Not helpful.

Interbike cancelled- staff let go!

What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    MTBPodcast talked about Interbike a while back, some good info there https://soundcloud.com/mtbpodcast/mt...ldwide-cyclery. It definitely sucks that their staff was laid off. Ultimately it seems like it wasn't profitable in the old format in Vegas, and they tried a new format in Reno, but it just didn't generate enough interest to keep that part of their business afloat.

mtbr member
    So....did they find that the e-bikes being pushed at interbike weren't all that profitable?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I read between the lines that nearly half of the nations retailers are selling a single brand and that brand is likely the Big Red S. They don't show up to IB and they tell their retailers what they can and cannot sell. Not a good atmosphere for innovation or for smaller brands to try and sell their wares.....

Could be wrong as I don't know the makeup of the nations bike retailers.

Asswipe
    Not good news for the industry, hopefully they restructure and bring it back for 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    I read between the lines that nearly half of the nations retailers are selling a single brand and that brand is likely the Big Red S. They don't show up to IB and they tell their retailers what they can and cannot sell. Not a good atmosphere for innovation or for smaller brands to try and sell their wares.....

They alone don't dominate the market that much, but the Big 3 all offer big incentives for bike shops to stock only their brands (or at least 80-90% of retail space). Apparently that is not helping the industry as a whole. Shocker.

Vote with your wallet, only support brands that don't suck.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member

Or the big T. Our area only has two bike shops. Two trek stores and one Specialized store. And that is it.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    So no more "hundreds of thousands of dollars" for People for Bikes?

Good

fc
    head minion Administrator

That's good info.

There used to be 10,000 bike retailers. Now there's about 5000. Then if half are single-brand dominated, that leaves 2500.

The most basic reason Interbike is out is because their customer base, the retailer looking for brands to carry has declined so much.
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    The Sea Otter Classic ate it up while floating in a kelp field. Did you know they carry a rock in an armpit pouch to crack shells with?

Under each foreleg, the sea otter has a loose pouch of skin that extends across the chest. In this pouch (preferentially the left one), the animal stores collected food to bring to the surface. This pouch also holds a rock, unique to the otter, that is used to break open shellfish and clams.[55] There, the sea otter eats while floating on its back, using its forepaws to tear food apart and bring it to its mouth. It can chew and swallow small mussels with their shells, whereas large mussel shells may be twisted apart.[56] It uses its lower incisor teeth to access the meat in shellfish.[57] To eat large sea urchins, which are mostly covered with spines, the sea otter bites through the underside where the spines are shortest, and licks the soft contents out of the urchin's shell.[56]

The sea otter's use of rocks when hunting and feeding makes it one of the few mammal species to use tools.[58] To open hard shells, it may pound its prey with both paws against a rock on its chest. To pry an abalone off its rock, it hammers the abalone shell using a large stone, with observed rates of 45 blows in 15 seconds.[24] Releasing an abalone, which can cling to rock with a force equal to 4,000 times its own body weight, requires multiple dives.[24]

mtbr member
    Sea Otters will save and use the same rock for years and have been proven to store a cache of too many rocks, even when mrs. sea otter told him he already has too many and needs to get rid of the excess before bring more home..

Hella Olde
    No, honey, I need all these for different types of shells!

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    After hearing how much the attendees hated flying to Reno and the restrictions at Northstar, this is hardly a surprise. Bummer for the folks out of work, hope they land somewhere better soon.

mtbr member
    If you are a true Sea Otter, The correct number of rocks is n+1.

Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Sea Otters will save and use the same rock for years and have been proven to store a cache of too many rocks, even when mrs. sea otter told him he already has too many and needs to get rid of the excess before bring more home..

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    The Sea Otter Classic ate it up while floating in a kelp field. Did you know they carry a rock in an armpit pouch to crack shells with?

Under each foreleg, the sea otter has a loose pouch of skin that extends across the chest. In this pouch (preferentially the left one), the animal stores collected food to bring to the surface. This pouch also holds a rock, unique to the otter, that is used to break open shellfish and clams.[55] There, the sea otter eats while floating on its back, using its forepaws to tear food apart and bring it to its mouth. It can chew and swallow small mussels with their shells, whereas large mussel shells may be twisted apart.[56] It uses its lower incisor teeth to access the meat in shellfish.[57] To eat large sea urchins, which are mostly covered with spines, the sea otter bites through the underside where the spines are shortest, and licks the soft contents out of the urchin's shell.[56]

The sea otter's use of rocks when hunting and feeding makes it one of the few mammal species to use tools.[58] To open hard shells, it may pound its prey with both paws against a rock on its chest. To pry an abalone off its rock, it hammers the abalone shell using a large stone, with observed rates of 45 blows in 15 seconds.[24] Releasing an abalone, which can cling to rock with a force equal to 4,000 times its own body weight, requires multiple dives.[24]
    You understand (caw!) that this is regarding Interbike, and not (CAW!) Sea Otter, don't you?
    What's wrong with him??

Clever Title
    Nov 2009
    What we really need is a bitchin MTB movie to get the youngsters motivated to buy and ride. A RAD for the modern era. Chris Pratt as the goofy bike shop mechanic that teaches them the ways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    What we really need is a bitchin MTB movie to get the youngsters motivated to buy and ride. A RAD for the modern era. Chris Pratt as the goofy bike shop mechanic that teaches them the ways.
    Interbike cancelled- staff let go!-iplaybiking.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRxPZiGYNLg

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackies Pasture View Post
    I know kids who do this - great organization. Pretty sure current XCO World Champ Kate Courtney was doin this just a few years ago....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    Plenty of kids are buying and riding. They just don't go to bike shops much any more since they can research everything on the internet and self educate. My kids know more about certain brands and models way more than any sales guy and bike shop owner.

Also, "dealer tradeshows" are dead. It's an old school way to market when all the information is now found online.

Asswipe
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Plenty of kids are buying and riding. They just don't go to bike shops much any more since they can research everything on the internet and self educate. My kids know more about certain brands and models way more than any sales guy and bike shop owner.

Also, "dealer tradeshows" are dead. It's an old school way to market when all the information is now found online.
    Really? Can the internet can tell you about your personal bike fit, ideal tire for your local terrain, or how to best spend your money on "upgrades"?

I agree that it's a good thing there's so much information out there, and an informed consumer can benefit from online resources, but your LBS is equally a valuable resource if not much more.

The internet can't service your fork, "tune" your rear derailleur, or preload the bearings in your BB, hub, or headset. Not to mention all the tools that come along with those tasks.

If you don't see the value of professionals in the bike industry, you just haven't been riding long enough or you're wearing blinders.

If you buy your bikes at Wally World you can disregard all of the above.

Edit: Not to mention those who worked to gain access, raise funds for, and donated their time and labor to build the trails you ride. In most places it's decades in the making.

Many of those people work, belong to, or live in the bike industry. I'd bet my favorite bike you've never spent a single day with a shovel in your hand, yet you somehow feel entitled enough to post your ignorant thoughts on the internet.

Give something back to the community instead of tearing it down so your kids have something to learn from and continue to grow in the future.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    The 19 year old stoned kid at my bike shop cant provide anything. Seems like half the guys at the lbs struggle to operate the register, much less provide assistance with bicycles.

Most lbs's cant service a fork, and a shocking amount cant tune a derailleur either. Forget about preloading anything, you're better off on parks site doing it yourself.

Many of us do see the values of professionals in the bike industry, but we're noticing a complete void of professionals at the lbs level. All the ones I trust own specialty companies.

The industry is moving. You dont have to like his point, but its a valid point. Things are changing, and many industries are being left behind.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The 19 year old stoned kid at my bike shop cant provide anything. Seems like half the guys at the lbs struggle to operate the register, much less provide assistance with bicycles.

Most lbs's cant service a fork, and a shocking amount cant tune a derailleur either. Forget about preloading anything, you're better off on parks site doing it yourself.

Many of us do see the values of professionals in the bike industry, but we're noticing a complete void of professionals at the lbs level. All the ones I trust own specialty companies.

The industry is moving. You dont have to like his point, but its a valid point. Things are changing, and many industries are being left behind.
    There aren't any better shops around you? My shop has good mechanics, though I do most of it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Did you ever attend?

One of the reasons of its demise is they've never embraced the consumer, the final buyer!

Sea Otter, Outerbike, and many bike festivals are growing quite a bit.
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Did you ever attend?

One of the reasons of its demise is they've never embraced the consumer, the final buyer!

I do feel for the employees affected by IBs demise, but I also think a lot of disenfranchised consumers resented the industry-only
    Brofest. Back in the day we were subjected to yearly photo shoots and stories of indulgence while being evprected to keep fueling their overpriced retail channel. They didnít have a free beer for their customers like they do at the SOC.

Not helpful.
    Did you ever attend?

Yup. Went several times with friends of the industry and had a blast all times.

How could you not like it- new bike stuff, swag, hawt chix and bands.

Remember Father Guido Sarducci? He was the mc at a Schwinn party, and long story short, I "won" a huge Schwinn duffel bag full of stuff- tires, jersey, all sorts of cool schitt. This was back in the day when Schwinn actually was kinda cool. Tammy Jacques (sp) was one of their sponsored riders for a while. 😎

I still have the poster. Edit: if you look closely at the picture, the rider is being handed a cocktail. 🍻
    Interbike cancelled- staff let go!-20181208_165144.jpg
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 5 Days Ago at 06:54 PM.
    What's wrong with him??

Hella Olde
    You understand (caw!) that this is regarding Interbike, and not (CAW!) Sea Otter, don't you?
    Yes, caw caw - IB's relevance was usurped by another industry wank-fest named after the furry sea-hyena. CAW! CAW!

Not helpful.
    I do feel for the employees affected by IBs demise, but I also think a lot of disenfranchised consumers resented the industry-only
    Brofest. Back in the day we were subjected to yearly photo shoots and stories of indulgence while being evprected to keep fueling their overpriced retail channel. They didnít have a free beer for their customers like they do at the SOC.
    Oh, there was free beer, believe you me. Caw!
    What's wrong with him??

jrm
    mtbr member
    when i first read this i thought it was a failure of the promoter and not the event. Its not a failing industry..its just changing faster than the industry can change to adapt. IMO only...Having said that, i have made a number of purchases based on interbike.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I know kids who do this - great organization. Pretty sure current XCO World Champ Kate Courtney was doin this just a few years ago....
    Yes she was; I watched her win state champs in a close race in about 2013 I think. The NorCal league is what got me off my formerly fat ass and into cycling. I saw how cool it was when my kid was racing as a high school freshman. This video does a good job of capturing the pure stoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc
    Billion dollar company - Emerald Expo background info

https://www.emeraldexpositions.com/2...tvZftg2O4M_QWk
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    If done right, can be lots of $$$ in festival promotion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    If done right, can be lots of $$$ in festival promotion.
    Crankworx seems to be doing just fine. They didn't touch on direct sales which was something no one was doing up till somewhat recently.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    I believe there is a great deal of merit to this thought. They openly build it up ahead of time as being this phenomenal mecca of the bike industry, completely exclude the end user and the "wallet" that fuels the industry, and then the chosen few come home and tout and rave about how amazing the event was and then essentially say "hey you peons, buy all this new shit from me that we just saw at f'ing ridiculous prices".

Then I go and personally visit the manufacturers of my interest at Sea Otter where I can get solid answers to my questions and not have to suffer the pain and agony of listening to some pimply-faced 17 y/o named Chip at the LBS guess at what I'm trying to determine before putting my hard-earned ducketts on the line.

Moderator Moderator
    The brick/mortar retail shops will either morph into a more customer friendly value add service or they will disappear. It is interesting to watch the transformation of the general retail sector. I think the auto dealer/service model will be transformed in the next decade.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post

Agree that the industry is changing... and I was bummed to hear about the demise of Interbike. Reminds me when the consumer electronics show CES went the way of of the dodo bird (Caw! Caw! lol) years ago when there were big changes in the IT industry.

Not sure where you are located but in the US mid Atlantic region (plus most places I travel domestically and rent bikes) there are plenty of local bike shops that have competent folks working for them (or the owners themselves who are there every day).

I don't give a crap if they can't service a Lefty fork, stock Magura brake parts, bits for a particular dropper post or some other exotic BS. Many shops specialize in sales/service of certain brands. Not a big deal to research a bit in advance instead of walking in somewhere expecting they can service anything available on the internet.

I give LBS's a lot of credit for dealing with customers who walk in with half-mutilated things that they tried to "fix" themselves and taking care of 'em.

Running a LBS is a tough business for sure however, some do it very well and others maybe not...

Interbike cancelled- staff let go!-screen-shot-2018-12-09-5.05.46-pm.png
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    The brick/mortar retail shops will either morph into a more customer friendly value add service or they will disappear. It is interesting to watch the transformation of the general retail sector. I think the auto dealer/service model will be transformed in the next decade.
    Kinetic in Sacto is like this. Bar where you can talk with the mechs, free beer (bring a bottle or two to replenish the fridge), and great service. Only prob? Special ed only.
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Did you ever attend?

They tried is and it apparently wasnt successful.

Quote Originally Posted by press release from 2017
    Interbike also announced that it is eliminating its Customer Appreciation (consumer-access) Day on the final day of the show, which was started three years ago and netted moderate attendance.
    My opinion is that staying in Vegas too long killed it. I hate Vegas. ( I love Vegas for party, I hate Vegas for trying to "work".)

Not helpful.
    Thread needs pics.

Interbike cancelled- staff let go!-kate-courtney.jpg

Kate Courtney
    What's wrong with him??

Asswipe
    Thread needs pics.
    Suddenly I like this thread a lot more.

Follow up story from PB https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rest-i...bike-expo.html
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Suddenly I like this thread a lot more.

Follow up story from PB https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rest-i...bike-expo.html
    Good read! Some of the comments are pretty astute.

Oops:
    Ready and Wetenkamp had the entire bicycle industry clamoring into their boats...
    Maybe he meant clambering?

From the comments:
    I got to work Interbike as a salesman at FLY Racing back in 2004 and 2005. It was so amazing being there in person after drooling over the issues of MTB Action years prior. Got to meet Radek there in fact . But the costs were so huge. It was literally $5,000 to get our product from the loading docs to the floor .... think about that. It cost more to move it 500ft than it did 1000 miles. Want to get power in your booth? Another $500 to drop and extension cord. The costs were so huge!
    Remember the MBA ads?
    And the Chinese/Taiwanese knockoff ads in the back were ďthe wonderful more than you can believe it!Ē
    Lol
    Somewhat upset that the article said "night clubbing" instead of "knight clubbing" about the Vikings
    And a tip o' the hat to fc:
    I had one of those '10x10' companies back in the Interbike heyday in the 90's. We would scramble to get together some sort of booth to show our wares, pay the fees to Interbike, the lodging, and the meals for four people then lug the stuff over to Vegas for three days. You were located in the virtual basement and had to hope that some dealer or journo would come by to talk to you. Of course no dealer would commit to stock any of your stuff as the big boys sucked up all the dollars. It was the promise of a pic in Mountain Bike Action that made it worthwhile.

After a few years it just became defense spending so that people knew you were in business. What we needed was actual riders coming by, not dealers and Interbike was strict. MTBR really changed the game as now average Joe could see into the booths and going to the show became a waste of time. Why not just eliminate the middle man?

Had some great times though. Got to see old friends and compare notes. Hit the titty bars.....all the trappings of Vegas that seem so pointless at my advanced age now.
    Interbike cancelled- staff let go!-kate-courtney.jpg
    What's wrong with him??

fc
    Thread needs pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kate Courtney.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	1228380

Kate Courtney