Hole In The Ground- Mtbr.com
    pewpewpew Moderator

Hole In The Ground

I'm thinking of going up there on Saturday or Saturday. Anyone else interested, let me know.

mtbr member
    I would be interested in a Saturday ride, if you don't mind a newbie tagging along. I will promise not to slow the rest of the group down.

Where is this place?

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    I would be interested in a Saturday ride, if you don't mind a newbie tagging along. I will promise not to slow the rest of the group down.

Where is this place?
    Its in the Sierras near the Boreal Ski resort. Its technical and at altitude, so it hurts more than your usual 14 mile ride, but it is fun. Takes a few hours to get to. Check out the trail review section.

mtbr member

Hmmm

Technical may be too much. I am a fairly strong rider, but still need some time on the mountain bike to learn how to negotiate the obstacles.

I have found that I enjoy riding my bike more than walking it, especially if I am going to drive two hours to do it. Most likely I will stay near home Saturday and ride Black Diamond instead.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=EBrider]Technical may be too much. I am a fairly strong rider, but still need some time on the mountain bike to learn how to negotiate the obstacles.

I have found that I enjoy riding my bike more than walking it, especially if I am going to drive two hours to do it. Most likely I will stay near home Saturday and ride Black Diamond instead.[/QUOTE

You sound like you are about the same place I am in terms of riding ability
    (I'll probably regret that) Where is local? I'm in forestville and am always looking for a new place to ride. Getting a little tired of having to drive over to Annadell to ride dirt.
    Is Black Diamond in Annadell?

mtbr member
    Black Diamond is in the east bay.

http://www.ebparks.org/parks/black.htm

I ride it because it is close to home more than anything. Always open to new locations though.

mtbr member
    Black Diamond is in the east bay.

http://www.ebparks.org/parks/black.htm

I ride it because it is close to home more than anything. Always open to new locations though.
    Anywhere near Danville? A good buddy of mine had ridden all over the Danville area
    and say there is (used to be, it's been about 8 yrs) killer singletrack down there.
    I shouldn't whine, I'm lucky to have a place like Annadell close by. Always looking
    for the new trail.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    I'm thinking of going up there on Saturday or Saturday. Anyone else interested, let me know.
    Sounds tempting ... what time do you plan to hit the trail?

MTBR.com Addict
    Technical may be too much. I am a fairly strong rider, but still need some time on the mountain bike to learn how to negotiate the obstacles.

I have found that I enjoy riding my bike more than walking it, especially if I am going to drive two hours to do it. Most likely I will stay near home Saturday and ride Black Diamond instead.
    I might be tempted to hookup with you. How is Sunday for you? My Saturday is already shot with work waiting for me.

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtrees
    Sounds tempting ... what time do you plan to hit the trail?
    early-ish. Must be back in civilization (pager range) by 5 oclock. So, 9 or so.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    early-ish. Must be back in civilization (pager range) by 5 oclock. So, 9 or so.
    Will know for sure tonight ... where to meet?

Should be able to get there in about 3 hrs from the Bay Area, do you think?

pewpewpew Moderator
    Will know for sure tonight ... where to meet?

Should be able to get there in about 3 hrs from the Bay Area, do you think?
    Probably less. Mapquest claims something like 2 hours 38 minutes from the east bay.

We should meet at the service station at the soda springs entrance at 9 am or so. Call me, I will PM you my #. There are 3 of us so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

how are the trails at black diamond mines? i've gone on a tour there with my wife but have never ridden there....stick further south in the east bay mostly--briones, lime ridge, diablo foothills, etc. i'm going somewhere in the east bay tomorrow, probably late morning as my son has an 8am soccer game in concord...

Caca pasa

Be sure to wave.

You may see us on the freeway on our way to Auburn, but you should be ahead of us. If you see us, you're probably late. Or we're early, but I wouldn't count on that, as JFR will be in the group.

Maybe I can convince them to continue on up the road and catch up to you...

Take lots of pics!

fp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 08-22-2004 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Goddamn it!!!!!
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    how are the trails at black diamond mines? i've gone on a tour there with my wife but have never ridden there....stick further south in the east bay mostly--briones, lime ridge, diablo foothills, etc. i'm going somewhere in the east bay tomorrow, probably late morning as my son has an 8am soccer game in concord...
    I come at black diamond from the Clayton side as I live next to the trail head near the golf course. There are plenty of climbs and some parts are very sandy. There is no legal singletrack, but some of the fireroad is a little more technical than other areas I have riden.

Dec 2003
    I come at black diamond from the Clayton side as I live next to the trail head near the golf course. There are plenty of climbs and some parts are very sandy. There is no legal singletrack, but some of the fireroad is a little more technical than other areas I have riden.
    ...and there is some surprisingly good singletrack tucked away in the park, amidst the miles and miles of lameass fireroad.

Just remember that road bikes are illegal on the singletrack.

Near the golf course, eh? Me too. This is the view of the top of the initial climb from my son's bedroom, taken a few minutes ago. I don't see any riders though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    ...and there is some surprisingly good singletrack tucked away in the park, amidst the miles and miles of lameass fireroad.

Near the golf course, eh? Me too. This is the view of the top of the initial climb from my son's bedroom, taken a few minutes ago. I don't see any riders though.

I had planned on riding it yesterday, but went up Mitchell Canyon instead. Let me know if you are interested in riding it sometime, I will take my mountain bike so you can show me some of that single track.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Great ride!

Impy, thanks for showing us that trail ... it truly has a little bit of everything. The buzz lasted for at least 24 hours! So are you going to post the pics?

If anybody ever asks you why you ride, I think the answer was on that ride ...

pewpewpew Moderator
    Impy, thanks for showing us that trail ... it truly has a little bit of everything. The buzz lasted for at least 24 hours! So are you going to post the pics?

If anybody ever asks you why you ride, I think the answer was on that ride ...
    Heh I will try and post what few I have tonight. That was definitely one of those rides though where i was very busy riding and not too busy with the camera. Trying to keep up with you guys was tough, you are wicked on the downhill sections!

I'm already plotting Return to HITG before the snow comes

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete

Okay Pete, you made me laugh. Next time somebody asks me "did you see the sign that says no bikes" I am going to answer, "oh, I thought that meant you shouldn't try to ride a road bike through here."

BTW, did that climb outside your son's window several years ago. You want to talk about boring riding, that trail was it.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    Okay Pete, you made me laugh. Next time somebody asks me "did you see the sign that says no bikes" I am going to answer, "oh, I thought that meant you shouldn't try to ride a road bike through here."

BTW, did that climb outside your son's window several years ago. You want to talk about boring riding, that trail was it.
    I rode it today because I only had a short time. They cleared it off enough that you probably could ride a road bike up it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    do you mean the entrance over by oakhurst? i've climbed up in there once, not sure what happens when you get towards the top....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    do you mean the entrance over by oakhurst? i've climbed up in there once, not sure what happens when you get towards the top....
    Yes, that entrance. About 2 miles down the road, the top of the hill, there is an entrance to the Black Diamond Mines Park. The entrance is to the right, otherwise you stay on fireroad.

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    You should have LOVED it! It's VERY Briones-esque. It's especially lameass now since it's been graded. Mid-Winter it sports some nice 3' deep ruts.

But at least it leads to some fun riding, decent scenery and an area that is stuffed full of history.

...and when the fireroads have been Brionesized, it's a good time to cruise around on the cross bike and freak out the saddle bag crowd.