June 12 - June 18 exploring report- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

June 12 - June 18 exploring report

Ok, the road trip plans are starting to formulate.

Camping gear is in high demand and RV rentals are starting to get overbooked.

What are your plans?

The only thing predictable in my rides now is sketchy dirt and poison oak. So awesome though.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Being full time now in Bear Valley has allowed me to do much more riding and early season trail clearing. Things up here are really opening up with only the very high trails like around mosquito lakes still having snow issues. This weekend I'll head out again with chainsaw in pack and clear the rest of the trails around Lake Alpine.
    Got word this morning that some campgrounds around the lake are opening this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Got in 5 quick laps today in the 831. The dirt was surprisingly good. Back tomorrow!
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-img_0193.jpg

I'll be first to post a pic. Nothing exciting... just my usual JMP loop but the flavor has been new since spending more time on a hardtail.

It's quite amazing what a hardtail can do to mix things up on the same trails. I see myself at the hardtail party for a bit while letting my full squish collect some dust.

Question for you guys that know Sawpit well. If I'm heading to Demo and planning on a lap of Braille and Flow, I'm going to bring my full squish. If I'm planning all 'Flow' then I'm bringing my hardtail. If I'm doing Flow and Sawpit, what do you guys recommend for the first Sawpit visit?

Up In Smoke
    ^Nice, good to see I'm not the only one that still has a fender attached mid June.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    ^Nice, good to see I'm not the only one that still has a fender attached mid June.
    It stays on 365 days a year... one of my primary reasons that I run one was due to a bad experience with cow pies; I spend some time in the East Bay and CAN'T STAND poop on me. =P

mtbr member
    Riding around doing urban skate and bike session with my son. No handrails for me anymore.

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-img_4439.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Question for you guys that know Sawpit well. If I'm heading to Demo and planning on a lap of Braille and Flow, I'm going to bring my full squish. If I'm planning all 'Flow' then I'm bringing my hardtail. If I'm doing Flow and Sawpit, what do you guys recommend for the first Sawpit visit?
    If you would be okay riding your hardtail down Braille (even if you don't prefer to), then I expect you'd have plenty of fun with the hardtail on Sawpit. If Braille is something like 30% rough/rooty and 70% more flowy/loamy, then Sawpit might be more like 5-7% rough/rooty/rocky. It's just a much longer trail and there are big sections where it's just fun, flowy trail through the forest. The tech sections are more rocky than Braille but I don't think they're any steeper or harder.

FWIW I have only a 100mm travel XC bike (FS) so I ride that on all of them.

mtbr member
    If I'm doing Flow and Sawpit, what do you guys recommend for the first Sawpit visit?
    Your hardtail will be just fine for Sawpit.

mtbr member
    Did a pretty big trail maintenance / new features pull:

- Picked (literally) out a few stretches of star thistle along the backside.
    - Added a new small drop to the backside before the half pipe. I sunk it in pretty deep but that's a decent size rock, like 150 lbs or so.:
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-img_3702.jpg

- Walked a little further and cleaned up a corner that was hard to carry speed on, should be a lot easier now!
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-img_3703.jpg

- Picked high spots and tweaked another corner on my way over to Sail Hatan. (No pic)

- 1st thing on Sail Hatan is added a chute to a new drop. Going to be good
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-img_3705.jpg

- After the chute is a rock roll to a berm to another small rock drop:
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-img_3707.jpg

Can't wait to get all of it cleaned up and prime for shreddage!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    was able to ride around yard for 10 minutes, pretty winded but its a start!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    was able to ride around yard for 10 minutes, pretty winded but its a start!!!!!!
    Ride as often as you can, even if just for a few minutes. You’ll be back at it soon enough. Heal fast my brother!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Ride as often as you can, even if just for a few minutes. You’ll be back at it soon enough. Heal fast my brother!
    will do! TY brother. Also walked a 1/4 mile tonight between rain showers. Everyday gaining more strength.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
    Your hardtail will be just fine for Sawpit.
    Thanks for the feedback. Hardtail it is... it's been refreshing being back on a HT; gotta do it while these bones still can.

mtbr member
    Just pulled in Northstar this afternoon for a weekend of Truckee/Tahoe shuttling #miraclejune . We got rain tonight so hero dirt tomorrow

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Sometimes you dig with a friend then get all Shreddy McShred Face!

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-af6346a4-c239-4936-a169-7a2e855b4373.jpeg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-f65aa5b6-0091-49f2-90ab-d519c9dac25d.jpeg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-ccac8a75-a130-4a93-9de9-08237211b68e.jpeg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-47bd6f69-2244-482d-88f9-fa3f9bc55390.jpeg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Was hoping for some moisture on the trails after yesterday's forecast, but the trails in Auburn were dry, dry, dry. Still, fun times fo sho.

This was the first ride on my new to me DHX2 Coil with climb switch (thanx, pinkbike!). Mini review: FKN awesome.
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-9b0e9267-2ff0-427a-97bf-4b254f19b67a.jpg
    Between that and a recently installed 30T elliptical, I was able to clean the climb up Shortcut Trail, which was a first for me. So, super stoked.
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-9e004d7c-ff7b-4b8a-b97d-6315041237ab.jpg

Dropping Rocky Trail today was a game of Pinoy Pachinko; there must have been at least two dozen riders sessioning the ‘actually rocky’ final pitch. I hope you Bay Area dudes had fun riding Auburn, between Stonewall/Rocky and Grizzly Bear, your guide showed you some of the spiciest, most fun trails in the area.

Fun times in the Nor Cal!
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-84526e49-bb0a-42a6-b07d-a31448d2820d.jpeg

Also, way to go Colorado!
    Name:  099A92C8-1B66-473E-AAE9-02EA1081CC14.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  42.1 KB
    Last edited by parkmeister; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:19 PM.
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Instagram: _parkmeister

Formerly dvo
    Ashland last weekend, Toads today with my son for my 55th birthday . Lovers leap tomorrow? Back to Ashland for a long weekend with the wife next weekend. Making hay baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    2 laps on Tyrolian
    1 Martis Peak

Cool weather and good friends made for a great time...

Dirt was drier than expected since they got rain and light snow last night..

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    This made my butt pucker... Mistakes happen when you're tired and you should probably stop... Fun day though...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBWtFFtlTCm/

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    Ashland last weekend, Toads today with my son for my 55th birthday . Lovers leap tomorrow? Back to Ashland for a long weekend with the wife next weekend. Making hay baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy birthday!!!
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Rode out to Demo for a quick Flow loop and then rode back home.
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-img_0797.jpgJune 12 - June 18 exploring report-img_0799.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/3610403317

Paper or plastic?
    Lost and found east Bay edition. 3 of us did our local version of a gravel grinder. Not as pretty as the Lost Sierra, but a good time nonetheless.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

jrm
    mtbr member
    Route?

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Route?
    Niles - Palomares - Castro Valley Blvd - Redwood Road - Brandon down to Ten Hills - Redwood Road - Castro Valley Blvd - Five Canyons - StoneBrae country club - down to Fremont through Garin/Dry Creek - Decoto Road back home. (45 miles, 4500')

For more dirt and more hike a bike:

Up Garin/Dry Creek (hope you like walking) - StoneBrae country club - Ridge trail through Five Canyon park - back through Palomares. 35 miles, 3600'.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    16 local. Hit the new stuff, yummy Definitely took mental notes for some tweaks for better flow. I‘ll do a dig session later.

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-9aeecc12-ae91-4c7c-802b-c6e9092d9602.jpeg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-361a8fd6-2d25-4a66-a9a7-e64a2e9b971b.jpeg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-dbbe9864-d09a-4420-93a1-fb8e51e104ac.jpeg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

I rot before I ripen
    Yesterday rode Pony Express from Echo Summit to Kyburz. Epic dirt on Upper XP. Epic flowers on Lower XP. Approximately 20 miles, 4.5 hours of riding, 3k feet downhill.

Upper XP dirt magic:

More dirt love on the backside of Lover's Leap:

Top of Leap:

Crossing Forni Creek on Lower XP:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 12 - June 18 exploring report-20200613_144422.jpg  

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-20200613_155657.jpg  

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-20200613_161714.jpg  

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-20200613_172522.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. Hardtail it is... it's been refreshing being back on a HT; gotta do it while these bones still can.
    My philosophy as well.
    You’re prolly much smoother than me, but careful about sessioning jumps or drops. Really fun on HT especially the quicker timing needed on jumps, but, wow, easy to overdo it and my body pays for it big time for next couple days. Even on smallish jumps.

mtbr member
    Just finished a 3 hour hot as f&$k dig. Sail Hatan just got rowdier with a new drop . Also smoothed out a few sections that this mornings ride indicated needs fixing. I can tell you moving a 300+ lbs rock by yourself sucks. Ill add pics later.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Just finished six days of riding and 75 miles in Sedona. I think I'm finally used to the heat, but I've been getting up at 6:30 to avoid it.

They've been building a bunch in the West Sedona area as well as some other places. I've ridden just about everything here aside from Hangover. It's my third trip in five years. Some of the lesser known standouts for me included Javelina, Tea Cup, Pyramid, Ground Control, and Axis. They've finally figured out how to make a trail flow here.

mtbr member
    It was warm today in Auburn. Got an early start, but still felt the heat. The yesterday's high, thin overcast was nowhere to be seen today, and that direct blast of sunshine really sapped my strength. This just in: getting old sucks.

Here's one of the many optional and fun lines on Confluence Trail:

In this shot, my approach was way slower than usual, which affected my my balance and line. I'm lucky I didn't go over the bars, the Lyrik saved me from my sloppiness. whew. The camera stayed in the backpack for the rest of the ride.
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Instagram: _parkmeister

More pie please

Out to Mustang Peak, Henry Coe State Park (yesterday)

Usually, the second Saturday of June is the date for the Hunting Hollow 10k which means a pack-jam parking lot. But today, (mandatory) plenty of space:

Cool and windy morning on the Jim Donnelly Trail:

Steer Ridge Road:

Today's target, Mustang Peak:

The "geocache" on the very tippy-top of Mustang Peak:

This seismology station at Mustang Peak is relatively new:

County Line Road:

Official temperature Pacheco Camp 4:21pm:

The Coit Lake Perimeter Trail is pretty poison-oaky; not recommended right now.

When returning on the Grizzly Gulch Trail, I like arriving at the Dexter intersection because from here it is 99.9% downhill-to-the-car.

Boars, Grizzly Gulch Trail.

California State Parks has announced that parking passes have been extended generally 3 months but those which expired March 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020 (like mine) are extended to September 30, 2020!

Long live long rides

Registered Jong
    Made it to annadale this weekend. Was able to stop by Russian river to pick up a few plineys. Lot was pretty packed but the trails seemd pretty empty.

Santa rosa seems to be opening soon.

SPent all last week in flagstaff->Sedona->kernville riding and shuttling. Go to Kernville if you haven't

Registered Jong
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Just finished six days of riding and 75 miles in Sedona. I think I'm finally used to the heat, but I've been getting up at 6:30 to avoid it.

They've been building a bunch in the West Sedona area as well as some other places. I've ridden just about everything here aside from Hangover. It's my third trip in five years. Some of the lesser known standouts for me included Javelina, Tea Cup, Pyramid, Ground Control, and Axis. They've finally figured out how to make a trail flow here.

Literally was riding my evil in Sedona last week. The heat is no joke after 9am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol2Ne View Post
    Literally was riding my evil in Sedona last week. The heat is no joke after 9am.
    What's great about Sedona... Haircuts!

Registered Jong
    What's great about Sedona... Haircuts!
    That and I think my Shakras are now aligned. Goodness, I thought Shasta CA was kook town, Sedona is like the harvard of crystal healing.

mtbr member
    That and I think my Shakras are now aligned. Goodness, I thought Shasta CA was kook town, Sedona is like the harvard of crystal healing.
    Also, the Boynton Canyon ocarina/flute man gave my whole family a stone heart.

mtbr member
    Day 2 here in Truckee and went back for another shuttle run on Martis.

Then headed over to Yogi/Jackass area ..

Man I don't want to leave tonight!

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-img_5179.jpg
    A couple days late, but the first time I've made it to my computer to load the photo since then. I took my "new" xc bike up the fireroad to Sandy Point in Nisene Marks while my friend rode his cx.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    California State Parks has announced that parking passes have been extended generally 3 months but those which expired March 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020 (like mine) are extended to September 30, 2020!
    That's great news! Mine expired in May. Thanks for the heads up.
    2017 Jamis DragonSlayer Pro
    1995 Trek 930

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by looks easy from here View Post
    That's great news! Mine expired in May. Thanks for the heads up.
    Yeah, unexpected and great news! It is stated here in their COVID-19 FAQs:

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30379

Nearish the bottom.
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    My philosophy as well.
    You’re prolly much smoother than me, but careful about sessioning jumps or drops. Really fun on HT especially the quicker timing needed on jumps, but, wow, easy to overdo it and my body pays for it big time for next couple days. Even on smallish jumps.
    Absolutely agree... there's been a learning curve for me relearning how to jump a hardtail on trail and using my legs for suspension. Good times! Been spoiled with 29 inch wheels, 2.5 wide tire, 6 inches of travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-scout-cha.jpg

Just a few hot laps at Waterdog. Continuing the hardtail party among the most number of hikers that I've ever seen at the dog. Still fun.

Nice job to the folks that built the little bridge going across the muddy spot on Lake Loop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Heard a bunch of sirens climbing tractor this evening. By the time I got over there a fire truck and truck were leaving the scene at a tractor/segment intersection. Assume another casualty on flow.

Mosquitos were horrible.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ladeekus View Post
    Being full time now in Bear Valley has allowed me to do much more riding and early season trail clearing. Things up here are really opening up with only the very high trails like around mosquito lakes still having snow issues. This weekend I'll head out again with chainsaw in pack and clear the rest of the trails around Lake Alpine.
    Got word this morning that some campgrounds around the lake are opening this weekend.

Is Utica Reservoir open?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Not sure. My plans for messed up and I didn't make it out there last weekend. I know some campgrounds are open but not all. My guess is Utica is open. Verify with Stanislaus FS website.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Tamarack Area

Did some exploring around Tamarack which is near Bear Valley. Rode Lower Tamarack, Rodeo Clown, and explored some other trails.

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-052b033b-1b10-4062-a3ac-c97cb3855193.jpg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-35550fd1-6c6d-4728-9daa-628e8782a1ad.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 12 - June 18 exploring report-14ac8476-c9e3-4343-a05e-5aff4f449a27.jpg  

Anybody can ski the groomed

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Up in Truckee, checked out the newish trail over in Coldstream/Jackass area. The Jelly just keeps getting sweeter. Perfect ride for my new Hightower. Can't wait to get back there.

Took my nephew for his first MTB ride on the Rim Trail from Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel. He did great -- only OTB'd once!
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Made it to annadale this weekend.
    Where is Annadale? Google Maps shows it’s in Staten Island, New York.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^^ That was a spelling error.

It's Annandale (Virginia).
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

Up In Smoke
    Cars are being broken into at trailheads(fort ord) and bikes are being stolen like mad here in MoCo, but I'm sure that's going on all around the state.

Ride your bike more so thieves have less chances to steal it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Cars are being broken into at trailheads(fort ord) and bikes are being stolen like mad here in MoCo, but I'm sure that's going on all around the state.

Ride your bike more so thieves have less chances to steal it.
    I've been riding from home for about 2 months now. Up to Montebello, Russian Ridge and Skeggs. Working up to rides to Demo, Big Basin, maybe SC, which would be a big day from Palo Alto. #Jobst #Skyline35

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Did the Lost Sierra Trifecta on Saturday (Hough, Mills, DVille) and topped it off with a run down Gold Valley Rim/BabyHeads/BigBoulder on Sunday. Conditions were chocalate cake prime!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Also, the Boynton Canyon ocarina/flute man gave my whole family a stone heart.
    We went to Sedona last spring. Was out riding, and that man gave us hearts as well.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Lunch ride / dig combo. Ride up Super Flow holding a rake lol, a bit scary. Got to Sail Hatan, ditched the rake and cranked out a lap. Bottom drop still too tight. Moved it again! The rock below is what makes up the bulk of the drop. Sucks balls moving by yourself, lol!

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-b536577b-fff7-4517-bf91-611525ac2a1b.jpg

Got that in, did some general sculpting including the new jump after the rib rock roll. This thing has a bit of a pop! After that, kept working up the DH and added a nice catch berm and connected bench after the Rock ‘S’ turn.

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-7e3ddc6d-0def-422f-b2d6-5a34ec1996de.jpeg

Since I just had a lunch “window” to work that’s all I got done. Rode a complete lap of the DH on the way out. Oh man it’s good! We should finish the rest of the turns and a jump or two more by the end of the week!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ladeekus View Post
    Not sure. My plans for messed up and I didn't make it out there last weekend. I know some campgrounds are open but not all. My guess is Utica is open. Verify with Stanislaus FS website.

Bear Valley was a lot of fun, unfortunately it's been 1.5 years. Hopefully, I can make it back up there this year. I need to ride Odin this time around though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    "Cars are being broken into at trailheads(fort ord)"

Which specific ord trailheads has this happened at lately?
    Ride or die.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Bear Valley was a lot of fun, unfortunately it's been 1.5 years. Hopefully, I can make it back up there this year. I need to ride Odin this time around though.
    Did the Fat Tire Festival @ Bear Valley last year. Really some super fun rides out there. And lots of cool gigantic granate slabs.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by chudaman View Post
    "Cars are being broken into at trailheads(fort ord)"

Which specific ord trailheads has this happened at lately?
    From what I'm hearing, no trailhead is safe. Inter-garrison/JerrySmith Corridor seems most susceptible.

mtbr member
    Ride dig ride back to Sail Hatan. Just want to keep chipping away at it. Added a berm below the biggest rock slab then another berm in the middle portion of an S turn made by two small slabs. Did some additional sculpting and rock work. Overall flowing good! A few more features to go and it will be done!

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-cacc3504-11bd-4e4f-b95a-64a2800088bc.jpeg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-c14af2ce-8346-45fb-ad03-4f78d185fc65.jpeg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-772cc0ac-bdca-46ee-8927-acb8e12adced.jpeg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-0712998e-e414-41a0-866e-29bb3fe14349.jpg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Easy ride at UC...decided to checkout a newerish trail crossing over one of my faves...led to a big road gap jump .

Summer dirt conditions are here

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    ^^ That was a spelling error.

It's Annandale (Virginia).
    Riiiight… understood. Don’t want too many people flooding the trails in Annadel.

mtbr member
    Lunchtime ride and dig. Added a new berm / corner to the exit and a new bermed S turn before the slab. General sculpting and digging. Probably one more session and the “trail” digging will be done. From there it’s refining, polishing and maybe adding a few more features.

Exit:
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-a0deb339-f1dc-4737-ad5a-7c690de740d4.jpg

Up near the top:
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-19ba477f-370f-4b34-98d8-2fba16668383.jpg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-3bbeeb10-5f17-45f3-aaee-429b012338b9.jpg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-e6eb6e3c-3a86-45d3-8ecf-84d73c6299bf.jpeg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

Professional Troll
    Did a death ride at Demo/Nisene this weekend on the Tallboy V4. I was hoping it was gonna be cooler. I was gonna try another lap at Nisene, but ran out of water

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-screen-shot-2020-06-17-2.36.39-pm.png

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-screen-shot-2020-06-17-2.36.30-pm.png

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-img_0231.jpg

Lunch hour loop at Augustine Bernal for those that know it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Did a death ride at Demo/Nisene this weekend on the Tallboy V4. I was hoping it was gonna be cooler. I was gonna try another lap at Nisene, but ran out of water

That's a pretty stout pace for that much elevation. My rule of thumb on my long rides now is 10 miles, 1000 feet of gain, 1 hour of pedaling (+/- 15 min depending on terrain).

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Roughster

Roughster, where is this trail that you work on? I see what you post on the trail building forum and I'd like to try your trail. My daughter lives in Santa Cruz so when I visit her I like to rent a bike and ride the local trails. They kick my ass! I'm a flat lander and that Demo trail climb dang near killed me. I've also ridden the Wilder Ranch. I want to explore more when I visit her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgy View Post
    Roughster, where is this trail that you work on? I see what you post on the trail building forum and I'd like to try your trail. My daughter lives in Santa Cruz so when I visit her I like to rent a bike and ride the local trails. They kick my ass! I'm a flat lander and that Demo trail climb dang near killed me. I've also ridden the Wilder Ranch. I want to explore more when I visit her.
    Not really close to Santa Cruz is the problem, but not that far away ... Too far to ride to them from SC unless you're Gemini2k05 (bad ass ride by the way!)

I am pretty obsessive so the trail gets better every day. I just took my son up for his first lap on Sail Hatan. I'll let the pics speak for themselves

Rock slabs, yeah we got those:
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-sail-1a.jpg

Jumps on steeps? Yeah we got those too!
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-sail-2a.jpg

But what about loamy drops? Yep...
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-sail-3a.jpg

More slabs / drops to big fat-ass berms? Uh huh!
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-sail-4a.jpg

But, come one man, I like to catch big air, okay...
    June 12 - June 18 exploring report-sail-5a.jpg

Because I am only playing with a little over 500' elevation, this area has a lot of DHs punctuated by shorter climbs. It's more like Rockville, less like Demo/Skyline. I feel guilty keeping it local, but not quite done with the harder black / double black lines. Once those go in, I'll be a little more free with the info.

Tomorrow going to be another dig, ride, dig kind of day After Sail Hatan, I'm starting the Drop Zone build. This is going to be my first attempt at building shit that will kill you.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Oh and after we walked the line, I towed my son in and he fired off all the big features first go. He was so pumped at the end his voice was shaky. We went right back up and did a second lap to cement it. Proud ****ing dad right here

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-sail-7.jpg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    That's a pretty stout pace for that much elevation. My rule of thumb on my long rides now is 10 miles, 1000 feet of gain, 1 hour of pedaling (+/- 15 min depending on terrain).
    Most my rides are usually around 5 miles per 1000’ climbed. I hate flat or rolling terrain, give me the fastest way up the hill and the steepest way down.

Up In Smoke
    Sand is getting deep at Ord. Fast and slick otherwise

More pie please
    A couple pictures from my usual Montebello/Skyline Ridge/Russian Ridge/Dirt Alpine area ride today.

A calm Wednesday like the pre-pandemic days; very little traffic on the roads and few people in the Preserves.

Super clear, gusty and mid-70ºs up in the hills (mid-80ºs at home). The Pacific is visible in both photos.

Bobcat sighting on Charquin where it kicks up to meet the Mindego Lake Road.
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Most my rides are usually around 5 miles per 1000’ climbed. I hate flat or rolling terrain, give me the fastest way up the hill and the steepest way down.
    Yeah, I've been doing longer rides as of late, 40-50 milers. The 5 mile/1000' is fine for 20-25 miles, but beyond that the elevation starts adding up, at least for me.

mtbr member
    Went to Calero yesterday for my normal loop and I guess someone thought it was too technical so they removed the little dirt lump that used to be around the corner from Lisa's Lookout.
    The dirt is relatively fresh so maybe it was done in the past couple of days. So far the 3 or 4 other "kickers" down to Cottle were still there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sail Hatan is open for business! Got up early and did some digging and sculpting on the last few corners / features. My buddy came up a little later and help put in the final few touches. We rode two laps and bailed, but plan on riding a bigger loop later this morning.

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-img_3803.jpg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-img_3804.jpg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Sail Hatan is open for business! Got up early and did some digging and sculpting on the last few corners / features. My buddy came up a little later and help put in the final few touches. We rode two laps and bailed, but plan on riding a bigger loop later this morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3803.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	295.0 KB 
ID:	1342437

Name:	IMG_3804.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	459.3 KB 
ID:	1342439
    looks like near six flags - oppo side of hwy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 2.36.39 PM.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	1342265

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 2.36.30 PM.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	375.0 KB 
ID:	1342267
    Wow that is a monster ride nice job!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Rounds 1 & 2 of 4. These were warm up laps to refresh the memory on what's big and what's not. Wanted the quick refresher of the lines to gauge what I'd be comfortable hitting on this bike to make sure I stay out of trouble. Must say though, the more laps I get in, the braver I become despite the more tired I get. The later laps does get a little stupid as you will see from pt3 because of the combination of courage and fatigue. But that's for another upload. You'll just have to wait it out to watch what happens for lap3 and lap4! 😝

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    Easy ride at UC...decided to checkout a newerish trail crossing over one of my faves...led to a big road gap jump .

Summer dirt conditions are here

That trail has been there for years in various forms (as has that road gap). I used to hit that thing all the time, sometimes with no pads and a half-lid, which is stupid... but is apparently coming back into style thanks to the EndurBro™ crowd. Guess I was just ahead of the times... Here's a lame pic from like 2007, it doesn't even look big from this angle!

Speaking of "summer dirt conditions", that's the main problem with that hit. The drop itself is super smooth (just big, obviously), the problem is not losing it in the catch berm. When it gets dry that berm gets super slippery with marbly dirt. The last time I hit it, I literally woke up in the in the hospital the next day with no idea how I got there! YMMV...

Posted on a separate thread about crashing:

While we're talking about injuries and helmets... aside from that surgery I had a pretty good run of not banging my head until a few years ago when I woke up in the hospital with no idea how I got there. I pieced it together later from GoPro footage and other spelunking: ~30 foot stepdown gap into a berm, washed out in the berm and over the edge into a tree, which fortunately I just grazed and didn't hit head-on. Some guys found me sitting there like an hour later and totally out of it, apparently I rode out of there with them to their car and they drove me to the hospital but I don't remember any of it. The funny-in-retrospect thing about that particular incident was that it happened 3 weeks before I was supposed to go heli-boarding in AK. There were some hairline fractures of some bones in my face that they were concerned with, so I followed up with an ENT surgeon. After he determined no surgery was needed, I was like "uh, so I'm supposed to go heli-boarding in AK in a few weeks, is that a problem?" The doc goes, "well, I can't tell you not to go... but if you do go, don't fall on your face!". (I went; it was awesome)

mtb'er
    Luther to Strawberry... so good!

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-p1120672.jpg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-p1120685.jpg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-p1120720.jpg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-p1120742.jpg

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-p1120761.jpg

Up In Smoke
    ^Cool photos! That looks like some fun riding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    Luther to Strawberry... so good!

That looks awesome!

Did a Turbo loop with my riding buddy (13 miles). It was getting hot but got some decent shots albeit looks like I had some dust on the lens

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails June 12 - June 18 exploring report-1-slab.jpg  

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-2-jump.jpg  

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-3-tree.jpg  

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-4-rock.jpg  

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-5-jump.jpg  

2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Waiting for the jump to dry, used mud to cement it, so I can ride it, record it, and see exactly where the landing needs to be for an at trail speed hit and landing. Waiting sucks ...

June 12 - June 18 exploring report-63204ee8-33b6-493f-9ab2-24a45ea626ae.jpg
    ... but it sure is looking sexy!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    That trail has been there for years in various forms (as has that road gap). I used to hit that thing all the time, sometimes with no pads and a half-lid, which is stupid... but is apparently coming back into style thanks to the EndurBro crowd. Guess I was just ahead of the times... Here's a lame pic from like 2007, it doesn't even look big from this angle!

Speaking of "summer dirt conditions", that's the main problem with that hit. The drop itself is super smooth (just big, obviously), the problem is not losing it in the catch berm. When it gets dry that berm gets super slippery with marbly dirt. The last time I hit it, I literally woke up in the in the hospital the next day with no idea how I got there! YMMV...

Posted on a separate thread about crashing:
    Yeah I could see that . Above my pay grade

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am just surprised you can build anything with how dry and dusty it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    I am just surprised you can build anything with how dry and dusty it is.
    Combo of wood, dry dirt, sculpting aka digging down and mud from a nearby creek!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Rode out to Demo for a quick Flow loop and then rode back home.

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	565.4 KB 
ID:	1341475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0799.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	357.9 KB 
ID:	1341479

https://www.strava.com/activities/3610403317
    Store patio is open again, hallelujah!

I'll be there tomorrow after crushing ye Pit of Saw.