Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Paper or plastic?
    This feels like the festivus airing of grievances. I got a timberbell and slow down for little kids, and clueless hikers that hike 6 abreast and take over the whole fireroad.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just the other day was coming down Rocky Ridge in STP - 3 hikers walking down abreast, hogging the whole trail. Ring a bell - nothing, shout - nothing, ride around them - "Watch where you going!". Doh!

mtbr member
    I ride slower when there are hikers and I stop to allow them to pass as is the rule, like it or no. I also say hi to folks and sometimes chat for a bit. If you think that all the worlds trails are there for you to bomb and expect everyone to jump out of the way, your bad.

If people are yelling at you, you're probably going too fast and recklessly. You can have a place where you own the trails. Try the ranch listings on zillow. Otherwise, you're gonna have to share like a responsible adult.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I ride slower when there are hikers and I stop to allow them to pass as is the rule, like it or no. I also say hi to folks and sometimes chat for a bit. If you think that all the worlds trails are there for you to bomb and expect everyone to jump out of the way, your bad.

If people are yelling at you, you're probably going too fast and recklessly. You can have a place where you own the trails. Try the ranch listings on zillow. Otherwise, you're gonna have to share like a responsible adult.
    Except that I do that at all times and Iím still occasionally yelled at. Yesterday I was riding with a much slower friend. We cautiously approached a hiker waiting at an intersection. She was waiting off trail for us to pass. My friend and I had planned to go a different route at the same intersection the hiker was waiting for us to pass. As we were saying our good byes the hiker became increasingly steamed. She wanted us to pass her right now. Since she stepped off trail. Anyone who canít deal with other trail users and is constantly terrified should hike the many hiking only options that are plentiful in any community.

Sharing isnít a one way street. But keep it up with the condescending sentiments towards your fellow off road cyclists. Itís why we canít have nice things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Is there a draft in here or is it just me?

Signed:_Bent _Heat_Vent_
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Except that I do that at all times and Iím still occasionally yelled at.
    Have you tried exchanging recipes?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I ride slower when there are hikers and I stop to allow them to pass as is the rule, like it or no.
    How do you stop to allow them to pass if you are going in the same direction? Do you just stay behind them the whole time biking really slowly on their heels? Stop until they have enough space and then go and then just repeat that endlessly?

mtbr member
    Better yet, how do you pass people that have ear buds and couldn't hear and F-16 at 200 feet?

The worst yet is some horsey people I came up on from behind descending in Bidwell park. They knew I was there because I always have my cow bell but they obviously hate mountain bikers and were going to punish me. Eventually, the trail widened enough to blast past them. One of the horses shyed a bit but courtesy ends when it so obviously not returned.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Better yet, how do you pass people that have ear buds and couldn't hear and F-16 at 200 feet?
    I had the misfortune of being on a trail lately where some running competition was going on and we were all going the same direction. In general, my bell was enough to have warn everyone we were coming up and we could squeeze by where it made sense.

You can't do anything about clueless earbud users who shut out the world. There is no way of getting passed them. You can yell / ring your bell /etc they can't hear you. You just have to wait until the trail is wide enough and piss them off by slipping by.

It's because you are supposed to yield to horses, duh. Yield doesn't mean share the trail, it means I as a horse rider have the right to do whatever I want and everyone else just has to deal with it. Also, how dare you endanger someone's life by riding a bike near them. tsk tsk.

mtbr member
    DJ has the most honest and direct advice....The rule here is for the biker to yield to the hiker. Pretty impossible rule really. Coming up from behind on a hiker what are we supposed to do? Stop and let them walk another 50í then get going again and come up on them again then stop and repeat the process? If this were real life Iíd quit this sport. In reality coming up from behind I always give an audible ďon your leftĒ as Iím already at a crawling speed. Iíve already seen them from a distance and slowed down. They always stop and step off the trail as I pass. As I pass I always say thank you and have a nice day. Then thereís the earbud wearing hiker. Coming up to them from behind and startling them. Even with an audible from me, nothing I can do about that, Itís their own fault.

Scenario number two. Coming face to face with a hiker going the opposite direction. We both see each other from a distance I slow way down to a crawl and the hiker stops and lets me by. I then again say thank you and have a nice day. Never am I going Mach I as I pass them and hear them say slow down. On occasion I have had rude looks and no response back as I say thanks and have a nice day. Those hikers in general just hate bikers. Nothing I can do about that. I certainly donít say anything rude back keeping in mind we want to stay in good standing with other trail users. If I did hear anything from them such as slow down Iíd just blow it off and continue on without a response other than maybe a sorry. Of course thereís always the single track in thick forested areas where blind corners put you in quite a predicament at speed. No real solution to this other than to ride those type of trails at off peak hours and slow down in general.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Elitest thrill junkie
    Better yet, how do you pass people that have ear buds and couldn't hear and F-16 at 200 feet.
    That one's easy, you get right up behind them, say "hello" at least once in a normal voice, then SHOUT "HELLO!". In my experience, they are so shocked someone is behind them they easily give way. If they get a heart attack, you may have to lift your bike over the corpse.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

3rd Coolest
    If you have time to react, you weren't going fast enough to begin with. Braap

Enduro Bro's!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12