Introduce me to Henry Coe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Introduce me to Henry Coe

Hey all.

I work within spitting distance of Coe; its just too easy to head out there after work (Morgan Hill entrance).

But damn after reading up on it here, you guys have me ascared! I'm not the strongest rider, although to give you a gauge the climb to the top of QS from Almaden is now doable with one or two quick breaks. Even so, I'd still consider myself a "beginner".

I've been eyeballing this route: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=450248. Anyone know what's up with the 2k climb within the first 1/2 mile? Is that accurate?

Is there a specific loop you might suggest for a Coe-noobie? Or should I stay away and get better for a while yet still?

Thanks guys.

Caca pasa

tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Yup. That just about sums it up.

TANSTAAFL
    hey, I am a local Morgan Hill rider, maybe we can hook up and ride some.

right now I am riding here more than Coe

http://openspaceauthority.org/trails/rancho.html

its a nice quick evening ride, and there are regular night rides there.

I have ridden much of Coe, so can help you out there as well

PM'd you as well so we can figure out where we are relative to each other

Jim
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

mtbr member
    Looks rideable...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonWilliam
    I've been eyeballing this route: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=450248. Anyone know what's up with the 2k climb within the first 1/2 mile? Is that accurate?
    Middle ridge to china hole is a great route on well-used trails, although it would be pretty epic for a beginner rider. You can shorten the ride significantly by bailing at the bottom of Middle Ridge - you would make a right turn on a fire road that will take you all the way back to park HQ (the starting point). (I think it's Poverty Flat Rd... you can see how it cuts out a lot of it on your link...). That being said, this isn't something you should attempt after work!!!!

There probably is also a loop you could do from the Hunting Hollow entrance. Things are a little easier starting there than starting at HQ because you always end on a downhill. It's usually a big climb back up to HQ, which really sucks at the end of the ride when you are beat.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic
    You can shorten the ride significantly by bailing at the bottom of Middle Ridge - you would make a right turn on a fire road that will take you all the way back to park HQ (the starting point). (I think it's Poverty Flat Rd... you can see how it cuts out a lot of it on your link...).
    LOL, do not do this! Unless you want to push your bike up the entire fireroad. Poverty Flat is anything but Flat. The Middle Ridge ride is awesome all the way to the bottom of Middle Ridge. At which point you realize there is a long climb ahead of you.

Go there with someone who knows the park. If things get bad for you they will know the easiest way to bail on the ride.

The best beginner route and best bang for the buck is:
    Hunting Hollow start
    Go up Coit Rd.
    Right on Wasno Rd
    Right on Domino Pond tr
    Left on Cattle Duster
    Down Grapevine
    Left on Coit Rd
    If you want some more, do not take Grapevine all the way to Coit. Instead make a left onto Anza about 1/4 mile from where Grapevine meets Coit.
    Take Anza all the way to Coit
    Left on Coit and head back to the car.

I'm a "she".
    Pffft, the Trip Stats also shows a 385.2mph speed within the same first 1/2 mile and then 110.6 mph later on. No, it's not accurate.

Considering that you are "within spitting distance" of Coe HQ, I would assume following two rides might be pretty nice options for an after-work spin:
    1) out and back on China Hole Trail
    2) out and back on Flat Frog Trail

Or should I stay away and get better for a while yet still?
    Definitely not, esp. when you have it as your backyard. Coe is really not as mean as you were led to think. A good resource to check out is mtbguru.com and type "Coe" in the search box. There are many tracks there. Skyline35's reports usually include a cue sheet and photos . For now, you might want to skip plymmer's rides.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

Medium?
    Ride up there on the road to get an idea of what you're up against. If you can't make it, it's easy to get back. If you make it, post back up for another recommendation.

Don't miss Thomas Grade on the way up.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    LOL, do not do this! Unless you want to push your bike up the entire fireroad. Poverty Flat is anything but Flat. The Middle Ridge ride is awesome all the way to the bottom of Middle Ridge. At which point you realize there is a long climb ahead of you.

Go there with someone who knows the park. If things get bad for you they will know the easiest way to bail on the ride.

The best beginner route and best bang for the buck is:
    Hunting Hollow start
    Go up Coit Rd.
    Right on Wasno Rd
    Right on Domino Pond tr
    Left on Cattle Duster
    Down Grapevine
    Left on Coit Rd
    If you want some more, do not take Grapevine all the way to Coit. Instead make a left onto Anza about 1/4 mile from where Grapevine meets Coit.
    Take Anza all the way to Coit
    Left on Coit and head back to the car.
    This is good advice from a former Coe hater.

Don't start off of East Dunne if you are a beginner. The drive to Hunting Hollow is nearly the same from Morgan Hill, time wise.

As Eddie mentioned, a good test would be to ride from the bottom of E. Dunne to HQ, buy yourself one of the nice waterproof maps, and head to Hunting Hollow for your next excursion.

Also, don't forget to check out Harvey Bear if you've not already done so.

-D

middle ring single track

Don't give up...

But damn after reading up on it here, you guys have me ascared! I'm not the strongest rider, although to give you a gauge the climb to the top of QS from Almaden is now doable with one or two quick breaks. Even so, I'd still consider myself a "beginner".
    Lots of good advice from others here; Mudworm, Fast Eddy, addictionms, Diesel and d-bug all have good suggestions. I'll second the recommendation that you try Hunting Hollow first though.

Your "eyeballed" route is a great sampler of Coe but could be the longest 12 miles you've ever ridden! You'll be carrying your bike in some sections of the Creekside Trail, also Middle Ridge has some steep/rough sections (usually ridden downhill). See this post for BigLarry's ordeal on the same loop: (and he's a "regular"!)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=650417

A mechanical/medical issue half way through the ride can be a real SOB!

Also, be sure to get a park map---the ones you can pick up at the entrance kiosks are a bare minimum, the "official" Henry W. Coe State Park Trail and Camping Map can be purchased at the visitor center at the HQ (if it's open) or can be ordered by mail:

http://www.coepark.org/map-intro.html

Even with these, things can be misleading---some "jeep" trails are now single track, some single tracks are completely overgrown. So your idea of teaming up with somebody with Coe-experience is a good one. If you can wait, the "Henry Coe Fall Circus" ride might be a good intro:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=651437

BTW question; Are you riding to the top of QS from the Hacienda entrance up Mine Hill Rd or from the Mockingbird Hill entrance up Virl O Norton? The steepness of the climb on V O Norton is typical of many climbs in Coe albeit much shorter. I've also seen it posted in these forums that RCDO is a good training ride for Coe, especially if the loop is done CCW.

Always carry lots of water!
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    LOL, do not do this! Unless you want to push your bike up the entire fireroad. Poverty Flat is anything but Flat.
    My apologies (blush) - I wasn't trying to get anyone into trouble - I just have never gone up that fire road myself (in the HQ direction), it just looks easier on the map. I guess that's the thing about Coe...
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    If you live in SJ and work in Morgan Hill you should hit up Santa Teresa (about 1.5 miles off of the 101). The park is small enough to bang out a quick loop in 45min ~1hr.

I work just a few miles away. PM me if you want a tour (don't worry, I'm SLOOOOWWWW)

Travis
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

Members who have read this thread: 0