Thread: Joaquin Miller

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Joaquin Miller

Where do you guys park when you go to Joaquin Miller? After reading posts of car break ins...looking for a safe place to park that is close to the trails

mtbr member
    Ranger station

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I park at Sequoia Bayview trailhead on Skyline.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I park at the Richard Trudeau conference center off of Skyline. It's pretty open and visible, and the extra climb up to redwood bowl adds some miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i was broken in to at the Sequoia Bay view trail head,a friend was broken in there twice.Park either at Bishops walk trail head or at the ranger station or Trudeau center.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    i was broken in to at the Sequoia Bay view trail head,a friend was broken in there twice.Park either at Bishops walk trail head or at the ranger station or Trudeau center.
    Yikes. Is Bishops Walk at the top of Big Trees Trail? Or is that the one down by the West-East Ridge connector trail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I typically park on Skyline at Sequoia Bayview but I normally ride weekend mornings when it is so busy I am not too worried about break-ins. I also leave nothing valuable in the car and keep doors unlocked.

mtbr member
    The Trudeau center lot has rashes of break-ins as well.

All of the lots and roadside parking areas do.

Definitely don't leave anything visible in a vehicle, and don't leave valuable stuff even if it is hidden. People will keep breaking into cars as long as they get rewarded for it.

mtbr member
    I prefer parking at the Ranger Station.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I tend to park at the bottom of Bishops. But I also don't use a gearbag so it might be the loose dirty/stinky laundry that deters break ins?

mtbr member
    Ranger station, every time.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    If its middle of the day, I feel safe enough parking anywhere on Skyline with all the traffic. But for a nite ride, Ranger Station or Bishop's for sure.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I have seen broken windows, or glass from broken windows at all spots mentioned, over the last 10 years. Been riding there about 20 yrs, but the break ins got really bad about 10-12 yrs ago. I never park near the park, always 1/2 mile away in any of the neighborhoods. I attempt to park in a way that it looks like my truck is at a particular house, vs "no mans land". Good luck!

mtbr member
    I usually park at the bottom by bishops walk. I havenít been broken into yet, but it doesnít mean it canít happen I donít even leave a charging cord visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I stopped driving up there about a year ago. Just too much broken window glass on the ground everywhere. I've been lucky to have never had a window smashed up there. Instead, I ride up tunnel road. Adds a 30min hill climb warmup to the ride, which I try to justify in my mind as "training". Sucks to have such a large percentage of the ride on pavement, but I see it as the only real option anymore.

mtbr member
    Cars get broken into EVERYWHERE up there. I haven't seen a parking spot that hasn't been hit at JMP.

I usually park on Joaquin Miller Rd, down at the bottom near the liquor store. So far I've been lucky, and I don't leave anything visible

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Surprised at so many people thinking parking at Bishop's Walk and/or the Abbey is safe.

That's easily where I see the most glass from break-ins. It's got to be the worst parking spot at JMP.

Why not park a block away in the neighborhood off Butters or Hedge Streets?
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    Surprised at so many people thinking parking at Bishop's Walk and/or the Abbey is safe.

That's easily where I see the most glass from break-ins. It's got to be the worst parking spot at JMP.

Why not park a block away in the neighborhood off Butters or Hedge Streets?

Someone in an older JMP thread recommended parking in front of Fire Station #25 on Butters, and then ride up Bishops Walk.

Works for me,

Catfish ...

Uncle
    Chadbourne or Hedge

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Wow, I must be an idiot! I've been riding there for a bit over a year. I'm always parked at the bottom of Bishop's, and I leave a bunch of gear visible in my car, AND I leave a trunk rack on there too!

Thanks for the tip guys, I'm stuffing everything in the car, even if that means I've gotta take off the rack and all that.

mtbr member
    Bottom of Bishops Walk, and at the upper and lower Big Trees trailheads is where I see the most broken glass.

(not including the broken 40s at the top of Bishops, of course)
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Natty Dread
    My car was broken into during the day, albeit late Friday, about two years back at the ranger station/community center parking lot. Funny enough- it was the first time I ever left anything of value in my car because my visiting friend foolishly left his i phone on the passenger seat and I said "hey do you want this?" He said "no just stash it". Put it in the center console. Came back my window was broken and so was the park manager's on his truck. My duffel was picked through and behind the community center. Talked to park manager and he said the theft around the Oakland park/works facility there is insane and the city won't get cameras. They've had trucks stolen and those trucks used to go down to the driving range hook up chains to an ATM and tow it off. There is broken glass at every parking area around JMP. No safe harbor. I have my spots and frankly I don't think it's wise to post them up because I don't think the folks that prey on MTB and hiking areas are as low-tech as may assume them to be. I may be paranoid but my own break in experience seem to be one that was cased. My general suggestion is always park in the most conspicuous place possible. In general, those areas would be ones where there are witnesses in earshot. Neighborhoods, parked in front of homes usually best. If you must park somewhere that isn't conspicuous then I would have an empty car . Any type of bag even if just clothes in it is going to be worth breaking a window to these folks. If you have to leave some clothes leave them laid out clearly to see. In certain situations I've even left my windows down. A little psych warfare just for S's&G's

jrm
    mtbr member
    I didnt know this until i got curious one day, but AC transit has a route that services the JMP area. Route 339 runs between Fruitvale BART and Chabot Space center seven days a week. Good alternative for riding Joaquin Miller, Dimond Canyon or a jumping off point for other rides as well.

mtbr member
    I've seen glass on occasion at the ranger station, but it's so heavily trafficked I guess I never gave it a second thought. I've been doing weekday and weekend rides there for about 10 years now without issue. I guess I should take more care to hide things.

mtbr member
    Rode JMP this morning. The trees were condensing the fog out of the air and it was dripping to the ground. In some places the trails were actually a bit on the damp side of hero.

But, the thing I came here to post about, that totally blew my mind, was overhearing someone in another group mentioning to his crew that the Sinawik trail is so named because it is Kiwanis backwards. They apparently had a cabin in that area once.

I also found the second old, abandoned car off trail, which I'd never seen before.

JMP's secrets are slowly being revealed...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    >> Sinawik trail is so named because it is Kiwanis backwards. They apparently had a cabin in that area once.

The cabin burned down and was removed a few years ago. It hadn't been used for decades.

mtbr member
    Huh. I'd heard that cabin called the boy scout cabin. But a quick Google says it was indeed built by the Kiwanis and used by the girl scouts.

I remember that fire. We're lucky it didn't burn the whole park down.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Stranger yet is that in another park there's a Kiwanis Cemetery hidden away....And the remnants of two Nike Missile sites....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Stranger yet is that in another park there's a Kiwanis Cemetery hidden away....And the remnants of two Nike Missile sites....
    The Nike sites were in Lake Chabot and Wildcat Canyon Parks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
    Rode JMP this morning. The trees were condensing the fog out of the air and it was dripping to the ground. In some places the trails were actually a bit on the damp side of hero.

But, the thing I came here to post about, that totally blew my mind, was overhearing someone in another group mentioning to his crew that the Sinawik trail is so named because it is Kiwanis backwards. They apparently had a cabin in that area once.

I also found the second old, abandoned car off trail, which I'd never seen before.

JMP's secrets are slowly being revealed...
    What trail is said abandoned car off of ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Joaquin Miller-admin_area.jpg
    Wildcat Nike Base back in the day.

I always thought the missile silos were north at the existing concrete pads, but those were apparently the radar installations for guidance.
    http://www.elcerritohistoricalsociet...ge2006Fall.pdf

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Admin_Area.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	1196540
    Wildcat Nike Base back in the day.

I always thought the missile silos were north at the existing concrete pads, but those were apparently the radar installations for guidance.
    Cool shot, thanks. The whole thing about Nike was it's distributed nature. The control station, tracking station, and missiles were all separate from each other. That way if one of them got taken out, the other stations could likely survive.

The Wildcat missiles were located here: https://goo.gl/maps/gXk9VhwmHXD2

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSocko View Post
    What trail is said abandoned car off of ?
    Yeah, I can't think of a single car in JMP, let alone two. Though there are parts of that place I just don't ever see.

mtbr member
    As you climb up Sinawik from the creek towards lookout point, when you get to the top of the steep section, above the roots, look for a faint trail off the right side. It is just where the trail makes a left away from the creek. The faint trail is from people checking out the car. Keep going up Sinawik to where Sinawik Loop trail turns left off it. Climb the first steep bit. The loop trail splits briefly where there was a tree blocking it. Right after the the two splits merge back together, look downslope to the left for the other car. I rode past both of them countless times without noticing because I was digging hardon the climbs and looking straight ahead. They both are 1970 +/- a few years vintage, and have been heavily salvaged.

jrm
    mtbr member
    the pads and silos are out of the picture to the left.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    JMP is also home to 2 albino Redwood trees!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thebasil View Post
    JMP is also home to 2 albino Redwood trees!
    what???

or should I say: where???

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    The what:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albino_redwood

The where:
    1 is in the creek between the two sinwalk trails. 2 is between the stone bridge and the meadow (look uphill).

Hella Olde
    Albinos are exceedingly rare ó there are only 406 in existence, by Moore's latest count. And redwoods as a species are notoriously complex. The trees' genomes have 32 billion base pairs to humans' 3.2 billion, and they carry six copies of each chromosome instead of two. No one has successfully sequenced the redwood genome, making it impossible to pinpoint the mutation that causes their albinism.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Imagine that. Here's a shot of it I found on oaklandtrails.org

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Albinos are exceedingly rare ó there are only 406 in existence, by Moore's latest count. And redwoods as a species are notoriously complex. The trees' genomes have 32 billion base pairs to humans' 3.2 billion, and they carry six copies of each chromosome instead of two. No one has successfully sequenced the redwood genome, making it impossible to pinpoint the mutation that causes their albinism.
    And yet humans chop them down with reckless abandon.

mtbr member
    Awesome inside info on JMP! It'll give me something to scavenger hunt for next time I'm there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The what:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albino_redwood

The where:
    1 is in the creek between the two sinwalk trails. 2 is between the stone bridge and the meadow (look uphill).
    That whole wiki is bananas. Redwoods share sap by grafting their roots together? The albinos uptake more metals than non-albinos?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...round-network/

Trees help their family members and friends. They link directly by the root or use the mycorrhiza fungal network.

mtbr member
    Lab Girl is a good book that came out a couple of years ago. Full of stuff like this about plants.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I usually park at home and ride the 12 miles to JMP. If I have to drive there, I prefer the ranger station (or the Skyline gate lot of Redwood, which provides a nice warmup on fire road).