mtbr member

If you had ONE day in Tahoe, which route?

Cashing in the get-out-of-jail card with the wife next week. Last one I see myself having for a long time, but it's okay cause the season's almost done!

If you had one day next week to ride, which trail would you do?

I'm bringing a friend who has never ridden Tahoe before. Shuttles, or loops okay. Cool with climbing. Shooting for 5-6 hours or so with perhaps 3-4k climbing. Technical climbing and descents a bonus.

Moderator Moderator
    If your friend has never ridden Tahoe I'd ride the Flume Trail.

https://flumetrailtahoe.com/shuttle/

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Uh, no.

North or South Lake? If South I'd say shuttle (OTE) Toads from Grass Lake, then at the end climb up and drop Armstrong Connector-Corral.

If you don't want to shuttle, then climb up the Cold Creek s/t to Monument Pass, take the Rim trail to Star Lake, then drop the connector back to Cold Creek.

Also, you could consider tieing Christmas Valley (and Dardanelles Lake) into a bigger ride. I'm in the minority, but I like it more than Toads for its mix of flow and chunk.

The best options for North Lake should probably involve PM's.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:04 PM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Uh, no.

North or South Lake? If South I'd say shuttle (OTE) Toads from Grass Lake, then at the end climb up and drop Armstrong Connector-Corral.

If you don't want to shuttle, then climb up the Cold Creek s/t to Monument Pass, take the Rim trail to Star Lake, then drop the connector back to Cold Creek.
    OTE shuttle to the base of Stagecoach. TRT past Star Lake to Toad's. Down Toad's and back to OTE. About 30 miles w/ 3900' of climbing.

Moderator Moderator
    Didn't see this first time, " Technical climbing and descents a bonus." None of that on Flume, go for Toads.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Squatch- Welcome aboard! That's a more burly option, for sure. I'm not a big fan of the section between Heavenly and Monument, although it is beautiful. It's a good adventure! You might have to deal with a little snow on the highest points, so keep an eye on the weather.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    South Lake has burlier tech in a few spots, but North Tahoe is more consistent tech, if that makes sense. Stanford Rock loop from Tahoe City fits the vertical and technical criteria (on the descent), though it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 hours. TRT from Brockway to TC with a drop down Missing Link and back up Walternate, using hwy 28 and Carnelian Bay Ave. to make it a loop would be a good option. North Tahoe has plenty of what your looking for, but would require linking several trails together for the most funnest ride, most are on Trailforks but a few are not. Unfortunately I don't know how to share Trailforks ride logs that are hidden from the public.

mtbr member
    I had a blast going down Grass Lake from Toads. Could then cross 89 up Luther Stairs then down Xmas Valley but its hard to pass on Toads from Star down Freel TRT. North lake yes PM someone. Im not gonna touch that.

Tyrolean laps. Ophir Creek is dope.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    Stanford Rock loop from Tahoe City fits the vertical and technical criteria (on the descent), though it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 hours.
    If I remember correctly, the climb into this is a pretty good challenge.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Rose TRT --> Snapdragon --> Red House Flume --> Sunflower Hill --> TRT North --> Tunnel Creek Rd --> Flume --> Marlette Lake --> North Canyon Rd --> Chimney Beach

Chump
    Quote Originally Posted by endurosquatch View Post
    OTE shuttle to the base of Stagecoach. TRT past Star Lake to Toad's. Down Toad's and back to OTE. About 30 miles w/ 3900' of climbing.
    +1 Great route.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This makes the most sense for a single day. It’s a good climb and a couple of fun downhills with easy shuttling a straight forward trail. There’s even a couple of bail out options if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I would also suggest toads. Such a great trail that has everything. I’m sad I didn’t get to ride it this year.

As far as flume trail, I wouldn’t recommend to any “real” mountain biker to go hit that. Especially if they were traveling up there for only one day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Easy, if you have two cars. Point to point thunder mtn, to silver fork, to hayflat. Check trail forks. That will give you around 8,000 ft of DH and 3,500 ft of climbing. Not exactly Tahoe, but close and plenty tech, and a great adventure.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    Easy, if you have two cars. Point to point thunder mtn, to silver fork, to hayflat. Check trail forks. That will give you around 8,000 ft of DH and 3,500 ft of climbing. Not exactly Tahoe, but close and plenty tech, and a great adventure.
    Could add Strawberry Rocks trail.....?

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    This forum is great. I finally made it up to Tahoe for my first and second MTB trips this summer (Carson City Off-Road 50, followed by a week in Truckee) and obviously only scratched the surface. I want moar! Gotta find a way to get up there more often next year.

By the way, I agree on skipping Marlette Flume. All-time gorgeous trail and perfect for the hardtail or less experienced rider, but not a great ride and it's a long ride away from other great techy options.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    This forum is great. I finally made it up to Tahoe for my first and second MTB trips this summer (Carson City Off-Road 50, followed by a week in Truckee) and obviously only scratched the surface. I want moar! Gotta find a way to get up there more often next year.
    Does the Carson 50 take you up Sierra Canyon to the top of Genoa Peak? That zig zag down to Genoa is one of my favorite trails.

I think it depends which way you ride Flume. Up from Spooner is not a fun ride. But PowPig's route above is a pretty good ride. For me, if I were only going to ride Tahoe once one day, or very rarely, it would be a hard choice between the technical aspects of Toads vs the unusual beauty of Flume. Beauty plays a big part in my rides, not just technical aspects. You could do both in a day with two cars pretty easily......

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    What is the likelihood of snow on the trails between Stagecoach and Toads at this time of year?

mtbr member
    This and bail out at armstrong if your tired.

Chump
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBrit View Post
    What is the likelihood of snow on the trails between Stagecoach and Toads at this time of year?
    While it's certainly possible in October, I don't see any evidence of it on Heavenly's dipper cam - https://www.skiheavenly.com/the-moun...tain-cams.aspx

But of course, the Tahoe locals probably know for sure right now.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Goose View Post
    While it's certainly possible in October, I don't see any evidence of it on Heavenly's dipper cam - https://www.skiheavenly.com/the-moun...tain-cams.aspx

But of course, the Tahoe locals probably know for sure right now.
    Open Snow - starting the predictions first week of November ...

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherBrit View Post
    I saw a picture last week (TBC?) with an inch or two of snow at the top of Toads, but the weather looks good for the next week.

mtbr member
    A super fun option that would fit your needs on the North side- shuttle from the top of Martis Peak TRT across the Fiberboard to Watson Lake, make your way up to Painted Rock, down Wallternate/or Missing Link, and finish with Western States. That ride has a bit of everything including tech climbing and descending and some flow. I think its around ~21 or so miles and 3k of climbing, and much more coming down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Rose TRT --> Snapdragon --> Red House Flume --> Sunflower Hill --> TRT North --> Tunnel Creek Rd --> Flume --> Marlette Lake --> North Canyon Rd --> Chimney Beach
    If you're going to do the Flume, this is the way to do it. Or alternately, after doing Marlette Flume, head back north on either TRT or Incline Flume and take Tyrolean down into Incline. Either way, a nice downhill to finish off the ride.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Gonna be quite brisk up there in the mornings... layer up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Another vote for doing the Toad's descent. Has all of what Tahoe riding has to offer, all in one ride. Doesn't matter which way you go up as long as hit this descent! If you don't want to shuttle, park off Oneidas and go up Fountain Place Rd to Armstrong Connector to TRT to Toads and down Toads.

mtbr member
    How fun is the DH between Heavenly and Toads there?

Oh man, so many options!

mtbr member
    The DH from freel pass to armstrong pass is super fun and fast, other than that not too many fun DH sections, but crazy scenic.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Keep in mind, the route from Heavenly to anywhere along the TRT will be at 8000 minimum to nearly 10,000 feet. That can be tough on someone who doesn’t do elevation consistently.

My vote would be against the herd if you feel the elevation might be an issue. Start in Tahoe City, up Ward Canyon towards Stanford Rock to TRT to Tahoe City again. Up TRT towards Brockway and back down the Missing Link/ Western States stuff to your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I second Sean Allan's idea, plus those trails don't see as much use, usually in better shape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Toads if you haven't done. Although the bike back to OTE sucks. If you have enough time I think I would park at the bottom of Toads bike to OTE so at the end of the day your car is right there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Toads if you haven't done. Although the bike back to OTE sucks. If you have enough time I think I would park at the bottom of Toads bike to OTE so at the end of the day your car is right there.
    You can follow the OTE shuttle with your car to the Toad's parking lot, and then get on the shuttle there.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Park at the entrance to Squaw Valley.

Ride up the resort side to the top of Sierra Crest. Continue up the fire road on the right. When you see well-defined singletrack cutting back on your left, take it - that's the Western States trail. Bear left at the one fork and you'll be back at the parking area / soccer field. Cross 89, take the bike path south to Alpine.

Ride up Alpine Meadows Road. Left on snow crest, take the obvious fire road on the left. Go up, past a singletrack turnoff, and take a doubletrack/fireroad to the left just after. If you stay on this, you eventually get to Page Meadows. Left down to Tahoe City via Flintstones (and bear left at pretty much every intersection until you get to the river).

Ride into TC, then take the road up behind the Chevron station, fire station, and golf course (Fairway) then take a left on Bunker. You can take the TRT instead if you want more chunk and less fireroad. Explore your way up to the top of the Wall/TRT intersection. Then take the TRT up to Painted Rock, and down over to OTB. At the bottom of OTB, you can take the Tevis Trail back to Walternate to Western States, or right and (after 1/4 mile) left on Deer Creek (ignore the "no outlet" signs) for a ripping, loose downhill to finish the day.

Better in the shoulder seasons when it isn't hot. Resupply with water at the Chevron station in Tahoe City.

I have a GPX of this ride somewhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    That is a great ride ^^^ and a little more unusual than many others. Also, you can totally stop at the Bridgetender after Flintstones, but you might end up just wanting to take the river trail back to Squaw afterwards

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    With the new connection between OTB and Sawtooth (forget the name but it's the trail that opened this summer) you could make this quite the epic after OTB with a climb up the 900 fire road into Northstar, poach some DH, then head back through Martis Camp to 3 Bridges/2 Beavers & a Bear to Sawtooth and back out. That's a HUGE day though.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Kingsbury. From Spooner lake to Luther pass.

mtbr member
    I saw a picture last week (TBC?) with an inch or two of snow at the top of Toads, but the weather looks good for the next week.
    There are no snow issues right now, the light dusting up high had melted

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Does the Carson 50 take you up Sierra Canyon to the top of Genoa Peak? That zig zag down to Genoa is one of my favorite trails.

I think it depends which way you ride Flume. Up from Spooner is not a fun ride. But PowPig's route above is a pretty good ride. For me, if I were only going to ride Tahoe once one day, or very rarely, it would be a hard choice between the technical aspects of Toads vs the unusual beauty of Flume. Beauty plays a big part in my rides, not just technical aspects. You could do both in a day with two cars pretty easily......
    Carson 50 Epicride route does not take you anywhere near Sierra Canyon. But your take on SC is spot on! 👍😎
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

NedwannaB
    Uh, no.

Also, you could consider tieing Christmas Valley (and Dardanelles Lake) into a bigger ride. I'm in the minority, but I like it more than Toads for its mix of flow and chunk.

The best options for North Lake should probably involve PM's.
    Please tell me you’re not proposing riding “up” Monument (although it appears you are?...)to get to the TRT and onto Star Lake? 🤪😜😳

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Carson 50 Epicride route does not take you anywhere near Sierra Canyon. But your take on SC is spot on! 👍😎
    The Carson Valley Trail Association is doing some good work last I checked.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Please tell me you’re not proposing riding “up” Monument (although it appears you are?...)to get to the TRT and onto Star Lake? 浪
    Yessir! The climb up Cold Creek isn't that bad--and you get to check out all the challenging parts that you'll ride down later. The climb from High Meadow to Monument is fairly standard with some sandy sections, then you get a fast flowy ride to Star Lake, the connector down to High Meadow is pretty fun, then you get the big finish down Cold Creek. I'll take that any day over shuttling to Kingsbury. Is there a more underrated trail around Tahoe than Cold Creek?! The waterfall section alone is worth the price of admission.

NedwannaB
    Yessir! The climb up Cold Creek isn't that bad--and you get to check out all the challenging parts that you'll ride down later. The climb from High Meadow to Monument is fairly standard with some sandy sections, then you get a fast flowy ride to Star Lake, the connector down to High Meadow is pretty fun, then you get the big finish down Cold Creek. I'll take that any day over shuttling to Kingsbury. Is there a more underrated trail around Tahoe than Cold Creek?! The waterfall section alone is worth the price of admission.
    I followed yah. Yes CC and Star connector up/down great. Only ridden down Monument on my R-Toads bailout. Not thrilled with the upper sandy sections but then again it was start of the descending and 45+ miles into my ride. I did like the overall layout of the trail. Will get back up there to try your route.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    FlatPedals did Thunder Mtn 1.5 months ago, and said the Motorcycles kinda blew it out? But that sounds like a killer route.

Trail Gnome
    ^^^ I rode those trails on August 17th & 18th...trails were dry but, not blown out. I like these kind of trails...they’re the opposite of over groomed flow trails.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I’m going to have to come back to this thread. It is a testament to the high quality riding in the area. It would take a month to try all these routes.

Natty Dread
    If you have 10 hours to ride, do Mt Rose to Star Lake to Cold Creek ;-) What was blown out for me around the Thunder Mtn area was Horse Canyon Trail descent which the motos use. That was in late Sept 2018. A cool double loop to do with two cars or an uber XL ride is park at Big Meadows TRT climb up to Toads drop Toads and back to Myers. Get your ride back up to Big Meadows and ride the TRT to Christmas Valley then climb back up to your car via the pavement. That's like a 25 Mile 3200ft deal even with the shuttle and you get two classic South Lake Tech loops in one day. Obviously you could ride it all but I think it's a 4 or so mile road burn with close to 1000FT of climbing. Busy road. Not big shoulders in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Pedals View Post
    If you have 10 hours to ride, do Mt Rose to Star Lake to Cold Creek ;-) What was blown out for me around the Thunder Mtn area was Horse Canyon Trail descent which the motos use. That was in late Sept 2018. A cool double loop to do with two cars or an uber XL ride is park at Big Meadows TRT climb up to Toads drop Toads and back to Myers. Get your ride back up to Big Meadows and ride the TRT to Christmas Valley then climb back up to your car via the pavement. That's like a 25 Mile 3200ft deal even with the shuttle and you get two classic South Lake Tech loops in one day. Obviously you could ride it all but I think it's a 4 or so mile road burn with close to 1000FT of climbing. Busy road. Not big shoulders in my opinion.
    Second option sounds super fun. IMO Mt. Rose to Star Lake to Cold Creek is not worth the effort. During the R2T ride this year I didn't find the section from marlette lake to monument pass to be all that fun. There is a fire road descent then a lot of climbing. Scenic though! Loved the section from Monument Pass to Toads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    10 hours is basically dawn to dusk this time of year.

mtbr member
    My trip got pushed back to next week. There are so many good option this is impossible!

Considering Tahoe City vs. Toads/Xmas Valley double

mtbr member
    I would pick toads/xmas personally.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    TC = more tech + more flexibility, not quite as straight forward as a Toads loop, but Trailforks makes it fairly easy to put stuff together. Use easier trails and fire roads to climb and descend on the tougher trails. Descents aren't quite as long, but you can get several into you ride, and you can put together as big a ride as you want. Don't think you'd be disappointed no matter which you end up doing, though the east shore suggestions would be a waste of time with shuttles when there's better riding to be done without shuttling. Aside from maybe Ophir Creek (which is plenty techy, though only a bit over an hour of riding) not really worth shuttling anything in Tahoe unless you like long point to points with low fun/effort ratio.

mtbr member
    If South I'd say shuttle (OTE) Toads from Grass Lake, then at the end climb up and drop Armstrong Connector-Corral.
    +1

You can also shuttle Armstrong-Corral if you have a few buddies. Love those rocks.