Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

How do you react to "Slow down!!!"?

We've all been there - going downhill you pass a hiker (or a biker climbing) only to hear an angry "Slow down!" shouted to your back.
    What do you do?

I have pre-filled some answers, so skip these:
    - I only ride park
    - I only shred gnar in UC
    - I only ride uphill
    - ... ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I noblige.

Not helpful.
    I yell "walk faster!"

Rides all the bikes!
    Never happens to me. If I am on a trail where people are coming up, especially hikers, I don't ride that fast to begin with.

I respectfully share trails with everyone. Not that hard, really.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Never happens to me. If I am on a trail where people are coming up, especially hikers, I don't ride that fast to begin with.

I respectfully share trails with everyone. Not that hard, really.
    Does not seem to matter how slow you are going - to a stationary person, you always appear to be riding too fast

Trail Gnome
    I never hear them...Iíve got my ear buds in

Elitest thrill junkie
    I slow down before they say that, so it's never a problem. If I don't want to slow down, I ride dedicated DH/directional trails.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I try and ride into and over hikers. If I knock them out they won't complain.

slow
    I don't hear that. On the multi-use trails where I ride hikers have the right-of-way, so I am yielding the trail and not moving when I encounter hikers unless they wave me through, in which case I politely pass at walking speed. Fortunately the trails I use are usually relatively uncrowded at the pre-dawn times I usually ride when I want to ride faster on the downhills.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It depends. If you were going kind of fast (enough to scare a hiker), then just slow down and say "sorry".

If you were going slow and trying to give room, then just say "I can't go any slower" or something similar.

Just be courteous, even if they're not.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by noblige View Post
    Does not seem to matter how slow you are going - to a stationary person, you always appear to be riding too fast
    I'm somewhere in the top 20 year on this non directional multi use trail (hiking and horse). I somehow got into that top 20 all while slowing down slow enough to say hello and let the few hikers I passed know that I was riding solo. Really, just slow down to a walking pace. If going a walking pace is too slow, get off and walk passed them then remount.

Share the trails.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1787397?filter=overall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I'm somewhere in the top 20 year on this non directional multi use trail (hiking and horse). I somehow got into that top 20 all while slowing down slow enough to say hello and let the few hikers I passed know that I was riding solo. Really, just slow down to a walking pace. If going a walking pace is too slow, get off and walk passed them then remount.

Share the trails.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1787397?filter=overall

I agree, pass at walking pace unless the situation dictates otherwise, even so you can't always please everyone.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Happens at mission peak all the time, especially when i tell hiker not to come to a deadstop.

Moderator Moderator
    I've met some really cool hikers/equestrians this year; British WW2 vet, guy who breeds wolf hybrids, various horseback riders, guy who played in the NFL.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Iím usually cautious around hikers, but I do get carried away from time to time. Iíll bite the bullet and apologize regardless though. Never really on multiuse trails unless I want a quick workout and I donít want to cause any drama while there.

mtbr member
    Just yell ďSTRAVA!!!!!Ē
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Just yell ďSTRAVA!!!!!Ē
    I have found that that's actually the best approach everyone is completely understanding as you seek to be the KOM.

Also something like a Timber bike bell on multi-use / multi-direction trails typically turns most interactions with other users into positivice experiences.

Almost everytime I have it on someone thanks me for running it.

mtbr member
    Ever since Iíve started using a bell, almost all hikers seem to react positively and thank me for alerting them. Spurcycle bell, very high quality.

mtbr member
    If you can hear them yelling, you're not going fast enough.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Ever since Iíve started using a bell, almost all hikers seem to react positively and thank me for alerting them. [/IMG]
    Yup. I've been using Timber bell - people turn around, step aside and then still complain!
    Dude, trust me - I've already slowed down. Besides, you see me, I see you, and there's at least three feet between us.

Kids and dogs are exceptions though - definitely full stop when you see them.

How do you react to "Slow down!!!"?-71l-oy-1vhl._sl1500_.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yup. I've been using Timber bell - people turn around, step aside and then still complain!
    Dude, trust me - I've already slowed down. Besides, you see me, I see you, and there's at least three feet between us.

Kids and dogs are exceptions though - definitely full stop when you see them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71L-Oy+1VhL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	1230616
    Yep, timber Bell: A+

I had one lady say I was going too fast. I was able to come to a complete stop in something like 8 feet, and was still that far away from her. So I disagreed.

I pointed out that she could have heard me coming if she wasn't wearing both head phones. She wasn't making an effort to make get presence known, so how could I prepare?

We did not end up agreeing on anything, I felt bad for her dog that it had such a clueless owner.

I have noticed that on my terrain, hardpack with loose scree, my rear braking is pretty poor in that sudden stop situation. I can often hear and feel my rear tire break free and scrub until I let pressure off again. This makes a sort of aggressive noise that can startle people, which I get.

As one poster mentioned, time of ride is a consideration too. 11am on Sunday morning is not the time to blast down a multi use trail. Keep the speed in check because there will be other people

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yep, I rarely have to ride on sundays but when I do, I will put on my jersey that says the name trail advocacy group that I am a part of and stop for everyone and say hello.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Hella Olde
    There are a lot of hot fitness grandmas out there so I come to a complete stop in case there is a irresistible chemical reaction. Sadly, I just come off as extra polite when what they really want is a bad boy - not a creepy Enduro-loaner.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm getting one of these, it CAW's at hikers and equestrians.

How do you react to "Slow down!!!"?-screen-shot-2018-12-25-12.09.01-pm.jpg

Formerly dvo
    Had just such an occurrence today on a dead end trail coming out of Fremont Older into Stevens Creek county park. I was coming in hot and the guy mid 50's raised his hiking stick and assumed a defensive posture as I came to a stop ( controlled no skids ) 10 feet away from him. I did attempt to engage him in conversation but he was having none of it as he strode away. I always try to put myself in their position, clearly he was scared that I was out of control. To him I was the dick speeding down the hill, to me the act of raising a 5' long staff as if to strike me seemed a bit much. I wished his receding back a Merry Christmas and went on my way.

The answer to the OP's question is you slow down and calm the frightened and accept no bullshit from the hateful old hikers.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    The answer to the OP's question is you slow down and calm the frightened and accept no bullshit from the hateful old hikers.
    Love it! Best advice I sometimes have this feeling that shouting kind is maybe generally unhappy, and maybe be rather some place else? Who knows...

Moderator Moderator

How do you react to "Slow down!!!"?

^^^ I think MTBRDAN gives some great advice. I would add, another option is to just ignore the hateful old hikers. You're not going to change their attitude, and you may escalate a situation into something you later regret.
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yes! Ride with a bell, slow down and say hi, don't fly around blind corners (even if you know you can come to a stop quickly). That's enough for decent, reasonable people. If that's not enough for someone, just move on, they're out to ruin their own day, don't let them ruin yours.

used to be RipRoar
    I've witnessed hikers that are just scared of the bikes it seems. You could be going slightly faster than walking and still think your Evil Kenival.

Apologize and carry on.

Sweat Buster Helmet padding, Why suffer with sweat in your face & glasses? traxfactory.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I use a bell. I also use my ability to read body language. If itís obvious, Iíll stop and take a break. What do I care, Iím not walking.

I usually stop for the elderly, and all hot chicks. Iím like a mtn biking ambassador of good will and manners to the hot chicks.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    You could be going slightly faster than walking and still think your Evil Kenival.
    Can't blame them, I think the same.

mtbr member
    Pretty chill folks in the eldoco - 415,650,480 - youíre all fíd. Sorry your neighbors are aholes.

Nobody
    If I see hikers, I will slow unless they are cheering to send it. For equestrians, I always stop and wait for them advise me as to how their horse needs to be treated.

There is only one place where I am consistently yelled at, regardless of whether I bomb past or come a compete stop. There is an old lady that hikes JNT everyday and she is a pisser. The yells and mumbles shit, but will not engage in a conversation. One time, she screamed some pretty harsh words when my wife and I had our dog off leash. My wife approached her to talk about it and she started walking away very briskly.

She gets a fly-by from me, EVERY TIME, now...

I have a spur bell to announce myself and will never call out, "on your left/right". That tends to put people in an uncontrollable panic. I believe it' safer to make stealth ride-by's even if it agitates others.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Iíll be another who agrees with mtbrdan. Thatís the way I roll as well: friendly to those who deserve it, and f*ing ignore the grumpy hiking stick wielding old cusses. By the time I hear ďslow downĒ Iím usually waaay past them anyway.

Iím ultra polite in 99% of the encounters, although hikers wearing earbuds who havenít heard my bell ringing (yet get pissed off anyway) will receive some choice words from me.

Besides, I rarely ride fast on high traffic trails, or uphill. Or downhill. Come to think of it, Iím pretty slow on flats as well.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Don't fight and don't let it ruin your day.

And if your riding needs adjustment on that trail, take it into consideration.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    If I see hikers, I will slow unless they are cheering to send it. For equestrians, I always stop and wait for them advise me as to how their horse needs to be treated.

There is only one place where I am consistently yelled at, regardless of whether I bomb past or come a compete stop. There is an old lady that hikes JNT everyday and she is a pisser. The yells and mumbles shit, but will not engage in a conversation. One time, she screamed some pretty harsh words when my wife and I had our dog off leash. My wife approached her to talk about it and she started walking away very briskly.

She gets a fly-by from me, EVERY TIME, now...

I have a spur bell to announce myself and will never call out, "on your left/right". That tends to put people in an uncontrollable panic. I believe it' safer to make stealth ride-by's even if it agitates others.
    John Nicholas? What time of day/week?
    IPA will save America

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Pretty chill folks in the eldoco - 415,650,480 - youíre all fíd. Sorry your neighbors are aholes.
    Must not be riding the good trails. Lotta ahole hikers in eldo! Let's not forget Finta! He's King

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I rode Christmas Day with a ton of hikers out. The rule here is for the biker to yield to the hiker. Pretty impossible rule really. Coming up from behind on a hiker what are we supposed to do? Stop and let them walk another 50í then get going again and come up on them again then stop and repeat the process? If this were real life Iíd quit this sport. In reality coming up from behind I always give an audible ďon your leftĒ as Iím already at a crawling speed. Iíve already seen them from a distance and slowed down. They always stop and step off the trail as I pass. As I pass I always say thank you and have a nice day. Then thereís the earbud wearing hiker. Coming up to them from behind and startling them. Even with an audible from me, nothing I can do about that, Itís their own fault.

Scenario number two. Coming face to face with a hiker going the opposite direction. We both see each other from a distance I slow way down to a crawl and the hiker stops and lets me by. I then again say thank you and have a nice day. Never am I going Mach I as I pass them and hear them say slow down. On occasion I have had rude looks and no response back as I say thanks and have a nice day. Those hikers in general just hate bikers. Nothing I can do about that. I certainly donít say anything rude back keeping in mind we want to stay in good standing with other trail users. If I did hear anything from them such as slow down Iíd just blow it off and continue on without a response other than maybe a sorry. Of course thereís always the single track in thick forested areas where blind corners put you in quite a predicament at speed. No real solution to this other than to ride those type of trails at off peak hours and slow down in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    NO ONE likes being startled by ANYTHING Keep that in mind - this is why people shout or react with something negative when you've startled them.

Some level of fight or flight kicks in and your lucky if all you hear is "slowdown"

If you think it's funny and/or are amused that you startled someone while self-pleasuring on your ride then you should seek help.
    Last edited by Truckee29; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:56 AM.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, the bell is really the key for me on Bay Area trails. 1/4 of my rides are in busy hiker areas, and dogs illegally off leash. Ive been bitten 4 times in the last few years in "Dogs Must Be On Leash" trails. No blood drawn. The bummer is getting yelled at as you pass on a 4 foot wide trail, by someone that did not hear your bell because of their earbuds. Ive had other riders say "You are really rude to hikers", because said rider did not know the entire story, or realized a split second after they nag me, that hiker had earbuds in. Classic Humanity! Thats why 3/4 of my rides include solitude (or good friends). Alot of people thanks you for ringing bell. Frankly, Im tired of hearing my damn bell. Riding in Sierra Nevada is so much better than locally. Sad snow.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    John Nicholas? What time of day/week?
    I'm pretty sure she is there most days, but I usually see her if I'm riding around 3-4ish. Not sure about winter hours...
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Riding to work. I always came face to face with a total evil harpy. She would cuss at me because my lights were too. bright. Seriously, her light were brighter than mine by a long shot.

There is no pleasing some people. I donít waste a thought on them.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    I say "Thanks! Have a great day!" as I release the brake and bounce off a rock towards the sky. Yippeee! They are jealous I am having more fun than they are.

Approx 75% of the time they see me coming, smiling, waving, slowing, and riding at them one-handed confidently in control. "Hi!"

It's a small world. I see locals on my local trails, the same folks at the grocery store and bar.

Ride on!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    Riding to work. I always came face to face with a total evil harpy. She would cuss at me because my lights were too. bright. Seriously, her light were brighter than mine by a long shot.

There is no pleasing some people. I donít waste a thought on them.
    I gotcha.

Been riding there a bit now on normal bike and ebike(since i can ride from home).

I did encounter a family once with two teenage boys. Dad smiled and two boys had the look of envy as I slowed down my descent almost to a stop. Then the mom was mouthing off mumbling hate about bikers. That could have been her. Pretty disturbed person.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Must not be riding the good trails. Lotta ahole hikers in eldo! Let's not forget Finta! He's King
    lol ok

3rd Coolest
    I see bikers out on foot all the time yelling for me to slow down... I just assume their defending their Strava KOMís...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great topic. Love the "walk faster" response mentioned above.

I deal with this situation almost daily. Depending on mood, I try to be positive:
    -"What a beautiful trail"
    -"Have a great hike"
    -"seems to be plenty of trail here for all of us"

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    In terms of hearing "slow down" for me....

It all depends on the situation where they person suggests I take it easy.

It isn't too often I deserve that comment so I consider the situation if/when it happens.

As mentioned above, people can become started and then it is "our fault".
    As a runner, I've started countless people (mostly younger women) during my runs.
    I've scuffed my feet. Coughed. Spit. Cleared my throat. All well in advance of the person. And finally I'll speak out (when closer). If they choose to listen to their music too loud or read text messages and aren't paying attention, well I really cannot take responsibility any further to ensure they are not startled. I just reassure myself after passing that "I am at least the nice guy not sneaking up on a person".

Similar on a bike. I used to flick a brake lever. I'll let the freehub speak as i coast near them. Other body noises as mentioned above.

I've found that using a voice softly, and more near, is less startling. When yelling from a distance it comes off as more scary to hear somebody yell, in my opinion. They don't know i"m just trying to be nice -all they hear is a person yelling that they are approaching and they should bow before me.

Now if I'm riding flat out past a person minding their own business and paying attention to their surroundings, yeah I deserve the comment.
    If I am rapidly heading down a hill where I can't easily slow to an appropriate speed -I will at least apologize as I pass by the person.

mtb'er
    For coming up on hikers going the same direction:

"On your left" = hiker jumping in haste to their left and completely defeating the purpose of calling out.

"Howdy! Mind if I sneak by when you feel safe" = "ok, thanks"

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    In terms of hearing "slow down" for me....

It all depends on the situation where they person suggests I take it easy.

It isn't too often I deserve that comment so I consider the situation if/when it happens.

As mentioned above, people can become started and then it is "our fault".
    As a runner, I've started countless people (mostly younger women) during my runs.
    I've scuffed my feet. Coughed. Spit. Cleared my throat. All well in advance of the person. And finally I'll speak out (when closer). If they choose to listen to their music too loud or read text messages and aren't paying attention, well I really cannot take responsibility any further to ensure they are not startled. I just reassure myself after passing that "I am at least the nice guy not sneaking up on a person".

Similar on a bike. I used to flick a brake lever. I'll let the freehub speak as i coast near them. Other body noises as mentioned above.

I've found that using a voice softly, and more near, is less startling. When yelling from a distance it comes off as more scary to hear somebody yell, in my opinion. They don't know i"m just trying to be nice -all they hear is a person yelling that they are approaching and they should bow before me.

Now if I'm riding flat out past a person minding their own business and paying attention to their surroundings, yeah I deserve the comment.
    If I am rapidly heading down a hill where I can't easily slow to an appropriate speed -I will at least apologize as I pass by the person.
    great advice
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    For coming up on hikers going the same direction:

"On your left" = hiker jumping in haste to their left and completely defeating the purpose of calling out.

"Howdy! Mind if I sneak by when you feel safe" = "ok, thanks"
    Exactly. It has also helped me to make noise from way back so they know I'm not right up on them, then ask to pass when I get closer. Often they have already made room.

If the people aren't total dicks I try to compliment their choice of activity or cool boots or something or pay attention to the kids.

But about half are still bitter. All in all their attitude has little to do with me and more to do with their lives off the trail.

Rent this space for $
    There's no pleasing everybody. I, with the help of another Director, administrate a super successful bell program Bells4Bikes down here in SLO. You might say I'm very "pro-bell!" Mine are permanently attached to all of my mtb's so I don't forget them and always use them. We have a pretty solid usage of bells here locally but that's not without issue. Some of the hiker-types treat it as if it were mandatory....and it's not. Even with a bell permanently fixed and functional, on a flat and buff section of trail, I have been scorned by many a Suburu/Prius driving, capri-wearing, short gray haired militant feminazi soldier for not having a bell only because the trail was too buff to cause it to jingle. These wretches are just out looking to piss in someone's Wheaties while they're out on the very trail that my thousands of hours of effort has supplied them. No good deed goes unpunished.

I'll be the first to admit that I tire of the sound of the bell and in the right circumstances will silence it with my tiny magnet to enjoy listening to the sound of my tires on hero dirt along with with the patter of well adjusted suspension but I can't let myself forget where the bells have proactively brought us in our region and that is a virtually conflict free network of about 100 miles of local city, county, and State Park multi-use trails with more coming online like our new connector at MdO State Park I'll be digging with Drew Perkins from MBoSC in 2 weeks. Pretty much all of the trails we have dug down here in the last 5 years have been with the blessings of equestrian and hiker's and a massive part of that has been our advocacy group's strong willingness to work closely with our "other" user groups. If you choose to fight that battle, you have already lost the war.

Our interactions with other users on the trail are critical. As riders, we must constantly remember that and it begins with those close encounters we may think mean little.

fc
    If they have kids under 5 yrs, or if they are over 70 years old, they get a pass. I'll just smile and slow down.
    IPA will save America

Professional Troll
    This is such a ridiculous discussion. Their anger has nothing to do with your behavior, and there is little to nothing you can do to improve the situation. These are just narcissistic, angry, and oblivious people.

Example:
    Today I was riding my CX bike around the city, there are many legal multi use dirt/gravel paths. And basically everywhere there are pedestrians walking 4-6 abreast consuming the entire path. I am dressed in brightly colored clothes and helmet (and 6'7" tall!), with a VERY loud 240 hub, and very squeaky (contaminated) brakes at the moment. And very often they act like they don't see me until I'm literally stopped in front of them less than 3 feet in front of them. Then when I pass, they give a scoff of some kind and some derogatory look on their face (I had my g/f riding behind me to confirm). This is while I'm literally riding on urban, legal, multi use paths, at VERY low/safe speeds and not in my "asshole MTB-er" mode.

People are just dumb.

So nowadays whenever people just give me crap for no reason while I'm riding a trail, I just get off my bike, pound my chest and make a primal scream. It seems to do the trick. I stopped giving a fvck about these kinds of useless angry people a long time ago. There's nothing you can say or do in a 15 second interaction that is going to fundamentally change their terrible, undeveloped personality.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I take a lot of abuse. I often ride with a friend who is faster than me, and he doesn't really slow down for hikers. So he goes in front, pisses off the hikers as he blows by them, then along I come, slowing down and being all friendly and I get yelled at. It's kinda funny.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    I take a lot of abuse. I often ride with a friend who is faster than me, and he doesn't really slow down for hikers. So he goes in front, pisses off the hikers as he blows by them, then along I come, slowing down and being all friendly and I get yelled at. It's kinda funny.
    Is he your relative or something? Cause i would ditch him forever.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    This is such a ridiculous discussion. Their anger has nothing to do with your behavior, and there is little to nothing you can do to improve the situation. These are just narcissistic, angry, and oblivious people.
    It's always a spectrum of behavior. Some hikers are bad, some are good. Most are in the middle somewhere. To call them all #@$! is primitive.
    IPA will save America

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    It's always a spectrum of behavior. Some hikers are bad, some are good. Most are in the middle somewhere. To call them all #@$! is primitive.
    Kind of like all the crazies speeding past you on the freeway and then all the morons going slower than you.... Dang people!

Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    There's no pleasing everybody. I, with the help of another Director, administrate a super successful bell program Bells4Bikes down here in SLO. You might say I'm very "pro-bell!" Mine are permanently attached to all of my mtb's so I don't forget them and always use them. We have a pretty solid usage of bells here locally but that's not without issue. Some of the hiker-types treat it as if it were mandatory....and it's not. Even with a bell permanently fixed and functional, on a flat and buff section of trail, I have been scorned by many a Suburu/Prius driving, capri-wearing, short gray haired militant feminazi soldier for not having a bell only because the trail was too buff to cause it to jingle. These wretches are just out looking to piss in someone's Wheaties while they're out on the very trail that my thousands of hours of effort has supplied them. No good deed goes unpunished.

I'll be the first to admit that I tire of the sound of the bell and in the right circumstances will silence it with my tiny magnet to enjoy listening to the sound of my tires on hero dirt along with with the patter of well adjusted suspension but I can't let myself forget where the bells have proactively brought us in our region and that is a virtually conflict free network of about 100 miles of local city, county, and State Park multi-use trails with more coming online like our new connector at MdO State Park I'll be digging with Drew Perkins from MBoSC in 2 weeks. Pretty much all of the trails we have dug down here in the last 5 years have been with the blessings of equestrian and hiker's and a massive part of that has been our advocacy group's strong willingness to work closely with our "other" user groups. If you choose to fight that battle, you have already lost the war.

Our interactions with other users on the trail are critical. As riders, we must constantly remember that and it begins with those close encounters we may think mean little.
    You my friend missed your calling if youíre not a writer already.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Admittedly, it is harder to do this in NorCal but when I want to go faster (a relative term for me), I climb pretty far out. Way beyond where typical hikers or dog walkers. By the time I get back to where the trail is busy again, I'm ready to just go cruising speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    See post #39 of this thread.. As fc says, ditch him forever - or encourage him to seek help. Your friends attitude is why people don't want to share trails with bikes

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    Kind of like all the crazies speeding past you on the freeway and then all the morons going slower than you.... Dang people!

Effin people
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    "At least I pay property taxes"

Quote Originally Posted by langster831 View Post
    I see bikers out on foot all the time yelling for me to slow down... I just assume their defending their Strava KOMís...
    How else would a hiker be, but on foot?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I never hear them...Iíve got my ear buds in
    I can't hear them over my bluetooth speaker that's blaring Hoobastank!-every flanneled endurodouche ever.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    In the immortal words of Iron Mike Tyson:

ďMy philosophy is, people basically suck.Ē

(must be spoken with a lisp for proper effect)

Formerly dvo
    Yesterday at Fremont Older a solo lady on a horse was heading towards me on a fireroad, I could tell that the horse was nervous so I stopped and asked her what she wanted me to do,"stay still", as the very nervous horse approached I told her that I thought she was very irresponsible to be bringing out a green horse to a crowded holiday weekend park. She said she didn't think it was going to be so crowded, as they drew even with me the horse nearly reared when I turned my head 3 inches. I was concerned the damn thing was either going to throw her or kick me. Normally the horses from the adjoining horse ranch are docile and completely used to bikes etc and as I continued on I passed a train of 5 with no issues. I knew from experience that I would see her again on my way out and sure enough I did, I stopped, looked down and waited for her to pass ( "sorry" ) and headed home.
    In short as J-Flo said above, people suck, she was willing to subject her horse to that kind of stress and if something had gone wrong and she had gotten thrown the other trail user would have been to blame.
    And to nilswalk.....your friend is a dick and there is nothing funny about it, if you aren't willing to say something to him you might be one too.
    I'm the problem....

Cynical Chump
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    How else would a hiker be, but on foot?
    Read his post again (but carefully this time)...

Cynical Chump

Name:	71L-Oy+1VhL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	1230616
    Gotta admit, I hate those timber! bells. I find them really grating as they incessantly ring-ding-ding. One of my riding partners uses one, and it sort of ruins rides for me. I wan to hear my bike and the silence of the forest. Really prefer a bell that allows you to decide specifically when to ring it. I use an old Incredibell (seems like the new ones are cheaper and don't work as well).

As to the OP's question, I fall into the moderate camp:

- Most of the time, I have slowed down sufficiently/used my bell/said hello, and there is no conflict - all good.
    - There are times when I deserve it, and I apologize.
    - There are also times when I have slowed down and am fully in control, and it really tees me off that the hiker doesn't recognize that and is still freaked out. I want to get off the bike and give them a good lecture about how I'm riding within my limits and am not a threat to them, and they should not project their fear and lack of skill onto me. But I don't.

Professional Troll
    In short as J-Flo said above, people suck, she was willing to subject her horse to that kind of stress and if something had gone wrong and she had gotten thrown the other trail user would have been to blame.
    If a horse reacts to a mountain bike/biker, it's the horses/equestrians fault, period. Properly trained horses shouldn't even bat an eye at a 450 Moto flying down the trail, or nearby small bears, or gunshots.

(Disclaimer, I'm not a horse person, this is just what experienced horse people tell me)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBro View Post
    Read his post again (but carefully this time)...
    I did, still says the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by langster831 View Post

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If a horse reacts to a mountain bike/biker, it's the horses/equestrians fault, period. Properly trained horses shouldn't even bat an eye at a 450 Moto flying down the trail, or nearby small bears, or gunshots.

(Disclaimer, I'm not a horse person, this is just what experienced horse people tell me)
    It's possible those horse people are snobs. Horses are animals and can react unpredictably. Being nice and courteous is not hard and it helps people share the trails.

I had a really friendly dog once. Loved kids, other dogs, other people. Then we found out, embarrassingly, he absolutely hated Black people. Yes, a racist dog. Who saw that coming? Point is, we can never know, so just share the damn trail.

Yesterday at Fremont Older a solo lady on a horse was heading towards me on a fireroad, I could tell that the horse was nervous so I stopped and asked her what she wanted me to do,"stay still", as the very nervous horse approached I told her that I thought she was very irresponsible to be bringing out a green horse to a crowded holiday weekend park. She said she didn't think it was going to be so crowded, as they drew even with me the horse nearly reared when I turned my head 3 inches. I was concerned the damn thing was either going to throw her or kick me. Normally the horses from the adjoining horse ranch are docile and completely used to bikes etc and as I continued on I passed a train of 5 with no issues. I knew from experience that I would see her again on my way out and sure enough I did, I stopped, looked down and waited for her to pass ( "sorry" ) and headed home.
    And to nilswalk.....your friend is a dick and there is nothing funny about it, if you aren't willing to say something to him you might be one too.
    Amazing that someone would take a green horse out on multi use trails at all much less a busy weekend. Where I ride I frequently come up on or face to face with equestrians. Never had an issue. Iím always very verbal with them and have a pleasant exchange. Only once can I remember having a strange encounter. I was coming down a steep technical trail. Thereís a series of switchbacks and completely open of trees so you can see whoís coming quite aways off. I heard the clopping sound of horses then saw two riders at full running gallop coming up. I pulled over as they ran through the switchbacks and then up past me. I watched as they ran through a very technical rock garden with a 50í cliff on one side. Full speed ahead on narrow single track through rocks. I was amazed at what I was seeing. Never a hesitation as they passed by me and never did they slow but rather sped up going uphill. Felt bad for the horses they were being treated like that.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:35 PM.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    It's possible those horse people are snobs. Horses are animals and can react unpredictably. Being nice and courteous is not hard and it helps people share the trails.

I had a really friendly dog once. Loved kids, other dogs, other people. Then we found out, embarrassingly, he absolutely hated Black people. Yes, a racist dog. Who saw that coming? Point is, we can never know, so just share the damn trail.

I think any rider with half a brain knows to be very courteous to horses. Yes they SHOULD be trained and calm, but I treat every horse on the trail like it's itching to kick me in the chin.

Moderator Moderator
    And then there's those people who walk their 'non-trail' dogs off leash. I almost got a Chihuahua caught in my spokes the other day.

This is a trail dog.....

How do you react to "Slow down!!!"?-img_2071.jpg

LOLZ
    And a damn good looking one at that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think any rider with half a brain knows to be very courteous to horses. Yes they SHOULD be trained and calm, but I treat every horse on the trail like it's itching to kick me in the chin.
    I'm mostly disagreeing with your first sentence.

Saying any horse on the trail should be perfectly trained is like saying everyone on a mountain bike should have enough skill to never crash or get in over their head.

It happens.

Elitest thrill junkie

Saying any horse on the trail should be perfectly trained is like saying everyone on a mountain bike should have enough skill to never crash or get in over their head.

It happens.

I disagree, when I go out on the trail I have enough brake power and I ride fast/slow enough that I can stop around a blind turn and not hurt other people when I come up on them. I'm responsible for my vehicle (bike) out there and my actions. Same thing with horses. It's their responsibility and their fault if they are not in control, 100%. They are endangering other people if they are not in control.

Horse doesn't need to be perfectly trained, horse-person needs to be in control of their animal and not endangering other trail-users. Whatever level of training that requires is up to the horse person and they should be making trail decisions based on their knowledge of the horse and it's capabilities.

MTBers are generally not crashing everywhere and into everyone, for the same reasons.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I disagree, when I go out on the trail I have enough brake power and I ride fast/slow enough that I can stop around a blind turn and not hurt other people when I come up on them. I'm responsible for my vehicle (bike) out there and my actions. Same thing with horses. It's their responsibility and their fault if they are not in control, 100%. They are endangering other people if they are not in control.
    Yes. me too. But, you're highly experienced and have a huge knowledge of your equipment. Beginners get themselves into trouble though. It's part of the game of life.

Horses are even less predictable. We should give them that consideration.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes. me too. But, you're highly experienced and have a huge knowledge of your equipment. Beginners get themselves into trouble though. It's part of the game of life.

Horses are even less predictable. We should give them that consideration.

I generally see beginners riding much slower, walking around obstacles, etc. We built a bunch of new "expert" trails this year and they have been ultra-popular, dropoffs, big table-top jumps, steep sections, etc. Lots of different level of riders on them. The beginners are generally taking it slower and not attempting to do every obstacle, I see their actions as generally responsible, not constantly crashing.

One again, it's the horse-person's responsibility to control their animal, they can not pass that off to anyone else. If they can not do so, they are endangering the other trail-users and should not be on the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I generally see beginners riding much slower, walking around obstacles, etc. We built a bunch of new "expert" trails this year and they have been ultra-popular, dropoffs, big table-top jumps, steep sections, etc. Lots of different level of riders on them. The beginners are generally taking it slower and not attempting to do every obstacle, I see their actions as generally responsible, not constantly crashing.

One again, it's the horse-person's responsibility to control their animal, they can not pass that off to anyone else. If they can not do so, they are endangering the other trail-users and should not be on the trail.
    Yes, it is technically their responsibility, but I just didn't want to support anyone in taking that as permission to flaunt courtesy.

Technically it's our responsibility to yield to them too, so I hope people continue to do that.

I've exclusively had positive interactions with horse riders, and intend to keep it that way, I hope others do the same, and still get to "go fast" when warranted

Professional Troll

It happens.

I never said that horses on multi use trails (as in bikes, hikers, horses only, NOT motos) should be 'perfectly trained'. They should be trained enough that they don't have 'negative' responses to hikers or bikers. I gave an example of what perfectly trained horses are capable of handling to illustrate that it's a very low bar to expect a horse to handle bikers and hikers. Every experienced horse person I've ever talked to says it's utter inconceivable that a properly trained horse would be spoked by hikers or MTBers. It is really negligent to bring it on a multi use trail if it candle handle those 2 things, period. Saying it should never happen is not like saying someone should never crash. It's like saying someone should never remove their brakes before descending JNT on a Saturday at noon.

But ya, I always give them as much space as possible. I'm more interested in being alive then "right".

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I never said that horses on multi use trails (as in bikes, hikers, horses only, NOT motos) should be 'perfectly trained'. They should be trained enough that they don't have 'negative' responses to hikers or bikers. I gave an example of what perfectly trained horses are capable of handling to illustrate that it's a very low bar to expect a horse to handle bikers and hikers. Every experienced horse person I've ever talked to says it's utter inconceivable that a properly trained horse would be spoked by hikers or MTBers. It is really negligent to bring it on a multi use trail if it candle handle those 2 things, period. Saying it should never happen is not like saying someone should never crash. It's like saying someone should never remove their brakes before descending JNT on a Saturday at noon.

But ya, I always give them as much space as possible. I'm more interested in being alive then "right".
    If you reread your post, it does not say that, but regardless I think you and I (and jayem) are in agreement.

The gist being:
    "Can't we all just... Get along?"

mtbr member
    Haha. Awesome replys on this thread. I will yell "walk faster" while beatingy chest like an ape next time.

I rode a hiking only trail summit trail yesterday. It was the one of the busiest days of the year for this trail for hiking
    And gnarly as hell for Riding. But I was there and have always wanted to ride it so I did. I probably encountered 60 hikers on the track. 100% of them loved that I was biking it. At least 20 stated they had never seen a biker on the track and that I was mad. Probably they considered it impossible to ride. It was well past black daimond tech.

Anyway, they had every right to abuse my rule breaking ass. But each time I saw a walker I would stop, strike up a happy conversation and jump off the track to get out of there way.

Happy days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    An ivory-billed woodpecker?

They didn't caw. But I would like to see one, but they are either extinct or critically endangered.

The "Kent" Call ‚ÄĒ Ivory-billed Woodpecker

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post

They didn't caw. But I would like to see one, but they are either extinct or critically endangered.

Now this is a cool post! Thank you!

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    I probably encountered 60 hikers on the track. 100% of them loved that I was biking it. At least 20 stated they had never seen a biker on the track and that I was mad. Probably they considered it impossible to ride. It was well past black daimond tech.

Ya it's just a generational thing. No one with a brain under 50 hates MTB'ers. In 20 years all these issues will just not be a thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Amazing that someone would take a green horse out on multi use trails at all much less a busy weekend. Where I ride I frequently come up on or face to face with equestrians. Never had an issue. Iím always very verbal with them and have a pleasant exchange. Only once can I remember having a strange encounter. I was coming down a steep technical trail. Thereís a series of switchbacks and completely open of trees so you can see whoís coming quite aways off. I heard the clopping sound of horses then saw two riders at full running gallop coming up. I pulled over as they ran through the switchbacks and then up past me. I watched as they ran through a very technical rock garden with a 50í cliff on one side. Full speed ahead on narrow single track through rocks. I was amazed at what I was seeing. Never a hesitation as they passed by me and never did they slow but rather sped up going uphill. Felt bad for the horses they were being treated like that.
    Are you sure they were not E-Bikes??.........Sounds like E-Bikers!!
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Fremont Older is my home trail, and it's good that I am reminded to be wary for the occasional green horse there.

I'm really diggin it!
    That time I was out for a run on Yolanda trail and was admonished by a terrified equestrian to ďslow down.Ē She was completely out of her comfort zone and in my opinion negligent for being on a horse and trail she couldnít handle.

I was tempted to throw rocks until the horse spooked for the show. It would have been entertaining.

I donít miss Marin or multi use trails. Hopefully one of the advocacy groups or advocates in the Bay Area will embrace single use trails. Until then expect more of the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NedwannaB
    What's that phrase..."One shouldn't throw stones"?
    C'mon now Davey, play nice now.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
    Are you sure they were not E-Bikes??.........Sounds like E-Bikers!!
    Iím not completely out of the loop unless there are now eHorses.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 12.09.01 PM.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	1230618

Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post

Now this is a cool post! Thank you!
    This I would agree on. Since as early as I can remember in my childhood Iíve always been intrigued with the Ivory - billed Woodpecker.

Don't Tread on Me
    I kill their leaders, rape the women, and sell the older children into slavery. I supply the young children with a bike and send them on their way. We can win this war

Note to the chronically stupid: This is a form of humor called sarcasm. This form of humor is meant for the mentally agile.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Davey Simon;13934419]That time I was out for a run on Yolanda trail and was admonished by a terrified equestrian to ďslow down.Ē

Waitaminute
    Did I read that right? You were out for a run & caught an earful?
    Well now thatís completely fíd up. Either that or youíre Usain Bolt.

I'm really diggin it!
    [QUOTE=glenj;13934973]
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    That time I was out for a run on Yolanda trail and was admonished by a terrified equestrian to ďslow down.Ē

Waitaminute
    Did I read that right? You were out for a run & caught an earful?
    Well now thatís completely fíd up. Either that or your Usain Bolt.
    Yes running. Not very impressive either when I run. In fact itís pathetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    In this long holiday week it has had more excitement than in a year!

I've been cruising down a path pretty fast -I locked up the brakes well in time for them to know I wasn't going to be a threat. They shifted aside and I apologized in case I startle them. They apologized for "running my ride".
    I passed by (opposing directions) a woman and here 3 children and a dog. We all went wide -they stopped as I slowed to a crawl.
    Today I stopped to allow 2 horseback riders by, then later again we crossed and I again stopped.

I've had 2 or 3 folks with unleashed dogs -of course they said they are friendly and won't hurt me. One family had a small dog or two. I came to a stop when it ran towards me. I had to wait because as soon as I begun to move it was all up in a frenzie again. Of course they said he wouldn't bite as he is 8" from my ankle.

Two runners I know came off the mountain and entered a flow trail I was about to descend. I chatted with other riders for a minute or 3 then off I went. No idea how quick I'd be since I was on a new bike down the flow trail. The runners stepped aside when I came barreling down. In the parking lot they jokingly asked "Do you have a death wish - we were like -he's pedaling out of the corners". I knew them both and we chuckled about it.

Today I went wide for a father and young son to come by -he announced "2 more back there". When the next two approached I pulled over well off the trail (grassy open area) and yelled for them to continue, the mom and youngster were already awkward enough -no need for them to have to stop again. She said "thank you sir". I was like.....sir? haha

The only oh-crap moment was I had just started the fast descent of one of our fast downhills. A rider was coming up. I slowed (but not a lot). He stopped. I may have startled him (hard to tell since I was focused but he was not dressed like a typical mountain biker, helmet was on the bars and his bike was older). I may have made a bad example for us riders but in the end we were both fine and it was never a close call or bad situation (in my opinion).

I passed a few single folks walking/hiking the trail systems.

I've put about 85 miles of running and cycling in since Christmas and of the many experiences I've encountered with others, none has been a problem and we were all civil about it.

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Fremont Older is my home trail, and it's good that I am reminded to be wary for the occasional green horse there.
    If it is a train of horses they are likely from a class at Garrod, if it is one or two solo you never know and should check.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    Ya it's just a generational thing. No one with a brain under 50 hates MTB'ers. In 20 years all these issues will just not be a thing.
    You couldn't be more wrong, simplistic and divisive at the same time. Get a grip

If you startle a young couple with a toddler off leash as they're enjoying their family time then you're that guy. Thanks for helping them form a negative opinion of MTBers

OTOH, I have had elderly walkers be some of the most encouraging and friendly folks on the trails. Even in Marin

Try slowing it down around people on foot

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Happy there is none of this drama at my house.

The horses here are actually horses. Like they herd lifestock etc. and don't give two effs about my bike or dog.

That said I always slow down or stop. I do wish they would quit stomping the piss out of wet singletrack but I'm I'll count my blessings.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast