I'm desperate for a PumpTrack- Mtbr.com
    PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

I'm desperate for a PumpTrack

Since Oakland seems stalled, can anyone give a update on the Pump Track situation in the Greater Bay Area/NorCal region?

Where are the best tracks in the area?

I'm really diggin it!
    Oof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Been rolling out to the Pleasanton BMX Park with my kid quite a bit. It's a pretty fun spot. Something for everyone.... unless you don't ride bikes.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have been but there is a skills (pump track?) in Richmond I think it's called dirt world. There also one(was?) by the fire station off of San Pablo ave. and Clinton in Richmond ,it was build by the fire fighters.

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    Has the Dirt World large pumptrack been watered and packed?
    We were there last fall and it was (the whole place was) loose and deep dirt that needed water and packing.

Pleasanton is a nice evening, but it's a jump park. You can put together a pump and jump circuit, but it has to be at 7:30 on a weekday. OMG... On saturday morning it looked like recess at a kindergarten class by 9:30

How is Scott's Valley doing?

Did they get the re-do at Lake Cunningham finished?

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    Forgive me Davey, but I'm not getting the intonation of your reply.

I hope not to be offensive, or seem repetitive.

A roll call of area Pump Track conditions is what I am hoping for.
    I plan to start a bit of careful venturing out, and Santa Cruz is a long trip to find out Harvey West is being worked on, or neglected.

mtbr member
    There is a pump track in Redmond, OR that is sweet. Also 2 good ones in Bellingham WA. Other than that, every one Iíve been to sucks.

mtbr member
    If you like riding skateparks, there are quite a few of them. I have one close to my house that I ride several times a week. Usually a MTB/BMX session then a skate session. Slick paint adds an extra dimension of fun.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm desperate for a PumpTrack-_dsc2422-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I recently learned, ďBuild it and they will comeĒ... it wasnít that hard (~80 man hours for 0.15 mile loop)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm desperate for a PumpTrack-b55153bf-f1d4-4f15-b7d7-65f36ab31aa0.jpeg  

2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    It has been close to 2 years since the Boatwright Fields pumptrack was bulldozed for the last time.
    My racing buddy and I maintained and improved that track for about 4 years.
    At the time of it's death it was a respectable track and a huge part of my mountain bike training.
    I miss it sorely.

I would build again, but finding a gem of a spot has proven difficult.
    Flat, secluded, next to a water source, with a low chance of getting bulldozed, is a Unicorn in my Concord/Walnut Creek area.
    We tried, and after 60-80 man hours of sight prep, trash clean up, shrub trimming, and initial layout, the city came and shoveled flat our initial digging. And cut the lock and confiscated tools.

I have talked a bit to city park officials, and all have been receptive, but all stated that the review and approval process is mandatory. No one want to give us a small corner of park or unincorporated land and a hose.
    No water, no pumptrack.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    There's a few in SC but they're small and crowded usually. Best for local kids.

The biggest one I've been to is Lake Cunningham Bike Park. Looks like they're open too. $10 fee but it's a big facility with other lines.

https://www.sanjose.org/listings/lak...on-sports-park
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm desperate for a PumpTrack-screen-shot-2020-06-16-9.14.23-am.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Lake Cunningham is NOT open yet. There are some camps for kids this month and last I heard was that they will open up in July. But you have to be a annual member, no day passes, and I think there will be some sort of registration online to limit the numbers in the park. Information is difficult to get. Best way to get info is from their Instagram account. Things are always changing so this information may already be outdated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    A bonus at Cunningham is the skate park, which you can ride sections of--especially the (world's largest) full pipe. The dual slalom is pretty fun, too.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post
    I have talked a bit to city park officials, and all have been receptive, but all stated that the review and approval process is mandatory. No one want to give us a small corner of park or unincorporated land and a hose.
    No water, no pumptrack.
    Did you ask what the approval/review process is? It might be easy. It might be impossible. There have been several reviewed and built in the Bay Area in the past few years.
    BTCEB may be able to help, they helped with it in Oakland. As far as I know it's ready to build but waiting for volunteer work to resume.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post
    How is Scott's Valley doing?
    It's very small but in decent shape, mostly good for younger kids, no expert lines. I stop by and do a few laps at the end of my rides sometimes or ride over there for a session if I don't have time for a trail ride. But I wouldn't drive here to ride it.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    maybe you can find a swatch of land and build a little one, like we did here I'm desperate for a PumpTrack-05d4d79d-9454-412c-8180-c1105fa46d95.jpg

mtbr member
    In San Jose, bordering Cupertino, there is Calabazas Park with a small beginner pump track and increasingly "advanced" dirt jump circuits. Maybe not worth the drive for you if you have closer alternatives, but is totally free. One big problem, right now, is that the restrooms are closed.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyOptics View Post
    In San Jose, bordering Cupertino, there is Calabazas Park with a small beginner pump track and increasingly "advanced" dirt jump circuits. Maybe not worth the drive for you if you have closer alternatives, but is totally free. One big problem, right now, is that the restrooms are closed.
    I live near here so I can chime in.

First off, it's closed and it's been closed for 2+ months. So it's in miserable shape.

Second there is a small kid are that can considered a pump track but it is awful. It'l basically little jumps with the unmaintained lips rolled off so they're not jumps anymore. Lots of lil kids too. And roadie dads.

80% of the area is dirt jumps, big ones. Most of the jumpers use about 25% of the area since the rest of it is bad.

Sooo.... it is closed and waiting for a rebuild, just fyi.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Stafford lake in Novato is open i think

mtbr member
    It actually got opened up one or two weeks ago. And you're right: it's in bad shape.

And your description sounds totally spot-on and better than what I tried to convey. I'm basically a roadie dad feebly trying to not get injured on a BMX while accompanying my son on his BMX.

I'm a ~10 minute drive away, so it's presence is something I appreciate, warts and all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyOptics View Post
    It actually got opened up one or two weeks ago. And you're right: it's in bad shape.

And your description sounds totally spot-on and better than what I tried to convey. I'm basically a roadie dad feebly trying to not get injured on a BMX while accompanying my son on his BMX.

I'm a ~10 minute drive away, so it's presence is something I appreciate, warts and all.
    After the age of 30, falling become progressively less fun.

Even though this is for skating, this is a great video on falling in general.

mtbr member
    Yeesh, just watching those videos makes me want to double over in phantom pain. But thanks...will give 'em a good watch.

I'm into my mid-40's, so crashing is something I really don't take cavalierly. I recent wiped out on a road ride, due to my own idiocy, but was lucky and came down really well...just a sore tailbone for a couple days, and a one-inch scab on an elbow. No biggie.

Hadn't ridden much until recently and hadn't crashed, before that, for maybe a decade. Well, except for a few no-speed wipeouts while trying to learn to unicycle.

Anyway, the Calaveras BMX park actually works well for me. The mid-sized jumps are terrifying to me, even if I just roll up and over, and the big ones make me feel like wetting myself. And the janky pump track is still a good place for me to work on developing dirt skills. Those little baby "jumps" that 4 year olds can balance bike over are already at the limit of what I feel okay trying to "send."

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Is Harvey West open? It was posted on here a few weeks ago that there are plans for a pump track in Menlo Park.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Weaverville

Weaverville. Track is awesome. Middle of freaking nowhere. Great trails in the area too.
    I'm desperate for a PumpTrack-lowden-park-pump.jpg
    I'm desperate for a PumpTrack-72217389_2546539022080390_5107320300878430208_o-2.jpg
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Iím in mid 40 and just started riding mtb a month ago. I went to Pleasanton BMW park a few days ago and tried medium jump twice and went over the bar twice. Not too bad the falling stuff. Definitely not as bad as falling on trail. That being said, Iím going to wear Armour next time I go to bike park.

mtbr member
    This is going on in Fair Oaks (eastern suburb of Sacramento)

The Phoenix Bike Park will be closed beginning Monday, June 22nd. If all goes to schedule, it will re-open Saturday, June 27th. Delays are possible, but we will do our best to open the bike park as soon as possible. Once construction is complete and the area is free of heavy equipment, Fair Oaks Recreation & Park District will be excited to present to you the brand new Phoenix Bike Park and Pump Track. This project is part of putting your Measure J Bond funds to work! See you at the pump track!
    facebook link

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    This is going on in Fair Oaks (eastern suburb of Sacramento)

facebook link
    Interesting. I wasn't aware this one existed. Will have to go check it out. Had foot surgery last month, but give it another couple weeks and will be riding the new park in Auburn with my 5YOs.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrie View Post
    Iím in mid 40 and just started riding mtb a month ago. I went to Pleasanton BMW park a few days ago and tried medium jump twice and went over the bar twice. Not too bad the falling stuff. Definitely not as bad as falling on trail. That being said, Iím going to wear Armour next time I go to bike park.
    You should take a lesson on how to jump. Dylan Renn at A Singletrack Mind or Ian Massy are two professional instructors in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk