How do you decide what bike to get?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018

How do you decide what bike to get?

I am looking at a bike used, and I quite understand a good deal when I see one. I am unsure weather alloy bikes are worth it. Is an Older Year Yeti with XTR Full Factory Components, better than a 2019 Specialized Enduro Comp with Lyric Ultimate, Shimano XT, and Carbon wheels? I do not know. How do you guys buy used bikes? Especially alloy ones when the majority of the alloy framesets are 1.5K, and you can build a pretty good bike under 3K with new components and just a used fork. I know this is rambly I need some guidance.

mtbr member
    I buy bikes based off their geometry, sizing, and suspension characteristics. The last bike I bought because it was a good deal was a Megatower and I was never happy with it and it only lasted 3 months. If buying used, it definitely look for an alloy frame and wheels. Too many friends, myself included, have cracked carbon frames and wheels.

If you don’t know the exact reach, chain stay length, HTA, wheelbase, etc you want; the bid suggest buying the newest bike possible. Geo has changed so much so fast, and for me the “modern” geo works so much better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I buy bikes based off their geometry, sizing, and suspension characteristics. The last bike I bought because it was a good deal was a Megatower and I was never happy with it and it only lasted 3 months. If buying used, it definitely look for an alloy frame and wheels. Too many friends, myself included, have cracked carbon frames and wheels.

If you don’t know the exact reach, chain stay length, HTA, wheelbase, etc you want; the bid suggest buying the newest bike possible. Geo has changed so much so fast, and for me the “modern” geo works so much better.
    How does sizing work? I rode a medium frame at 5'9 from 2013. Todays Mediums are like yesterdays larges. I was considering on going up to a large. I am just worried that these long reaches feel uncomfortable

mtbr member
    You are still going to fit best on a medium. The bike will just be longer, lower, slacker, etc. Right now is not the best time to demo bikes considering I’m sure very few shops will let you rent them, but try to find a similar sized friend that has a bike from the last two years to get an idea on size and fit.

And FYI, SC bikes are super overpriced right now. My friend just sold his 2019 Bronson for $4200. A year ago he bought it brand new for $4000. I also sold my Megatower for $4500 with parts on it that were 2 years old.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleCarrot View Post
    How does sizing work? I rode a medium frame at 5'9 from 2013. Todays Mediums are like yesterdays larges. I was considering on going up to a large. I am just worried that these long reaches feel uncomfortable
    If you're pinning DH trails so hard that Crack/Mile are too easy then you definitely want a longer reach.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    You are still going to fit best on a medium. The bike will just be longer, lower, slacker, etc. Right now is not the best time to demo bikes considering I’m sure very few shops will let you rent them, but try to find a similar sized friend that has a bike from the last two years to get an idea on size and fit.

And FYI, SC bikes are super overpriced right now. My friend just sold his 2019 Bronson for $4200. A year ago he bought it brand new for $4000. I also sold my Megatower for $4500 with parts on it that were 2 years old.
    Yea I feel you. I sold my Santa Cruz Bronson Protoype/Mule 2013 for $2600. Here are the contenders for the next bike. I would love feedback from you guys.

1) 2019 Stumpjumper EVO (https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2745740/) [$3000 Shipped]

2) 2017 S-Works Enduro (https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2783059/) [$3000 Local Pickup]

3) 2016 Yeti SB5.5 (https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2725228/) [$3000 *3.5hr Drive]

4) Carbon Bronson V3 Lowest Tier Build

Cant do a 3K bike shoot out without these contenders:

5) RipMo AF (Heavy, Shitty NX, and I hate SRAM Brakes)

6) Privateer 161 (Bad Resale Value, Too Heavy, and too extreme geo)

What would be best for those Pacifica Climbs and Trails?

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    If you're pinning DH trails so hard that Crack/Mile are too easy then you definitely want a longer reach.
    Haha, I had used the wrong diction describing those trails. The first couple of times of riding Crack / Mile you have a sense of fear and awe of how impossible for someone to ride down. After you start consistently making it down, it loses that fear aspect to it. I was looking for trails that will bring back that instinctual and primal sense of fear. For example, I had started riding Mile at the dark. It is just the right amount of difficult and fun for me.

mtbr member
    Out of those contenders, #1 (Stumpy) is looking like the best option - it is a great bike, nicely spec'd and has carbon wheels and looks to be in pretty good condition, although it looks like it has possibly been ridden pretty hard and possibly crashed (dings on the front brake lever and handlebars) & all things being equal, I would rather buy my used bike from somebody who will not push it hard rather than somebody who works at a bike shop

Ripmo AF is always a good option, pretty easy to change out the brakes and NX isn't that bad

Also, don't know anything about Privateer

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Out of those contenders, #1 (Stumpy) is looking like the best option - it is a great bike, nicely spec'd and has carbon wheels and looks to be in pretty good condition, although it looks like it has possibly been ridden pretty hard and possibly crashed (dings on the front brake lever and handlebars) & all things being equal, I would rather buy my used bike from somebody who will not push it hard rather than somebody who works at a bike shop

Ripmo AF is always a good option, pretty easy to change out the brakes and NX isn't that bad

Also, don't know anything about Privateer
    Believe it or not, I had not caught those things. Do you think I should look for a carbon version of the bike? Or is this like a man you would be stupid not to jump on it.

mtbr member
    Hard to say - under normal circumstances, I would probably say that is just a pretty good deal, not a screamin' good deal, but it does seem like it is a big time seller's market and he will probably have no problem selling that bike for 3K, so it really just depends on how patient you can be - the nice thing about that bike is that it is dialed in and looks ready to ride - I do think you should be able to find a pretty badass bike around the $3K range if you are patient though

I would also put YT Jeffsy on your contender list - maybe even Capra as well, but that is a bit too much bike for me personally

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Hard to say - under normal circumstances, I would probably say that is just a pretty good deal, not a screamin' good deal, but it does seem like it is a big time seller's market and he will probably have no problem selling that bike for 3K, so it really just depends on how patient you can be - the nice thing about that bike is that it is dialed in and looks ready to ride - I do think you should be able to find a pretty badass bike around the $3K range if you are patient though

I would also put YT Jeffsy on your contender list - maybe even Capra as well, but that is a bit too much bike for me personally
    Yea, completely a seller's market. At the end of the day is that bike worth $550 more than my 2013 Carbon Bronson Mule?

orthonormal
    Why do you think the Privateer 161 would have bad resale value? The monkeys flinging poo in the PB comments section love that bike. You'd have no problem getting rid of it.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Why would you think the Privateer would have bad resale value? The monkeys flinging poo in the PB comments section love Privateer. You'd have no problem getting rid of it in the PB classifieds.
    For me good resale value means reselling for more than what I paid for it. For example, my Bronson I sold it for 160% more than it cost me, and the same with the downhill bike. So for me, resale value means, more than what I pay for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleCarrot View Post
    For me good resale value means reselling for more than what I paid for it. For example, my Bronson I sold it for 160% more than it cost me, and the same with the downhill bike. So for me, resale value means, more than what I pay for it.
    Mile is easy, used bikes worth more than new... what world do you live in sir?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I bought my biked used, and sold it for more than what i bought it. I did some shred negotiation and found this:

2019 Transition Patrol Aluminum for $3000 [https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2813379/]

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Buy them all. For Norcal you need 1. Short travel trail bike 2. Hardtail 3. Gravel bike. Depending on your riding style 4 enduro or downhill bike. 5. dirt jumper

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Buy them all. For Norcal you need 1. Short travel trail bike 2. Hardtail 3. Gravel bike. Depending on your riding style 4 enduro or downhill bike. 5. dirt jumper
    Itd be great to have that much funding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Got them all, only ride one (short travel trail)

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Would the EVO be too Agressive for Pacifica, UCSC, and Tahoe trails? Or perfect for those types of trails?

mtbr member
    Stumpy Evo would be perfect for all that. And you can go demo one right now in SC at the Specialized demo center:
    https://www.specializedsantacruz.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Stumpy Evo would be perfect for all that. And you can go demo one right now in SC at the Specialized demo center:
    https://www.specializedsantacruz.com/
    Would you go with a 29er version of the bike?