if you had an afternoon in SF and wanted to ride....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

if you had an afternoon in SF and wanted to ride....

hey people of Norcal- will be heading out to SF for work next week for the full week (from New England)...if by chance i can escape for a bit, and rent a bike, what would be immediate options to ride somewhat close by over either bridge? (Oakland hills?)

thanks a lot.

Feral Roadie
    Outside of a few exceptions, all the SF Bay area is intermediate. What single track there is, is buff and distinctly lacking in chunk.

There are recent threads that cover all the issues, try searching NorCal for "skeggs" or Passion Trail bikes.

sftrydr
    Pacifica.....No bridges necessary
    Pacifica to North Peak - Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides

mtbr member
    I think you could be riding a bike sooner by going to Marin than the Oakland Hills. There are mtn biking options south of SF too. Some limited mtn biking in GG Park in SF too.

Mtn Biking in Marin starts just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. The Marin Headlands or on Mt Tamilpias (aka Mt Tam) are great rides. China Camp too.

Your best bet is to make a friend in Marin with 2 mtn bikes. Take the ferry to Larkspur. (45 min). Drive to Mill Valley. Ride around Mt Tam, go back to Marin Brewing Co. Buy your friend dinner or beer. Get back on the Ferry to SF. (Last ferry is around 7ish.)

Plan A. Take the bus to Marin. Civic Center stop is a 1/2 walk to Bike and Beans rental. Then a ride to China Camp for some single track riding.

Plan B - Berkeley. You can take BART (subway) to Berkeley. Not sure who rents bikes, but someone local can probably find you a bike rental and trails in the Berkeley hills.

We are a car oriented society, so not having a car to get to the bike shop, then to the riding area will limit your options or riding time. Bribing local riders with beer is an acceptable tradition.

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...ea-793685.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...ls-773275.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks for the replies/ideas you guys....i could possibly rent a car one of the days. I'm probably not even going to end up finding the time, but one can dream i guess...i just did a 12 hour relay race saturday - nothing that major, but i'm feeling in the best riding shape in a long time. Just want to maintain it! work always gets in the freaking way.

Paper or plastic?
    Could he rent a bike in SF, ride across the bridge and go into the GGNRA? May not be a great MTB ride, but it definitely would be scenic.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Could he rent a bike in SF, ride across the bridge and go into the GGNRA? May not be a great MTB ride, but it definitely would be scenic.
    Another good idea.

I would caution not to leave a bike unattended in SF. Locked or unlocked, if it is a decent bike, it could be stolen. Speaking as someone who had a bicycle stolen out my car on Sunday afternoon and had my truck broken into when parked in SF overnight. SF is the city of brotherly love and bicycle theft.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Yea at absolute minimum rent a bike at one of the tourist destinations (e.g. Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39) and ride along the Embarcadero, through Chrissy Field/Presidio and to/over the GGB. Super scenic and it will not take long.

It's not mtn biking, but it's nice. Won't take long either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    Yea at absolute minimum rent a bike at one of the tourist destinations (e.g. Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39) and ride along the Embarcadero, through Chrissy Field/Presidio and to/over the GGB. Super scenic and it will not take long.

It's not mtn biking, but it's nice. Won't take long either.
    /\ This. Super easy, very scenic, and you can get a good workout. I know at least one of the bike rental companies (can't remember which though) has entry level road bikes. Would be better than the typical hybrids. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ssulljm View Post
    Interesting to note the second comment to the ride linked above which would indicate that crack is an illegal trail (ok, I know the comment is two years old but it is left unanswered). What Montara Mountain needs desperately is an official map marking all the legal trails, if for no other reason than to quiet the group that wants to insist they are illegal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Great thread also working in SF next week - bringing my 29'er on the slim chance i can get away. Checking in Sat - checking out Thurs...shoot me a pm if ya wanna hook up and explore.

mtbr member
    Even though it is not exactly Northstar, doing the Marin Headlands is a can't miss ride for a Bay Area visitor.

I think it will be safe to say you will be stunned by the views.

I would start in Presidio (or anywhere in SF), ride across the Golden Gate, head up Conzelman Rd then down Coastal Trail, then depending on your endurance level, you could do Miwok/Old Springs/Marincello/Bobcat back down to Miwok then back up Coastal.

That will be about 20 miles and your eyes and camera will be thanking you.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Last edited by fred-da-trog; 09-25-2012 at 04:52 AM.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Members who have read this thread: 0