June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report

What's on tap this week?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Chill solo ride tonight at JMP...tomorrow UC.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

Formerly dvo
    Took a couple days off and the wife and I drove up to Ashland. While she worked remote the last two days I got out for a few shuttles.

One small snow field left on the way to Time Warp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Well done, Dan! What's it like in town with no Shakespeare Festival?

mtbr member
    3 of us got out and rode the full loop with a few laps on the Jumpline. 16 miles / 2.5k. The new jump is butter, but I need to do some work on the run in. There’s a turn around a tree before the take off that I need to make a little wider so we can carry more speed:

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-e79d27d0-3f9a-4737-9224-667b2cbc4f6b.jpeg
    Need to do that before I build the landing cause it’s going to add even more pop!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Trout View Post
    Well done, Dan! What's it like in town with no Shakespeare Festival?
    Quiet.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I went out to demo today on a mission to bang out a bunch of laps. Plan was to carry a bottle on the bike and leave a camelback by the benches at the bottom of flow. I dropped off the pack after my first descent and tucked the pack away behind a tree (hung from a branch).

Up Hihns, down flow again and the pack is already gone (50 minutes).

I started drilling it up the fire road (sub 22 minutes to the lot) and passed like 25 people but no luck. Finally, as I'm coming through the gate that separates the lot from the fire road I spot a guy with a black camel back.

Roll up to the guy and ask him "Is that your pack?" "...no" (not "OH! this must be YOURS")

So he takes it off and gives it to me. At this point we're standing literally right in front of what I come to realize is his car. He insists he was brining it up in case someone left it behind. Not a compelling argument to make after when having already arrived at your car. He offers me a beer and I decline, explaining that I've got more riding to do and that I only climbed out because my water was gone.

I put in a 3rd lap but that's about all I've got left after overcooking it while hunting for the pack. Come out to the lot and the dude is still there drinking beers with his buddies. As I'm packing up the car he approaches me, beer in hand, and starts acting a fool. Going on about "do you think I'm some kind of a thief". Mind you, I didn't make a scene during the first encounter. What is there left to say at this point?

As much as I would have enjoyed to have a proper macho moment the repercussions are just not worth it. Packed it in and went on my way. Hopefully none of you fine gentlemen will ever be the subject of a story like this.

mtbr member
    Akdmx - I hope to be like you in two ways:
    * your riding
    * your equanimity in the situation

Props.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by akdmx View Post
    I went out to demo today on a mission to bang out a bunch of laps. Plan was to carry a bottle on the bike and leave a camelback by the benches at the bottom of flow. I dropped off the pack after my first descent and tucked the pack away behind a tree (hung from a branch).

Up Hihns, down flow again and the pack is already gone (50 minutes).

I started drilling it up the fire road (sub 22 minutes to the lot) and passed like 25 people but no luck. Finally, as I'm coming through the gate that separates the lot from the fire road I spot a guy with a black camel back.

Roll up to the guy and ask him "Is that your pack?" "...no" (not "OH! this must be YOURS")

So he takes it off and gives it to me. At this point we're standing literally right in front of what I come to realize is his car. He insists he was brining it up in case someone left it behind. Not a compelling argument to make after when having already arrived at your car. He offers me a beer and I decline, explaining that I've got more riding to do and that I only climbed out because my water was gone.

I put in a 3rd lap but that's about all I've got left after overcooking it while hunting for the pack. Come out to the lot and the dude is still there drinking beers with his buddies. As I'm packing up the car he approaches me, beer in hand, and starts acting a fool. Going on about "do you think I'm some kind of a thief". Mind you, I didn't make a scene during the first encounter. What is there left to say at this point?

As much as I would have enjoyed to have a proper macho moment the repercussions are just not worth it. Packed it in and went on my way. Hopefully none of you fine gentlemen will ever be the subject of a story like this.
    Wow. Doesn't sound like any mtb'r I know. But the Covid has brought out a lot of fools.

Glad you got your pack back unscathed.
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Was there any water left in the pack?

mtbr member
    Nicely handled akd - so not worth it to make it into a big scene

mtbr member
    Hit UC today and couldn't believe we had condensation hitting the ground from the fog at the end of June!! #miraclejune

I haven't delivered mail in almost a year and it was primo condition dirt!

I like the new colab art design of the tanks btw...good compromise

Happy first day of Summer 2020 !

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member

June 19 - July 2 ride, ride, ride report

DV Fri-Sat - it was pretty damn hot and crowded in town - popular trails are getting dry and blown pretty quickly but still in good shape overall - lesser ridden trails are running great - amazing scenery right now!

mtbr member
    Also did some exploring and found this mining claim - seems like somebody is still actively mining this spot

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Was there any water left in the pack?
    No water + no beer equals lose-lose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Trout View Post
    No water + no beer equals lose-lose.
    Lol! I was thinking I'd let it slide if someone was allegedly returning my pack, but if my water got drank up on a long ride, well........

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
    Sep 2010
    How well did you hide your pack? Sounds like you hid it for real. I gotta say, if you took license plate, I would report it to police. If the guys record is clean, no harm done. If there is a pattern, you may save someone from a theif, broken car window, broken down house door etc. On the other hand, If I did 3 DHs in 4 hours at Demo, left my pack at bottom by accident, and someone brough it up, holy god I would be so happy! I would tattoo their name on my forehead.
    Buy American, save lives. (Tough for cyclists)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    How well did you hide your pack? Sounds like you hid it for real. I gotta say, if you took license plate, I would report it to police. If the guys record is clean, no harm done. If there is a pattern, you may save someone from a theif, broken car window, broken down house door etc. On the other hand, If I did 3 DHs in 4 hours at Demo, left my pack at bottom by accident, and someone brough it up, holy god I would be so happy! I would tattoo their name on my forehead.
    What will he report? My backpack was almost stolen, but I got it back from the guy and he tried to offer me a beer.

mtbr member
    Well the economy is so bad these days, fools are stripping beach cruisers.

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-img_4518.jpg

Sep 2010
    Hahaha. Funny, Boardman for police chief here in Oakland. Beer saves the world from manipulators. I'd vote for that. Now I gotta go sweep up some glass from "hero's" making my town better?

mtbr member
    Quick 3 to test out some tweaks I made to the turn prior to the new jump. It’s a go!

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-bcff665f-6daa-437a-af64-6600e3b405ca.jpeg

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-d51fcaf7-c5eb-4db1-bec4-b94dd9c22c1d.jpeg

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-5563ebb9-d304-4cd9-afea-df7838541303.jpeg

Happy Fathers Day to everyone!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    After thinking it through and watching a few other people hit it to flat, decided to make it a table. It’s got a 7’ take off, a 5’ flat table top, to a 7’ landing pad. Since this is the #8 jump in the jump line I figure it is a good progression jump for people working their way up to more airtime.

After this will be a large step down then a creek gap jump. I figure 10 jumps in sequence is a good number

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-c429f6d6-6016-496d-86bb-a71c7bd0167f.jpeg  

2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

Spin-stabilized
    Dad o'clock session at Rockville. Smaller wheels have always worked better here, at least before all the B-lines and ride-arounds.
    https://youtu.be/lrXhMlVZD-4

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

Spin-stabilized
    Nextdoor neighbor has 6 rides under his belt. I taught him how to ride this techy section. He was wondering why it was necessary to cut a boring bypass that's dozens of yards long to avoid this fun section. "Why not just walk it or try to progress?", he said. Attaboy.
    https://youtu.be/3e5yQ2iRgdQ

He made it on the 3rd try.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Also did some exploring and found this mining claim - seems like somebody is still actively mining this spot

Some really nice pics, dude!

Makes my mouth beer, err, water.
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout View Post
    Nextdoor neighbor has 6 rides under his belt. I taught him how to ride this techy section. He was wondering why it was necessary to cut a boring bypass that's dozens of yards long to avoid this fun section. "Why not just walk it or try to progress?" he said. Attaboy.
    https://youtu.be/3e5yQ2iRgdQ

He made it on the 3rd try.
    Rockville?

Oops, missed your other post. D'oh.

George Orwell

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Quick 3 to test out some tweaks I made to the turn prior to the new jump. It’s a go!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D51FCAF7-C5EB-4DB1-BEC4-B94DD9C22C1D.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	1343163

Happy Fathers Day to everyone!
    I love pics like this one- I used to take them of JFR all the time.

George Orwell

Formerly dvo
    One for the road.

Four more days in Ashland. 6 runs, nearly 30k feet of high quality descending. Home in time for dinner.

I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Drove down to the south bay to visit my parents. Mountain bike is in the shop so brought my road bike. Disappointing to see Coyote Creek trail in such rough shape near the golf course up on the northern end. Chop shop is definitely keeping busy there.

Today's ride went well so I think I may try for a century some time in the future. Legs felt good but probably need to get my nutrition a bit more dialed first.

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-screen-shot-2020-06-21-7.22.30-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Back side of China Camp was nice today. Only saw two other riders.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I love pics like this one- I used to take them of JFR all the time.
    LOL, I love this perspective as well . Off the jump, I should’ve shot a wide angle and backed it up a tad, tilting just a bit more to the horizon.

Oh well, next time
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

Paper or plastic?
    UC and beyond this morning. It was less busy than usual, which was surprising. Perfect temps and good dirt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    Back side of China Camp was nice today. Only saw two other riders.
    CC for me and a few friends on Saturday... it's surprising how it can look busy with so many cars parked along the road but then on trail it's not horrible.

Up In Smoke
    Ord sucks, unless you ride fat or enjoy the sand/windy season.

fc
    had some really good rides with kid and buds. Ate well too.

My genius move was to ask my wife to cook two dinners so I could bring one to my dad. He was beyond stoked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-img_1210.jpg  

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-img_9524.jpg  

IPA will save America

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by akdmx View Post
    I'm starting to doubt that you're actually DMX with an AK.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ Yeah, but it's always a good day when you don't have to use your AK.

Got in 5 campus laps this morning. The fog drip didn't really materialize, but at least it was cool and the trails were still really fun--with some intermittent dark meat.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    After sessioning the new jump, decided to make it a table. I like it a lot and think it will give a bigger jump for people to hit for progression without be scared of making a gap. Had a few hours to burn in the afternoon before some evening meeting so braved the heat and put in the next jump which is a decent size step down. Everyone’s favorite

One more jump to go which will be a creek gap jump then the new and improved jumpline is done!

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-59eb4393-3626-4e10-86e1-3f39c8f6eeef.jpg

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-01cbd504-a2b1-4d65-b1c7-bf28170a27eb.jpg

Once I get the last jump in and we ride it a bit to let the dirt and wood settle, I’ll mud / concrete it up for maximum smooth launchage!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

Trail Gnome
    ^^^

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Well the economy is so bad these days, fools are stripping beach cruisers.

Name:	IMG_4518.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	551.2 KB 
ID:	1343071
    Looks like your kinda rig.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-img_0248.jpg

Usual Water Dog loop but decided to dust off the full squish instead of riding the HT. Going back to having rear suspension feels SOOO cushy.

mtbr member
    Put together a quick Sail Hatan segment video:

2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    A couple of pics from this mornings ride trying out some of the new jumps on the jumpline. Two of us made the creek gap (14'3") but you have to haul ass as the take off isn't quite steep enough. That will be fixed tomorrow morning!

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-img_3898.jpg

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-img_3897.jpg

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-img_3899.jpg

I need to shoot a segment video for the Jumpline, its getting pretty good
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    I’ll post this here since it’s not NorCal but I honestly think this is some of the best MTB footage ever recorded. If you don’t follow Remy you are missing out!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    ^^ Penthouse

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Back at it! 20 miles tonight. Was on pavement, but felt so good to be able to ride again.

jlj
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    DV Fri-Sat - it was pretty damn hot and crowded in town - popular trails are getting dry and blown pretty quickly but still in good shape overall - lesser ridden trails are running great - amazing scenery right now!

That rock roll looks rad. Where is it?

Up In Smoke
    Big crowds out at Ord yesterday evening. Aren't the gyms opening up sometime soon?

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Definitely one of the best places to ride around here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ I love how you're crushing it--but you have the smooth-jazz commentary like you're at a golf tournament! And the music was molto bene.

Also, it's cool that one of the Chippendale dudes joined you for the ride!
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    ^^ I love how you're crushing it--but you have the smooth-jazz commentary like you're at a golf tournament! And the music was molto bene.

Also, it's cool that one of the Chippendale dudes joined you for the ride!
    Hahaha, never thought of it that way. It's just how I feel though I think, relaxed. Mr Chippendale says he rides shirtless so he mentally he wont go full send. I just like it cause I think he'll help me gain female subscribers... 😂

mtbr member
    MrPercussive -- Awesome bunch of recents vids on your YT channel! You've been having some fun rides
    Glad you survived that crash alright.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    MrPercussive -- Awesome bunch of recents vids on your YT channel! You've been having some fun rides
    Glad you survived that crash alright.
    Thanks man... i'm barely working right now so i thought i'd give this youtube thing a go... Living off savings and I guess I'll only worry come August... Til then, imma ride bikes... haha

Ooooo... that Tahoe one... Yea man, i just couldn't ride a bike that day. Day trip was a bad idea with the elevation. Was just hold on for survival and get to the bottom riding blind on trail ive never ridden before... That was rough...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlj View Post
    That rock roll looks rad. Where is it?
    Yeah it's a cool little alt-line feature off of Gold Valley Rim trail - fun & steep enough but but super steep or anything and the run-out is good - even the little trail to climb up to the slab roll is cool and nicely built

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    I’ll post this here since it’s not NorCal but I honestly think this is some of the best MTB footage ever recorded. If you don’t follow Remy you are missing out!
    Ah, Remy. His on bike commentary is so casual while he's riding crazy ass double black trails in Squamish. He'll nose manual steep slabs, calling all his shots, then follow each giant rock roll, drop, or jump with a semi-bored "Nice."

mtbr member
    My friend pulled this out his garage and got it up and running. It still had the original “swamp thing” Maxxis tires on it until now. Anyone remember those with the cool logos?

fc

June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report

Been riding every other day with kid on E. In three weeks, he's now a better descended than me... again.

On the off days, pedal bike, no assist. Quite a bit shorter rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-img_1305.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by fc; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:58 AM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-img_0272.jpg

For the JMP locals... JMP and then Sparky's = can't complain about much (although I probably undid all the cardio work put in. =P)

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	1344441

For the JMP locals... JMP and then Sparky's = can't complain about much (although I probably undid all the cardio work put in. =P)
    Post ride jmp standard!

jrm
    mtbr member
    Yup. Perfect distance from home when bonking...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    Post ride jmp standard!

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	1344441

Onion rings

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    Onion rings

that tempura batter!

mtbr member
    Decided to change up my ride today..instead of full Enduro UC mode took out the Sb45c to Wilder. I haven't ridden hear in years and forgot how beautiful it is..

Did the counterclockwise loop, but will probably need to do it clockwise next time.

Fyi don't take the Baldwin loop down to Hwy 1!! It was so overgrown like it had not been hiked or ridden in over a year!!

Great change of pace and different satisfaction vs full Enduro UC mode..

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    New day and another new to me place. I enjoyed it a lot. We had trail moisture at the top of our climb up S. Burma. Trails remind me a bit of UC and Confluence mixed together...

Hot the Trail House for lunch which was cool also..

Acre Coffee has an amazing "churro muffin" fyi

Will be back..

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

Sep 2010
    June 19 - June 25 ride, ride, ride report-img_7182.jpgThat Acre Coffee "Muffin" with tattoos all over her arms is sweet! I did small rip in Oaktown

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive View Post
    that tempura batter!
    Yep! Onion rings, hand cut fries... grease bomb.