If you have cheap bikes in the garage, sell them NOW.- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

If you have cheap bikes in the garage, sell them NOW.

Bike Seller's Market | I just tried selling two bikes last night under $350. One bike had 3 offers in 5 minutes and the other was sold in an hour, both using Facebook Marketplace. It's crazy. The desperation on these buyers' tone was obvious. Full price.

The Shelter situation has made many realize that they need a bike, or many bikes in the household. So if you have old bikes you've been hanging on to for ages, now is the time to get much dollars for them.

Looking at the selection below is the state of affairs.

What do you guys use for local sales? Facebook is cool since you can look up the profile of folks before dealing with them. The default reply though is "Is it still available?" so you'll get dozens of that. Craigslist is kind of a mess the last time I tried.

So under $500 bikes are poppin! Expensive bikes are fetching better prices than ever too. So get out and get those cobweb bikes reused out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you have cheap bikes in the garage, sell them NOW.-96407254_10158109989628213_5634088187077853184_o.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I am not in CA, but the bike biz is booming here. what about nicer parts? It seems like everyone is buying up cheap bikes, but it's impossible to sell anything nicer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I put my 2012 Trek Fuel EX 8 in CL last night and have 7 emails and a couple of appts. It's actually a real nice bike, was always a back up bike but it's a 26er so I priced it under 1000 at 995 and I think that's probably why. I didn't expect too many responses tho due to the "SIP" order and am surprised.

Paper or plastic?
    Sold two old 26ers on Facebook since SIP. LBS shelves are half empty.

Definitely a real uptick in bike sales.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    May 2006
    What is the best strategy for avoiding contact points? No test ride unless you are buying for sure? Also, are you doing venmo to avoid dealing with cash?

EAT MORE GRIME
    wear a mask
    just wash your hands later, and don't touch your face, cash is fine.

don't freak out about touching things, it's your face and eyes you gotta not touch
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    What is the best strategy for avoiding contact points? No test ride unless you are buying for sure? Also, are you doing venmo to avoid dealing with cash?
    Do not use Venmo (or Zelle etc.) with strangers. It is not secure or safe. You will not be protected from scams.

Cash or I assume PayPal.

mtbr member
    I worry about paypal. if the buyer drives away and then says to Paypal "i didn't authorize that" or "the seller didn't come through with what they said I was buying" or something, you might lose the money and the bike you just "sold." I am not sure how common that is, but I only do cash for that reason.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Venmo has been the best for me. Instantaneous notification and no fees. They just scan your code and you go from there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just do cash. Wear a mask. When done wash your hands and prior to that don't touch your face. Mostly common sense. That's all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wow, great tip. Had this tailgate pad I had on CL for a while. Posted on FB marketplace and got 4-5 people interested. Is CL dead or what?

injured reserve list
    I'm sure the cash is fine, its been snorted from, been in coochies at the strip club, used for TP, buger hands, and countless other places you don't want to know before the pandemic. Cash is king in my transactions.
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by adagioca View Post
    Wow, great tip. Had this tailgate pad I had on CL for a while. Posted on FB marketplace and got 4-5 people interested. Is CL dead or what?
    Seems like it. Sold a car last year on FB, while I got no solid bit on CL

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Carry hand sanitizer (or rubbing alcohol) and apply it to all contact points before and after the person tests rides. Should be good with that. Obviously, you and the other person should be wearing masks the whole time.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by villaphoto View Post
    Venmo has been the best for me. Instantaneous notification and no fees. They just scan your code and you go from there.
    Venmo!! So cool and everyone has it. I'm a Paypal guy but seems to have aged out. And one has to ask for 'friends and family' or the fee is charged.

Wear a mask and bring clorox wipes. Most folks have time to drive over right now. And many have 'notification' set when new 'cheap' bikes are posted.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I worry about paypal. if the buyer drives away and then says to Paypal "i didn't authorize that" or "the seller didn't come through with what they said I was buying" or something, you might lose the money and the bike you just "sold." I am not sure how common that is, but I only do cash for that reason.
    Definitely a concern. I never knew they can renege on a payment after it was already made.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Not sure if they resolved it, but read about a lot about scamming happening on Venmo. Probably safer on something like used bikes versus iPhones, sneakers and similar commodities.

I use UV-C to nuke viruses on my phone, money, wallet, keys etc https://www.phonesoap.com

mtbr member
    Venmo is totally safe. once they pay you, they can't get it back. Bought and sold multiple bikes over 1k with it.

mtbr member
    PayPal owns Venmo, so I would think they are equally safe or risky.

I sold my Megatower in a week for full asking price and the guy drove up from LA to pick it up. $4500. Got so many offers I was turning down people offering 4300. Pinkbike is still the best for high end bike sales in my opinion. I post my stuff everywhere and I almost always have the best interactions and sales on there.

But yes, bike stuff is selling like crazy. Along with home gym stuff.

mtbr member
    I don’t let anyone test ride my bikes before I sell them. But usually if you’re buying a $4-5k bike, you know what you are looking for.

Up In Smoke
    I'm seeing a lot of junk for sale on craigslist. I'd be willing to bet if anyone is getting ripped off in most transactions its the guy buying your '01 stumpjumper for $699

Lightly salted
    Its not just bikes. I just sold 3 synthesisiers on Ebay and I was shocked how high the bids went!

mtbr member
    These posts inspired me to dust off my kid's old DiamondBack.
    Posted on CL this morning. Got lots of potential buyers.

Ended up giving it away for free to a teacher going through a rough patch.

Funds towards a new Pike can wait a little longer.

mtbr member
    I've used unemployment/ shelter in place as a time to clean out the garage the last couple months. I've sold 3 surfboards, 2 bikes, an old pike fork and a bunch of other random crap I had laying around. All on craigs. I've generally had good experiences on CL once I've sifted through all the bs emails, though you always have to deal with the flakes.

mtbr member
    Looking for a sub $500 basic bike if anyone gots. Geared, prefer mtn, nothing fancy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    CL for bikes seems to be far less flaky than selling other things on CL. Not sure why that is.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    CL for bikes seems to be far less flaky than selling other things on CL. Not sure why that is.
    cell phones on craigslist = stranger danger. Iphone X for $69!
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    I've used unemployment/ shelter in place as a time to clean out the garage the last couple months. I've sold 3 surfboards, 2 bikes, an old pike fork and a bunch of other random crap I had laying around. All on craigs. I've generally had good experiences on CL once I've sifted through all the bs emails, though you always have to deal with the flakes.
    That's what I'm talking about!!!! Folks are hovering to buy all day. Cheap stuff, projects, exercise. They need something to do and scratch that shopping itch.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Looking for a sub $500 basic bike if anyone gots. Geared, prefer mtn, nothing fancy.
    What size?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    What size?
    Medium - thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolo_MTB View Post
    Venmo is totally safe. once they pay you, they can't get it back. Bought and sold multiple bikes over 1k with it.
    directly from Venmo's website:
    Keep yourself safe
    Venmo is designed for payments between friends and people who trust each other. Avoid payments to people you don't know, especially if it involves a sale for goods and services (like event tickets and Craigslist items). These payments are potentially high risk, and you could lose your money without getting what you paid for. Venmo does not offer buyer or seller protection. Business usage of Venmo requires an application and explicit authorization. For more information, see our User Agreement.
    https://venmo.com/about/security/

I specifically looked this info up when I bought a bike off of Pinkbike ads. I used cash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    PayPal owns Venmo, so I would think they are equally safe or risky.
    They're two different products for different purposes.

PayPal is for business transactions between essentially strangers. Has buyer / seller protections which are part of the fees.

Venmo is for making transfers between people who know each other. social payments. paying back your buddy for lunch, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwsurfer View Post
    directly from Venmo's website:

https://venmo.com/about/security/

I specifically looked this info up when I bought a bike off of Pinkbike ads. I used cash.
    The clarify, I have used Venmo once I was physically with the person and was doing the hand-off, same as I would with cash. I would not give someone Venmo in hopes they would ship me something or meet me "later". If you meet them in person, you are at the same risk or less of having a wad of cash. They can steal you phone, but hopefully you have a Pin. Plus your phone has GPS, Cash doesn't. You can never remove the full risks of in person, but meet somewhere public, and Venmo or cash works fine. They cannot ask Venmo give their money back after you leave.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolo_MTB View Post
    The clarify, I have used Venmo once I was physically with the person and was doing the hand-off, same as I would with cash. I would not give someone Venmo in hopes they would ship me something or meet me "later". If you meet them in person, you are at the same risk or less of having a wad of cash. They can steal you phone, but hopefully you have a Pin. Plus your phone has GPS, Cash doesn't. You can never remove the full risks of in person, but meet somewhere public, and Venmo or cash works fine. They cannot ask Venmo give their money back after you leave.
    The scam I know of works the other way.

The buyer is using a fraudulent source of funds when creating their Venmo account. A stolen credit card for instance. So you sell your bike to the scammer and accept the venmo payment. Yay! $2000 in my venmo account. Scammer rides off with your bike. Later that day or next day Venmo discovers the fraudulent payment and they take your money back. Sucks for you is all they will say. You didn't follow their terms and conditions.
    https://venmo.com/legal/us-user-agreement
    Last edited by mattwsurfer; 05-14-2020 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added link to terms and conditions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwsurfer View Post
    They're two different products for different purposes.

PayPal is for business transactions between essentially strangers. Has buyer / seller protections which are part of the fees.

Venmo is for making transfers between people who know each other. social payments. paying back your buddy for lunch, etc.
    Not a fan of either but i do use them - too convenient. I dislike Venmo's social feature - I really don't want to know who pays who for what, seems pretty invasive - I have mine private lol. Also people usually forget on PP to use the 'friends' method rather than 'goods and services' so I usually eat the fee when I use it.

Venmo uses Plaid, which is the connector app between Venmo and your bank. Can't wait for them to get hacked. Total shit show. As with any online app there is always a risk.

mtbr member
    I tried selling an old beach cruiser 6 months ago with no luck. Re-posted yesterday because of this thread and got 7 hits overnight. Ended up selling it for twice as much as I originally had it listed for!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I tried selling an old beach cruiser 6 months ago with no luck. Re-posted yesterday because of this thread and got 7 hits overnight. Ended up selling it for twice as much as I originally had it listed for!
    Holy schit. Can we see the bike and the price? (or ad).

Pretty cool huh? Sharing is caring!

It's also a warning for folks not start the price too low. I got 5 hits in 5 minutes on one sale and that's a sign it was worth more.
    IPA will save America

stop...safety first
    Posted on CL at six am. Six responses by 9. Sold by noon. No haggling. WOW it is sellers market

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I got two old Ellsworths, in really good shape. One's a Joker. an '05, the last year they made em. It has 7" of rear wheel travel and a Lyric up from with 1700 mm travel. Dropper post too. With the dropper it descends and turns really well. An it weighs under 30 lb.s. I doubt I could get more than 500 bucks for that, even with the "collector's value"shtick. tossed in.
    Just call me Ray

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    I got two old Ellsworths, in really good shape. One's a Joker. an '05, the last year they made em. It has 7" of rear wheel travel and a Lyric up from with 1700 mm travel. Dropper post too. With the dropper it descends and turns really well. An it weighs under 30 lb.s. I doubt I could get more than 500 bucks for that, even with the "collector's value"shtick. tossed in.
    I will give you $1,258,378,984 for the Joker! CASH!!!!
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Well at least you live in a Country that can print all that money for you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sellers market is hot!!!! Tried selling some bike stuff last year with no luck. During the SIP reposted those bike items and they sold fast. I just asked buyer to practice social distancing and used mask, gloves, Lysol wipes and cash

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Sold!
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Holy schit. Can we see the bike and the price? (or ad).

Pretty cool huh? Sharing is caring!

It's also a warning for folks not start the price too low. I got 5 hits in 5 minutes on one sale and that's a sign it was worth more.
    I can’t figure out how to upload a photo from my phone.... it was a beach cruiser that sat in my garage for 10 years. 6 months ago it dropped all the way to $30 with no interest. I posted it for $50 and got tons of interest. Ended up selling it for $60. I listed my wife’s old Schwinn townie tonight and it’s selling tomorrow! Bought it from Target 10 years ago for ~$100 and selling it tomorrow for the same price!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    PM sent

fc
    Non-boost, 2x, rim brake, 26er... a lot of these have value now since many buyers don't care.

This is your chance to clear out!!
    IPA will save America

Paper or plastic?
    From your garage to somebody else's.

mtbr member
    Non-boost, 2x, rim brake, 26er... a lot of these have value now since many buyers don't care.

This is your chance to clear out!!
    Some buyers might even think they're getting ripped off if "only" 1x

default title
    Mar 2008
    I guess I'm putting bikes back together this weekend.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    May 2019
    *sigh* Why did my boy decide to grow over an inch during SIOP His bike was getting too small even before then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Saw this yesterday and put up two entry level hardtails that we don’t rally ride anymore and wow...both gone and one went for over asking price. Thanks for the heads up!

fc
    If you made money because of this post, you owe me. Owe me a HIGH FIVE!!!!

Yeah. Reuse, recycle!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You could also consider recycling them through shops like Good Karma (not self-serving...I'm no longer affiliated) or SVBE...or sell them on the open market and consider funding a bike for people who really need them (my current favorite is World Bicycle Relief).

Up In Smoke
    Sure enough, posted a bike for sale and i'm getting hits within the hour. I might go as far as selling all my bikes to fund something new. I think theres a new Intense Sniper calling me

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    delete

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don’t let anyone test ride my bikes before I sell them. But usually if you’re buying a $4-5k bike, you know what you are looking for.
    Do you sell from home or put it on your bike rack and meet somewhere. I am paranoid someone will come check the bike out, turn it down...then come back when I'm at work because they now know its in the house.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by dpo View Post
    Do you sell from home or put it on your bike rack and meet somewhere. I am paranoid someone will come check the bike out, turn it down...then come back when I'm at work because they now know its in the house.
    Meet at the police station near you.
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks! I like that idea...even better since one is fairly close.

mtbr member
    Have the police suddenly started investigating stolen bikes?!

mtbr member
    No, If I meet someone it’s usually at a shopping center or someplace public. Before hand I try to stock their social media too if I have a full name (one thing nice about FB marketplace is you can do that easily. If we have mutual friends I can reach out to one of them and just make sure this guy is legit and isn’t gone take my money and run).

My favorite is selling it to a friend that’s close enough that I can trust, but not close enough that they will complain/ask me a million questions anytime they find something wrong with the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    FFS, you guys need to work on your presence/confidence if you're that paranoid. Ask your parents to enroll you in karate class or something. Not all strangers are out to rob you. Learn to read situations.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Have the police suddenly started investigating stolen bikes?!
    Yes! Here in my burgh, they've recovered over two bikes stolen in the last decade!

George Orwell

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZe View Post
    FFS, you guys need to work on your presence/confidence if you're that paranoid. Ask your parents to enroll you in karate class or something. Not all strangers are out to rob you. Learn to read situations.
    SO easy to say.

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by finch platte View Post
    so easy to say.
    where's my money!
    Just call me Ray

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    where's my money!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsxJfcFVnpo

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Yes! Here in my burgh, they've recovered over two bikes stolen in the last decade!
    FWIW MVPD found and returned my stolen bike undamaged in about two weeks!

I registered this account to post a be on the lookout thread but the police recovered it before my account was approved to post.

mtbr member
    Yeah karate can stop bullets.

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the original poster for bringing this to my attention. Had a Trek 3700 sitting in a bedroom for the last 7 years just collecting dust in great shape. Sold in less than 8 hours for four hundred bucks. Had at least 40 messages this morning when I got up weird thing is people were messaging me at 1 2 and 3 in the morning LOL. Freaks!

stop...safety first
    Happened again
    Posted on CL and sold within six hours.
    I’m glad my old bike is getting a second life

fc
    Thanks for the original poster for bringing this to my attention. Had a Trek 3700 sitting in a bedroom for the last 7 years just collecting dust in great shape. Sold in less than 8 hours for four hundred bucks. Had at least 40 messages this morning when I got up weird thing is people were messaging me at 1 2 and 3 in the morning LOL. Freaks!
    40 messages. 40!

The desperation is palpable.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by TubeSSnapper View Post
    Happened again
    Posted on CL and sold within six hours.
    I’m glad my old bike is getting a second life
    What’s really cool is stuff sitting in our garages for years will be put in daily action
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Y'all weren't kidding. I posted my wife's 2012 road bike in the evening, and by morning I had 6 anxious buyers. 1 low-ball, everyone else willing to pay posted price without any attempt at haggling. And I asked a fair but "optimistic" price, expecting it to be negotiated down.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    Y'all weren't kidding. I posted my wife's 2012 road bike in the evening, and by morning I had 6 anxious buyers. 1 low-ball, everyone else willing to pay posted price without any attempt at haggling. And I asked a fair but "optimistic" price, expecting it to be negotiated down.
    I think supply and demand really says we could be charging more. Of course don't want to rip people off. But if there are 5 full price offers in 30 minutes (my case) prolly underpriced.

I have friends who've been looking for a sub $400 bike for the family and it is miserable as he sends me links for these wrecks for $300.

He finally bought a $150 Kona bike with no working brakes! 'Just needs a little bleed.' Let's just say he's lucky we're buds, and I'm taking visitors now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you have cheap bikes in the garage, sell them NOW.-img_9662.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sold my circa 1999/2000 FS 26er, rim brakes. Needed some minor tune-up (like new cables) and of course front fork was clapped out for serious riding but total usable for cruising around and hitting the green and blues.

$300. Multiple offers. Lots of tire kickers - sold in 2 days on FB.

fc
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/n...ronavirus.html

Yay bikes

-----

“There is no way to keep inventory for sub-$1,000 bikes,” said Lee Katz, co-owner of Turin Bikes in Chicago. “We’ve got a few right now, but it’s a matter of scrambling for them. We really don’t expect to see much in the way of inventory like that until July.”
    ----

"Even his 75-year-old mother, for whom he bought an electric bike in November, has become an avid cyclist in her neighborhood in Santa Barbara, Calif.

“She hadn’t been riding that much, but because of the pandemic she’s been cooped up in her house and wanted to get out,” he said. “Now she bikes around the same loop and her neighbors wave at her when she passes them. For her in her community it’s like the Tour de France.”
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    My niece wants a specific Huffy cruiser for her graduation. Can't find it anywhere, except a used one priced 50 bucks over what it cost new. For a Huffy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-26-...Blue/811069387If you have cheap bikes in the garage, sell them NOW.-huffy-cruiser.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    My niece wants a specific Huffy cruiser for her graduation. Can't find it anywhere, except a used one priced 50 bucks over what it cost new. For a Huffy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-26-...Blue/811069387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huffy cruiser.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	278.2 KB 
ID:	1334307
    That's sweet looking cruiser though. Would look great posing for The Gram.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    That's sweet looking cruiser though. Would look great posing for The Gram.
    One more 13YO girl on a bike is a step in the right direction. She has some sweet trails right in her backyard, so who knows how far she could go?

Duck Fonald
    1996 Specialized Ground Control for $1,100.

Yeouch!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik...129611221.html

George Orwell

Duck Fonald
    This planet is sooo screwed.

George Orwell

Duck Fonald
    I think supply and demand really says we could be charging more. Of course don't want to rip people off. But if there are 5 full price offers in 30 minutes (my case) prolly underpriced.

I have friends who've been looking for a sub $400 bike for the family and it is miserable as he sends me links for these wrecks for $300.

He finally bought a $150 Kona bike with no working brakes! 'Just needs a little bleed.' Let's just say he's lucky we're buds, and I'm taking visitors now.
    Is that a turtle on the front tire?!?

George Orwell

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Must be a Bay Area phenomenon. I’ve been trying to sell nice 2008 carbon road bike for $550 and all I get are ridiculous low ballers and a few tire kickers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    man this makes me wish I had a bike in my garage I was interested in selling..... I am keeping my old Big Hit for my son when he is old enough to downhill on it. No other bikes hanging out that I do not use or want to keep for other reasons.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    It's not so great having a garage full of unridden bikes. My N+1 instincts have gotten out of hand and I have 2 or 3 adult bikes I should get to new homes for regular use, and that's after giving one away a few months ago to a friend and still having another one or two niche bikes that I have to practically make up a justification for keeping.

Relevant to MTBR, I have an old ~2005 entry level Rockhopper Alu hardtail with triple chainring that's in great condition, and also an oddball Alu framed Trek hardtail that was converted to singlespeed that part of me wants to try to sell to justify buying one more bike that I will ride more (had traded a road SS/fixed for the Trek and want a 700c fixed again).

And part of me doesn't want to deal with the hassle of selling bikes that I don't imagine are worth more than $200 apiece, which makes me feel more obligated to donate them to someone like SV Bike Exchange.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Facebook Marketplace has been a revelation. Sold a nice Spawn kids mtb and a couple of sweet Micro scooters on there practically the same day whereas they would have languished on NextDoor or CL for who knows how long.

Almost forgot! *high five*

mtbr member
    No bikes...but my GF has been listing all of our old bike parts from the garage on Offerup and Facebook Marketplace. Handlebars, saddles, seatposts...all sold over the span of three days. She even sold a bunch of old tires sitting in a pile for $50. My Aliexpress carbon saddles and handbars all sold. 26in wheels sold too.

She also sold a home gym thats been sitting in the garage for 8 years now...it sold within a day.

fc
    Is that a turtle on the front tire?!?
    Russian tortoise and he approves
    IPA will save America

fc

It’s the new toilet paper.

Since I posted this, the Bay Area market for bikes just heated up!!!

So many reports from friends selling all their old kids bikes in a couple hours.

They are worth way more than what they sold them for so I advice all to tune them perfectly and sell them at what they’re worth today , not what you think they were worth last year.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Bert's Bikes in Buffalo, NY. They said they had 5 stores that kind of looked like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you have cheap bikes in the garage, sell them NOW.-100088690_10207510604681259_7297915945832415232_o.jpg  

IPA will save America

fc
    Another story here from a friend. He priced it at $975. It looks like he could have sold it for quite a bit more.

Does anyone have stories? How did you price your bike?? Sure a quick sale is good BUT... 10 offers in 5 minutes kinda means a lot of money was left on the table.

This thing was old... but not to the new owner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you have cheap bikes in the garage, sell them NOW.-100609099_3269320843098824_2586496448874938368_n.jpg  

IPA will save America

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    The Value of something you are selling used is exactly what the buyer is willing to pay. It is not a "rip off" to price a bike higher than what it might have sold for last year.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    Facebook Marketplace has been a revelation. Sold a nice Spawn kids mtb and a couple of sweet Micro scooters on there practically the same day whereas they would have languished on NextDoor or CL for who knows how long.

Almost forgot! *high five*
    Facebook marketplace hasn’t been as good as pinkbike for me.

Pinkbike has been much easier to sell bike parts and bikes.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

mtbr member
    Last night I posted a set of Avid Elixir brakes for $30 and a set of brand new Codes for $225. I got a dozen message on FB about the cheap brakes, and a couple messages on pinkbike about the codes. None the other way around. Therefore my finding conclude if you are selling budget parts or bikes, Facebook if the way to go. If you are selling high end stuff, pinkbike is the best bet. Got asking price for each before 8am.

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    I purchased an 8 year old 26" MTB last weekend for $850. Normally I wouldn't have paid more than $500 for this but my daughter really needed a bike and this was honestly the best bike for the buck I could find. Drove 4.5 hours round trip to pick it up too. The bike I'm selling has had shit for offers but I haven't braved Craigslist yet, guess that happens today.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    I purchased an 8 year old 26" MTB last weekend for $850. Normally I wouldn't have paid more than $500 for this but my daughter really needed a bike and this was honestly the best bike for the buck I could find. Drove 4.5 hours round trip to pick it up too. The bike I'm selling has had shit for offers but I haven't braved Craigslist yet, guess that happens today.
    Sold a couple old MTBs on FB, and it was low baller central. Problem is that most buyers had no clue, so the concept of paying over $500 was a bit foreign to them. Still got sold though.

Up In Smoke
    I have a few bikes currently for sale and I'm getting no bites. The first day I had two people inquiring and about a week later someone asked if it was still available. I'm not even getting low ball offers and I have them posted fairly reasonably priced with some room to negotiate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I have a few bikes currently for sale and I'm getting no bites. The first day I had two people inquiring and about a week later someone asked if it was still available. I'm not even getting low ball offers and I have them posted fairly reasonably priced with some room to negotiate.
    Where did you list them?

Up In Smoke
    Where did you list them?
    Local craigslist.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Local craigslist.
    I've listed three bikes for sale lately on both Craigslist and the OfferUp app. The responses have been 20:1 in favor of OfferUp. Craigslist is a dying platform. Facebook marketplace is probably even better than OfferUp but I've resisted joining for the last 20 yrs and don't want to change now. My advice is don't bother with Craigslist. Skip right to FB marketplace or OfferUp.

mtbr member
    Local craigslist.
    Facebook marketplace and pinkbike are better options.

Up In Smoke
    Facebook marketplace and pinkbike are better options.
    I checked out offerup, seems like a pain in the butt. I don't do facebook but that seems like the best option. Was hoping for a quick local(831) sale. These bikes didn't seem to take up as much space in the garage when they were in pieces.

mtbr member
    I checked out offerup, seems like a pain in the butt. I don't do facebook but that seems like the best option. Was hoping for a quick local(831) sale. These bikes didn't seem to take up as much space in the garage when they were in pieces.
    You don’t have to “do Facebook” to use their buy/sell marketplace. Just need an email address to create an account. No need to interact with the social media aspect of it.

mtbr member
    Last night I posted a set of Avid Elixir brakes for $30 and a set of brand new Codes for $225. I got a dozen message on FB about the cheap brakes, and a couple messages on pinkbike about the codes. None the other way around. Therefore my finding conclude if you are selling budget parts or bikes, Facebook if the way to go. If you are selling high end stuff, pinkbike is the best bet. Got asking price for each before 8am.
    I'll assume you mean that you payed them $30 to take the Avid brakes?

mtbr member
    This seems to be consistent w/ my experience as well - posted a fairly nice Ripley on PB and FB and asked a bit more than I thought I could actually get - only lowballers and timewasters on FB (FB really needs to get rid of the "Is this still available?" button because I got tons of those) - lots of reasonable offers on PB and finally got full asking price - more than it actually cost me to build the bike

Posted up a really cheap "vintage" Marin as well and no offers on PB but some lowballs on FB

mtbr member
    I'd imagine it's a good time to list up random parts and accessories for sale. Surge in demand for bikes leading to surge in demand for used bikes should also create a unique opportunity to sell used parts to people trying to make their newly-purchased used bike roadworthy. Or finally get around to repairing the bike they've owned and which has been languishing in the garage, for years.

Kind of unrelated to the pandemic, but I just bought a used bike from a Craigslist seller for one of my kids. Shifter is seized up and I found someone replacing the exact shifter on Facebook for sale. Sent him a message and, probably due to the pandemic, he literally went to the post office 15 minutes after I messaged him, to mail the shifter I paid him for via Venmo.

My used part buy is actually more pandemic-related since half the reason I bought it locally/used was because it was probably the quickest way I'd get it. Local pickup and even local shipping is more likely to be faster than buying online. And while some LBS's might have one in stock, they're all busier and it's probably a bigger pain in the ass to call up a bunch of LBS's to check if they have some random part in stock.

Even though the % of people who are able to swap parts on a bike is probably pretty low, but the number of people who are looking to do that might be higher than it ever has been. And there may never be another time when people have more time during the middle of a weekday to make a transaction, or be unable to procure a specific thing online as slowly as it takes to get delivery of things right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    (FB really needs to get rid of the "Is this still available?" button because I got tons of those) -
    This.
    I’ve had people send me that message with nothing else like 5 minutes after I posted it.

Cycologist
    On Craigslist, I always state that "still available?" replies will be ignored.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I finally sold my road bike in FB for basically what I was asking, but holy crap I had to wade through dozens and dozens of ridiculous low ballers. So I agree that FB seems to really only work for cheap stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyOptics View Post
    And part of me doesn't want to deal with the hassle of selling bikes that I don't imagine are worth more than $200 apiece, which makes me feel more obligated to donate them to someone like SV Bike Exchange.
    Last year I got tired of trying to sell my 1980's mountain bike on Craigslist, so I donated it to the Bike Exchange.

Fast forward to last month, I'm looking for a beater bike for myself and see it on their sales square.site for $250 or so, but with some of the nicer components swapped out. A couple of weeks later it's no longer there, so I presume it got sold for the asking price.

It's gratifying to have evidence that my donation truly did benefit them. So, between the five or more bikes I've donated, and the bike I bought from them, I'm sure (and happy) they've grossed over a thousand dollars from me.

fc
    I'm entering phase 2. I'm going into the shed! Lots of tools, bike stands and extinct shit in there.

I tried selling a used bike rack last week on FB... $300... Gone in a day!

So for Facebook, cut and paste this at the top of your ad:

IF YOU SEE THIS AD STILL UP, YES IT IS STILL AVAILABLE 100%.

And when someone lowballs (aka, offers less than half of asking), don't respond or say:

I'll decline for now. I just posted the ad and have a lot of interest at the moment.

Don't accept any low offers until your ad has been up 24 hours and you can gauge the true interest for your item. Also understand, the used bike marketplace is NOT the same as what it was 6+ months ago.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I'm entering phase 2. I'm going into the shed! Lots of tools, bike stands and extinct shit in there.

I tried selling a used bike rack last week on FB... $300... Gone in a day!

So for Facebook, cut and paste this at the top of your ad:

IF YOU SEE THIS AD STILL UP, YES IT IS STILL AVAILABLE 100%.

And when someone lowballs (aka, offers less than half of asking), don't respond or say:

I'll decline for now. I just posted the ad and have a lot of interest at the moment.

Don't accept any low offers until your ad has been up 24 hours and you can gauge the true interest for your item. Also understand, the used bike marketplace is NOT the same as what it was 6+ months ago.
    Also post “No Trades” unless you want people to start offering everything including the kitchen sink.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    And remember, half the population has an IQ below 100.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    On Craigslist, I always state that "still available?" replies will be ignored.
    I have tried to buy stuff many times that "said still available replies would be ignored". And, I was always met with "sorry, this item sold."

So, like I should have asked if it's still available?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Just sold my backup rig for $50 more than I got it for 3 yrs ago. Listed it at 1900 yesterday and got 1750 this morn. Sell ur bikes ppl.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    I have tried to buy stuff many times that "said still available replies would be ignored". And, I was always met with "sorry, this item sold."

So, like I should have asked if it's still available?
    I delete my ads once the item has sold and state that in the ad.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    for me its a tale of 2 stories - on cheaper end its gone very well, over $1,000 its a slow burn. Specifically, sold 2005 Trek 3900 bought for $50 for $120 in couple of hours. Similar for 2010 Marin Nicasio, bought for $120 sold for $300 (I threw in Brooks saddle as person paid the full price).

But then my 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.8 went below blue book for $1,300 and I got ton of lowball offers on FB. Buyer came from Craigslist. Never tried Offerup. Thanksfully I got it before the craziness and did not lose money but that is just pure luck.

So I see 2 markets. Don't know how it is high end at $2,000+.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Jumpin on the band wagon and selling my 11' giant defy w/ 105. Ive got to detail the heck out of it though. Thinking of starting @ $400 ...maybe 500 depending on how it looks when im done..see where it goes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My buddy in NJ is picking up curbside bikes by the truck bed full, making sure they work, and selling them for 2-3x bluebook.
    My LBS is backed up 5 weeks on repairs. Wally World is empty except for the smallest of bikes. It's a different world, for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Maybe I should try and sell my spesh allez again. Last time I tried to sell it I got such lowball offers, for a clean roadbike with 105 components that I decided I'd rather let it sit in the garage in case I wanted to ride it.

Turns out I'm _really_ not a roadie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thank you OP

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've sold two older bikes in the last few days. Plan on maybe cleaning up a few more that I've had hanging from the garage ceiling without using for a few years. Definitely lots of people looking for bikes right now!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Maybe I should try and sell my spesh allez again. Last time I tried to sell it I got such lowball offers, for a clean roadbike with 105 components that I decided I'd rather let it sit in the garage in case I wanted to ride it.

Turns out I'm _really_ not a roadie.
    That is gold right now
    IPA will save America

fc

If you have cheap bikes in the garage, sell them NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    I've sold two older bikes in the last few days. Plan on maybe cleaning up a few more that I've had hanging from the garage ceiling without using for a few years. Definitely lots of people looking for bikes right now!
    Yes the shortage continues and it is happening all over the globe.

The supply will not catch up this year.

Next frontier is shortage on parts like inner tubes.

Roaring Mouse said they’ve had to go on minimal sales staff since they simply have nothing to sell
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    High time to price gouge for the ~50 700x23-25 road tubes I bought for pennies when PricePoint went down!

At the time I was commuting on a road bike, then I built up a custom big tired tubeless singlespeed grinder commuter. Haven't touched a 700c tube in 5 years. Soooo much excess inventory.

Paper or plastic?
    Yes the shortage continues and it is happening all over the globe.

The supply will not catch up this year.

Roaring Mouse said they’ve had to go on minimal sales staff since they simply have nothing to sell
    Seriously? I thought that the Mouse was more of a high end bike shop.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by davee5 View Post
    High time to price gouge for the ~50 700x23-25 road tubes I bought for pennies when PricePoint went down!

At the time I was commuting on a road bike, then I built up a custom big tired tubeless singlespeed grinder commuter. Haven't touched a 700c tube in 5 years. Soooo much excess inventory.
    It is so bad with few of these $10 tubes that we might have to start patching!!!
    IPA will save America

fc
    put my Wreckerning back together after it sat scavenged for parts.

I listed it for a lofty $4600 and a buyer met me with a big bag of cash. He offered $4400 and took the bike straight to Pacifica. Said it worked well!!! Came from an SB66.

Sell all those unused stuff. bikes, stands, racks, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you have cheap bikes in the garage, sell them NOW.-img_1641.jpg  

If you have cheap bikes in the garage, sell them NOW.-img_1593-2-.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    put my Wreckerning back together after it sat scavenged for parts.

I listed it for a lofty $4600 and a buyer met me with a big bag of cash. He offered $4400 and took the bike straight to Pacifica. Said it worked well!!! Came from an SB66.
    Geez, nicely done FC. Wish my Ripmo2 would hurry up and get here so I could sell my Bronson v3.