Intermediate Jumps?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Intermediate Jumps?

There are a few good, small/xc type jumps/drops that I like a lot, such as some sections at Skeggs (e.g. N. Leaf and lower Methuselah). They are ~1-2’. There are some fun high banks too.
    Then you have my ‘aspirational’ spots like, uhh, Oyscout-Bay in Acifica-Pay, where features are +6’, often with a terrifying gap. And, while I love me some big roll-ins, I “struggle” with ones that lead with too gnarly a drop-off.

So where to go for more middle ground, 2-4’ features? Surely there is somewhere in-between Skeggs and the DH park-style area mentioned. I feel ready to progress, but that’s a pretty tough transition...

Am I missing something? The ‘Pro’ line at Skeggs? A ‘blue trail’ at the other? Somewhere else?
    I’ve heard of ‘Castlemont’ near Waterdog... Is that anything like what I’m talking about?And is it an overgrown tick-fest the way WD was last time I was there

Thanks in advance!
    "I may not be fast descending, but I'm pretty slow climbing."

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by CyNil_Rider View Post
    So where to go for more middle ground, 2-4’ features? Surely there is somewhere in-between Skeggs and the DH park-style area mentioned. I feel ready to progress, but that’s a pretty tough transition...

Am I missing something?
    The aforementioned scout trail would be my suggestion. Yes there are gaps, but the upper gap jumps are built in a way that you can jump off the side to flat without taking on the true gap. You can progressively work your way up until you hit the top of the ramp and take on the gap.
    The slope is gentle and it is easy to session the area over and over. Just be respectful of other riders when climbing back up. Call out your location as the first big log drop is a blind drop.

mtbr member
    What about someplace like the Pleasanton bike park?
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    The aforementioned scout trail would be my suggestion. Yes there are gaps, but the upper gap jumps are built in a way that you can jump off the side to flat without taking on the true gap. You can progressively work your way up until you hit the top of the ramp and take on the gap.
    The slope is gentle and it is easy to session the area over and over. Just be respectful of other riders when climbing back up. Call out your location as the first big log drop is a blind drop.
    Seems sensible, thanks Shipwreck!
    Hitting the shoulder of those big jumps and working up seems to be the order of the day!
    I was kind of doing that already, but discounted it as 'improper' for some reason. I am disabused of that silliness now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've seen pictures of a progressive 'Drop Zone' @ Cunnigham bike park, punch that into google images. It's got 3 drops (small , med, large) side by side that you can session.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    What about someplace like the Pleasanton bike park?
    Thanks for the idea Joe, I have never been.
    It looks pretty cool on YT, with a good mix of big-med-small.
    I'm in SSF, but will have to make the trek out there and check it out!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    "Castlemont" is actually a great place for some progression. It takes a little while to learn the lines, but there's quite a bit of intermediate stuff, some scary-looking but not that bad to ride stuff, and some truly puckering stuff. I'm an old fart (48) and an old XC racer scared to jump, and have been able to build up to much of the intermediate stuff (having damn kids who hit bigger jumps than me helps). Worth a look - lots of Youtube videos out there.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    I've seen pictures of a progressive 'Drop Zone' @ Cunnigham bike park, punch that into google images. It's got 3 drops (small , med, large) side by side that you can session.
    Yup, that there looks fun!
    It's hard to get a good perspective on speed and size, but with the progressive set ups, I'm sure there'd be a 'right' size for me. Cuz a lot of them look YUUGE, given it's on video!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tswitz1234 View Post
    "Castlemont" is actually a great place for some progression. It takes a little while to learn the lines, but there's quite a bit of intermediate stuff, some scary-looking but not that bad to ride stuff, and some truly puckering stuff. I'm an old fart (48) and an old XC racer scared to jump, and have been able to build up to much of the intermediate stuff (having damn kids who hit bigger jumps than me helps). Worth a look - lots of Youtube videos out there.
    Thanks for the 411 on Castlemont. I may have to check it out now. I heard it was pretty advanced.

I am learning to look out for alt jump lines to build up confidence. And I'm sure having a kid right in front to follow helps!
    As for YT, it is good and bad. Everything looks super easy, flat and slow in video, so unless you've actually been there and know, it can be hard to judge... So while it can give me an idea of what to expect, it doesn't do much for my confidence when I'm actually staring over the abyss!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    If you're in SSF, McLaren Bike Park is close to you. It's tiny and who knows if it's got jumps right now, but the staff is cool and might have some ideas for you too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Lake Cunningham Bike Park - which should reopen soon if we don't get more rain. There are 4 jump lines, all table tops. That said, they all are dirt jumps, so quiet different from MTB jumps, but they still help building confidence, technique, judging speed, etc.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by tswitz1234 View Post
    Do you mean "Carlmont" jumps? In Belmont?
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    If you're in SSF, McLaren Bike Park is close to you. It's tiny and who knows if it's got jumps right now, but the staff is cool and might have some ideas for you too.
    No jumps at Mclaren - just a teeny-tiny "pump track" that is really only suitable for a BMX bike - I took my HT there and it was pretty piontless - supposedly there are plans to build more stuff around that area

Since you are in SSF, Boyscout in Pacifica is probably your best bet - there are a few smaller jumps and table tops to session - and plenty of spots to build your own smaller features (digging conditions are great right now) - just make sure you don't interfere w/ existing lines

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Do you mean "Carlmont" jumps? In Belmont?
    Opps, yes I do. thx

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    No jumps at Mclaren - just a teeny-tiny "pump track" that is really only suitable for a BMX bike - I took my HT there and it was pretty piontless - supposedly there are plans to build more stuff around that area

Yup, more of a skate park. But since I played soccer next door, I have been meaning to throw my bike in the back and give it a go...

- and plenty of spots to build your own smaller features (digging conditions are great right now) - just make sure you don't interfere w/ existing lines
    That's a bold out-of-the-box idea!
    Last edited by CyNil_Rider; 1 Week Ago at 02:21 PM. Reason: can't double quote

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Carlmont has a ton of small features, that even a complete novice would enjoy. My only caution would be if you plan on pushing yourself where falling is likely, pad up knee and elbow because the ground has quite a bit of gravel.

The most popular trail at pacifica also has quite a bit for aspiring jumpers, I’ve brought brand new riders who are interested in the jumping aspects of mtb and they’ve had a blast out there.

Also on the GoPro effect on these features, I don’t think it’s that much of a difference for jumps, only drops and steeps. Any feature that looks big to me irl looks big and when I’m goofing around on my GoPro too. In fact I’d say my riding looks better on GoPro than irl lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bike Parks such as pleasanton or stafford lake in Novato should be a safe bet to start out at.

Generally well maintained and with progression lines designed to help you build up your skills so some of the larger features at aforementioned spots feel a little more familiar once you've worked up at the parks.

IMO once you get basic skills down and over the initial fear of jumping the difference in gap size starts to feel somewhat trivial. At least in lower increments, i.e. 4 vs 8 ft or something similar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just like there is a bit more in Acifica-Pay or Elmont-Bay than the well publicized trails, there is a bit more to Aclaren-May than just the baby bike park. Which currently has the pump track and bowl, and the bowl has some more interesting jumps than when it first opened. And a semi-skinny. But closes at 5:30 until... dunno when 'Spring' is. Maybe next week when we pass the equinox?

But yes the larger places with progressive lines would be a great choice.