Moderator Moderator

Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report

Looks like we are going to get a reprieve from the rain for a few days. Some more coming on Sunday, but then a week of clear weather.

Should be some amazing conditions around much of NorCal after things dry a bit. Photos and reports are appreciated.

Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report-screen-shot-2019-01-18-8.33.19-am.jpg

Will get a piece of this storm on Sunday.
    Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report-screen-shot-2019-01-18-8.33.59-am.jpg

mtbr member
    If my boss would frickin give me a thumbs up to finalize my report, I'm going to ride today!
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickin’ sweet!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    If my boss would frickin give me a thumbs up to finalize my report, I'm going to ride today!
    TPS report?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    TPS report?
    Haha feels like it as I did work on it all last weekend.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Demo Forest and Santa Cruz mountains 7-day report. This was a lot of rain.

https://soquel.westernweathergroup.com/Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report-screen-shot-2019-01-18-9.35.56-am.jpg

Use good judgement and allow the forest to HEAL. Hiking with gloves, a small shovel and saw is best. Move all blocking debris and allow the water to flow out of the trail.

Do it safely. Report back.

We will have a long stretch of good weather so this is gonna pay dividends to all trail users after you.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I should be clear, I have nice gravel / bike path loop, so I won't be busting up any trails, I promise!

fc
    TRAIL CLOSURE ALERT! Wilder Ranch trails are CLOSED! Due to all the recent rain, State Parks has closed Wilder Ranch today and most likely Saturday. Please respect these trail closures, and help spread the word!

The trails in Santa Cruz are very wet right now, so it's a great time to take a break or ride sandier places like Fort Ord. Don't forget, if you're leaving tire tracks, it's too wet to ride! Click the link below for a refresher on wet weather riding etiquette:

Wet Weather Riding Etiquette – Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Fort Ord will be very good this weekend. Especially the Western trails accessed from 8th and Giggling Rd.

Friendly FYI:

BRING A BELL AND USE IT! Sight-Lines are not good in numerous places so use caution.
    ALL Trails are multi-directional but Locals use #82 (Merrill), Long #50 (parallel to Barloy Canyon Rd) and #41 (Goat Trail) predominantly as Downhills. Climbing them is NOT recommended in the name of both safety & fun!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    If you ride, please take a few minutes to clear windfall. Bonus points if you carry a saw. I spent a lot of time clearing trails this week. Not cool to see people just ride by without even offering to help.

Also, let Emma rest. U-Conn isn't bad.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    Fort Ord will be very good this weekend. Especially the Western trails accessed from 8th and Giggling Rd.

Friendly FYI:

BRING A BELL AND USE IT! Sight-Lines are not good in numerous places so use caution.
    ALL Trails are multi-directional but Locals use #82 (Merrill), Long #50 (parallel to Barloy Canyon Rd) and #41 (Goat Trail) predominantly as Downhills. Climbing them is NOT recommended in the name of both safety & fun!!
    good reminder. i've had a head on collision on chain gang. both of us were OK. he was wearing headphones. we both got tossed from our rigs.
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    If you ride, please take a few minutes to clear windfall. Bonus points if you carry a saw. I spent a lot of time clearing trails this week. Not cool to see people just ride by without even offering to help.

Also, let Emma rest. U-Conn isn't bad.
    So much thumbs up!!!

Moving big branch out of the trail can benefit hundreds, or more behind you. Take a moment.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Friendly FYI:

I would add #42 to that list. That place would be so much more fun and safe with some directional trails.

mtbr member
    Another gorgeous day!
    Morning ride before work:

Moderator Moderator
    Did a road ride, on my MTB, up Page Mill today. Serious case of numb nutz on the climb, I need a new saddle.

I had forgotten how much easier it is to climb a paved road vs even a fire road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Did a road ride, on my MTB, up Page Mill today. Serious case of numb nutz on the climb, I need a new saddle.

I had forgotten how much easier it is to climb a paved road vs even a fire road.
    Try adjusting your saddle nose down a few degrees. If that still doesn't help. Fabric Scoop Radius is good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Trying new saddles is the worst. So expensive so much pain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    I would add #42 to that list. That place would be so much more fun and safe with some directional trails.

-Sadly, I no longer consider that trail a Downhill, fun trail.
    #42 is "The Trail formerly known as Red Rock".
    Like Prince the Singer/Songwriter, just a symbol/number.

The re-route is L A M E !

Please DON'T get me started, I could go on for days......
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Try adjusting your saddle nose down a few degrees. If that still doesn't help. Fabric Scoop Radius is good.
    Yep, I will be tinkering with it.
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Out at Bootleg today. Racing an xc-duro tomorrow. Easily the worst course I have ever ridden. It’s either flat or uphill. Less than 60 seconds of DH. Dropper post up for 90% of the day.

Up In Smoke
    Sick!

Formerly dvo
    Fremont Older is a bit muddy but the horses are out so why not me? Suck it Mother Earth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm the problem....

Hella Olde
    Fort Bored on Saturday and Pacifica on the new DH bike in the rain on Sunday!

Trail Gnome
    2.5 hrs of trail maintenance today; I put the Silky Saw to good use...so many trees came down in that last storm. Ride tomorrow

bad reputation
    Managed to get in 13 miles with 2100’ in some well-draining sandy stuff this afternoon. Came home with significantly less mud on me & the bike compared to last weekend.

singletrack bound
    -Sadly, I no longer consider that trail a Downhill, fun trail.
    #42 is "The Trail formerly known as Red Rock"
    I remember the old "Red Rock" before they re-routed it.

It was one of those 80 / 20 rules back then.......

make it twice, crash and burn 8 times!! lol.

Just like at the top of trail 61 where the bench sits right above Barloy Cny. Rd. looking over the 49 trail descent.

Right at the bench there was a rocky wash that twisted down to Barloy. That one the odds were much higher!!

mtbr member
    Built probably 50 yards, walked 4 miles more cleaning litter. The ground is like butter, but there are some sections that were looking hella sexy!

Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report-4a13accc-1694-4f33-be9c-4ecd49d914fa.jpg

Got the kids out for the loop walk. They seemed to have a good time:

Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report-80045aad-7deb-4dc5-af68-d5f2657461fb.jpg

Tomorrow, I ride!

fc
    The Figure 8 loop through St. Joes - 3600 feet.

St. Joes and Kennedy network will be in stellar shape today.Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report-screen-shot-2019-01-19-7.42.24-am.jpg

Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report-img_1944.jpg
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Another road ride for me.

Don't stand under this tree in a high wind!

Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report-img_1010.jpg

Hella Olde
    Well I got 12 miles in over on the northwest side of Fort Ord (first time over there) and couldn’t find any trails that required the use of a mountain bike. With a couple exceptions I guess you could say that about the whole area. I couldn’t find the dirt jumps a guy told me about last weekend near a lookout tower I couldn’t find once I got to that area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Did the Flat Frog - Middle Ridge - Poverty Flat loop in Coe today. The singletrack is in good condition, and fun! The fireroads are steep and soggy. Funny how the roads don't drain as well as the trails there. Lots of HAB.

Also, there are 3 creek crossings, and the water is flowing strong. The first crossing (right at the end of Flat Frog) is ankle deep and short, and we biked over it. The 2nd and 3rd (at the end of Middle Ridge) are shin deep, longer, and not rideable, so we rode out with wet shoes...

Still worth it, but probably better to wait for less wet conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Coe--that middle ridge loop is more fun if you hike a bike thru to china hole crossing the creek after poverty flat road and then ride the single track back up-----makes it more of an adventure---you can also stay on the road and not go p poverty flat and ride the single track down to china hole but that climb is work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Got in 4+ hours around Saratoga Gap and Skyline. Lots of small branches on the trails, a few trees down, but the dirt was great. No need to ride tedious fireroads when there's fun singletrack to be had!
    Last edited by Callender; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:29 AM.

Trail Gnome
    Another road ride for me.

Don't stand under this tree in a high wind!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	532.9 KB 
ID:	1234226
    Really, a road ride??? I think you might be on the wrong forum...this one is for people who ride mountain bikes, on the dirt

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    JNT was busy this morning, slightly more than usual. Conditions were great, tacky. Some small branches and leaf litter, no big deal.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Really, a road ride??? I think you might be on the wrong forum...this one is for people who ride mountain bikes, on the dirt
    I’m getting in touch with my feminine side.
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:53 PM.

singletrack bound
    inauguration ride is happening. Can't miss taking my wacks!!!!!

mtbr member
    Riding out here makes me realize how lucky we are to have trees and such good dirt. (And good weather).

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Riding out here makes me realize how lucky we are to have trees and such good dirt. (And good weather).
    Yep. I find myself riding other places, and referring to their trails as "mountain biking for people who don't know any better."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    The Figure 8 loop through St. Joes - 3600 feet.

St. Joes and Kennedy network will be in stellar shape today.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 7.42.24 AM.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	1234191

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	252.4 KB 
ID:	1234192
    This morning under light rain, st joes had multiple sheet flow near the top. Bottom portion was kind of dry.

fc
    Met a couple dudes who said they bike and rc crawl. They said they knew Rockville so they showed me around. Clearing a rock garden is not so hard but doing it one handed with a controller on the other hand is legit. Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report-img_1987-1-.jpg

Canadianjerky from the norcal forum is part of my gang here.
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    That's a pretty dam cool shot, but were your saying the Enduro lacks vert? I was thinking of checking out Mobbin Mojave or Reaper Madness this year. What's it like out there? Are you at the NV State DH champs?

bad reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    inauguration ride is happening. Can't miss taking my wacks!!!!!
    WTH is the inauguration ride? Based on your pic the other day it looks like the impeachment ride! (Did I just crack open a nest?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Met a couple dudes who said they bike and rc crawl. They said they knew Rockville so they showed me around. Clearing a rock garden is not so hard but doing it one handed with a controller on the other hand is legit. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1987 (1).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	1234325

Canadianjerky from the norcal forum is part of my gang here.
    What is the trail etiquette for rc crawlers? Is it cool to bunnyhop them?

mtbr member

Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report

Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    That's a pretty dam cool shot, but were your saying the Enduro lacks vert? I was thinking of checking out Mobbin Mojave or Reaper Madness this year. What's it like out there? Are you at the NV State DH champs?
    Yes, we were at the NV state championships. For the Enduro here are some stats that should be self explanatory. We did 1500’ of vert for the whole day, there was 3 stages and I had over 28 minutes of race time. Those numbers should not add up. Stage 2 was 3.25 miles long and the bottom of the stage was only 400’ below the top of the stage. The venue is cool, and the dh course was fun to ride. They had 4 double black trails, and a few black trails, yet we were racing an “enduro” on blue xc trails.

And in addition to that both my friends were signed up to race the dual slalom Saturday afternoon. But they wouldn’t start the dual slalom until they did awards for Enduro, and that was super delayed, so there wasn’t even enough time to do anything other than the qualifying runs on Saturday. (And my friend James Eves qualified 1st in Pro).

Lame course and extremely poorly run to top it off. Still had fun, but if I’m paying $100 for an entry + $85 for a USAC license I expect to be at an event that is organized and professionally run. Needless to say I’ll never be back.

Oh, and that reminds me... on stage 3 they let a pro rider start the stage with his trail dog. Of course the dog did not stay with his owner, and got in everyone’s way just walking down the middle of the trail while we were trying to race.

But I still ended up getting 2nd behind my buddy from SLO and my fitness felt way better than at Sea Otter last year.

Edit: But at least there was 3 pretty challenging techy sections, one of which I had to walk. Well... they would have been cool if we weren’t racing up them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That sucks. The double and black trails at Bootleg are awesome. They are fun techy / chunk.

I broke both wrists and three fingers there.

If you have enough time to ride the black / double black trails you really should.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    That sucks. The double and black trails at Bootleg are awesome. They are fun techy / chunk.

I broke both wrists and three fingers there.

If you have enough time to ride the black / double black trails you really should.
    We rode some on Friday for fun because we didn’t really want to practice the Enduro course again. Heading home today.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report-come-me-crow-night-king-t-shirt.jpg

Caw, cawww!!!

singletrack bound

Meanwhile......

Meanwhile.....

Out in Aptos......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report-8bef3811-da6a-41e8-9b53-84c4366e9a75.jpg  

Jan 18-20, 2019 Weekend Trail and Ride Report-9d12ff49-346f-4a8b-b866-5f067b20f388.jpg  

mtbr member
    Rode some sandy trails in SC that we’re in great shape this AM. Can’t wait for campus to dry out this week. I saw some very muddy looking people who seemed to have ridden up there.