How to end the ride at Santa Cruz boardwalk?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

How to end the ride at Santa Cruz boardwalk?

Everytime I go to Santa Cruz broadwalk, I see these happy riders on deck out bikes riding toward the boardwalk. They are usually on the cliffside road going toward the hotel and the boardwalk direction. As far as I recall, there shouldn't be any trails near there. You-see-es-see is more toward the mountain, the wilder will bring you more toward hwy 1 instead of the coast. Where did these riders come from? I want to ride where they rode after seeing the happy grind on their faces.

How do I end the ride at boardwalk?

mtbr member
    It's called living in Santa Cruz and riding to and from your house to the trails. Ending your ride while viewing the talent parade on West Cliff is awesome.

singletrack bound
    wilder/hwy 1 bike path/r. on Schaffer Rd/r. towards W. Cliff/ W. cliff all the way to the Boardwalk!

there you go!

and yes Carl, that is exactly why we take that route, to smell the ocean and stuff!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I love the finish ride down West Clif and thru the Boardwalk. I just hammer rightdown the middle of the trestle on the tracls, people trip when I do this! Not only we get to check the surf but wow there are some nice looking female joggers

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    For locals, there's a system of bike paths, parks, bridges, cutting through apartment complexes, through the harbor, etc. that can get you from Aptos to UCSC and back, no prob.

Best town to grow up in. Can't wait to get out of San Jose and go back.

NedwannaB

Alt:

Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    Everytime I go to Santa Cruz broadwalk, I see these happy riders on deck out bikes riding toward the boardwalk. They are usually on the cliffside road going toward the hotel and the boardwalk direction. As far as I recall, there shouldn't be any trails near there. You-see-es-see is more toward the mountain, the wilder will bring you more toward hwy 1 instead of the coast. Where did these riders come from? I want to ride where they rode after seeing the happy grind on their faces.

How do I end the ride at boardwalk?
    We used to camp on 9 down from Felton, ride the tracks to Poginip, up to UC/Grey Whale and down thru Wilder back Hwy 1bike path to the Boardwalk. Hang out then take open car Skunk Train back up canyon which dropped us off at Roaring Camp, a few s/t trail miles down from camp. Fun stuff.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill ll

Ariolimax columbianus
    just ride there and make sure you put on your slicks for the road, anything greater than 1.8" wide is too big. those riders probably stole those bikes anyways, because according to most of the people on here, there's a lotta homeless folks w/nice bike cruzin round downtown and the beach flats.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone
    wilder/hwy 1 bike path/r. on Schaffer Rd/r. towards W. Cliff/ W. cliff all the way to the Boardwalk!

there you go!

and yes Carl, that is exactly why we take that route, to smell the ocean and stuff!
    "and stuff" will likely be out in all its full glory this weekend with the amazing weather we are having. very toasty here today.

-j

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean
    "and stuff" will likely be out in all its full glory this weekend with the amazing weather we are having. very toasty here today.

-j
    i love the smell of fresh homegrown.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson
    i love the smell of fresh homegrown.
    The Suntan Coconut Oil smells good as well on weekends like this!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Any of you SC Cats - Nativeson, grumblingcrustacean wanna ride early AM tomorrow, Nisene or UNNE? I'm thinking of leaving my casa 7ish. I'm an old man but can hold my own I would like to think

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokeman
    Any of you SC Cats - Nativeson, grumblingcrustacean wanna ride early AM tomorrow, Nisene or UNNE? I'm thinking of leaving my casa 7ish. I'm an old man but can hold my own I would like to think
    i'm actually in watsonville, i'm a santa cruz poseur wannabe.....headed up to the tour de fat tomorrow, maybe next time....a lil after 7am though. do you work @ the spokesman?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No I have been known to bend and break spokes, I couldn't think of anything else at the time. No worries, I live Midtown SC by the harbor, we should ride for sure one of these days.

GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!

Surly OG
    Yah, like they said. riding home. Hopefully soon though there will be a Pogonip multi use trail that will create a "Loop" from the Boardwalk via the levee to Pogo to UC to Gray Whale to Wilder to Boardwalk again. Bring the whole family, they can shop / beach it and go ride... easy.
    Earn your turns. )'(

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokeman
    Sorry I missed this message, I ended up riding a bit as part of the MBOSC weekly ride. They ride every week at Wilder Ranch and is a good way to get introduced to the area. Take a look at:

http://mbosc.org/events.html#wilderride

I will probably be riding tomorrow morning earlyish (probably single speeding), I have an open window until noon or so.

-j

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you want to go with some hammerheads, you can always join the Wed. night rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wednesday night rides? Do give more details. Generally I am either busy or kayaking over the hill, but when I am back in town I am open to a ride now and then...

tastes like chicken

Circle Trail

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikerDan
    Yah, like they said. riding home. Hopefully soon though there will be a Pogonip multi use trail that will create a "Loop" from the Boardwalk via the levee to Pogo to UC to Gray Whale to Wilder to Boardwalk again. Bring the whole family, they can shop / beach it and go ride... easy.
    Like MtnBikerDan mentioned, the Pogonip multi-use trail will definitely go a long way to complete the "Circle Trail" - which will be a scenic loop on trails, dirt roads and paths around Santa Cruz.

In answer to your question, to get to the Boardwalk from Wilder Ranch take the ped/bike path (parallel to Hwy 1) out of Wilder, go down Shaffer Road or cut through Antonelli pond for dirt paths and through Natural Bridges (on the access road) to get to Westcliff drive. Enjoy the scenery while cruzing along along Westcliff and you can snatch little trail riding snippets on your way to the Beach Boardwalk.

When the Pogonip multi-use trail is constructed you will be able to park near the river levee or the Boardwalk and start/end your epicy Santa Cruz ride from there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean
    Wednesday night rides? Do give more details. Generally I am either busy or kayaking over the hill, but when I am back in town I am open to a ride now and then...
    Talk to the guys at Another Bike Shop - they should be able to fill you in. I know there are a couple that go down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wednesday night rides, sounds fun. I'm really pulling for the Pogo trail, praying it gets passed, that would be so sweet! I rode Sat. AM up to the top of Nisene then down Bacon, hit all 3 bacons, last Bacon is alot of dismounting and walking over logs, many trees down but still fun good ride. Garmin 500 said 3600 footies climbing, and around 35 miles. I was cooked

Members who have read this thread: 0