Captain One Lung Administrator

Hoot Trail - Nevada City Preview Ride

For those interested in checking it out Jeni did a preview ride. You can see plenty of cool side hits. Even after the proposed dumbing down of the doubles it will still be a lot of fun.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Ohh and it was done with our brand new gimbal so it's a bit crooked. I got it figured out after the ride. *rolls eyes*

mtbr member
    Looks really fun. Might give it a shot middle of next week on my way to Truckee if I can drum up the free time.

This trail brings up a thought I had last summer about doubles after separating my shoulder. Perhaps some sort of standardized jump labeling system (single, double, size, etc) would benefit those who ride blind frequently, like myself. I don't know if it's a painted rock or what, but I don't really want to go around or stop to inspect every single jump, especially as I'm not likely to return frequently to the same trail network. Maybe there already is a system in place like this (resorts, of course), but just a suggestion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Looks really fun. Might give it a shot middle of next week on my way to Truckee if I can drum up the free time.

This trail brings up a thought I had last summer about doubles after separating my shoulder. Perhaps some sort of standardized jump labeling system (single, double, size, etc) would benefit those who ride blind frequently, like myself. I don't know if it's a painted rock or what, but I don't really want to go around or stop to inspect every single jump, especially as I'm not likely to return frequently to the same trail network. Maybe there already is a system in place like this (resorts, of course), but just a suggestion.
    Just let go of the brakes and hope there is a landing on the other side.

mtbr member
    Hah, that doesn't work for 40 year olds with limited skills. Maybe in my next life. 😁

mtbr member
    Nothing will change on how Hoot rides, only perception. You'll just have a table instead of a gap.

mtbr member
    Tempted, but didnt watch. I wanna see it in person for the first time. I might just head up there tomorrow...

It starts across from Scotts drop, yea? Easy enough to find based on that?

And I read on a different thread that Scotts is still swampy at the bottom? True story?
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
    Nothing will change on how Hoot rides, only perception. You'll just have a table instead of a gap.
    Perfect! If that makes me lame, sorry.

Safety Consultant
    In the process of buying a second home right near there...cannot wait to try it out!
    I'm here to kick ass and drink beer. Looks like we're all out of beer. -- Gandhi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Tempted, but didnt watch. I wanna see it in person for the first time. I might just head up there tomorrow...

It starts across from Scotts drop, yea? Easy enough to find based on that?
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/hoot-trail-88696/

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hello. May I please know after I completed the hoot trail ride. Should I make a right turn that may possible lead me back to pioneer trial? I made a left turn that lead me back to the store front. But I want to back to the pioneer trail. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
    Hello. May I please know after I completed the hoot trail ride. Should I make a right turn that may possible lead me back to pioneer trial? I made a left turn that lead me back to the store front. But I want to back to the pioneer trail. Thanks
    You can get to Pioneer Trail from both directions. If you turn left (as you did) when you get to the top of Rock Creek Rd. cross to the south side of Hwy. 20 and hop on to the trail that parallels it. When you get back to the market you are at the Pioneer Trail. If you turn right at the bottom of Hoot there are a number of ways to get back. Download an app like Trailforks to your smartphone and you'll be able to see some. The simplest is just to follow Rock Creek Rd. (stay right at the fork) up to Conservation Camp Rd. Turn right or hop on the Pfeiffer Trail on the east side of it to get back to Pioneer. Other options for getting back are a little more complicated with choices like the Zig Zag (aka Zipper) and Dascombe/Meyer Trail networks. A few of those trails are on Trailforks but not every single one of them. The basic network is well signed but there are some use trails that can make it confusing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks. So the paved road is called rock creek road? I have t mobile and had no signal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
    Thanks. So the paved road is called rock creek road? I have t mobile and had no signal.
    That's why to get the Trailforks app. You don't need a signal to use it. It's free you just need a Pink Bike account which is free. And yes, that's the name of the road. Not to be confused with the Rock Creek Rd. that is a Nevada County road between N. Bloomfield and Purdon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Upper portions of the switchbacks are giving way. I almost washed out a couple of times each run.
    Use caution.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It is a nice option but, I think it is overrated IMO... Scotts Drop is longer and more fun, when dry at the bottom, plus no horse conflicts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I haven't seen a horse on it ever. I'm not sure why anyone would want to chance riding a horse on it with bikes coming down it.
    I wish they would make it a one way though, riding up it against traffic disrupts the flow. But you can get three runs in and still not have to climb as far as you do out of Scott's Drop.
    For a hour drive it's a nice trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Calman_06 View Post
    I haven't seen a horse on it ever. I'm not sure why anyone would want to chance riding a horse on it with bikes coming down it.
    I wish they would make it a one way though, riding up it against traffic disrupts the flow. But you can get three runs in and still not have to climb as far as you do out of Scott's Drop.
    If you like that side of Highway 20, then ride Hoots and once you hit Rock Creek Road, hang a right and climb for about 15 minutes til you start to level off and see some power lines crossing the road and a dirt road. Turn left and you'll hit a trail with some mild rollers for about a 1/4 mile then a marker to turn left. Head down that trail and you'll find a nice single track switch back trail that will bring you back to Rock Creek Road near the bottom of Hoots. I think Strava lists it as the Zipper Trail. But, with that side, you might run into a horse depending on when you go....

stop...safety first
    Quote Originally Posted by Calman_06 View Post
    Horses have trashed this trail, even removed a few small jumps. They definitely shouldn't use this trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5krnr View Post
    If you like that side of Highway 20, then ride Hoots and once you hit Rock Creek Road, hang a right and climb for about 15 minutes til you start to level off and see some power lines crossing the road and a dirt road. Turn left and you'll hit a trail with some mild rollers for about a 1/4 mile then a marker to turn left. Head down that trail and you'll find a nice single track switch back trail that will bring you back to Rock Creek Road near the bottom of Hoots. I think Strava lists it as the Zipper Trail. But, with that side, you might run into a horse depending on when you go....
    Last year we did as you mentioned. We found the zipper trail. Itís a nice trail, we did come across some horses which was no problem. Havenít been back to riding since my cancer treatment early this year but I hope to regain strength and be back next year.
    Itís a nice route and we will ride it again.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk