Joaquin Miller Park Trails to Ride...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Joaquin Miller Park Trails to Ride...

rode there for the first (and second) time this weekend. first ride was by myself, second with my son.

i found the trails not to be marked very well and i got lost a couple of times, ending up on skyline or castle drive. i started at the bayview sequoia trailhead and road it out as far as i could over to castle rock trail. i ended up going down the road to the beginning of sunset trail and rode sunset back up, but to be honest couldn't make it up in a couple of spots towards the top (roots, rocks, loose gravel and steep). funny that every other biker i saw on sunset was going down, not up...curious if any of you find that rideable, if so my hat's off to you!!

i'd appreciate any suggestions as to rideable loops in the park on legal trails. also where do you hook into redwood regional which i've ridden...i know it's across the street somewhere and it would be fun to do a loop of westridge and then into joaquin miller.

thanks!!

richard cohen
    Last edited by cohenfive; 05-18-2004 at 02:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Joaquin Miller was pretty well signed a couple of years ago, but some of the signs have been vandalized. The general layout of the park is a bit of a maze, but once you know it you can piece together some good rides with minimal backtracking. From Sequoia Bayview you can descend via either Chapparal or Cinderella at the north end. Also Castle Park, but that trail is in bad shape (read, worse than the other two). Upper and Lower Palos Colorados are legal and signed down to the cabin. Sinawik Trail and Loop are signed and open, as is Sunset Loop.

Big Trees Trail goes from Sequoia Bay View at Skyline up to Skyline again. Turn left before going onto the road and go less than 100 yards and descend Big Trees back to Sequoia Bay View.

I connect to Redwood in three different places:

1. Chabot Observatory's driveway descends right into a singletrack. Go left at the bottom to get to the top of Cinderella.

2. Where Big Trees meets Skyline at the top of Big Trees.

3. From the Big Trees, Palos, SBV intersection, you can go up Skyline about 50 yards to a gate on the right. Follow the little singletrack and descend the stairs. Trail makes a u-turn at the bottom of the stairs and dumps you onto a fire road in Redwood (actually, maybe Roberts, but connects to Redwood nonetheless).

I know you're looking for legal trails, but I mention this to others reading the post - Joaquin Miller remains a threatened riding location. Oakland's Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission has cycling as a "pending item" for consideration. A decision will be made one day soon, so please stay on the signed and legal trails. Evidence of new trail formation in the park exists - this is the surest way to get us kicked out of the park.

Happy riding.
    What would we do without trails?
    Get involved
    Join your local club and IMBA
    www.imba.com