If I had $6M to blow, I'd buy the Sierra Buttes!- Mtbr.com
    mtb'er

If I had $6M to blow, I'd buy the Sierra Buttes!

http://www.ranchlinenetwork.com/listing/2539

Located near Sierra City, CA, approx. 200 miles from the Bay Area, and 75 miles from Reno, NV, this spectacular, deeded mountainous property includes two private, pristine alpine lakes, Young American Lake and Volcano Lake, and also includes lake frontage on the Upper and Lower Sardine Lakes. The property is mostly surrounded by Forest Service Land and is accessed by Forest Service roads. Enjoy great fishing, hiking, camping, and canoeing on your own Sierra compound. Exciting potential awaits for this exceptional property. This amazing, rare opportunity to own 877 acres of “The Sierra Buttes” can be yours.
    Estimated Acres:

877 +/- acres
    Location/Directions:

Sierra County about 8 miles from the town of Sierra City, CA and approximately 122 miles from Sacramento, CA or 75 miles from Reno, Nevada. It is only 45 miles from Truckee, CA.
    Property Coordinates: 39.565733N, 120.633827W

Property Highlights:

This 877.4 acre property is located in Sierra County about 8 miles from the town of Sierra City, CA and approximately 122 miles from Sacramento, CA or 75 miles from Reno, Nevada. It is only 45 miles from Truckee, CA.

The 200 acre parcel has frontage on Upper and Lower Sardine Lake and surrounds most of Volcano Lake. There is a 4x4 forest service road that leads you to Volcano Lake. The lake sits at 6300 ft elevation and is surrounded by pine trees and spectacular views of the Sierra Buttes.

The largest parcel of 580 acres has most of the Sierra Buttes. It starts at 6200 ft elevation and rises to over 8300 ft elevation. It is one of the most impressive mountain faces that you will encounter. The 42 acre and 55 acre pieces are pretty timber ground.

Young American Lake is located in the middle of the parcel and sits at 7200 ft elevation.

This beautiful property has been in the same family for over 66 years. Junius Harris bought the property from the Southern Pacific Railroad Company back in the 1940's. The railroad has owned the property since the 1800's and were looking at Yuba Pass as a route through the mountains. The railroad picked Donner Pass and Yuba Pass became expendable.

The property is right in the middle of the Tahoe National Forest. It is a recreational wonderland. You can go hiking, mountain climbing, swimming, boating, hunting, gold mining, and of course great fly fishing.

All four lakes are known for their Brook and Brown trout. It has been said that ”the water is so clear at noon that you can see the bottom of the lake. It is like fishing in an aquarium.”

For the hunter, the property is in the D3 zone and they do have deer and bear. The D3 zone had over 1097 deer harvested with a buck to doe ratio of 32:100 and with an estimated population of 19,650.

The property is located in the Scenic Corridor district and the county is currently updating their general plan. Due to this zoning and the ruggedness of the terrain, a large scale development would be a very difficult challenge. Building a family retreat has the best possibilities and any serious buyer should contact the Sierra County Planning district in Downieville and ask to speak with the Planner at 530-289-3251.
    ...but it looks like it's sale pending

aka baycat
    Volcano and Young America are beautiful lakes right at the base of the Buttes. Been hiking there for years. I knew a family trying to buy the property for some time but the sellers weren't budging.

hilarious
    Land conservancies... where are you?

mtbr member
    Hey if everyone on mtbr put in, we'd be able to buy it. Put in a bunch of seasonal tent cabins, and we could have weekly gatherings. Someone figure it out...
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

banned
    Sale pending, could it be the Mexican weed growers, prop 215 and all....?

That would really be a bummer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I remember reading about this some months ago. Yes, having a land conservancy buy it makes sense, but I suppose it'd be a lot of work to tend that much land, even for a large organization.

Just emailed the link to a woman in our mtb group. She recently went to a meeting regarding a large West SoCo land purchase by a private investment group.

I asked if she had their ear, could she pass the link along. They are all about immediate public access and seemed to be mtb friendly last I heard. Probably a long shot, but you never know unless you try. Will post back what I hear.

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005

riiiight...

Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    Sale pending, could it be the Mexican weed growers, prop 215 and all....?

That would really be a bummer.
    figure out a way to grow weed in east facing rock that spends half the year covered in 20 feet of snow, and you'll be a rich enough man to buy anything you want...

that is a massive chunk of coin for some beautiful land that is almost completely unusable.
    hold my beer...

mtbr member
    Damn. And I only have $5m
    :wq

mtbr member
    I bet if you tunneled into the core of the Buttes you's find a mega nugget of gold that would pay for the purchase 1000 fold, 6 Mill is a bargain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nice spot for a golf course....

mtb'er
    Bah. It doesn't include the lookout tower. Fugghettaboutit.

http://www.californiaoutdoorproperti...&listingid=409
    (see map for approximate location(s))

mtbr member
    http://sierracountylandtrust.com/news.shtml

The Sierra County Land Trust has been actively buying land here. Recreation? Wilderness designation support? Questions questions...

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Damn. And I only have $5m
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    Hey if everyone on mtbr put in, we'd be able to buy it. Put in a bunch of seasonal tent cabins, and we could have weekly gatherings. Someone figure it out...
    Problem solved!
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski
    http://sierracountylandtrust.com/news.shtml

The Sierra County Land Trust has been actively buying land here. Recreation? Wilderness designation support? Questions questions...
    "The Sierra County Land Trust began operations with a huge boost!
    Partnering with the High Sierra Rural Alliance, we were recently awarded a $5.6 million grant to purchase up to 1,000 acres in the Sierra Buttes/ Lakes Basin for water quality, habitat, and open space protection."
    May 27, 2010 at 11:40am

Sounds very much to me like they're the prospective owners, though I don't see an announcement anywhere.

As pending sales sometimes fall through, I sent the following letter to The Wildlands Conservancy...

http://www.wildlandsconservancy.org/contact.html

Dear Wildlands Conservancy,

I recently learned of your organization and its programs while volunteering at Willow Creek State Park when I found out about your recent acquisition of the Jenner Headlands.

I'm not sure how you choose properties to purchase, but there is one that is up for sale in an amazing area of the Sierras, known as the Sierra Buttes. It's something of a sacred area for those of us who know and love the land there, and given your committment to public access and educational programs for urban school children, I ask that you consider preserving this property.

This property presents a unique opportunity for The Wildlands Conservancy to introduce birding to urban children. Did you know that most of the bird songs recorded on Peterson's Field Guide to Western Bird Songs were recorded in this area? What better place than this can you find for children to learn this art, than the Sierra Buttes? To hear how birding inspired some inner city children in Washington DC, check out this article...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...010803904.html

As a nurse who volunteers at a summer camp for children affected by HIV/AIDS, I have seen first hand urban children arrive, weary and often hopeless, only to leave after a week outside in the sun covered hills vibrant and committed to their future and learning new skills only empowers them further.

I have assisted with astronomy classes held every July below the Buttes now for several years and helped young people learn how to navigate the night sky with star charts and telescopes.

I've hiked out to the lakes around the Buttes and this year will be joining my mountain bike group on some epic rides that will begin here.

The Sierra Buttes are sacred to me and I am only one of easily hundreds.

Please let us know what we need to do to have you help us.

http://www.ranchlinenetwork.com/listing/2539

Sincerely,

tg
    Last edited by Tank Girl; 04-12-2011 at 10:45 PM.

mtbr member
    You're awesome, Tank Girl. I'd love to take my class of 5th graders there on a field trip. Bring the bikes!
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Thanks, GuruAtma. It's a longshot, but you never know.

I would have loved to put mountain biking center stage, but I'm too new on the scene to know the resources to call on for help. Since I had to come up with a compelling solution in which everyone wins and in which needs that haven't been met yet for the Wildlands Conservancy would be addressed, I chose birding.

A brief review of their site indicated they were building an inventory of Northern Cal properties, none of which were located in the mountains yet. The potential for children's birding classes set the Buttes apart from any other site in the mountains they might be considering and I happen to know Tom Rusert who I can bring on board should the Conservancy take interest in my idea. He's a part of the International Bird Rescue Research Center and he's the one who started children's birding programs, such as the Children's Christmas Bird Count from The Washington Post article and Binocular Bootcamps, which are now conducted around the world.

In the meantime, I hope to meet some people from the organization that gets urban kids out on mountain bikes. Would love to pitch that as part of the Buttes plan...would be too cool to have a kid's mountain bike camp there, complete with stellar trails. I know it's all a longshot, but if you're gonna dream you may as well go big.

Like a boss.
    I am just so stoked to know I'm not the only person 'round these parts that enjoys MTBing and birding.

Seriously, whenever I admit to being a birder I feel a little bit like admitting to admiration for Nickelback, or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

This Sierra Buttes property now owned by Sierra County Land Trust

Hello all-

We could not respond to all of these fun comments when they were being posted because we were the "sale pending" and in escrow. Well, the Sierra County Land Trust just closed escrow this week on this 835 acres of the Sierra Buttes/Lakes Basin in Sierra County. We are indebted to The Trust for Public Land who partnered with us and did much of the hard work on this for the past 5 years. Thanks also to the the voters of California who passed Proposition 50 in 2002 which funded this spectacular purchase via the California Resources Agency.

It is now owned by our non profit land trust to be used in perpetuity for public open space... and mountain bikers.

Laurie Oberholtzer
    Executive Director
    Sierra County Land Trust

Join us at:
    [email protected]
    www.sierracountylandtrust.org

mtbr member
    Awesome!
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie oberholtzer
    Hello all-

We could not respond to all of these fun comments when they were being posted because we were the "sale pending" and in escrow. Well, the Sierra County Land Trust just closed escrow this week on this 835 acres of the Sierra Buttes/Lakes Basin in Sierra County. We are indebted to The Trust for Public Land who partnered with us and did much of the hard work on this for the past 5 years. Thanks also to the the voters of California who passed Proposition 50 in 2002 which funded this spectacular purchase via the California Resources Agency.

It is now owned by our non profit land trust to be used in perpetuity for public open space... and mountain bikers.

Laurie Oberholtzer
    Executive Director
    Sierra County Land Trust

Join us at:
    [email protected]
    Laurie-
    Thanks for the work you do and thanks for coming here to let us know!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    rad.....soooooooo freakin' RAD!
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    "The Sierra County Land Trust began operations with a huge boost!
    Partnering with the High Sierra Rural Alliance, we were recently awarded a $5.6 million grant to purchase up to 1,000 acres in the Sierra Buttes/ Lakes Basin for water quality, habitat, and open space protection."
    May 27, 2010 at 11:40am

Sounds very much to me like they're the prospective owners, though I don't see an announcement anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie oberholtzer
    We could not respond to all of these fun comments when they were being posted because we were the "sale pending" and in escrow. Well, the Sierra County Land Trust just closed escrow this week on this 835 acres of the Sierra Buttes/Lakes Basin in Sierra County.

Join us at:
    [email protected]
    Oh! Yea! Who's the smartest guy on here? Me? Maybe.

Thanks for the news and your great work Laurie!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    wow, that's awesome! Great work Laurie!

screamer
    Great news! Way to go SCLT...

aka baycat
    Awesome news, thanks a bunch!

Like a boss.
    Kick @ss!!!! Big props for managing to do this acquisition in a really acquisition-unfriendly fiscal environment. You and TPL are to be commended!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Anyone else's first thoughts upon reading that news include the possibility that laurie is just a great prankster?
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

More Torque
    Very much appreciated; thank you.

-D

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So when can we get out there to build some trails?

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha426 View Post
    Seriously, whenever I admit to being a birder I feel a little bit like admitting to admiration for Nickelback, or something.
    Birders are here, there, everywhere. My wife has been recruiting me for the past 5 years. I'm still super novice, but I know enough now to get more out of my countryside rides.

"I believe that music can inspire violence in people. For instance, when I hear Nickelback, it makes me want to kill Nickelback."
    -Brian Posehn

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have ridden around the Buttes (approx. 43 mile loop) about 5 times on various charity rides and they are beautiful! Once in late fall, I hiked to the top for some photos...absolutely stellar views. Double check the Land Conservatory's policies..read once that their board was really thumbs down on mt. bike trails..hope I'm wrong.
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

Members who have read this thread: 0