Hole-in-the-Ground Notice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Hole-in-the-Ground Notice

Important Hole-in-the-Ground Notice

"This email is being sent to as many mountain bicyclists as possible to spread the word about a parking problem at the lower trailhead for Hole In The Ground Trail & Lower Lola Montez trailhead near the Soda Springs Fire Station.

The Forest Service describes the situation as follows: Recently, the land owner just past the trailhead called the Truckee Ranger District. He has a contracting business and uses large/heavy equipment - on weekends when trailhead parking is at its peak he can't get to his residence. As you know, we park on both sides of the road - apparently this makes it impossible for the property owner to get through. The problem area exists at the corner just past/east of the trailhead sign.

The Truckee Ranger District asks us to spread the word to not park on either side of the road past the trailhead sign going east? The RD is working with the county to get "no parking signs" put up and then enforced.

The RD was told by the landowner that the response he has gotten back from bicyclists is rude and confrontational. The RD hopes we can work this out and understands it is probably a small number of users, but it immediately gives the entire user group a black-eye when foul language and bad attitudes are presented.

I bet the homeowner is frustrated. I bet some trail users are frustrated, too. I think there is room to work on this in a positive way. When in doubt take the high road.

Relayed by Jim & Cathy Haagen-Smit
    IMBA Reps - Northern CA
    Long Live Long Rides - http://www.imba.com "

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Thamks for the info

Hole in the Ground is my most frequent ride since I live about three miles away. Yeah, that road is pretty packed on weekends.

Kapusta.

Crazy Dutch Bastard

How about...

...just parking on the other side of I-80? The parking lot between the gas station and Summit restaurant has plenty of space...I rode HITG last weekend and did just that; no problemo!

Anyway, thanks for the notice.