JMP Car Break In- Mtbr.com
    Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009

JMP Car Break In

My car was broken into today when it was parked on Joaquin Miller Rd. near the intersection of Sanborn which goes toward the ranger station. A few things were taken, and my window is shattered. Break ins are nothing new to this area but I wanted to remind everyone that the risk is there. Don't leave anything valuable even hidden in the car. Pretty basic common sense but something I made the mistake of doing. Police report is filed. Just a heads up.

Caca pasa
    Major suckage.

Thanks for the heads-up.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Uncle

A regular stop

Sorry to hear this. It's a regular stop for probably a pretty small group of hoods. While attending a wedding just down the hill from there (at the round fountain), three of the guests' /attendees' cars were smash & grabbed. Within 20 minutes, purchases had been made at the Home Depot off of 880. They hit this spot in broad daylight, which means it "should" be easy to witness.

Hey, maybe we can get someone to wait in the bushes with, oh I don't know -- an ice pick or a hacksaw, and make citizen's arrests. There was this one guy...

Casey

JMP Car Break in

Wow, that is a major street with lots of traffic. I would have thought that would be safe during the day. Maybe it's better to park in the park near the visitors center ??

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by casey2020
    Wow, that is a major street with lots of traffic. I would have thought that would be safe during the day. Maybe it's better to park in the park near the visitors center ??
    Dude, it's Oakland. Oakland sucks balls. End of story.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    Dude, it's Oakland. Oakland sucks balls. End of story.
    Truth!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I always park here when I go to JMP. It's a small but very busy parking lot with lots of dog walkers and hikers coming in and out. No break ins in four years!

Fireball in the Night
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

Oakland this / Oakland that. This happens everywhere. There are some great parts of Oakland that maybe we all need to visit more to gain a greater appreciation.

I rarely park at trailheads, or other obvious hiking/biking departure spots. It's far too easy for somebody to watch you park your car & leave. Same thing for parking at the theatres.
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My window was broken there too last year. Strangely enough nothing was stolen.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ht=JMP+warning
    Also known as Menso's dad.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by casey2020
    Yeah, parking near the Ranger Station/Visitor's Center is much safer. The large parking lot behind the building is good. I was aware of the danger of parking where I did, I just had one of those "It won't happen to me" moments. The shattered auto-window glass that was already on the street should of been a fair warning.

That being said, I had parked there many times in the past with no problems but won't take a chance of leaving my car there again. Hopefully this thread will reduce the number of future potential break ins.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Skidmore
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

Oakland this / Oakland that. This happens everywhere. There are some great parts of Oakland that maybe we all need to visit more to gain a greater appreciation.

I rarely park at trailheads, or other obvious hiking/biking departure spots. It's far too easy for somebody to watch you park your car & leave. Same thing for parking at the theatres.
    Yeah, until you look at crime stats, and you realize that Oakland is the most dangerous city in California!

Uncle

Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Yeah, until you look at crime stats, and you realize that Oakland is the most dangerous city in California!
    You should post this in the very active "Oakland Sucks" forum.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    They have a forum for that? I thought that's what F67 was for???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JMP Car Break In-new-picture-8-.jpg  

JMP Car Break In-new-picture-6-.jpg  

JMP Car Break In-new-picture-7-.jpg  

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

jrm
    mtbr member

The murder rate has declined in the last 3 yrs

according to that. Yahhh Oakland. Buy the fridge..

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    according to that. Yahhh Oakland. Buy the fridge..
    yup. just bought the fridge.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    its also a HUGE city with a few hundred thousand people in it. it goes from full on ghetto to pretty high end.

on another note.. whats going on at JMP? its MUDDY! random patches of very muddy trail. downed trees, debris. looks like there was a hurricane in the park!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    its also a HUGE city with a few hundred thousand people in it. it goes from full on ghetto to pretty high end.

on another note.. whats going on at JMP? its MUDDY! random patches of very muddy trail. downed trees, debris. looks like there was a hurricane in the park!
    It's really not a "huge" city by any standard. It's almost 1/2 the size of SF, about 1/3 the size of San Jose, much smaller than LA.

Oakland has more violent crime per capita than any other city in California. Compared to the other large cities in CA, oakland has more than double, even quadruple the violent crime.

Check the stats. city-data.com

Oakland really is all it's cracked up to be.

What's also funny (as in, it's a damn shame and just one more reason Oakland sucks ass) is Oakland's mean income is 20% lower than state average, while housing costs are 20% higher.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

ballbuster

Nah, that's a bad spot too.

Quote Originally Posted by older and slower
    I always park here when I go to JMP. It's a small but very busy parking lot with lots of dog walkers and hikers coming in and out. No break ins in four years!
    I parked there a few times, and saw a couple other folks were hit. The scumbags know where to go.

Best bet is not to leave anything in your car... even hidden in the trunk.

horn doggie
    Anytime you park along Skyline, Redwood, or Joaquin Miller you chance a break in. I had my brief case stolen from my vehicle a few years back while parked at the lot below the observatory when on an after work ride.

By the time I got to my car and started making calls, all my CC but one had been used in 3 or 4 places in east Oakland and as far away as SF. Chevron was the only company that allowed their card to be used once, only. They noticed right away that the purchase far exceeded my normal amounts, and froze the card after the first transaction, yet several others were attempted.

With as many fill ups as there were, and cash extracted from gas stations using my cards, there must be a ring of low lifes stealing and others working at stations allowing them to get cash back. I suspect they call all their bros down to fill up their SUVs to keep the 'hoods fueled up.

I haven't parked there since. I now ONLY park at the ranger station on Sanborn.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

Hi.

News flash, Oakland DOES suck.

Thanks to iheartbicycles for giving the statistics that prove the above point.

ballbuster

Doesn't prove anything

Thanks to iheartbicycles for giving the statistics that prove the above point.
    Its the 'Bill Gates walks into a bar thing'

Haven't you read? Statistics are 95% BS anyway.

Uncle
    Not news, jt. This headline of yours has graced mtbr every other week for at least the last 7 years, and probably more -- thus the "Oakland sucks forum" comment. If it makes you feel better by saying Oakland sucks, then by all means, say it from the mountain top.

By the way, what tires work best for you in Nor Cal?

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    according to that. Yahhh Oakland...
    B/C they all moved to Richmond.

[/Fixed. ]

Ride More - Suffer Less
    this should do the trick...

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar
    this should do the trick...

LOL. The EMP, let alone the voltage that thing would create when grounding out would just fry your car's computer and/or sensors.

You'd find a passed out thug and wouldn't be able to drive off and hide/bury the body b/c it wouldn't start.

We need an Urban Versioned Trunk Monkey, maybe call it a Crunk Monkey?

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Can we clone this guy?

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    ROFL..so many funny scenes in Hangover.

Hi.

By the way, what tires work best for you in Nor Cal?

Just moved to the area, and selection of tires depends on where I'm riding. One bike has Crossmark front, Larsen TT rear. One has Nobby Nics. One has Rocket Rons. and the last has a Nevegal front and Crossmark rear. Most of the riding I've done thus far has been dry hardpack, so I usually take my Litespeed hardtail with the Rocket Rons and it seems to work well.

Master of '80s BMX tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by older and slower
    MzRutzie's car was broken into (pre-dusk) in that parking lot back in '08. everywhere along JM road and Skyline seem to be easy targets.
    Oakland just sucks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    What's also funny (as in, it's a damn shame and just one more reason Oakland sucks ass) is Oakland's mean income is 20% lower than state average, while housing costs are 20% higher.
    JMP is in the Canyon District in Oakland
    From www.neighborhoodscout.com

MEDIAN HOUSE VALUE: $855,862

AGE & LIFESTYLE: Mostly Mixed ages, some Families with children (family households with school-aged children), some Seniors (people 65 and over), some Young singles-upwardly mobile (young, educated, professionally employed, and single), some College students (people currently attending college).

EDUCATION LEVEL rating: 10 (5 is average for the U.S., 10 is most educated)

INCOME Wealthy (among the 15% most wealthy communities in America)

OCCUPATIONS Mostly Executive, managerial & professional, some Sales & Service workers, some Clerical, assistants & technical support

ETHNICITY/ANCESTRY Mostly White (non-Hispanic), some Irish ancestry, some East Asian, some Italian ancestry, some Black, some Hispanic, some Mexican

LANGUAGES Mostly English speaking, some Spanish speaking, some French speaking, some Russian speaking

Oooooooh...I'm so scared.

ballbuster

There's a sweet....

Quote Originally Posted by oparks
    JMP is in the Canyon District in Oakland
    From www.neighborhoodscout.com

MEDIAN HOUSE VALUE: $855,862

AGE & LIFESTYLE: Mostly Mixed ages, some Families with children (family households with school-aged children), some Seniors (people 65 and over), some Young singles-upwardly mobile (young, educated, professionally employed, and single), some College students (people currently attending college).

EDUCATION LEVEL rating: 10 (5 is average for the U.S., 10 is most educated)

INCOME Wealthy (among the 15% most wealthy communities in America)

OCCUPATIONS Mostly Executive, managerial & professional, some Sales & Service workers, some Clerical, assistants & technical support

ETHNICITY/ANCESTRY Mostly White (non-Hispanic), some Irish ancestry, some East Asian, some Italian ancestry, some Black, some Hispanic, some Mexican

LANGUAGES Mostly English speaking, some Spanish speaking, some French speaking, some Russian speaking

Oooooooh...I'm so scared.
    ... development of Eichlers up there too. I've been dreaming of buying an Eichler for a while now. They go for over a $Mil now, tho... I'm sure. I would have to win the lottery... twice.

That would be nice to be within easy riding distance to the Redwood loop. ... and to have this much natural light in the house:

OParks... That's exactly the point I was trying to make. There are areas in Oakland where gunfire breaks out just about every night. Most hoods are quiet. Up the hill near JMP is one of the nicest areas of Oakland (heck, in the Bay Area for that matter with the zillion dollar views), but that is where the thieves, scumbags, and crackheads know they can take a quick buck from somebody's car from those parking lots. Mr. D over there lived in Lakeshore, so no wonder he has the idea that there is crazy crime all the time. Lakeshore is one of those odd areas where it is beautiful and expensive, killer views of the Lake, nice condos and such, but there is also tons of crime by the lake, and being 3 blocks away form gang banga central.

I'm more in between, in the Glennview district. We get some car break-ins, and once every three years or so, somebody gets held up (we all hear about it when it happens... we're a pretty neighborly bunch) but that's about it.

I think a better plan in the future might be to park in the residential streets across from the training center. Be less of a target there.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 08-24-2010 at 02:03 PM.

horn doggie
    Ummmm.... Not sure what that was supposed to represent, but it ain't the demographic of the criminals smashing/grabbing from cars parked in the area. Somehow I don't actually believe that someone in the top 15% of earners really needs to steel a purse or CDs or cameras, etc., to make ends meet.

You need to look in the flatlands for that particular demographic. I can say that with confidence, as all of my CC were used in a select few east Oakland gas stations in the same 'hood, as well as in an area near Candlestick in SF. You can form your own impression from those facts. I have.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Why is it shocking that in a overall crappy town(Oakland), that even in it's nicer areas, these things happen? Oakland is a small town, it's not that difficult to go from a bad area to a nice area, it's not like the people that break into cars are nice folk. If I were to just take a guess, it probably makes more sense to go to the nicer areas to break into cars, as they may end up with a higher chance of stealing things higher in value. The same thing applies to the home invasion robbery scenario, it happens in the nicer areas because that's where the nice things are to steal.

What you want is distance from the... bad parts of town, and you aren't gonna get that in oakland.

Safety Consultant
    Did you know Alameda wasn't always an island? They may have dug the channel that separated it from Oakland for ship traffic, but it also works somewhat as a "crime moat". Raise the drawbridges!

Fireball in the Night
    Those statistics prove one thing only: that the chart available online shows that Oakland reports more crimes than the other cities on that chart. Nothing more.
    everyone drives a Used Car

ballbuster

heh.... averaged within its borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Skidmore
    Those statistics prove one thing only: that the chart available online shows that Oakland reports more crimes than the other cities on that chart. Nothing more.
    Like I said before, 95% of all statistics are Bullshiz

And for the record, Oakland is not a small town.

Oakland is 56 square miles. For comparison, San Francisco is 47 square miles. Long Beach is 66 square miles.

Source: Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland,_ca
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco

Gotta say, tho. Things were better when Jerry Brown was mayor. Ron Dellums is a deutchbhag.

That said, I'll admit we are trying to move to Walnut Creek for the better schools for the kids. Oakland schools are kinda hit and miss.... mostly miss. We are actually in a decent school district right now, but we wanna do better.

I'm not really looking forward to moving to the whitebread boring ass strip mall starbucks infested burbs where its constantly 10-20 degrees hotter in summer, tho....
    Last edited by pimpbot; 08-24-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I'm not really looking forward to moving to the whitebread boring ass strip mall starbucks infested burbs where its constantly 10-20 degrees hotter in summer, tho....
    That might be off on the distant horizon for us too. Oh well. Get used to driving everywhere again, right?

Wish it were cheaper in my hood so you could move over here. We've got OUSD's Anthony Chabot Elementary just up the hill from here. Probably one of the best elementary schools in the bay area -- public and diverse too. And it's on the cool side of the hill

Oh, and then I could just walk your recip saw to you.

ballbuster

Oh yeah....

That might be off on the distant horizon for us too. Oh well. Get used to driving everywhere again, right?

Wish it were cheaper in my hood so you could move over here. We've got OUSD's Anthony Chabot Elementary just up the hill from here. Probably one of the best elementary schools in the bay area -- public and diverse too. And it's on the cool side of the hill

Oh, and then I could just walk your recip saw to you.
    hey, you got my 29er singlespeed rear wheel too? I still can't find that thing. I'm starting to think somebody sneaked in my garage when I wasn't looking and took it.

Uncle

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    .... I'm starting to think somebody sneaked in my garage when I wasn't looking and took it.
    Man, still missing? That's just weird. Hope you're wrong. Which wheel was it -- hub, rim, etc?

ballbuster
    Man, still missing? That's just weird. Hope you're wrong. Which wheel was it -- hub, rim, etc?
    it's the stock rear wheel to my MC29er. Redline SS disc hub with nutted axle laced to Alexrims DM19s with straight gauge spokes, 20t Rennin cog.

I'm stumped. I'll check at work again, but I'm not optimistic.

I need to build the MC29er back up to sell it.

Members who have read this thread: 0