I need a Doctor- Mtbr.com

Thread: I need a Doctor

~~~~~~~

I need a Doctor

need some shoulder help- who do i see? I'm on the peninsula, so i would like to keep it kinda local. so far i have recommendations for Dr. Warren King, though reviews are mixed here, and Dr. Leo Semkiw. my back story is below should you care.

I have a long standing shoulder injury (rotator cuff) that I have put off getting surgery since my last days of college football. This week, i'm giving up. i'm just sick of it. i started doing jiu jitsu last month. its my 3rd attempt in five years because every time my shoulder makes me bow out. the shoulder had flared back up. i couldn't sleep at all last night and today its so sore i can't comb my hair without wincing.

literally, for the last 5 years i've had to avoid all upper body type stuff where my arm comes up past 90 degrees- which basically means, pull-ups, paddling a surf board, rock climbing, throwing a ball, etc. lifting is out of the question too. so is crashing my bike. now though, its so painful, that getting out of the saddle this morning almost made me cry. i'm just hoping it doesn't cost me too much. i just can't take it anymore. please help.
    Last edited by Dirt_Diggler; 11-11-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: make title more clear

RDI
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If you're on the peninsula - Dillingham is the man - 49's team physician. His office did a friends' achilles and my friends ACL - I would think he does shoulder's too.

It's always greener
    I would certainly recommend Dr. Frank Chen in Sports Medicine at Palo Alto Medical. He's a very straight forward guy, and helped me with my clavicle reduction.

mtbr member
    Warren King was great I thought. He seems to perhaps come off as being a little rough around the edges when it comes to bedside manner but he is top notch when it comes to fixing you!

sure...follow me
    Apr 2007
    I feel for you. Go ahead and get it fixed.I KNOW you said... peninsula, and ...keep it local, but I have to recommend Brad Zwalen in Berkeley, right across from Alta Bates for anybody else with shoulder problems that reads this thread.I fell off the bike in mid-November 06. After going through two different doctors and five f***ing months of intense physical therapy with no results (in fact my shoulder was getting Worse), I had major reconstructive shoulder surgery with Dr. Zwalen late in April. It really worked. Pain free, almost, and my range of motion is better than my other shoulder. The guy is the greatest!

Totally, and to the max.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    need some shoulder help- who do i see? I'm on the peninsula, so i would like to keep it kinda local. so far i have recommendations for Dr. Warren King, though reviews are mixed here, and Dr. Leo Semkiw. my back story is below should you care.

I have a long standing shoulder injury (rotator cuff) that I have put off getting surgery since my last days of college football. This week, i'm giving up. i'm just sick of it. i started doing jiu jitsu last month. its my 3rd attempt in five years because every time my shoulder makes me bow out. the shoulder had flared back up. i couldn't sleep at all last night and today its so sore i can't comb my hair without wincing.

literally, for the last 5 years i've had to avoid all upper body type stuff where my arm comes up past 90 degrees- which basically means, pull-ups, paddling a surf board, rock climbing, throwing a ball, etc. lifting is out of the question too. so is crashing my bike. now though, its so painful, that getting out of the saddle this morning almost made me cry. i'm just hoping it doesn't cost me too much. i just can't take it anymore. please help.

Ty, I don't have any orthopedic recommendations, but man, that is sad reading right there! Having had many broken bones in the past, I know the pain you are most likely feeling. It's like a dark cloud over your head, constantly. Get in and get fixed up. Now is the best time, too in the off season, and cross racing sucks anyway.

Update this thread once you've have your first consultation and make sure you scan your x-rays. It'll be raining soon, and we need the entertainment.

Fireball in the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by omanwurmi
    and my range of motion is better than my other shoulder. The guy is the greatest!
    Hmmm. After surgery, you have greater range of motion?
    Sounds a little like a mechanic I know of...
    Were there any parts left over when he sewed you back together?
    everyone drives a Used Car

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    The SOAR group..in Palo Alto i think? I haven't been but have heard great things about them.....

Shoulder is a bummer. It's arguably the toughest "joint" to fix/heal/rehab since it's really not a joint. I suffered a pretty hard boarding accident and as a result have tendonitis (impingement)...not too bad but then the next season, I dislocated the shoulder. Not to mention that I broke the same arm twice so it's just been through so much rehab. My ortho told me that I probably tore a ligament for sure but I got back my range of motion through PT. However, the shoulder is not the same although I seem to be luckier than most people who have suffered dislocations (as in, it's only happened once).

My coworker had surgery done on his shoulder due to multiple dislocations and he just went back last year to "fix" it again. I believe he went to SOAR (the 2nd time) but I can't be 100% sure.

Good luck.....

EDIT: I just re-read your post. Have you had any PT on the shoulder since the OG injury? When I suffered my shoulder injuries, my ortho and therapists told me that basically, when the shoulder "flares" up, as you rotate your shoulder around, the cuff gets irritated due to something rubbing against it. Sorry, by no means do I know the exact specifics. I was given some anti-inflammatories to "calm" the inflammations down, and went to PT. The PT seemed to help a lot as a lot of what stabilizes the shoulder and allows your cuff to rotate around correctly is controlled by your shoulder blade/back...which to me, I would never have guessed. You say that the pain is really bad once you rotate it past 90 degrees. Is the pain on the "top" of your shoulder? Or just everywhere? Beyond 90 degrees, to get the arm to go 180 degrees, the shoulder actually needs the shoulder blade to "slide" back and down to allow the cuff to rotate around. A lot of the therapy that you'll go through is to help the shoulder blade to slide down to allow the cuff to roll around. If not, what happens is the cuff stays "up" causing more rubbing/inflammations. Shoulder surgeries are really tough so it's avoided as long as it doesn't impair your activities or continue to cause pain (in my case). But yours seems very serious and surgery is probably the only choice.My point is that you probably wouldn't know this unless you sought ought medical advice before. I'm not a Dr. of course but I've been through shoulder rehab twice so if any of this is going to help, I thought I should mention it. No matter what, you should have the surgery IMO.
    Last edited by ddraewwg; 11-12-2008 at 07:25 AM.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Yeah, I used to be with SOAR, Dillingham and Warren King. All OK, King was with SOAR for awhile (and then Palo Alto Medical Clinic) and that's how I got hooked up with him. It's been a long time, and I have nothing specific against the guy, but I did think he played up the 49er/Raider/Sharks connection a little too much, and wasn't exactly up to my expectations. He had a big worker's comp practice at the time which is not exactly high-end in my opinion (mostly fat sendentary people with back and knee problems). He's probably grown beyond that crowd since that was a few years back, and he was very helpful to me when I popped an artery, but haven't been back to him in about 15 years.

If you're in the area, I recommend Terrence J. Delaney in Los Gatos. He's at 408-364-2303. He's a stand-up guy, no BS, no pretense. He works on us "mere mortals" and sports nut/weekend warriors unlike the team docs around here, and he's a mountain biker/surfer, etc.. so has some sympathy for us folks who need our fix even if we have an injury. He really ingratiated me to him a last year when I went in there for a torqued finger that I got on a crash and he was limping around. Turns out that he biffed his Nomad on Dog Meat that weekend and was nursing some injuries as a result of that.

mtbr member
    Hey Dirt_Diggler, Cannonhead mentioned Dr. Frank Chen. He is actually treating my shoulder now and will have surgery in December. You'll find him at Palo Alto Medical Foundation and in my opinion a really good MD.

~~~~~~~
    thanks for all the help guys.

ddraewwg- PT- you bet. i've done about every silly exercise in the book and taken more ibuprofen and anti-inflammatory drugs than my liver would like. right now the pain is mostly in the front and top, but the most persistent occurring pain (and the most intense) typically occurs at the back of the shoulder. i mean, this shoulder had been through hell- numerous dislocations of various degrees, a broken scapula, 10 years of wrestling and high school and college football, now jiu jitsu training, plus lots of crashes on the snowboard, skis and bike. also, i have always lead with this shoulder- tackling, crashing, mosh pits its time to make it better while i have some time and i'm healthy enough to bounce back quickly.

i've got an appointment with Dr King tomorrow morning. I'll update afterwards. I'd like to be under the knife before christmas so i can maximize my excuses to sit around and be lazy during the holidays.

sure...follow me
    Apr 2007
    The reconstructive surgery i had for a separated shoulder was to realign my clavicle and my scapula. My scapula had dropped and was hella pinching the network of nerves that run across my back and down the inside of my elbow. shooting pain just under the inner edge of my scapula. After surgery, back is 95%, as good as it ever was. Elbow is about 70% but, hey, you cant have everything. I'm very glad i had the surgery. Well worth it.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    ddraewwg- PT- you bet. i've done about every silly exercise in the book and taken more ibuprofen and anti-inflammatory drugs than my liver would like. right now the pain is mostly in the front and top, but the most persistent occurring pain (and the most intense) typically occurs at the back of the shoulder. i mean, this shoulder had been through hell- numerous dislocations of various degrees, a broken scapula, 10 years of wrestling and high school and college football, now jiu jitsu training, plus lots of crashes on the snowboard, skis and bike. also, i have always lead with this shoulder- tackling, crashing, mosh pits its time to make it better while i have some time and i'm healthy enough to bounce back quickly. .

Healing vibes....healing vibes.....healing vibes.

Good luck with everything. I can only imagine how messed up your shoulder is.

wretch
    Eppely. . . Berkely Ortho

fc
    head minion Administrator
    thanks for all the help guys.

ddraewwg- PT- you bet. i've done about every silly exercise in the book and taken more ibuprofen and anti-inflammatory drugs than my liver would like. right now the pain is mostly in the front and top, but the most persistent occurring pain (and the most intense) typically occurs at the back of the shoulder. i mean, this shoulder had been through hell- numerous dislocations of various degrees, a broken scapula, 10 years of wrestling and high school and college football, now jiu jitsu training, plus lots of crashes on the snowboard, skis and bike. also, i have always lead with this shoulder- tackling, crashing, mosh pits its time to make it better while i have some time and i'm healthy enough to bounce back quickly.

i've got an appointment with Dr King tomorrow morning. I'll update afterwards. I'd like to be under the knife before christmas so i can maximize my excuses to sit around and be lazy during the holidays.
    Does that mean a 4-hour huckin ride with Pimp-Al this weekend is out of the question?

fc

~~~~~~~
    not exactly. at this point its more about how much pain i am willing to deal with and its not THAT bad. i just saw the doctor this morning and sure enough, lots of soft tissue damage, but no skeletal issues. MRI tomorrow morning, then i'm meeting with him next week to schedule the surgery and discuss recovery and physical therapy.

i'm gonna race CX saturday evening at Sierra Point, though it hurts to pick the bike up. no plans for sunday yet.

mtbr member
    Sadly, you'll still probably be faster than me Saturday.

~~~~~~~
    maybe. the real question, will i be faster than me a year ago? probably not. you on the other hand seem to have gotten faster, not slower.

mtbr member

I'd second Dillingham

He has been around for years...doing the 49ers and more. He's local too.
    Heal well and fast Ty.

Kathleen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Does that mean a 4-hour huckin ride with Pimp-Al this weekend is out of the question?

fc
    I'm could still be in for a 4hr huck. Shoulder is broken anyway and will have surgery so what difference will it make Bring it on.....I think

Nov 2008
    No BS? You haven't met my in laws. Hey, man, doing the Turkey Ride this year?

Members who have read this thread: 0