Hope all are OK and not from Crestmoor, San Bruno Fire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hope all are OK and not from Crestmoor, San Bruno Fire

Best wishes and prayers - to the families and friends
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

WWYD?
    Its a gas explosion. Dang, houses are burned to the sticks.

I like mtn biking, too
    Blood Centers of the Pacific desperately need Type O Neg Blood tomorrow a.m.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Silence! I kill you!
    Radio feed from San Mateo Cty Fire & Calfire. They've reported one person DOA in the street/sidewalk on Claremont dr

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/a...=wp&feedId=473
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

I like mtn biking, too
    Just watching the images here - live feed:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ula&id=7659529

So devastating.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

WWYD?
    At least 15 dead. RIP.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *Can we merge the two threads please?

re: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=650215

Not looking good there, but it *could have been worse. Looks like a bomb was dropped.

"State of Emergency" declared.
    Last edited by Obi; 09-10-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Buzz Cut..got a viewable map we can put up in here? Evac's are basing out of Bayhill Shopping Center @ San Bruno Ave. and Cherry, just east of the San Bruno exit off of HWY 35/Skyline. Hwy 35 is shut down in the area..consider reroute via 101 to reach evac site. (No access between Sneath and San Bruno Ave on Hwy35.)

Here's what I have right now:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...f028876f7ac427
    Last edited by Obi; 09-09-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Resident Curmudgeon
    just checking in

Every available Cal Fire engine and crew From San Mateo, Santa Cruz and Santa Clara responded. County Fire is covering the Cal Fire Stations until Cal Fire can get units from other parts of the state [that be me and a whole lot of other folks].
    confirmed info
    1 dead
    8 with critical burns
    24 with non critical burns
    75 with other injuries
    55 homes destroyed
    150+ homes damaged
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    my duaghter's day care is within less a mile from there.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by lamdman1976
    my duaghter's day care is within less a mile from there.
    When I attended Monte Verde Elementary my day care was there.

Buzz Cut..got a viewable map we can put up in here? Evac's are basing out of Bayhill Shopping Center @ San Bruno Ave. and Cherry, just east of the San Bruno exit off of HWY 35/Skyline. Hwy 35 is shut down in the area..consider reroute via 101 to reach evac site. (No access between Sneath and San Bruno Ave on Hwy35.)

Here's what I have right now:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...f028876f7ac427

Resident Curmudgeon
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut
    just checking in

Volunteer stats and contact points if I or anyone else decides to head up?

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi
    Volunteer stats and contact points if I or anyone else decides to head up?
    they were asking for blood donors to call the blood centers of the Pacific and all off duty medical personnel to report to Seton Medical Center in Daly City

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut
    they were asking for blood donors to call the blood centers of the Pacific and all off duty medical personnel to report to Seton Medical Center in Daly City
    Thanks Buzz for chiming in. FWIW Seton's the big white building above Serramonte, the one from Trapper John M.D.?
    Last edited by Obi; 09-10-2010 at 12:03 AM.

XC = fewer broken bones
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the post info Shredchic ( and Buzz Cut), I'll be sure to drop off some of my "recycled" 0-neg blood tmw. I've been meaning to give blood earlier.

My prayers go out to all affected !

I can't imagine being in the wrong place at the wrong time or living in an area on the front line next to a major gas line explosion like that. Awful. Wish there were less disasters and more positive Sully incidents.

I'm in for donating a few bike related items. Can we contact a local bike shop and put together something for family's, especially with kids, that lost everything and maybe experiencing economic hardships on top of everything?

I just tried logging into Blood Centers of the Pacific (12am Friday) @ www.bloodcenters.org and its down due to the overwhelming number of people trying to make appointments.

update: the Blood Center site referred people to www.bloodheros.com to make an appointment or find a local blood drive.

1am update (i really should be asleep brain barely functioning): how to say this...1st I don't want to take away a) from the intent of this post and today's tragedy or b) the importance of giving blood, but my conscience would be bothering me if I didn't add the following information especially after the blood center links above, but anyone considering giving blood check out this yelp.com info on Blood Centers of Pacific http://www.yelp.com/biz/blood-center...fic-cupertino; Yea I know it may not be a representative sampling, but out of the 2010 entries there was a pattern of donors complaining about constant calls; When I go I think I'll say I don't have a number to be reached at. If someone has knowledge and can add helpful / additional information (maybe an alternative place to donate besides those listed in the ABC news link below) about this, without changing the scope of the this threads purpose (or maybe we should start another thread on this) please pass it on if it will help the donor process/reduce concerns.

Also, here is some blood donor info regarding the explosion from ABC news: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...cal&id=7659799. Please note the phone number correction in the comment section.
    Last edited by Xc California Scorpio; 09-10-2010 at 01:24 AM.

I like mtn biking, too
    Yeah, I had trouble getting onto their website, too. That's a good thing. Nice that there is a strong response.

That's a great idea, XC - I'd be willing to donate bike gear, for those families affected, if there is a need. We just need someone with the capacity/facilities to organize something.
    ~Fairfaxian

WWYD?

Here's the location

I got this from reports and matching up the burning streets on tv with the google map. This is a major tragedy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hope all are OK and not from Crestmoor, San Bruno Fire-sanbrunofire.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow just got home from work in the ER in SLO and saw that this had happened. What a nightmare for everyone. Prayers go out to all those who have suffered and to those who are helping out.

You plan for something like this in the ER...but no matter how much you plan you are never ready....
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    I grew up in that area....off College Dr. which is one exit north of Sneath. I must have driven up Sneath lane thousands of times....sat at the intersection of Sneath and HWY 35 thousands of times....passed those homes thousands of times. So sad. Scary. Can't imagine what it's like for those affected. Makes me so mad when I hear news that people have been reporting gas odors for the past week! Or why it took so long for them to admit it was a gas leak. Granted initially, PG&E didn't know if it was their gas line or not (read that there are 4 carriers in that area), but still. People are dying or were already dead...peoples' lives are being destroyed and you hear company spokespersons trying to deny liability.

All I could think about was if this was my parent's house and how your lives can be instantly destroyed......

mtbr member
    I just saw a picture of a close friend's mother's house. Gone! She came out of the house after the explosion only to learn the house was on fire! She babysits her grandson who was just picked up some five minutes prior. She had just enough time to get out. My wife considers her family and she is the nicest woman you could meet. Hopefully we can visit her this weekend to give emotional suport.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This is insanity. I feel so horribly sad for all

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    I'm starting to wonder why it [the pipe] did that. Either it's b/c all of those places were built in the 50's, and maybe it was old-school rolled/welded pipe and the seam went bad, or something else like a standard pipe w/ a corrosion blowout.

That entire area'a a leech field for the reservior, heck, goto the soccer fields above Monte Verde Elementary, half the time it's puddled out, not including the homes that fell victim to sink holes through the 80's, like along Westborough. Add in all the rain from this year w/ the Crystal Springs Reservoir at full capacity and that leeching really starts to happen.

Maybe the leeching had started to corrode the pipes or some underground slipping and erosion started to expedite things and PG&E wasn't inspecting and fixing in due dilligence like in So-Cal where they were found to be at fault?

Then there's the question of when the last real inspection was performed, as in, ground sonar and/or a P.I.G. ran through the lines for sonar and visual mapping.

Either way, I am a little past sadness and really starting in on the anger part, all while trying to to visibly and verbally show it.

*At least Edison Power is held accountable..even then what are our bureaucrats doing as far as oversight?

PG&E's not making me happy lately between the drama and stupidity of the new meters and this b.s.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.[/rant]

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Glenview @ Earl--recent excavation work done on the asphalt. Look at it zoomed in all the way on Google Maps with the satellite image turned on. A square-ish shape of new asphalt, several feet away from the blast epicenter. Coincidence? Or just shoddy subcontractor work?
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Glenview @ Earl--recent excavation work done on the asphalt. Look at it zoomed in all the way on Google Maps with the satellite image turned on. A square-ish shape of new asphalt, several feet away from the blast epicenter. Coincidence? Or just shoddy subcontractor work?
    News addressed that it was a water main repair and no contact was made to the gas line at all.

Whatever way it gets spun, someone needs to be held accountable for this b/c it's just a matter of time before it happens along the same line route.

Remember some years back when all the power distribution blocks ala sub station relays that were underground in S.F. started smoking, catching fire, heck some even exploded, add to that a bunch of transformers blowing up on the Peninsula and over in Hayward and who does the finger point to?

Of course, I must have forgotten who is liable and responsible for maintaining those things...

What's that company's name again? PG&E isn't it?

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi
    News addressed that it was a water main repair and no contact was made to the gas line at all.

Whatever way it gets spun, someone needs to be held accountable for this b/c it's just a matter of time before it happens along the same line route.

Remember some years back when all the power distribution blocks ala sub station relays that were underground in S.F. started smoking, catching fire, heck some even exploded, add to that a bunch of transformers blowing up on the Peninsula and over in Hayward and who does the finger point to?

Of course, I must have forgotten who is liable and responsible for maintaining those things...

What's that company's name again? PG&E isn't it?
    PG&E has been using subcontracting companies to do their “lesser” jobs for them. For example, the “smart” meters they installed into our townhouse complex were installed by a subcontractor who worked for some other company. I hate to point fingers at PG&E, but I have noticed several drivers of their vehicles lately doing illegal stuff (large trucks, mind you) such as blowing through right turns on red, erratic lane changes with NO turn signals, and cutting across several lanes of traffic from the fast lane to their exit while talking on a non-hands-free cellphone. They claim that they are trying to be “more green”, unfortunately, they are putting people’s safety into the red. I wouldn’t be surprised if their cost-cutting measures somewhere along the line has lead to deaths.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    I'm sure PG&E will respond as they have in the past - propose and fund an initiative which limits their liability for damages due to gas pipe explosions. That's their MO, right? Much easier than spending that money on inspections (or training of inspectors to do it properly).

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick
    I'm sure PG&E will respond as they have in the past - propose and fund an initiative which limits their liability for damages due to gas pipe explosions. That's their MO, right? Much easier than spending that money on inspections (or training of inspectors to do it properly).
    All the more reason to go with solar panels and try to get off of the grid these days.

Make PG&E start working for you and paying you.

Silence! I kill you!
    So a little OT, but I'm pretty tired of PG&E. I read an article today saying that PG&E submitted a report that they needed to raise rates so they could replace the old pipes in the ground (such as that one). Yet they have like what, $40 million in spare change to put into a proposition?
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Just wondering -- I saw in the Chronicle a little while ago (maybe last week?) that explained all the settlements PG&E is paying for. How's the neighborhood doing?
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Members who have read this thread: 0