I am off the bike for a few months- Mtbr.com
    Resident Curmudgeon

I am off the bike for a few months

was out on putah creek when the bank gave way and my foot got caught on a root as I fell and twisted last Saturday, had surgery yesterday

I am off the bike for a few months-tib-fib.jpgI am off the bike for a few months-55557281_2609025665781094_2695443697406836736_n.jpgI am off the bike for a few months-55514066_2609026175781043_6586981189125406720_o.jpg
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That sucks, I'm sorry. BTDT with my wrist.

Don't neglect your PT and don't rush back. Good luck.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Ouch! I had similar procedure last year. Instead of long screw pulling tibia and fibia back together my doctor used a "tightrope". He drilled totally through both bones and pulled them together with a line and buttons on each side. Here's your recovery list: elevation with extensive sitting activies, ice, compression sock and knee scooter. Wishing you a quick and total recovery.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

loopy counter
    I can't see a break in the tibia, is there some functional purpose for the bolt in that bone?
    (Just curious, get well soon.)

More Torque
    Bummer...heal up!

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    I can't see a break in the tibia, is there some functional purpose for the bolt in that bone?
    (Just curious, get well soon.)
    there are two protrusions on the bottom of the tibia that hold it in place on the joint, they both broke. The long screw that goes from the plate to through the fibula into the tibia is because I tore the ligament that holds the two bones together
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My personal experience and that of friends is to supplement a higher than normal calorie diet(fuel for healing) with foods that have the components for bone regen. Almonds, pineapple(fresh) and yogurt. Several times a day. And keep eating that for 2+ months. Worked for my friends broken leg/ankle skiing with a titanium rod insert. For me with a broken lower arm bone. Last month and ongoing for my friend's girl friend's broken wrist from an ice fall and surgery. Saw her healed wrist with good movement range on Tuesday.
    Do it now. You speed up recovery by 2+ weeks or more. Costco has a good price on almonds and plain yogurt. Get the cored pineapple at any grocery. Use the rubber bands for the recommended workouts.
    Zero smoking/alcohol. One chance to reconnect the bones or long-term cane.

After you show up ahead of the normal healing schedule the doctors will start you early on PT. It's critical to commit to that 100%.

NedwannaB
    Bummer dude, biking or hiking? At least you'll heal up for summer outings. 😁😎
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Flat Pluto Society
    Look like there's a screw loose.

Heal up- you'll be back in the saddle just in time for Tahoe!
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtb'er
    Dang. Best wishes on your recovery, down time and return. Hang in there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Whoa! Those Xrays bring back memories for me. Had an almost identical break 10 yrs ago. Best advice I can give is to be diligent about your physical therapy once the boot/cast comes off. Do all the exercises they tell you to do at home! Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I am off the bike for a few months-xray4.jpg  

mtbr member
    I am off the bike for a few months-img_0804.jpg

I did something similar on January 5. First I got to have this awesome external fixation hardware and twelve days later an internal fix. When I initially looked at my badly dislocated ankle I wasn't convinced I would ever walk again. Today I am walking in a boot and I rode my bike for a few miles on a dirt road with the boot. Hang in there, don't get fat and work hard.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by donutnational View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0804.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	1244137

I did something similar on January 5. First I got to have this awesome external fixation hardware and twelve days later an internal fix. When I initially looked at my badly dislocated ankle I wasn't convinced I would ever walk again. Today I am walking in a boot and I rode my bike for a few miles on a dirt road with the boot. Hang in there, don't get fat and work hard.
    Not intended to derail Buzz Cuts thread, but is that the new GoPro mount on your appendage bracing?😁

mtbr member
    I knew right away when I saw that screw in both bones that there was ligament damage. I've been there, so I know. Lucky for you, you got to have surgery right away. I had to wait a month because of massive swelling. The broken bones wont be too bad to heal, but that ligament is going to take some time. The only reason I gained full mobility/use from mine was from rigorous PT. Don't skip it, it's super important. The first year after the injury I had minor to moderate pain most days after physical activity, but I'm 100% back to normal with no pain ever now. I'm back to riding and playing indoor soccer. Hang in there and occupy yourself. Don't let your mind wander and get rid of those opiates! I put myself in a very bad mental state which almost cost me my life.

I am off the bike for a few months-spiral.jpg
    I am off the bike for a few months-plate.jpg

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    OUCH

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rest up, heal up! Keep the morale going with other interests.

mtbr member
    Sucks to break a bone, sorry that happened to you.

I have some words of encouragement. This was me on Thanksgiving 2018:

I am off the bike for a few months-20181122-hip-femur-ap.0001.jpg

I am off the bike for a few months-20181122-elbow-ap.0003.jpg

Broken femur, broken elbow. Skateboarding. Two ambulance rides, four days in the hospital, surgery, titanium rod in my leg and stainless steel in my elbow.

I got back on my bike for a painful and gentle ride on New Year's Day.

Been continuing to ride and do my physical therapy and heal.

And just now I got back from my best ride of the year, hands down. Still have to take it easy because the elbow can't handle rough trails yet, but it's close.

So it's been four months and I feel strong and am getting back to everything I love to do with renewed gratitude and enthusiasm.

So hang in there. Do your PT, recover well. Don't overdo it, but don't underdo it either. Keep you spirits up. You'll be back at it in no time and will have a gnarly story to tell to boot.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Wow, that is awful! On a bike or just walking?

How many months?
    IPA will save America

Resident Curmudgeon
    Here is what happened. I was on Putah Creek Fly fishing with a group of friends .The creek was running really high and fast and there were limited access points to fish. I had tried 3-4 spots and had no bites. I was walking up stream on the bluff above the creek when I spotted a likely place to fish. so I made my way down a tiny trail to creek level. I was probably a 50-75 foot descent then made my way to the water. It looked solid but as I got near the bank gave way and took me with it. I think my leg got caught on a root as I twisted and fell back first into the water and mud. I got lucky that it was shallow slack water. I knew instantly that the Fibula was broken. I grabbed some brush and pulled myself up and onto the bank. When I was able to stand and put weight on the leg I figured that the Tibia was mostly intact. One of the guys in the group I was with from the Tri Valley Fly Fishing Club saw the fall and came over to check on me. I used his wading staff to work my way back up to the truck. Once there I got a cardboard splint out from behind the back seat and my first aid kit out and got my waders and boots off. I could feel the fibula break and with that we splinted the ankle and I got in the truck and drove myself 18 miles to Kaiser Vacaville. The pain was intense but bearable. The ER docks re-aligned the bones and put on a temporary cast and gave me a nice shot of morphine. Friends drove me home. Surgery was tuesday at Kaiser Antioch. 6 weeks no weight bearing then we go from there

Moderator Moderator
    Sorry to hear that, injuries are never fun. But X-Ray T-shirts are a nice trophy and recovery party present.

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    Since we are sharing, 5 years and about 12 days ago I did this as a result of a bike wreck where I slid into a rocky rut, went down and my foot got stuck in the pedal under the bike with my weight coming down on top of the other side of the bike.
    I am off the bike for a few months-hardware.jpg
    Healed well and only really bothers me after I drag my old bones out to play soccer.
    P.S. I share Chris's advice on the opiates, quitting those was probably the hardest parts of my recovery.

Resident Curmudgeon
    well 3 day post surgery and all I have needed for pain is 800 mg Motrin, no opiates. Buprevacane nerve block comes out tomorrow so then we will see how it goes.

Ariolimax columbianus
    ur a flippin badass...thanks for sharin ur story. hope you heal well. hard to read, but just pretty rad w/all ur trainin u could come out of somthin dat crazy and pretty much handle urself. any fish pics?!!!

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    ur a flippin badass...thanks for sharin ur story. hope you heal well. hard to read, but just pretty rad w/all ur trainin u could come out of somthin dat crazy and pretty much handle urself. any fish pics?!!!
    Can anyone translate?

mtbr member
    As much as the PT is part of it, a surgery room is like a medieval torture chamber. Saws, drills...at the end of the day, how your body will heal will depend on how well that surgeon put you back together.

I had a compound tib/fib spring 2017. 8 months to confirm the bolting was too far apart for the bones to reconnect. Surgery to remove some bolts so things could move around. After that the knee clicked. After that 'clean up' surgery I to this day get these odd shooting pains in my knee. Fun note: the break happened near my ankle. The knee was probably collateral damage since it was the insertion point of the titanium nail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    well 3 day post surgery and all I have needed for pain is 800 mg Motrin, no opiates. Buprevacane nerve block comes out tomorrow so then we will see how it goes.
    Asprin and acetomycin(Tylenol) inhibit the development of the goo that creates the bridge to rejoin the two broken bone segments. Gotta avoid those.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hope you're doing good. My friend with the broken wrist just came from her meeting with the surgeon. He was impressed with how fast she's recovering and wanted her secret. So almonds pineapple and yogurt may be out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    Since we are sharing, 5 years and about 12 days ago I did this as a result of a bike wreck where I slid into a rocky rut, went down and my foot got stuck in the pedal under the bike with my weight coming down on top of the other side of the bike.

Name:	hardware.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	1244292
    Healed well and only really bothers me after I drag my old bones out to play soccer.
    P.S. I share Chris's advice on the opiates, quitting those was probably the hardest parts of my recovery.
    I got an X-ray almost identical to yours, except I also have a bone graft and a full-on thru-tibia stainless bar. Broke my leg into more than 15 pieces, so the surgeon could not get it perfectly right. This was on Mother's Day in '98.
    I walk a bit funny, but otherwise I'm good.

I second yer advice on those opiates: back in '98, the dominant philosophy in medicine was based on the evidence that a patient out of pain recovers faster than a patient in pain, which is true, but the method o medication they use to get you out of pain is very risky.

Take full advantage of PT options, and a GOOD acupuncturist can do worlds of good for you while recovering.

fc
    How you doing?

Looks like it will be raining and snowed-in for the 'next few months'.
    IPA will save America

Resident Curmudgeon
    doing just fine thank you FC. still no need for pain meds. I got myself a knee scooter, so much better than crutches for mobility. First post op follow up with the doc is tomorrow. hopefully they pull the 25 staples and give me a boot vs a fiberglass cast.

Flat Pluto Society
    doing just fine thank you FC. still no need for pain meds. I got myself a knee scooter, so much better than crutches for mobility. First post op follow up with the doc is tomorrow. hopefully they pull the 25 staples and give me a boot vs a fiberglass cast.
    Glad you don't need the meds. Don't forget to post pics of the staples being yanked. If you're still conscious, that is.

Resident Curmudgeon
    2 week post surgical follow up. They took the temporary plaster splint off, took the staples out, and put a fiberglass cast on (in Warrior's Blue) for the next 4 weeks.

I am off the bike for a few months-56997651_2631379123545748_7271409555165151232_o.jpg

I am off the bike for a few months-56970876_2631379326879061_4542646734131560448_o.jpg

I am off the bike for a few months-56890272_2631540613529599_6425468329779003392_n.jpg

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    I am off the bike for a few months-10157130_10203324194127608_2072777613_n.jpg
    Nice work, I had a similar thought when I had mine Started a lot of conversations on opening day at AT&T park that year.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Update. The cast has been off for 8 days. I can walk on level ground. Lateral flexing hurts like hell Flexibility Fore and aft I am back to 80% 50% side to side. I have walked 35 miles in 8 days. some days its easy other days I am dying at 3 miles. Still having swelling issues but lots of icing is managing it. I am also doing heat with infra red pads to promote tissue growth and blood flow (I do this about and hour after I finish with the ice) Next week I will start riding easy around the hood staying on pavement

after a day at work
    I am off the bike for a few months-60337312_2691674570849536_3118595613554376704_n.jpg

Ice
    I am off the bike for a few months-60174270_2691675010849492_335766661866979328_n.jpg

heat
    I am off the bike for a few months-60525246_2691676034182723_1355078326670065664_n.jpg

end result
    I am off the bike for a few months-60011974_2691675804182746_3763614910169219072_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Cocoa butter that ashy leg !!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Those IR pads are pretty cool.
    You'll get better pretty fast from here on out. Just don't fall down or anything!

fc
    Wowweeee. That doesn’t look good. Take it easy
    IPA will save America

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Wowweeee. That doesn’t look good. Take it easy
    ^^^ 2nd that. Hope that swelling goes down soon; your Docs think that's "normal"???

They're OK with 3 mile hikes?

I'm a bit worried for you, my pop's leg looked just like yours a month after a very minor moto injury (basically was a bad bruise on the shin); cellulitis had set in.

Took a long time to cure; ended his moto riding. (But he was in his early 80's and needed to stay well to look after mom)
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    fwiw, my foot looked like that for at least a month after the surgery. Find out if your Ortho thinks you should be bearing so much weight on it, and see if there's someplace with a warm, preferably indoor, swimming pool. And see if it's PT time. they can keep a pretty good eye on it for you. To me, your foot looks like mine did 6 weeks out of surgery. I was 44 at the time.
    I was non-weight bearing for 4 months, and during that time I perfected my swimming strokes. Even got a pair of those tiny "Zoomers" fins that swimmers train with after a month or so in the pool.

NedwannaB
    2 week post surgical follow up. They took the temporary plaster splint off, took the staples out, and put a fiberglass cast on (in Warrior's Blue) for the next 4 weeks.

Name:	56997651_2631379123545748_7271409555165151232_o.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	1246215

Name:	56970876_2631379326879061_4542646734131560448_o.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	1246216

Name:	56890272_2631540613529599_6425468329779003392_n.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	1246217
    Fly fishing, the "safer sport"! :@ Dang those staple zippers look serious! Good to see that you're moving and on the mend.

jms
    mtbr member
    That's NOT pretty!

Spin on a trainer for 1/2 an hour, then ice bath for as long as you can tolerate it?

Hope you're rolling sometime soon.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Flat Pluto Society
    3 mile hikes??

Good lord, that's a good distance for an in shape person. Sounds a bit much to me.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yep. I've been recovering from ankle surgery in December. I've slowly been ramping it up on and off the bike. On the bike is easier though for just about everything, but I had to start out slow with the other leg doing all the pedaling, eventually getting both involved, eventually able to take some impacts, but now that I'm back on FS bikes in the summer, that is helping to mitigate that. I can spend all day walking around finally and I don't get the pain like I used to before the surgery, but only now have I done any running in about a year, which was one mile, which made me pretty sore (for comparison, I did a 50 mile XC race a few weeks ago and a bunch of vacation riding). I've done a couple short hikes in the last 3 or so weeks, about a mile each time.

Take it easy Eric and give it time. One of the best "early" rides during recovery for me was a brewery ride
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I had a bimalleolar fx on Jan 5 and and surgery Jan 17th. I think that some swelling is to be expected (or so the PT told me) and I still get some by the end of the day if I do a lot . I was in a boot until 5 weeks ago. I started riding in the boot as soon as I was cleared to bear weight. I have done 100 or miles and 10,000+' a week of climbing on mostly easy dirt for the last 4 weeks. That being said I think the walking especially uphill and on uneven surfaces has been the most helpful and much less pleasant than riding a bike. Since your foot swells after a day of working maybe you should quit your job! Good luck and keep elevating and icing when you can.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Hell of a good weekend. I walked 10 miles on Friday, 12 miles on Saturday pain free with minimal swelling. Today I put the road bike on the fluid trainer and got on for the first time since breaking my leg. 30 minutes of spinning with full range of motion, no pain and no swelling

jms
    mtbr member
    Hell of a good weekend. I walked 10 miles on Friday, 12 miles on Saturday pain free with minimal swelling. Today I put the road bike on the fluid trainer and got on for the first time since breaking my leg. 30 minutes of spinning with full range of motion, no pain and no swelling
    Hellya. And you didn't let the crappy weather deny you either. Way to go Buzz.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Flat Pluto Society
    Sahweet!

Glad you're recovering well.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Damn, I have rebuilt-cartilage and no shattered bones and I'm not even close to doing that much hiking/walking. Just ran my 2nd mile in a year yesterday. I can do a lot more distance than right before surgery, but running and hiking are relatively high impact so it's my final barrier to gradually build up to/increase. Riding was way way earlier.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Damn, I have rebuilt-cartilage and no shattered bones and I'm not even close to doing that much hiking/walking. Just ran my 2nd mile in a year yesterday. I can do a lot more distance than right before surgery, but running and hiking are relatively high impact so it's my final barrier to gradually build up to/increase. Riding was way way earlier.
    Running, walking and hiking is for prey ; )

Good luck in your ongoing recovery too!
    My Favorite Peeps: