How do you get your butt out on the trail?- Mtbr.com
    Let's ride

How do you get your butt out on the trail?

Long day at work, dinner or couch calling, kids and dogs, legs hurt, mentally out of it...

Any tricks you guys use to get out the door? Count mileage for week, rides per week/month, secret trainer in the basement, buy a new bike ?

Or do you not worry your head and just go about your business?

I'm just curious. I know some friends that haven't ridden in months, due to some excuse or another.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I listen to people on this forum who dare me to ride ridiculous things like Kennedy on a SS
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Let's ride
    Other than super easy rides like Kennedy on a SS, how else do you get out the door?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Set the ride with folks on different schedule.
    Once you commit, it's much easier. Especialy pulling out early-bird 6:30am type of rides.
    I think I sleeped thorugh all planned solo rides.

aka baycat
    Like others have stated having a friend meet you at the trailhead is great motivation.

Knowing I can drink five beers and go to In and Out too!

Spend time on the trail away from the girlfriend is another reason sometimes to just get out

Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Other than super easy rides like Kennedy on a SS, how else do you get out the door?
    Alcohol induced race pre-registrations.....once I realize what I've done it motivates me to get out the door to do training rides so I don't look like a complete "fred" on the course.

Ya know rensho...there's an 8 hour solo at Billy Cross comin' up - you should give it a shot
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    The crazy, hectic, ever busy lifestyle I live can leave me pretty stressed out and sometimes a crabby jerk if I don't get the heck out of Dodge on occasion and escape up to the the trails and mountains at regular intervals. When my loving wife notices the signs that I'm starting to get "a little out of sorts", she says, "Why don't you go out, ride your bike, and come back happy, tired, and normal" She doesn't have to ask twice!

Having this great support at home is essential. Besides this, I have built-in Wednesday night rides after work as a normal part of my schedule. A bunch of my riding pals count on me to sent out the notice and show up. They rely on me and it makes me feel useful and wanted.

This two pronged strategy works pretty well for me.

bicycle rider
    I'm a dad, my wife and I both have demanding jobs, and my kids are nine and seven and have homework, busy personal lives, sports events and playdates. My wife and I have a fixed schedule for who does school drop-off, pick-up, makes meals. She also rides. So my riding schedule is very regimented. I get lots of time to ride because I have an excellent 20-mile (each way) bicycle commute. Most of my riding is road, which I like. I get some mornings to ride and if it fits I'll do a mtn bike ride those mornings. I get Sundays to ride or race and if I'm lucky and I can squeeze in a ride sometime Saturday, usually dawn-patrol rides before they wake up. (She gets Saturdays to ride.) During the winter I'll do mtn bike night rides after dinner too. I commute all winter with a really good HID light, rain or shine. During cross season and the lead up to it I'll do dirt/road variations on my commute, which luckily work out pretty well. After-work mtn bike rides used to be a staple for me back before I was a dad, but nowadays they're almost non-existant. The commute home gets me an excellent ride instead, but otherwise coming home, getting changed, missing dinner with my family isn't that fun, and it's also really hard to motivate myself to go back outside and get on the bike when I finally get home and get to see my kids, sit down. (I ride six days a week so once I hit the couch or the easy chair I begin my glide path toward sleep.)

ANYWAY, there's a snippet of how a busy dad gets his rides in. Ride to work. If only I could find a mostly-dirt 10- or 20-mile commute I'd be in heaven.

BTW night rides rock.

Morgan

aka baycat
    damn that made me tired! Seem to fit in a lot for someone who is very busy

*baycat not super looking foward to married and pregnant gf*

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    damn that made me tired!

*baycat not super looking foward to married and pregnant gf*
    I should have mentioned that I've gone on some epic little rides with both my kids:

http://www.hahaha.org/gallery/200603...trees/IMG_0892
    http://www.hahaha.org/gallery/lulu_tandem/IMG_0379

Kids and bike riding go fine together. They love to come to cyclocross races and ride around too. You will enjoy teaching your kids how cool bike riding is.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Just thinking about dropping down trails like Ridge / Sawpit @ Demo puts a smile on my face. I wake up in the morning, and can't wait to ride.

If I need a jump start, a cup of coffee and/or some Ripped Fuel capsules, and about 10 minutes of any decent mountain biking DVD do the trick

mtbr member
    Yeah, night rides do rock but only as an alternative to non night rides. Gotta have others on the trail for safety and extra light around you. By myself, it's a little scary. There's critters, ghosts, and other scary stuff I imagine at night. I can see landmarks and know where I am during the day. At night, all trails look the same, at least to me. My bike it so much lighter without batteries, I can jam! The best thing about night riding is the adventure! That's the #1 reason I enjoy mountain biking!

smw
    pedal pusher
    Scheduling rides with friends works best for me. Weekendsd are no problem, its during the week that I have a hard time with.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Groveland Trail Heads

I am the complete

Long day at work, dinner or couch calling, kids and dogs, legs hurt, mentally out of it...

Any tricks you guys use to get out the door? Count mileage for week, rides per week/month, secret trainer in the basement, buy a new bike ?

Or do you not worry your head and just go about your business?

I'm just curious. I know some friends that haven't ridden in months, due to some excuse or another.
    opposite, Tom.... I have been not able to ride since the UCSC MBTB ride because of a "death cough" I have developed. I have sooooo much stress in my life right now that all I want to do is just ride but I can't Look for a Gray Heckler on EBay soon......
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    If I don't want to ride I don't go for a ride. If the call of the couch is strong, I'm on the couch. If I forced myself to go when I didn't feel like it, riding would cease to be fun and instead be work. Then I would stop riding altogether.

I don't remember ever not wanting to ride if I've made plans with other people to go riding, though. So that's my only tip. Make plans for a social ride every day. Then you'll ride 365 days a year.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member

Several Motivating Factors

Age....I'm not getting any younger and MTB is how I stay in shape.

I know that I can eat and drink pretty much whatever I want after a good long ride...like Baycat....In and Out + 5 beers or Marias and a pitcher of Fat Sierra (thats half Sierra Nevada and half Fat Tire....I know thats weird but I think it's yummy)

My SO is very supportive and understands that I need to MTB often to keep my sanity.

Sometimes after a hard day at work it is pretty hard to motivate on to the bike...especially when temps start hitting high 90's and triple digits up here. I have to project my mind out on to the trail and remember how good it feels to be out there soaking up Mother nature.
    :p

(slight return)
    Never lack the motivation, just need more time. HID lights and living 200 yards from the nearest trail help make the most of what I get when the time comes.

-slide

Paper or plastic?
    The only time it's hard for me to get out on the bike is when I have to wake up at 5:45 to ride 11 miles of flat pavement and 2 miles of dirt. Weekdays morning rides (few and far between these days) are really really hard to get motivated for especially when the trail I go on pretty much sucks... After work rides are easy for 2 reasons: 1) that forces me to get out of work at a decent time and 2) the bike is in the car, so I go straight from work to riding.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailseeker
    When my loving wife notices the signs that I'm starting to get "a little out of sorts", she says, "Why don't you go out, ride your bike, and come back happy, tired, and normal" She doesn't have to ask twice!
    That sounds familiar! "you're getting cranky, go for a ride"

I'm pretty much a weekend warrior because of kids, work etc. So one ride a week more or less. This weekend get to road trip down to LA and back. No riding. Harrumph.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Bring your Bike to work..

along with your clothes and shoes. I'm lucky enough to have some nice trails on the way home.

Silence! I kill you!
    Thats what I did last year. I'd pack the bike and all my gear and head out to Saratoga Gap after work and get in a 2 1/2-3 hour ride. Now since I'm married and only have one car, I now commute on my SS, and there is a short hill that I climb up and down a few times for a workout.

I want to start hitting up the friday night ride at Henry Coe but the ride starts at 7pm, and my wife gets off work at 7:30-8pm

Rockcralwer53, are you paying attention to that last paragraph? (Hint, hint)

Or anyone else for that matters who wants to ride Coe at night.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    ...Or anyone else for that matters who wants to ride Coe at night.
    I'm up for Coe nite rides.....but it's gonna be awhile before I heal. I'll shoot you a PM when I'm less of a gimp

mtbr member

Totally man!!!

What gets me to the trail is just plain passion. I love being outdoors in the fresh air and getting a very nice workout. When I ride its usually me and the trail. Just having fun and doing something good for yourself is what motivates me a lot. Also riding with my buds is also a heck of a lot of fun. We keep pushing each other to go farther or just a little harder. I love riding!!!!
    Rockcralwer53, are you paying attention to that last paragraph? (Hint, hint)
    Why yes I am here and I see what you human wrote. Dude, if I didn't have work tonight I'd say lets go, but what can ya do. I think I smell a night ride coming up fairly soon though.
    Last edited by rockcrawler53; 06-02-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by scheckler
    opposite, Tom.... I have been not able to ride since the UCSC MBTB ride because of a "death cough" I have developed. I have sooooo much stress in my life right now that all I want to do is just ride but I can't Look for a Gray Heckler on EBay soon......
    No joke? you check for bronchitis? Get checked out if you haven't, seriously. Some things don't go away by themselves.

Not serious about the ebay i hope.

Silence! I kill you!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrawler53
    What gets me to the trail is just plain passion. I love being outdoors in the fresh air and getting a very nice workout. When I ride its usually me and the trail. Just having fun and doing something good for yourself is what motivates me a lot. Also riding with my buds is also a heck of a lot of fun. We keep pushing each other to go farther or just a little harder. I love riding!!!!

Why yes I am here and I see what you human wrote. Dude, if I didn't have work tonight I'd say lets go, but what can ya do. I think I smell a night ride coming up fairly soon though.
    Lets plan on next friday night- my PO should be gone by then. BTW, I made it up the wall on Monday
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Silence! I kill you!
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    I'm up for Coe nite rides.....but it's gonna be awhile before I heal. I'll shoot you a PM when I'm less of a gimp
    Cool. There is a good group of guys I ride with down there. About average pace on the climbs, but some of us like to scream down the hills. Nice thing about riding at night is you don't have to worry about crashing into someone on a switchback
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Dec 2004

Great Question

Set a Goal. Make riding part of your weekly regiment. In my case I made the mounth of May to ride every Tue/Thur nights for the hole month. When Tue/Thurs rolls around you automaticly suite up and hit the road or trails no matter what is going on. Ride first then deal with the other issues. Riding to work my help also.

The weekends. Going riding with my bros on the trails some where with a new challenge is good enough to get me going. Not to mention the passion of just being out on the trails like BB was saying is a good motivator. Stay fit is the other. It just feels soooo good.

Option 2. Walk in to your garage and start fittling with your bike. Grab your handle bars. If this does not work you need some serious help bro

Now get off your arse and go for a ride

Let's ride
    Lets plan on next friday night- my PO should be gone by then. BTW, I made it up the wall on Monday
    Which wall? Kennedy?

Let's ride
    I tried a few of these tricks today.
    Went and fiddled with the bike, changed the gearing on the SS. Tried to remind myself that i'm suppose to ride the new bike every day.
    Tried to set up a ride with 2 others earlier in the day. 1 bailed right out of the gate.
    Lukily, the 2nd called at 6pm and headed over.
    13mi and 2200ft later, we were fit to eat fat juicy burgers in town. Yummy.
    Thanks Jeff, you saved the day.

Silence! I kill you!
    Which wall? Kennedy?
    Its a section of the Lyman Wilson trail that we've nicknamed "The Wall". Its a section that looks like an insanely steep wall (its only about a 33-38% grade. It actually starts semi flat (flat by Coe standards) and gets steeper as you go up.

I've never gone up Kennedy, only Priest Rock & Overgrown. Sometime I'll drag my lazy butt up that hill.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    How do i get my bvtt out on the trail? Well I try not to. But I could see doing and endo and, as I go over the bars, a branch snags my shorts pulling them down to my knees and I land on my naked a$$ on the trail. That is about the only way I could see this happening.

fabricator

Getting out to ride

Great question

Coming from a pre-retirement stint, single with no kids, the transition to marriage, fatherhood and ultimately a reel( hook line and sinker) job seemed to spell impending doom for my trail riding passion.
    A few things I have done to get out of the house:

Schedule at least one hard and fast time slot that is a trail ride time for you by yourself or preferably with your buddies and stick to it.

Join a cycling club.

If you don't have the energy to spin a crank....do a hike on the trail. I find that a hike with the kid(s) in tow can be just as invigorating especially because I actually imagine that I am on my bike and I try out "new lines" in my head. It is not the same but you are keeping up your conditioning, exploring new territory and it actually make me anxious to ride the trail if I have scoped some new routes or technical train.

Work on your bikes....it keeps them in your mind so that they don't get caught in flurry of today's competing responsibilities.

Every once in a while ride with those that are more advanced then you to learn new things and challenge yourself....the converse is also true ride with someone that is a begginer and spread the stoke....who knows they may be your new impetus to get out there.

Hope this helps.
    Lost, confused, in debt.. shoes, shorts, helmet, bike, pedaling, directed, stoked. Up thehill now in GV
    ourjam

Members who have read this thread: 0