Hwy 17 road rage- Mtbr.com
    aka dan51

Upset Hwy 17 road rage

I didn't see any road rage, but I bet there was some.It took us 1 hour an 45 minutes to get from Scotts Valley to Los Gatos this afternoon. We could have taken the bikes off the roof and ridden faster than that.

The huge delay threw all our evening plans off. All we could do was go get a fat hamburger and fries.

Anyone else sit through that today?

-Dan

mtbr member
    Bummer,

Apparently it was caused by the driver for St. Ignacious Crew (rowing). As he was leaving the kids rowing event today at Lexington Reservoir, he apparently flipped the trailer. Our kids were right behind him when it happened. A lot of our kids and others helped recover some of the damaged boats

Poor guy, there were at least 4 boats worth at least $25,000 each that were destroyed. By the way, St Ignacious is a nationally ranked team.

So if you think your day sucked, think about the poor driver. Oh yeah, they did great at today's meet. We did a big fat OK too.

jps

Quote Originally Posted by dan51

I didn't see any road rage, but I bet there was some.It took us 1 hour an 45 minutes to get from Scotts Valley to Los Gatos this afternoon. We could have taken the bikes off the roof and ridden faster than that.

The huge delay threw all our evening plans off. All we could do was go get a fat hamburger and fries.

-Dan

fc
    head minion Administrator

-Dan
    I was at the beach with the kids most of the afternoon. I actually heard about the incident on the radio and I was able to take highway 9... all the way home. Long windy drive and it was a-ok.

fc

Slowest Rider

Another Accident Probably

Yea, that happened to me once last summer, coming back from Demo one Sunday afternoon. There's a lot of traffic accidents on that steep twisty road that people take too fast. [Edit: Saw imjps post after mine. Sorry about the boats. That was a freak accident.]

Also, I was running out of gas, and had to go something horrible as I drank too much at the car before leaving. I asked around and even pulled out the GPS, but discovered there were NO gas stations on Summit Rd or even nearby, because nobody would ever need gas there.

I found out by listening to the radio (KLIV 1590 AM ) that a motorcyclist had failed to make one of the Hwy 17 curves just below Lexington and decapitated himself. Yet they couldn't take the body parts off the road until the coroner pronounced. And the one coroner on duty on the weekend was over on Hicks Rd. pronouncing a road bicyclist who also didn't negotiate a curve just above Guadalupe Dam, going over the rail. Thus a big backup as one lane was closed and the remaining cars had to weave among the carnage. It must have been a Learn the Law of Centrifugal Force weekend for two wheel vehicles.

I finally discovered via my GPS the Old Santa Cruz Hwy (I think??) that went parallel to Hwy 17. It got me down by coasting with almost no use of gas, and I even found a secluded spot for relief. I got back onto Hwy 17 at Lexington Lake but only had to go a little ways of stop and go past the partial road closure.

Sorry your transit was so bad. Stuck in traffic drives me nuts more than anything.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 05-08-2006 at 06:04 PM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

-Dan
    I got stuck in that mess. I lost 2 hours of my life in that BS Kind of ruined an otherwise nice ride at Demo. Probably the worst traffic jam I've been in, and I've been stuck in some bad ones. What made it worse was that I was only 20min from my house! Guy in front of my was flipping out, he pounded his dash so hard I could hear it!

Had I known the crash was all the way down at the resevior, I would have turned around and gone to SC and taken 9 over or something. Iplan to fire up mapquest and learn the side roads better. I'll be dammed if I let that happen to me again...UGhhh

-Jason (who wants 2 hours of his weekend back)

Groveland Trail Heads

That must have been terrible

-Dan
    next time you and Shiloh can come hang out at my place until the traffic goes away. I will even cook you a big, big, big burger on the grill I will even tolerate American Idol for you both... is it on during the weekends?

Had a great ride with you both and Bruce today, thanks
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Bummer. I grew up off Summit, right by Demo, and kinda look forward to the big accidents, they provide a great reason to go practice high speed cornering in the rain on Hwy9, Old Santa Cruz Hwy, Bear Creek, or any more of a ton of fun roads.

Getting to high school in the morning was a 45 minute commute down 17, rather than the usual 17 minute jaunt. 17 is so much fun on the street bike, but too many people die out there. We need to get teleportation figured out pronto.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I was at the beach with the kids most of the afternoon. I actually heard about the incident on the radio and I was able to take highway 9... all the way home. Long windy drive and it was a-ok.

fc
    What radio station? We tuned into 1590 the moment we were stopped. When traffic came on it just said there was a problem on 17. It didn't say where or in what direction. Had we known where, we would have headed over to 9 and back home. That station seems totally useless for traffic, despite having traffic reports every 8 minutes.

We did attempt to get to 9 via Glenwood Cutoff, after sitting in traffic for 45 minutes. Well we must have made a wrong turn, because we eventually ended up back on 17, in the exact same pack of cars we left!!!!! What a short cut, we gained absolutely nothing. However the detour was a pretty nice nerve calming drive. It's kind of funny though, we were joking about how funny it would be if that happened.

-Dan

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlur
    Guy in front of my was flipping out, he pounded his dash so hard I could hear it!

-Jason (who wants 2 hours of his weekend back)
    Probably a Sharks fan on the way to the game......
    Spend several hundred $$$ for tickets, then listen to the game on the radio in a traffic jam.

That has to be the worst one I have ever seen. It was bumper to bumper the entire length of 17. We finally hit about 20MPH when we passed HWY 9 in Los Gatos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That was a great ride!!!!

I'm sorry that the ride home sucked so much for you two I feel bad for the driver with the trailer, but it sounds like it was his own fault. That one mistake cost thousands of lost hours.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    What radio station? We tuned into 1590 the moment we were stopped. When traffic came on it just said there was a problem on 17. It didn't say where or in what direction. Had we known where, we would have headed over to 9 and back home. That station seems totally useless for traffic, despite having traffic reports every 8 minutes.

We did attempt to get to 9 via Glenwood Cutoff, after sitting in traffic for 45 minutes. Well we must have made a wrong turn, because we eventually ended up back on 17, in the exact same pack of cars we left!!!!! What a short cut, we gained absolutely nothing. However the detour was a pretty nice nerve calming drive. It's kind of funny though, we were joking about how funny it would be if that happened.

-Dan
    I was on 740 kcbs. It's one of the few times a traffic report ever helped me. I was on highway 1, approaching 17 and quickly turned on the radio. I was pretty wary of the highway since one lane was closed in both directions at about 11am with a highway median repair! I think that delayed me 30 minutes and that was bad enough!! I swerved onto the the highway 9 left turn and all was well.

Glenwood Cutoff is a literally a cutoff like an ear on highway 17. That must have been such a bummer!

fc

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Glenwood cutoff goes to Glenwood road. At that point, if you turn right, you go back to 17, just below the summit on the Santa Cruz side. If you turn left, you head back towards Scotts Valley. You'll pass Mtn Charlie Rd along the way

Slowest Rider
    I listen to 1590 AM every morning for traffic and news into and from work. I also listen on weekends for this sort of thing. They use combination of traffic reports from people with cell phones and CHP. They're generally very accurate on exact location and direction. I only notice the timing can be delayed sometimes, with them still reporting something after it's cleared. I tend to see about a 15 minute or more time lag.

So I'm surprised at the lack of accurate information on 1590 in your case. They must not have had any good reports from listeners that day. And they didn't update the report later either?

I'll have to program in 740 KCBS too, and compare.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

new and improved

I was in it too

Rode at UC, and got stuck in traffic over the 17 both ways. On the way out, Caltrans was repairing the bumper on a median. On the way back, it was the afore mentioned jam. It was the first traffic I have been in since moving back to the bay area that was comparable to a Los Angeles commute.

Trails were in prime shape though. If I hadn't been grinning ear to ear I would have been pissed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I didn't see any road rage, but I bet there was some.It took us 1 hour an 45 minutes to get from Scotts Valley to Los Gatos this afternoon.

-Dan
    Hey, at least you got your ride in. Anyway, that's not a backup on 17; that's just a minor inconvenience. I got caught in a jam one time where the trip from Scotts Valley to Los Gatos took 4 hours. Some guy jack-knifed and tipped over a big rig in that first right hand sweeper just north of the Summit. It was like a cork in a bottle. CHP had to stop the southbound traffic at Los Gatos so they could send one of the monstrous wreckers up and pull the thing loose and back upright.

Weird huh?

cyclists only, don't tell your friends

17 can be a nightmare on the weekends. BEACH TRAFFIC. The following is not a shortcut, but during times of heavy traffic on 17, it'll save you time. Directions work from either way.

Los Gatos to Soquel vs vrsa

17 just past Lexington to Bear Creek turnoff. Take the roundabout' and connect with Old Santa Cruz highway. This runs alongside 17. Follow it up to Summit road. Turn left, and go down 5 miles to Soquel San Jose Rd. Turn right and follow it into Soquel.

This area is also heavily travelled on weekdays (commutes) and weekends, but is almost always faster than 17 with beach traffic.

Cheers

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

tastes like chicken
    I live in Santa Cruz and commute to Sunnyvale 3-4 days a week. I try to avoid 17 on the weekends and Friday night (amateur night). Weekday 17 commuters know how to drive the hill but the amateurs will weave too much and flip their vehicles. I've lost count of all the solo rollovers I've seen over the years.

Anyway, the most valuable site I have found as a commuter is http://www.sigalert.com. I have it customized for the my commute routes, it will email me at my work and home address when accidents occur and I use the mobile version when I want to check the traffic on my Palm TX (provided I can find free WiFi). Sigalert is worth the $15 a year if you commute.

Other good commute strategies: carry an iPod loaded with lots of music and podcasts for those 2 hour waits. Luckily, those have been rare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

The extent of their coverage: Traffic really bad on 17 in both directions due to road construction and accidents.

The one piece of information we wanted: Location. Just tell us where the jam starts so we can evaluate whether to turn around and find a different way home.

It was pretty funny that we drove Glenwood cut-off for ten minutes and then ended up between the same cars we left.

'Twas a good ride though.
    Can we talk tires now?

Members who have read this thread: 0