nova was done just right, and looked pretty damn tough! The Cobra is a replica, but don’t tell me it isn’t fun to drive:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0939.jpgJune 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0940.jpgJune 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0941.jpgJune 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0942.jpg

Foggy day, which I have been told by two people is the reason I was battling headwinds coming up from the South as opposed to the usual tailwinds blowing down from the North:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0943.jpg

After battling the horrendous frontal headwind assault for 40 miles I needed some IPA octane… I vaguely remembered where Humble Sea was from the only other IPA-fueled southerly coastal bike trip RidinHigh and I did back in 2018. 32 ounce crowler of their amazeballs awesomesauce Maximum Send triple IPA:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0946.jpgJune 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0947.jpg

I’ve always been a fan of Syncro Vanagons. On my route today I saw six of them. Yes, SIX!!! Seeing as this one looks like a rare imported European twin-cab version I am going out on a limb to proclaim that this one is super rare, and probably worth $40,000 – $60,000 to those who know what it is:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0948.jpgJune 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0949.jpg

Dinnertime at Summit Store. I am not normally a mac and cheese guy, but it just sounded like something my body needed after the seemingly endless uphill deathmarch up Soquel - San Jose Road. Used half the bottle of the Melinda’s habañero hot sauce since I needed some vitamins in addition to fat, carbohydrates, sodium, protein, and beerlectrolytes; all to the rescue for the recovery pace back home:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0950.jpg

Got a little bit of sun despite the fog layer. And I am three months overdue for a haircut so I kinda look like a homeless person or just a freak in general. The expression on my face visually tells a story about my physical fatigue facing that goddamn 40 miles of headwinds, yet at the same time relief that I only have another 25 or so miles to go and I am home at last:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_0951.jpg

Here’s a Strava screenshot of the first 73.29 miles before the Garmin battery donated it’s testicles for scientific research:
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-screen-shot-2020-06-28-8.43.21-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^^ So 125+ miles with headwinds for 40 of those miles, 11k of climbing while carrying 30lbs of beer and food bought along the ride. Sounds reasonable! How many beers were drank on this ride?

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    ^^^ So 125+ miles with headwinds for 40 of those miles, 11k of climbing while carrying 30lbs of beer and food bought along the ride. Sounds reasonable! How many beers were drank on this ride?
    Fortunately I only was carrying one beer and three 16-ounce recyclable bottles of water (one of the water bottles I froze in my freezer the night before so it was essentially keeping the precious breakfast beer cold), in addition to standard cycling water bottles in 25 ounce and 16 ounce sizes. Biggest bottle had two scoops of Hammer Heed in it. Only food I brought was a small bag (probably 4 ounces) of walnuts which I sprinkled some sea salt and Vietnamese dried fried onion on, but only ate half of the bag. All the beer and food bought along the way (at Arcangeli Market and at Summit Store) in the photos was consumed on the spot in each photo. Total number of beers: one 16-ounce of milk money chocolate milk porter, four 12-ounce IPAs, one 10.4% ABV 32-ounce triple IPA, and the three 16-ounce Mind Haze IPAs. As previously stated, when I ride with RidinHigh the amount of IPAs consumed is substantially higher, but we cruise at a bit more social pace (and lucked out and never had headwinds).

Doing the math, I see that I drank 144 ounces of beer throughout the duration of my ride.

fc
    Rode with wife and son at Nisene. That was special and they can’t wait to do it again
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Took a little 10 mile spin through the fog and wind at Russian Ridge last night. Finally checked out the beginning of the Mindego Hill trail (the section open to bikes). Wow it was steep. It dropped almost 400' in less than half a mile. Sometime soon I'm going to try it the other way to see how far up it I can make it before I have to walk. Cleaning it looks like a good quad+cardio goal.

mtbr member

Bravo Leopold Porkstacker ^ ^ ^ ^

So LP is doing the drink a beer get the shorter section on the lap thing ... Just like the SS championship races? ...Yesterday .. LG man and I hit Priest to Limekiln to woods for an out and back. We ran into an old buddy of yours who used to race with you. The cabinet crew team guys. I'm still riding your Juan Solo hard using Squashyo's flats and running/riding cross training with hiker gal pal... push run ride SS on Kennedy. I'm back down to fighting weight. Super Lightweight/Junior Welterweight
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Up In Smoke
    The MORCA crew did some clearing in Ord on Couch Canyon. Cheers to them! Last time I went through there I practically had to blaze my own trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Yeah, what Train Wreck said. Trails are ruined because e-bikes are there.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    So I've had this loaner Trek Stache 7 hardtail for a few days now and starting to learn what it does. This is my first plus bike experience and it's definitely got me scratching my head every once in a while... that said, i guess it sends with minimum squirm if you land the tranny!

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-106203564_2630823620501570_3440979015683177652_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Doing the math, I see that I drank 144 ounces of beer throughout the duration of my ride.
    ****ing hell, your stomach must be lined with lead or something. The chocolate porter alone would just about end me on a ride. Anyone who passes thru Pescadero is missing out if they skip that artichoke bread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    144 sounds like a cry for help... Even Sublime only needed 40 oz to freedom.

(my wallet and liver would be crying for help)

The last two loaves of artichoke bread I got were very light on artichokes. Disappointing because they're usually the best.
    Last edited by K. Trout; 1 Week Ago at 05:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Rode Martis area yesterday. Instead of just riding the usual trails, explored some of the trails for ahem, larger bikes.

Then did a quick lap on A1/Jackass
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtb'er
    Tested suspension and tire pressure on the Rubicon Jeep Trail

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-p1120901-3-.jpg

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post

Name:	P1120901 (3).JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	1345249
    hot damn!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    30 miles through natomas to rancho cordova. great day for a ride

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by notsendy View Post
    ****ing hell, your stomach must be lined with lead or something. The chocolate porter alone would just about end me on a ride. Anyone who passes thru Pescadero is missing out if they skip that artichoke bread.
    Irish/Scottish/Welsh/German lineage, so the copper stomach lining probably comes from the Irish/Scottish. As for the herbed garlic artichoke bread, it is the sole motivation to ride out to Pescadero for me; one entire 18 ounce loaf is fuel for the rest of the day (unless aforementioned headwind beatdown ensues in which case the bread is not enough).

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Backdoor to the comedy team trail, continue to Martis Peak, down the movie character trail, back to the start. Nice break in the heat and just this side of windy. 62/7600/11:30

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Love that frame color

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post

Name:	P1120901 (3).JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	1345249
    what kinda loonatic rides a bicycle on the rubicon?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    does anyone know the latest on highland way/getting to Demo on weekdays? do you still have to avoid the 10AM-12PM and 1PM to 3PM windows? i emailed SC County Dept of Public Works and this is what they said:

Looks like lane closures only and not full close .
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by parkmeister View Post
    what kinda loonatic rides a bicycle on the rubicon?

D'OH! about the snow!

The traditional ccw loop is quite a bit easier now. SMUD funded massive trailwork a couple years ago on the Loon Lake Trail. Still hard, but not as hard. Rubicon is always changing, but remains just as challenging.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-p1120830-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the report. Love that area, but haven't ridden there in a few years.

Just the other day I was wondering how clear those trails might be. It's slow going on those trails, very technical and fun, chunk after chunk, after chunk, but with a new lake every half mile or so, it's great just to find a spot and relax.

A great memory of mine is riding there with a friend, and we came across some meadow somewhere and just laid back in the grass and soaked it all in for a while.

mtbr member
    Just got back from a week in South Lake Tahoe. Family vacation, but my wife and daughter graciously allowed me plenty of time to tick off all the trails on my to-do list.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-01-img_5911.jpg
    First ride was up Armstrong Pass, TRT to Star Lake, then down Monument Pass and Cold Creek. 26 miles, 3600 ft.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-02-img_5929.jpg
    At the top, below Freel Peak.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-03-img_5951.jpg
    Star Lake.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-04-img_5956.jpg
    Star Lake.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-05-img_5963.jpg
    8,888 feet elevation.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-06-img_5967.jpg
    Stairs on Monument Pass Trail. (This may have been my favorite trail of the whole trip.)

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-07-img_5972.jpg
    Rock drop on Cold Creek Trail. I aborted this attempt, but came back on another ride and took an easier line to the right.

Next ride was Incline Flume, Marlette Flume and Chimney Beach.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-08-img_6021.jpg
    Rode this one with an old friend who I haven't ridden with in over 10 years, wanted to ease him back in with some of the flattest trails in Tahoe.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-09-img_6042.jpg
    The view for lunch.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-10-img_6045.jpg
    Nothing technical about Marlette Flume, but man that view ...

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-11-img_6078.jpg
    Chimney Beach was a really fun descent.

After the Flume trails my buddy was beat but I was dying for more so I headed back out for another 16 miles around town. We had a place near Powerline & Cold Creek, so trails were only a block away.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-12-fdnx8335.jpg
    Saw this young bear on the Harootunian trail network.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-13-img_6131.jpg
    Sunset on Powerline Trail.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-14-img_6377.jpg
    Another sunset from a different night, also on Powerline.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-15-img_6419.jpg
    On Saturday got dropped early at Big Meadows to take the TRT to Toad's.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-16-img_6421.jpg
    Lots of sections of this trail that would have been way more fun if I was heading down.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-17-img_6427.jpg
    Such beautiful trail building.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-18-img_6448.jpg
    Again, this trail is so good.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-19-img_6458.jpg
    Mandatory shot with the Mr. Toad's sign.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-20-img_6460.jpg
    My bike waiting patiently as I picked a line.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was really fun. It was my first time riding it and I was pleased I didn't have to walk very many sections, even though my hardtail was a bit of a bucking bronco at times.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-21-img_6467.jpg
    After Toad's I rode out to Pope Beach to meet the family. Fun navigation through town, finding as many trails to connect as possible. South Lake is a wonderland of options.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-22-img_6527.jpg
    Last ride, Armstrong Connector to Corral.

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-23-img_6532.jpg
    Sweet Tahoe turns.

So it was a great week. I'm stoked and grateful that I was able to squeeze in 110 miles of trail riding during a family vacation. Tahoe is amazing and I gotta get back up there ASAP.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    My Garmin kept giving me a Small Aircraft advisory... should've listened 😂

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Moved to Santa Rosa a week ago. Got two annadel rides in and two road rides. Pretty darn nice compared to what’s available in San Francisco. 😂

Yesterday am in annadel was a delight. Saw maybe 10 people in 90 min. Burma’s where fast fun.

Now to refind some stamina.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by oteich View Post
    Moved to Santa Rosa a week ago. Got two annadel rides in and two road rides. Pretty darn nice compared to what’s available in San Francisco. 😂

Yesterday am in annadel was a delight. Saw maybe 10 people in 90 min. Burma’s where fast fun.

Now to refind some stamina.
    Moved to Santa Rosa!!! From where? Pretty darn cool.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Moved to Santa Rosa!!! From where? Pretty darn cool.
    Moved from San Francisco. Kid was dying inside with corona, no space, constantly cold. Warm weather, better biking, pool and a yard are all so nice. Fingers crossed no fires!!!

mtbr member
    My Garmin kept giving me a Small Aircraft advisory... should've listened 
    That one pic you have at the end of that dude's snapped handlebar. Curious if it was a no name bar. But it's a 35mm Renthal. Brutal.

And note to self... Avoid grips that say "DEATHGRIP" on them.June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-screen-shot-2020-06-30-11.27.15-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    My Garmin kept giving me a Small Aircraft advisory... should've listened 😂
    That was entertaining, thanks! Your first save was impressive and your buddy hung on sooo long in the rocks.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
    So it was a great week. I'm stoked and grateful that I was able to squeeze in 110 miles of trail riding during a family vacation. Tahoe is amazing and I gotta get back up there ASAP.
    Awesome report and pics! - & pretty impressive doing those trails on a HT - did you feel a bit beat-up after that?! - I feel beat-up after those rides on a 5" FS bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Awesome report and pics! - & pretty impressive doing those trails on a HT - did you feel a bit beat-up after that?! - I feel beat-up after those rides on a 5" FS bike!
    Thanks! You know, I actually felt pretty great after the rides. Tried to stay light on the pedals and pick decent lines, absorb everything with my legs. My hands were a bit sore but that might have been from gripping harder than necessary. The only trail where I really wished for a FS was upper Cold Creek, some of those rock drops were bigger than I was willing to take on with no rear squish.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by oteich View Post
    Moved from San Francisco. Kid was dying inside with corona, no space, constantly cold. Warm weather, better biking, pool and a yard are all so nice. Fingers crossed no fires!!!
    Wow, sorry to hear your kid has the coronavirus. I hope he/she gets better soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Wow, sorry to hear your kid has the coronavirus. I hope he/she gets better soon!
    Pretty sure the "dying inside with corona" was a figure of speech.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    hahaha. Guess I didn't spend enough time reading Eats, shoots & leaves.

He doesn't have Corona. He has a bad attitude and being cooped up inside wasn't helping.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    That one pic you have at the end of that dude's snapped handlebar. Curious if it was a no name bar. But it's a 35mm Renthal. Brutal.

And note to self... Avoid grips that say "DEATHGRIP" on them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 11.27.15 AM.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	1345501
    Yea... I don't care if they're designed for downhill... I come from a generation where I don't trust carbon on my bikes... hahaha. Bar snapped and stabbed him in the kidney. His son was riding too and actually crashed at the upper section of xxx but was okay. His kid drove him to the hospital. Boni said he's peeing blood right now but he'll be alright...

Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    That was entertaining, thanks! Your first save was impressive and your buddy hung on sooo long in the rocks.
    I thought I was going down for sure on that tank slapper... Came out of nowhere!!! And yea that Spice Chopper got skills man! Rode two drops with no footers! Haha! His hand swelled up like a balloon for sure but he's alright... He's back shredding and was just at Downeville yesterday...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Excellent report -- my next ride up there will be my yearly Freel Peak ride, but instead of starting from Stagecoach, I think I'll try your route.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here’s a Strava screenshot of the first 73.29 miles before the Garmin battery donated it’s testicles for scientific research:

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 8.43.21 PM.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	1345061
    So sick! I also did a Butano loop from the peninsula on Saturday but your ride has mine beat by most metrics (especially beers). Big day!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by akdmx View Post
    So sick! I also did a Butano loop from the peninsula on Saturday but your ride has mine beat by most metrics (especially beers). Big day!
    Thanks! I’m hoping next time I won’t be dealing with the headwinds so I can actually come back up via Nisene and Demo… and that all my GPS data somehow mysteriously is present.

mtbr member
    Work has been crazy busy ... but lots of riding and lots of digging . I’ll sleep when I’m dead!

On one of my recent rides I had a spectacular crash in front of 10+ people, lol. I knew it was a bad idea to hit the table at warp speed and I was right

Went back after working on double top secret trail and fixed up the landing. I’m only showing the new stuff to my riding buddy. Once finished I want to see the locals jaws drop when the Flowzone and Dropzone are complete

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-05013a90-97e9-4cbd-81e1-b6c2ad5ec4fe.jpeg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    This stuff goes on very easy, will see how it holds up. Anyone with experience with this vs Stans?

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-img_4572.jpg

mtbr member

And note to self... Avoid grips that say "DEATHGRIP" on them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 11.27.15 AM.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	1345501
    I have heard a few stories of Renthal Carbon Fatbars snapping. Never heard of any other carbon bars snapping. Definitely concerning.

mtbr member
    Hit UC today.. can't complain about the dirt for July...could be a lot worse..

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

fc
    New peak today at Calero. It’s the one with the antenna
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    This stuff goes on very easy, will see how it holds up. Anyone with experience with this vs Stans?

Name:	IMG_4572.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	1345545
    Honestly never used anything but Gorilla Tape, and it has never failed me on about 5 setups.

mtbr member
    It’s my Bday so I decided to challenge myself to a full double of my trails. Challenge completed!

Pretty stoked to have done it on one battery and finished with 12% left over
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-dd428e12-01ed-495c-9b7f-e4e4058fda82.jpg  

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-131ec03d-6086-4e21-8631-dad5e42a636a.jpeg  

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-7e91d8ad-517d-4903-a010-dc3afe48a5dc.jpg  

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-ef5a4f09-e381-4a06-bf68-048c855611c1.jpeg  

2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

fc
    Happy birthday Roughster!!! Nice job. 3 hours 38 of quality pedaling time in the heat.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolo_MTB View Post
    Honestly never used anything but Gorilla Tape, and it has never failed me on about 5 setups.
    How often to you change tires? It would last me maybe 2 or 3 tires changes before the edges started peeling up and making a mess.

mtbr member
    Never tried Gorilla Tape, certainly less expensive. This Muc-Off tape is more flexible than Stans and easier to get air bubbles out.

mtbr member
    I have recently found a way to clean rim tape glue off carbon rims without using aggressive chemicals (I used to use brake pad cleaner). Just spray with isopropyl alcohol and rub with a blue shop napkin until the glue makes a blue gooey mess of glue and napkin, then it rubs right off with you fingers. The fibers from the napkin fill up the glue and make it less sticky.

mtbr member
    Never tried Gorilla Tape, certainly less expensive. This Muc-Off tape is more flexible than Stans and easier to get air bubbles out.
    Very interested in your update/experience. Thanks in advance.

The Stans and other tapes I've used all seem too non-pliable, though have worked so I've figured that's just the way they are.

mtbr member
    Thanks FC. I am frickin worked lol!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    HBD Rough! You have the 500 or the bigger battery on that Levo?

mtbr member
    Everytime i used gorilla tape it sticks to the tire bead so when I break bead I have to completely change the tape again....smh

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Very interested in your update/experience. Thanks in advance.

The Stans and other tapes I've used all seem too non-pliable, though have worked so I've figured that's just the way they are.
    Well my tire was still inflated to the pressure I left it last night, after a ride today. So far so good with the Muc Off tape. I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

More pie please
    Today, a local mid-peninsula ride...

Old school sign in the bramble:

The view from Borel Hill:

Arastradero:

And jumping into the Wayback Machine, a few pictures from last Sunday at Coe. The first couple ridges had "Junuary" conditions:

Actually, it was pretty miserable in the upper elevations.

Update on the park web site dated June 24, 2020: the park is back to being open 24/7 and backpacking is allowed. I passed this group of bikepackers near Pacheco Camp:

As you can see, things have brightened up. I set my sights for the Kingbird Pond passing the historic Orestimba Corral and riding the Orestimba Creek Trail...

Today's destination. Just one-half mile to go!

And here it is in all its glory!

Okay, not so great but it was a spot in Coe I hadn't been to before.

Concluding with the sole photo I took on the return trip (Grizzly Gulch Trail):

Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Well my tire was still inflated to the pressure I left it last night, after a ride today. So far so good with the Muc Off tape. I hope I didn't just jinx myself!
    Any tape should hold air for its first time. The test is if you are taking on and off tires every few weeks if the tape will last.

mtbr member
    HBD Rough! You have the 500 or the bigger battery on that Levo?
    I’ve got the 700.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Any tape should hold air for its first time. The test is if you are taking on and off tires every few weeks if the tape will last.
    Most tape doesn't last a few tire changes because it's the wrong width.

mtbr member
    New peak today at Calero. It’s the one with the antenna
    Which trail did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Feeling out a 29+ bike on the Flow... these bikes are bruisers of a bike that doesn't require finesse huh? The grip is crazy you just don't really have to care but if you want to steeze of stuff it takes some muscle and if it squirms under big or side loads, requires some muscle too? My first experience with a plus bike... Definitely a learning experience and pretty darn interesting... hahaha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    Everytime i used gorilla tape it sticks to the tire bead so when I break bead I have to completely change the tape again....smh

You gotta cut it just right. My "Special trick" is that I hit it with a heat gun after applying the tape and put on a pair of gardening gloves and just spin it and press down real hard on the tape so it form fits everything. Just don't get the heat gun to close or it will start melting. A hair dryer would probably be the smarter tool for the job.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    “to close” or “too close”? Totally changes the meaning.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by yetilicious View Post
    Which trail did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This trail from Lisa Killough trail, turn left straight up to the peak. An unused fireroad basically.June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-screen-shot-2020-07-02-9.14.34-am.jpg
    IPA will save America

Ariolimax columbianus

June 26 - July 2 Rally Report

Been lurking hard here all through sip. Started driving to trails only about a month ago. Been riding sc, Aptos, demo, Fort Ord w/dog. Some surprisingly large crowds in Nisene on Father's Day. The caucasity of some of the comments on here lately have been a bit of a turnoff and it's just not worth the energy to reply so there's that too.

My buddy who works for Calfee was planning on racing the CA enduro series @ china peak and needed a come along. I tried holding out because the race stuff's not really my scene and he wanted to leave last Thursday. He ended up getting injured at the Harvey West pumptrack before the race and had to dropout. Anyways, he still wanted to roll to the race and pick up his swag bag so I ended up rollin w/him Friday afternoon.

China Peak wasn't too bad, but still a total brofest. I've snowboarded and skied there multiple times but have never been to the mountain in the summer, it was just as beautiful and super rugged. The camping was a little funky but it was for one night only. Forgot my tent poles so I slept on the asphalt, not the first time, but hardly slept, and felt fine when I got up before 5am after I sipped my unfinished beer from about 3.5 hours earlier.

The grom scene was pretty lit. I'd say the little girls are probably the best part of sport rn. Looks like a lot of parents that have money, whose kids race bmx, are transitioning to bigger wheels. We camped next to this father and son (Max Clark), Max https://www.instagram.com/max_rides_bikes/ is a flipping ripper and I think the #2 bmx rider in his age group in the state. So rad, he was just stoked that his mom made muffins. Dad was also friends w/a childhood bmx riding buddy of mine that lives in Sac so that 7 degrees of separation ish is always funny.

On race day morning we just marinated around the campsite a bit, cooked, packed a bit, and watched some of our other buddies that pulled in about 10pm(?) end up rolling out to their respective race classes. We ended up hiking up to the rock garden heckle section on stage #3 and just watched some of the other expert classes go through some gnarly chunk. Some of these younger kids are so fluid they definitely rode the rocks much like a natural skatepark, pumping over rocks and just rolling or popping boulders like hips. It was pretty fun just watching bikes go by, checking out all the little details, and just geeking out on bikes and parts.

Another funny thing was this woman from Auburn that we met, who had injured herself practicing on Friday was actually riding in Nisene the week prior. It turns out she rode right past me on an intersection on Father's Day after we started talking about trails. Towards the latter part of the afternoon we talked to Evan Turpen for a bit and just geeked out over his bike. Since my bruh work for Calfee he definitely had some pressing questions and even though Evan was between stages he was super accommodating and just kept answering questions, super nice guy and local ripper!

After the race we ended up finding a dispersed campsite of Kaiser Pass and chilled for the night. Woke up next morning, made breakfast, marinated a bit more, packed up and headed back to the coast. My bruh bought the old Fox Sprinter van of another Fox employee recently. As much as I've been enjoying the little European vacation(I call it) feeling you get when you can just park, post up, and just have that nice chill spot, I got a lil on edge coming back over Pacheco Pass Sunday afternoon when that wind was pretty much blowing us into the shoulder.

Rode sc other day, up Emma into Wilder, Humble Sea, to beach stop. That's kinda been my weekly goto since I guess I'm more of an XC rider. Saw a bunch of my old high school students from Watsonville up at the tanks and felt real good about some of the direction that mountain bikes might be going.

fc
    My wife's riding mountain bikes now! Only took 20 years of trying. The key now is ebikes and pandemic. She started riding my Levo a few weeks ago and was always excited how far she ended up. So now, she's joined in Aptos, Nicholas other spots.

I ride a normal bike usually since she just likes to cruise on the climbs (for now). What's really cool is seeing her descending confidence grow with every ride. Big descents so there is much time to learn.

This is actually why she suggested we get an adventure van. She figures she can participate now in this biking thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    My wife's riding mountain bikes now! Only took 20 years of trying. The key now is ebikes and pandemic. She started riding my Levo a few weeks ago and was always excited how far she ended up. So now, she's joined in Aptos, Nicholas other spots.

I ride a normal bike usually since she just likes to cruise on the climbs (for now). What's really cool is seeing her descending confidence grow with every ride. Big descents so there is much time to learn.

This is actually why she suggested we get an adventure van. She figures she can participate now in this biking thing.
    Nice, strike while the Iron is HOT!

My wife started riding with me about a year ago and I swear she likes it more than I do now. Negatives=more bikes to maintain, more parts to buy. Positives=more bikes to maintain, more parts to buy !

mtbr member
    June 26 - July 2 Rally Report-4ebb5599-34aa-4576-bdd1-927b801b6553.jpeg

Bday weekend continues. I’ll give zero guesses as to what tomorrow’s itinerary is ...

2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    The caucasity of some of the comments on here
    That's a new one

mtbr member
    @nativeson

Thanks for the ride/trip report. It's posts like this that makes me heart mtbr.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by parkmeister View Post
    @nativeson

Thanks for the ride/trip report. It's posts like this that makes me heart mtbr.
    thanks bruh! Appreciate your posts too, this was my first time back to the Sierra since early winter in January I think, really been missing the mountains! Like most folx we were ready to get some freshies when da ish hit da fan around March 12 (I think).

Headed up to Wright's Lake in a few weeks to my buddy's old money family cabin to get up to the Sierra again and hopefully explore some of the zones near Sierra at Tahoe, Sayles Canyon, if you have any beta I'd appreciate it!

No real longer road trips this summer planned because of COVID life, mostly just riding locally, working on the house, and enjoying staycation!

Here's the PB link to Evan Turpen's bike if y'all haven't peeped it! So sick! https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-c...el-beauty.html

mtbr member
    You gotta cut it just right. My "Special trick" is that I hit it with a heat gun after applying the tape and put on a pair of gardening gloves and just spin it and press down real hard on the tape so it form fits everything. Just don't get the heat gun to close or it will start melting. A hair dryer would probably be the smarter tool for the job.
    Didn't think to cut the with down... Thanks

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150