hwy9 reopened- Mtbr.com

Thread: hwy9 reopened

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

hwy9 reopened

The most dangerous trail is once again open - hwy9 from felton to santa cruz. That's the scariest part of any ride out there...

mtbr member
    Crap. I was really enjoying being able to ride 9 back without having to worry about traffic. Guess it's back to the railroad tracks.
    Ibis Mojo HD3 - Santa Cruz 5010 V2

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, I forgot how bad it was when the road is open. Hwy 9 was busy and people were driving like idiots. But the good news is that, uh, um...I got nothin'.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 09-27-2015 at 10:35 AM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I hear ya - it would be nice to see it permanently closed. Lots of Felton and Boulder Creek locals were doing family walks and pedals on it, plus people camping at the RV park. Graham Hill is a viable alternative for cars...and much better for trucks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I lived in Boulder Creek for a time and hwy 9 has the worst drivers and most road rage of any place I've ever seen hands down. Some seriously screwed up people drive that road. I felt safer in east San Jose at midnight.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtJunky View Post
    I hear ya - it would be nice to see it permanently closed. Lots of Felton and Boulder Creek locals were doing family walks and pedals on it, plus people camping at the RV park. Graham Hill is a viable alternative for cars...and much better for trucks.
    Yeah, I was thinking that same thing. Either that, or I wonder what it would take to get Roaring Camp to give up that rail line and let it be a multi-use rail trail? They will still have the narrow guage, although Thomas can't go on the narrow guage. It's such a steep canyon between Felton and Rincon. No easy solution.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

rho
    Life is strange
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking that same thing. Either that, or I wonder what it would take to get Roaring Camp to give up that rail line and let it be a multi-use rail trail? They will still have the narrow guage, although Thomas can't go on the narrow guage. It's such a steep canyon between Felton and Rincon. No easy solution.
    Don't they still run a train down to the boardwalk in the summer? But I agree, some sort of sanctioned path or trail there would be amazing.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    Don't they still run a train down to the boardwalk in the summer? But I agree, some sort of sanctioned path or trail there would be amazing.
    Yeah, they do. And also Thomas the train goes a little ways that way then turns around. It's not really gonna happen anytime soon, to repurpose the tracks. But man, it would be nice.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Finally! I use Hwy 9 a lot, driving between SC and Felton. The Graham Hill traffic is a mess I don't need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    Finally! I use Hwy 9 a lot, driving between SC and Felton. The Graham Hill traffic is a mess I don't need.
    I agree, yeah for no more graham hill traffic!

And that stupid train down to Santa Cruz runs all the time it seems. Weekdays, weekends, anytime I am riding the tracks to work in the morning. No love is given from the train folk.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtJunky View Post
    The most dangerous trail is once again open - hwy9 from felton to santa cruz. That's the scariest part of any ride out there...
    I won't ride my bike on it, and I hate driving on it. Too bad, because without cars, it is the perfect paved path.

mtbr member
    Sure there is. Make Graham Hill one way, down, and Hwy 9 one way, up. Make the other lane of each road a bike lane, and put a cement barrier in the middle to keep the fossil burners out.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    Sure there is. Make Graham Hill one way, down, and Hwy 9 one way, up. Make the other lane of each road a bike lane, and put a cement barrier in the middle to keep the fossil burners out.
    I like the way you think!
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider View Post
    I agree, yeah for no more graham hill traffic!

And that stupid train down to Santa Cruz runs all the time it seems. Weekdays, weekends, anytime I am riding the tracks to work in the morning. No love is given from the train folk.....
    The train runs much less frequently now that summer is over.

I like mtn biking, too
    There is still that one train that rolls into Roaring Camp from SC at like, 8 a.m. on weekdays - full of international tourists. It's surreal.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There is still that one train that rolls into Roaring Camp from SC at like, 8 a.m. on weekdays - full of international tourists. It's surreal.
    I'm curious to see what happens with the tweaker RV and bike thief camping that was endemic up there. Living in SC, the usual suspects were using the blockade to camp up that way and SCSO did jackshit about it.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    I'm curious to see what happens with the tweaker RV and bike thief camping that was endemic up there. Living in SC, the usual suspects were using the blockade to camp up that way and SCSO did jackshit about it.
    Yeah, there definitely were people camped out in cars/rv's along 9 during the closure. I did witness uniformed officers dealing with one of those once. But as expected that stuff seems to be thinning out. I do notice people still hiking with packs into the woods at dusk, as always.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    That beige minivan that advertises quality name-brand used mountain bikes has been hanging out up there. Does that freak anyone else out?

I want to see if they have a black XL Nomad 3 like the one that was stolen from my buddy's bike rack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah, there definitely were people camped out in cars/rv's along 9 during the closure. I did witness uniformed officers dealing with one of those once. But as expected that stuff seems to be thinning out. I do notice people still hiking with packs into the woods at dusk, as always.
    They were there - and they still are, unfortunately. I've been surprised at seeing tents in the woods lately, both right off uconn and the fireroad up-top.

With hwy9 closed, the pace-sensitive traffic was gone (e.g. commuters and other folks enjoying the awesome twisty road), with most cars from people actually intending to visit the woods (plus the blind folks, that couldn't quite read the signs...).