How Was South Yuba- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448

    How Was South Yuba

    South Yuba Was


    We started at Omega Rd/ Alpha Road right off of Highway 20 and the top was covered with


    But we did a little hiking and a little riding and worked our way into the clear.


    (Alpha diggin's)


    South Yuba...


    Well this is just the teaser, 23 miles of incredible singletrack, 5 miles of hiking snow and riding down steep fire road, probably 40 waterfalls some of which we rode through, some of which we rode over on very cool bridges. I'm sorting through my pics and editing the video right now. I'll probably post some more pics tomorrow and get the video up later this week. Gary has some pics I'm sure he will be posting shortly. I am so envious of memine and those who are local to this awesome trail.

    To be continued...

  2. #2
    Caca pasa
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    16,869

    Uh, yeah.

    Splendid ride. Thanks for the shuttle action!

    I'm surprised you didn't mention Jilm's mechanical- a busted derailleur hanger. Luckily, someone had the foresight to bring a spare... This is where Steve took off & left us to fend for ourselves. Selfish bunt.

    You also didn't mention our trailwork. Glad I carried the saw for 5 hours(?) so we could use it for 15 minutes.

    Fantabulous ride, great area. We'll be back.

    fp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

  3. #3
    Caca pasa
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    16,869

    I loved this.

    Note the top sign- no scooters?

    Yeah- this is the first place I think of when I want to ride my Vespa.

    fp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

  4. #4
    Allways ride safe!!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    294

    Me ride long time!

    What a great ride! Thanx for the suggestion and shuttle Ogre. Thanx Finch for the spare deraileur hanger ( my hero ...sigh ).
    Stand back! I don't know how big this thing gets!

    Radio Commercial

  5. #5
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448

    Ungh

    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Splendid ride. Thanks for the shuttle action!

    I'm surprised you didn't mention Jilm's mechanical- a busted derailleur hanger. Luckily, someone had the foresight to bring a spare... This is where Steve took off & left us to fend for ourselves. Selfish bunt.

    You also didn't mention our trailwork. Glad I carried the saw for 5 hours(?) so we could use it for 15 minutes.

    Fantabulous ride, great area. We'll be back.

    fp
    I'm wiped out. Last night I just had enough energy to throw a few pics up and crash. For the first time in weeks I'm driving in to work. I was getting to all the other stuff. Like I said to be continued. I'll put some more pics up tonight.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,358

    You guys are Hardcore!

    You treked miles through the snow?

    I was driving up I-80 to Tahoe on Friday night... I was seeing snow at around 4000 feet. I thought to myself "Damn, there's no way those guys are making it down Alpha Road."


    Glad to hear you made it OK otherwise! The South Yuba is one of my favorite trails, glad to see others enjoying it. Love to see/read all of the history that you see along that trail. I'm going to have to hit it in a couple of weeks.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

  7. #7
    Caca pasa
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    16,869
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    I'm wiped out. Last night I just had enough energy to throw a few pics up and crash. For the first time in weeks I'm driving in to work. I was getting to all the other stuff. Like I said to be continued. I'll put some more pics up tonight.
    Yeah, I can tell you were wiped just by the way your feet were resting on the dash of the 0gre mobile after the ride.

    Poor baby.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

  8. #8
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448

    Miles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brah
    You treked miles through the snow?

    I was driving up I-80 to Tahoe on Friday night... I was seeing snow at around 4000 feet. I thought to myself "Damn, there's no way those guys are making it down Alpha Road."


    Glad to hear you made it OK otherwise! The South Yuba is one of my favorite trails, glad to see others enjoying it. Love to see/read all of the history that you see along that trail. I'm going to have to hit it in a couple of weeks.
    I'm not so sure I would say we treked through miles of snow. Maybe a mile of 12-18" drifts, hike a bit then roll a bit, repeat. Overall I would say it was better than rolling down Washington Road (Not easier but more interesting).

    South Yuba is a great trail. I guess some folks ride the whole trail as an out-and-back... hats off to them. Just riding it in the 'easy' direction plus that section of Alpha Road whoopped my butt.

  9. #9
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,905
    Looks like a great ride! I was able to get down to the Edwards-Purdon section a little later in the day and saw Fiona on my way out. Glad I did not try to join you guys, as I did my first outing on the SS this season on Saturday and I was feeling pretty weak on Sunday. It was about all I could do to stay ahead of my friend who was a beginner. Y'all would have had to throw me in the river and fish me out down at Purdon's Crossing.

    Next time.

    Jeff

  10. #10
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448

    Char said she saw ya

    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Looks like a great ride! I was able to get down to the Edwards-Purdon section a little later in the day and saw Fiona on my way out. Glad I did not try to join you guys, as I did my first outing on the SS this season on Saturday and I was feeling pretty weak on Sunday. It was about all I could do to stay ahead of my friend who was a beginner. Y'all would have had to throw me in the river and fish me out down at Purdon's Crossing.
    Next time indeed. You missed a great ride.

    working on the video still. Here's a vid cap from the Edwards-Purdon Crossing section:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Caca pasa
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    16,869
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Next time indeed. You missed a great ride.

    working on the video still. Here's a vid cap from the Edwards-Purdon Crossing section:
    Man, that's a sweet hiney.

    Gill
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

  12. #12
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448

    You see a hiney I see an a$$

    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Man, that's a sweet hiney.
    You see a hiney I see an a$$
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Reputation: vuduvgn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Thank you very much for bringing your saw and doing some work up there. We need more like you.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

  14. #14
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448

    Well

    Quote Originally Posted by voodoovegan
    Thank you very much for bringing your saw and doing some work up there. We need more like you.
    It was FP's saw but we all took a turn at it. Unfortunately that was a big log and while we cleared it enough where it's a lot easier to get around I don't know that a lot of people are going to roll it. We did clear several trees off of the Rim trail last time we rode there. I'm not sure what the point of walking around something you can easily fix is. Take a minute, clean it up and then you don't have to deal with it next time. Even better it gives the guys who regularly maintain a trail the time to do more stuff to improve the trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.