I'm in love - serious bike love!- Mtbr.com
    Are we there yet?

I'm in love - serious bike love!

http://www.yeticycles.com/Bikes/BikesASRCarbon.cfm

Today at McDowell the were demo-ing Yeti's. I got to demo the '08 ASR-C. After a few adjustments to the rebound (seriously crumbled my cookie!) I was loving this bike on the climbs. The front end is super light and gets a bit squirrley but that's my only complaint. It was crazy fun riding it on the Long Loop today! Thankfully they aren't out yet so I'll have plenty of time to save for some bike bling!

Afterwards my SC Superlight wasn't feeling to super light.

~~~~~~~
    oh no! first rule of bike demoing- don't demo a bike unless you are ready to buy a new one. second rule, don't sell your current bike until you have your new bike. (note: many of these same rules apply to significant others). horrible, but true.

i have violated these bike rules in the last 18 months. what happened? i paid for a new bike i didn't have and sold a bike long before i had another one to ride. sure- no bikes ever felt slighted, abused, or taken advantage of, but me- i was oh so unhappy. i spent my money, and i had nothing to ride on the trails on beautiful weekends on the coast. i was in misery. i thought about getting a blow up bike.

so, msrutzie, what's the deal with the integrated carbon post? it just makes me cringe to see one on anything but a pure road bike, and even then..... i guess i've just had some bad luck with carbon and off road, but my experience tells me its a bad idea. still, i like yeti, and i think they make a high quality bike. anything else you might be considering?

Are we there yet?
    Yeah, the integrated seat post is a wonderful idea if you are Yeti. Once you cut it there is no going back so Yeti has basically made it difficult to resell the bike. Spend your $5100 and it's yours unless you happen to find someone with the same inseam as you who wants the bike. Otherwise the integrated design is pretty tricky.

I had heard the concerns about carbon as a race bike and/or on dirt but my riding buddies assured me that unless it's a major crash (which I'm fully capable of) it probably won't be a concern.

NedwannaB

Got the ASR bug too!

Quote Originally Posted by msrutzie
    http://www.yeticycles.com/Bikes/BikesASRCarbon.cfm

Today at McDowell the were demo-ing Yeti's. I got to demo the '08 ASR-C. After a few adjustments to the rebound (seriously crumbled my cookie!) I was loving this bike on the climbs. The front end is super light and gets a bit squirrley but that's my only complaint. It was crazy fun riding it on the Long Loop today! Thankfully they aren't out yet so I'll have plenty of time to save for some bike bling!

Afterwards my SC Superlight wasn't feeling to super light.
    Cambria made me a super-duper offer to buy an ASR-SL carbon stays frame, not sure I'm talanted enough to rock the pink color scheme though , but what a sweet ride it would be. As for the integrated post on your demo, I'd be leary unless you're sure it's yours for life, yours or the bikes!!

aka dan51
    How does the demo work with the integrated seatpost? Do you just have to ride it even if it's not right for you? Or were there so many that one was bound to be the right size?
    The integrated post might not be too bad if the coupler allowed about 1" worth of adjustment.

mtbr member
    That asr-c looks like a rocket. Carbon makes me nervous too, but my experiences with yeti customer service have been great. They definitely stand behind their products and will bend over backward to make you happy if you have a problem with one of their bikes.

I'm pretty sure the bracket on the end of the seatmast does allow about an inch of adjustment, and if you buy one second hand and need more seatpost, you can cut the mast all the way off and install an adapter that allows a regular seatpost.

Are we there yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    How does the demo work with the integrated seatpost? Do you just have to ride it even if it's not right for you? Or were there so many that one was bound to be the right size?
    The integrated post might not be too bad if the coupler allowed about 1" worth of adjustment.
    They had one of each size (S,M and L). The integrated seat post had enough play on the S frame that we could dial it fine enough for a demo ride. You have about an inch of play with the integrated seat post. I could just FLY up hills but on the technically rocky climbs it would take me a while to get used to it since it was so different than my SC.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Mojo?

If you like carbon, you may want to demo a Ibis Mojo, also. The prices for ASR and Mojo are similar, though now that I think about it, the Mojo is longer travel (5.5 inches) -- more comparable to the Yeti 575 carbon.

I was thinking about both, and went with the Mojo. I'm super, super happy with it. No integrated seatpost on the Mojo, which is good for me 'cuz I like using a gravity dropper. There is a Mojo SL that is even lighter, too (<22 lbs and 5.5 in ). I saw someone demo-ing a mojo at Wilder in the fall, right before I bought mine. Not sure what shop they used to arrange the demo, though.

www.ibiscycles.com/mojo
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/mojosl/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdave
    If you like carbon, you may want to demo a Ibis Mojo, also. The prices for ASR and Mojo are similar, though now that I think about it, the Mojo is longer travel (5.5 inches) -- more comparable to the Yeti 575 carbon.

I was thinking about both, and went with the Mojo. I'm super, super happy with it. No integrated seatpost on the Mojo, which is good for me 'cuz I like using a gravity dropper. There is a Mojo SL that is even lighter, too (<22 lbs and 5.5 in ). I saw someone demo-ing a mojo at Wilder in the fall, right before I bought mine. Not sure what shop they used to arrange the demo, though.

www.ibiscycles.com/mojo
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/mojosl/
    I think TrailHead had some mojos at Demo once? What a fun day that was

Looking at the website, they appear to have some available:

http://www.trailheadcyclery.com/Bike...kes/index.html

mtbr member
    If you are completely in love with carbon and ready to shell out $3K for the frame I would shop around and take a look at something like carbon-ti blend. This thing also CLIMBS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0