tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Inaugural Mad River Enduro, Blue Lake CA, Sept 7 and 8.

Come on up to Humboldt, check out the new trails that Redwood Coast Mountain Bike Association, has been building over the last year in cooperation with Green Diamond Resource Company. And we're just getting started. Staging at Mad River Brewery, a river to swim in, Blue Lake sunshine, and raw, steep, fast, technical courses. You will NOT be sorry. Details here:

https://humboldtenduro.com/

And a look at some of the courses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUUigDwqsZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_VS-fRaz50

mtbr member
    I will be there with 3 other friends from the Bay Area. Canít wait! Hopefully we get some rain before then?!?

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Cross your fingers! Like SC, it gets super grippy after a nice rain...

mtbr member
    Are these trails open to the public?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Those trails look badass!

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    RCMBA members and guests only. Part of the land use agreement. It's pretty easy to hook up with other riders, show up in town and ask around one of the bike shops. Revolution Bikes has been super involved, that's a good place to start. Or go to IMBA.com, sign up for monthly membership and choose RCMBA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjp View Post
    RCMBA members and guests only. Part of the land use agreement. It's pretty easy to hook up with other riders, show up in town and ask around one of the bike shops. Revolution Bikes has been super involved, that's a good place to start. Or go to IMBA.com, sign up for monthly membership and choose RCMBA.
    Awesome. Is there anywhere online or at Revolution Bikes to get maps of the whole trail system?

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    No maps yet, we are working on that. But the strava maps are pretty effective for navigation - all the descents are segments now. It's super easy once you ride it once. One climb up, multiple ways down. A lot like UC. Just ride laps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Trails look dope... probably more than I can handle but kudos for the hard work building.

mtbr member
    No maps yet, we are working on that. But the strava maps are pretty effective for navigation - all the descents are segments now. It's super easy once you ride it once. One climb up, multiple ways down. A lot like UC. Just ride laps.
    Cool thanks for the info!

Hella Olde
    I'm signed up in old ass man & going to Mad River brewery after. Or is it a yuppie joint?

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yuppies are kicked to the curb at MRB.

Hella Olde
    Yuppies are kicked to the curb at MRB.
    I approve of that policy.

Thinking about trimming the new 800mm bars down a bit.....

Hella Olde
    BUMP this RACE

Norcal content:

I had a problem with a new iPhone - the charger wouldn't seat in the port and I couldn't see any obstruction. I made an appointment at the Apple store and rode over there at lunch today. When the young lady emerged from the backroom with the newly unobstructed Lightning port , she said "not to be presumptuous, sir, but it appeared to be cannabis"

mtbr member
    Got a group of 6 people going up to this. For 5 of us this will be completely new riding. Iím excited, always love checking out new places!

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Lots to do that weekend, you'll have a blast on and off the bike. Our tendency is to throw a party. I'll be working timing, will be stumbling around Blue Lake all weekend. Looking forward to meeting you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Got a group of 6 people going up to this. For 5 of us this will be completely new riding. Iím excited, always love checking out new places!
    I would highly recommend preriding the course on Friday. This course will suit those that know it well, but it will help to at least get a couple runs in before hand.
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I would highly recommend preriding the course on Friday. This course will suit those that know it well, but it will help to at least get a couple runs in before hand.
    Thatís the plan.
    Pre-ride Friday. Race Saturday. In search of the steeps/loam on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Looks rowdy and rad-- but I suppose when you have skills like the Trail Peaks guys, even a tame trail can look rad! Would love to see some trails like this in the neighboring county to the south ))

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I just rode these trails this weekend for the first time while up visiting family... everyone going up for the race is in for a treat! Like they said above- steep, raw, technical, and pure awesome. Great for the area and can't wait to see what else gets built!

Hella Olde
    Yeehaw!! gettin psyched. Serious question: how tight are the trees? (with Enduro-bro bars?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Yeehaw!! gettin psyched. Serious question: how tight are the trees? (with Enduro-bro bars?)
    There are a couple speed check tree gaps. I think my bars are 760 and i fit through with some room to spare.

Be prepared to have your rear wheel tickling your balls!

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlegm420 View Post
    There are a couple speed check tree gaps. I think my bars are 760 and i fit through with some room to spare.

Be prepared to have your rear wheel tickling your balls!
    Thanks - I'll wear my Toughskins and trim the 800s!!

STEEEEEEEEP

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Looks like a trip to Mississippi by the sea, i.e. McKinnleyville to visit the sister in law is in order. Last year I had to drive as long as I got to ride going up 299 to Lack's creek, it was nice but those trials in the videos look way better.

Hella Olde
    A little last minute info for this event came to the inbox. Reposting here in case anyone is on the fence......

You had me at 'Brewery'

Hello Racers,
    Thank you all for supporting the Redwood Coast Mountain Bike Association (RCMBA) by signing up for Mad River Enduro. This email contains information regarding the weekend's events. We look forward to seeing you soon.

RCMBA has been hard at work this year with the development of this new trail system in cooperation with Green Diamond Resource Company. A very special thanks to them for letting us hold this event and continue this young trail partnership. These trails are less than a year old and have seen a lot of use. Trail conditions are dry and dusted but the temperature is great. The local community has been excited to say the least for this new, legal place to ride. The trails are all hand built and inherently steep with mostly natural features and hazards off the trail. We ask that you use your best judgement and know before you go. There are several places it could go wrong. This race requires that full face helmets be worn when riding your bike during practice and race day. We hope everyone has a great time and keeps it safe and clean.

Friday Practice and Registration
    Open practice begins at 10am on Saturday. Please park on Taylor Way near the Mad River Brewery. The event will be staged from here all weekend long. We will be offering shuttles on Friday afternoon beginning around 1pm at the latest. Pedal south on Hatchery Road and follow signs directing you to the trails. Shuttle pick up will take place at the bottom of the trails: Go past the locked gate up the road. Follow signs until you see the first turn out on the logging road. All courses will be marked for practice. The stage order has been changed to allow all stages to start from one location and to reduce the amount of climbing.

Registration and packet pick up will begin at 2pm and go until approximately 7pm. This will take place on the patio at Mad River Brewery.

As of today, there will be camping available! Some of you have already reached out and have secured spots at a rental and some local's backyards. But those still looking for a place to stay or would rather camp close to the race will have the option to pitch a tent in a field on Hatchery Road next to the trails. We will be checking in campers beginning Friday at 2pm and will collect $10 per person to give to the landowner. Portas and a wash station will be set up for you. Please be courteous and mindful of the surrounding properties.

Saturday Race Day
    Registration will be open from 7am - 10am on race day at Mad River Brewery. It is preferable that you view some stages if you missed practice. It is possible to do portions of each stage connecting them with logging roads shown on the map. If you are capable of doing this before racing, please consider. Mandatory riders meeting will be held at Mad River Brewery at 10:15am. At 11:00am, Stage 1 will be opened and sending off Pro/Open/Expert riders first, followed by Sport/Beg riders at 30 second intervals. Once all riders complete Stage 1, course tape will be switched to direct riders into a freshly raked section of Stage 2. Riders will continue down "Half Rack" as they did for Stage 1, and be directed into a new section that is raked and taped before descending down "Wood Rat." Pro/Open/Expert riders will start Stage 2 again, followed by Sport/Beg riders. Sport/Beg riders will have an alternative finish line on Stage 2, before traversing out on a neutral section before heading back up to Stage 3. Stages 3 and 4 will be sending riders of all categories down in any order at a minimum of 30 second intervals.

There will be two aid stations on the climb with water and snacks. Please feel free to bring what you prefer. Following the race, each rider will be fed by Blackberry Bramble and thirsts quenched by Mad River Brewery. Podiums will be followed shortly thereafter rewarding the top three riders in each category. For Pro/Open/Expert riders only, there will be a $1,200 cash purse split between the top three males and top three females regardless of category.

We hope you stick around for some music and good times in Blue Lake afterword. Looking forward to the weekend and please email info@humboldtenduro.com with any questions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    This deserves a bump! Camping!

As of today, there will be camping available! Some of you have already reached out and have secured spots at a rental and some local's backyards. But those still looking for a place to stay or would rather camp close to the race will have the option to pitch a tent in a field on Hatchery Road next to the trails. We will be checking in campers beginning Friday at 2pm and will collect $10 per person to give to the landowner. Portas and a wash station will be set up for you. Please be courteous and mindful of the surrounding properties.

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yep, camping between the brewery and the trails...

Cutting entries at 100 for this first year while we sort out the logistics. Only a few spots left. Come get one!

Hella Olde
    Yep, camping between the brewery and the trails...

Cutting entries at 100 for this first year while we sort out the logistics. Only a few spots left. Come get one!
    Down for mine! Hoping to sleep in the bed of a rental pickup - my scraper isn't up for a trip out there.

Inaugural edition of the 3rd annual....

mtbr member
    On our way. 2 Enduros in the rack, 2 Nomads in the bed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Bummed I missed this year, had too much going on with a new job. I hope to see lots of pics! I was hoping to ride there when in Humboldt, but ended up in Sunnybrae/Arcata like always.

mtbr member
    8 laps today. So fun. Itís funny hearing the locals complaining about how loose and blown the trails are. Whereas all of us from SC area are saying how excellent condition these trails are in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah, we were complaining about how blown out it is. The trails have been there for less then a year, so we are still learning how the trails morph throughout the season. We haven't been blessed with badass mtb trails such as you have in SC for so long. So yeah, when the trail conditions change from unreal awesomeness to loose dust, we notice the change and talk about it. It's what humans do. Good luck today!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It's Humboldt, it will be a muddy mess for another 6 months before long..... The clay in most that area is some nasty slick stuff.

mtbr member
    That was probably the most fun Iíve had at a race. Shuttles Friday. Great course. Great food stations. People cheering all over on every stage. Post race food and beer. And I finished 2nd in Expert battling against a bunch of local shredders.

mtbr member
    Went on a ride in the Arcata community forest this morning. Really wanted to get shown a trail with some large jumps and a few real steeps, but also wanted to get on the road early since we had a long drive. Had fun getting lost in the woods with some friends anyways. Even found some moist dirt.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Went on a ride in the Arcata community forest this morning. Really wanted to get shown a trail with some large jumps and a few real steeps, but also wanted to get on the road early since we had a long drive. Had fun getting lost in the woods with some friends anyways. Even found some moist dirt.
    Itís been about ten years since Iíve ridden anything in Arcata but, Arcata Community Forest didnít have a whole lot going on...back then???

mtbr member

Inaugural Mad River Enduro, Blue Lake CA, Sept 7 and 8.

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Itís been about ten years since Iíve ridden anything in Arcata but, Arcata Community Forest didnít have a whole lot going on...back then???
    Mostly just fire roads and very mellow trails. They were awesome xc and climbing trails, but we were all on 160mm+ travel bikes looking to find some downhill. We tried finding some good stuff by taking some of the ďpaths less traveledĒ, but no luck in finding anything fun. We did find some jumps near the college, but in comparison to what we rode the previous two days in blue lake it was a little underwhelming. Always fun though pedaling with friends no matter where you are riding.

We tried hooking up with a few different locals in the morning. But it seems like humboldt time is a little more casual, and no one was ready to ride at 8am.

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I heard rumors of shuttles on a trail not to be mentioned...unfortunately (or fortunately) many of the locals and a bunch of out of towners stayed up late at the Logger Bar after the brewery closed...twas a little bit of a rough morning .

Too bad and my apologies - you missed out on the big jumps you seek, for sure. Thanks for coming up and helping make it a great event! That was amazing.

Til next year...

Hella Olde
    That was sick! I forgot what STEEP meant. The Mammoth enduro later this month will seem tame by comparison. What a great race - hope it happens again - will support! I also got second but only due to lack of entries. The winner of my sport class was one of the main trail-builders from what I heard, and his son won the Pro class if I'm not mistaken. Good people throughout the event and thanks to whoever opened up their yard for camping! Haven't climbed/pushed that much altitude in a while. I was worked at the end.

oops - I was wrong about the pro results.

Congrats to R Boardman for very nearly winning that super-competitive Expert class!

mtbr member
    I heard rumors of shuttles on a trail not to be mentioned...unfortunately (or fortunately) many of the locals and a bunch of out of towners stayed up late at the Logger Bar after the brewery closed...twas a little bit of a rough morning .

Too bad and my apologies - you missed out on the big jumps you seek, for sure. Thanks for coming up and helping make it a great event! That was amazing.

Til next year...
    No worries. We had so much fun we were already planning on heading back sometime this Fall/Winter so we can experience Humboldt County after some rain.

mtbr member
    Super fun race! Trails were steep and fun as advertised. Post ride hang out at Mad River Brewery couldn't be beat.

My son's Stage 1 race footage
    https://youtu.be/MN_Mae7R_hE

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That was sick! I forgot what STEEP meant. The Mammoth enduro later this month will seem tame by comparison. What a great race - hope it happens again - will support! I also got second but only due to lack of entries. The winner of my sport class was one of the main trail-builders from what I heard, and his son won the Pro class if I'm not mistaken. Good people throughout the event and thanks to whoever opened up their yard for camping! Haven't climbed/pushed that much altitude in a while. I was worked at the end.

oops - I was wrong about the pro results.

Congrats to R Boardman for very nearly winning that super-competitive Expert class!
    Hi Boardman, I was the other person in your class. I worked helping my son on Woodrat and Pits, but was more part of the chorus than the band.I'll freely admit that local knowledge on those trails helps-next year will be more equalized. In exchange for my local advantage, I would be glad to show you some local secrets next trip. Send me a PM.
    Btw, are you the Boardman who used to ride D-36 moto enduro?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by codypup View Post
    Hi Boardman, I was the other person in your class. I worked helping my son on Woodrat and Pits, but was more part of the chorus than the band.I'll freely admit that local knowledge on those trails helps-next year will be more equalized. In exchange for my local advantage, I would be glad to show you some local secrets next trip. Send me a PM.
    I think you may be getting two people mixed up. (I raced in Expert 18-29). But yeah, Iíve raced d36 for 15 years and both my uncle and dad have raced Enduros for 20+ years.

I did this ride maybe 10 years ago, I think it was called the Big Boot Enduro. And Iím pretty sure it was in the Humboldt area. You know where this was located?

Hella Olde
    I was the other Geezer racing pretty much blind but it was a total blast and I hope it's on again at least once next year - I'll bring a posse.

The Boardman kid is a super-fast racer - I'm a grizzled beerdrinker. A local I was chatting with said "the guy on the podium with you - he's one of the main trail-builders and his son....etc." That's where my remark came from. Cheers!!

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by infotekt View Post
    Super fun race! Trails were steep and fun as advertised. Post ride hang out at Mad River Brewery couldn't be beat.

My son's Stage 1 race footage
    https://youtu.be/MN_Mae7R_hE

Nice one - here's another that Youtube offered up. Fun trails up there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CxMzEX4Qm8

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    F*** yes I do. Lifetime member of Far West and trail boss of the Big Boot Enduros that left from the Fairgrounds right in town. Also spent many years riding D-36 events until the fun/travel time offset got old.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    yep, they underreported me as the oldest entrant though at 56. I'm coming on hard to 63, but too dumb to quit

Hella Olde
    yep, they underreported me as the oldest entrant though at 56. I'm coming on hard to 63, but too dumb to quit
    Right on. This thread came back from the dead so I'll add the I saw an IG post from Humboldt Enduro today talking about the Dia de los Muertos enduro at Tish Tang next weekend.

Hella Olde
    Right on. This thread came back from the dead, so I'll add the I saw an IG post from Humboldt Enduro today talking about the Dia de los Muertos enduro at Tish Tang next weekend.

mtbr member
    Right on. This thread came back from the dead, so I'll add the I saw an IG post from Humboldt Enduro today talking about the Dia de los Muertos enduro at Tish Tang next weekend.
    I saw that. Too bad Humbolt is so far away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    - I'm a grizzled beerdrinker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    We understand. Living in Humboldt, everything is far from us. Dia de los Muertos is a Pirate Ride event and there will be others popping up through the fall