mtbr member
    Jan 2008

High School Roadie needs bike recommendations

My Saturday morning ride out of Santa Clara is usually on road and the age of everyone in the group has been 45+ for a long time. We were joined by a 15 yr old earlier this year, and this kid can hang with a good pace up all the hills in valley (Hamilton, Sierra, Page Mill,..). He had also been riding the velodrome and w/ SJBC before joining us.

A few of us old farts want get him to come out on the trail, and maybe get him to join a NICA High School composite team. He's willing to try getting on the trail, but his budget is limited (<$1K). The guys in the my group would lend him a ride if we could but we're all under 5'9, and this kid is 6'4 (130 lbs)!

Any recommendations? Buy used?

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I could get him on a medium heirloom (26er) Ibis HD for cheap. Send me a pm!

Edit: Sorry- I skimmed that and saw 5'9". Good luck! Regardless, I would get him a good used full squish (nobody "needs" to learn on a hardtail).
    Last edited by dirtvert; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:56 PM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

Moderator Moderator
    I'd look for a new entry level hardtail. I've ridden the Giant Fathom, it's a pretty solid value at that price point.

Best Mountain Bikes Under $1000- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    29er hardtail based on his budge, height, beginner status. If he buys used (and knows how to avoid lemons) he can get a much better bike that's a few years old than if he bought new. Craigslist, Ebay, Pinkbike, etc. Unfortunately, the MTBR classifieds are clunky.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for responses. I like that MTBR article, it's exactly what he was looking for.

I checked craigslist as well, but it must be slow day for bikes in this price range. Lots of premium rides to choose from.

Would a $1000 used 2015 Niner Jet 9 , MSRP $3699, be any better than a new 2018 $1k bike?
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...728646706.html

Moderator Moderator

High School Roadie needs bike recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by normonster View Post
    Thanks for responses. I like that MTBR article, it's exactly what he was looking for.

I checked craigslist as well, but it must be slow day for bikes in this price range. Lots of premium rides to choose from.

Would a $1000 used 2015 Niner Jet 9 , MSRP $3699, be any better than a new 2018 $1k bike?
    Would a Large fit him?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yes, but I doubt that it's big enough.

Edit: great minds. But it's probably close enough to make it worth a trip to sit/ride.

Moderator Moderator
    If he is going to get into NICA racing a 29er hardtail would be the way to go. Maybe contact the guys at Black Mountain, SF Composite, and Woodside Beasts teams and see if they have any used bikes for sale? If he joins one of those teams they may have a discount at a local shop?

Black Mountain Composite - Black Mountain Composite

Woodside Beasts | Composite High School Mountain Bike Team

https://sfcomposite.org/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Great feedback. Thanks all!

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    As noted above, the local composite team nearest him will help source a bike especially if hes a strong rider and seems committed. But act now! The teams are recruiting and forming up for next season right now and loaner bikes are being arranged right now on many teams.

If no loaner bike is available, then a sub-$500 29er hardtail is fine for a new rider. I know a professional XC racer who started in high school on a used Trek 4500, purchased for less than $300. That bike sparked his love for the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Tell him to get a job at a local bike shop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by normonster View Post

I ride a bike older than that but you can figure he will have to put some money into it right away. Says the shock is rebuilt but I am sure the fork will need work. Probably cables, brakes tires etc. Those bars will definitely not "get you killed in Downieville" but may need an upgrade. I think my thumbs could touch on those.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    Tell him to get a job at a local bike shop
    Good advice for many reasons. My neighbor's kid worked at a local shop and got some really good employee discounts on all his bikes, and learned so much more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Too bad Calmar is no longer around, but Summit is right there. A good option for him.