Here we go...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Here we go...

Jun 2004

Here we go...

Well this 35 year old ex-smoker just bought a new bike and is going to attempt to hit Briones this afternoon. This should be very interesting! New rig, and completely out of shape. So sad since I used to bike Briones every day and hit Diablo on the weekends. If you are in Briones this afternoon and see me, just point and laugh! LOL!

mtbr member

Lmao!

That's funny! Have fun at Briones - I haven't been there for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by webshot
    Well this 35 year old ex-smoker just bought a new bike and is going to attempt to hit Briones this afternoon. This should be very interesting! New rig, and completely out of shape. So sad since I used to bike Briones every day and hit Diablo on the weekends. If you are in Briones this afternoon and see me, just point and laugh! LOL!

pewpewpew Moderator
    Good luck! That's a brutal one to hit when you're not in shape. Personally i'd go for the Diablo Foothills If I'm there today though I will wave. What ride are you on?

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Good luck! That's a brutal one to hit when you're not in shape. Personally i'd go for the Diablo Foothills If I'm there today though I will wave. What ride are you on?
    I just picked up an Epic FS rig.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Welcome back to the grove. Briones a tough way to get back into it. Try not to cough up a lung while you're out there. Those hills are tough (for me) when in shape.

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wg
    Welcome back to the grove. Briones a tough way to get back into it. Try not to cough up a lung while you're out there. Those hills are tough (for me) when in shape.

Werner

Briones is my old stomping grounds. I know it well so I always go there. I'm actually starting to get real excited about it! It will be fun to be back!

Thanks

pewpewpew Moderator
    I'm on a blue titus. I climb up the martinez side.

Speaking of martinez, we had a helluva fire last week. A friend and I rode up there along the california riding and hiking trail (also a big grunt) on Monday to check out the scorching and the cows. The cows were fine, they say moo. There's a wicked ST downhill there too. Brakes were smoking instead of the hills.

Jun 2004
    I'm on a blue titus. I climb up the martinez side.

Speaking of martinez, we had a helluva fire last week. A friend and I rode up there along the california riding and hiking trail (also a big grunt) on Monday to check out the scorching and the cows. The cows were fine, they say moo. There's a wicked ST downhill there too. Brakes were smoking instead of the hills.

I also use the Martinez side. Where was the fire at? was it up near "Table Top"? Cows are cool! Cows act stupid but they know when to run from fire!

pewpewpew Moderator
    I also use the Martinez side. Where was the fire at? was it up near "Table Top"? Cows are cool! Cows act stupid but they know when to run from fire!
    This was not in briones, but near old martinez. Behind the muir house is a trail called the hiking and riding trail which climbs up on the ridge that runs along highway four and eventually goes to the water near carquinez strait. 250 acres burned last week, mainly grass but one house was totalled and a few others damaged. This trail runs right through the burned area. Its fire road except for a few short trails near the water, including the really steep one. It makes a good short workout.

Jun 2004
    This was not in briones, but near old martinez. Behind the muir house is a trail called the hiking and riding trail which climbs up on the ridge that runs along highway four and eventually goes to the water near carquinez strait. 250 acres burned last week, mainly grass but one house was totalled and a few others damaged. This trail runs right through the burned area. Its fire road except for a few short trails near the water, including the really steep one. It makes a good short workout.
    Ah ok, yea I heard about that fire on the radio but I could not figure out where the fire was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey, have a great ride, wish i could join you but i'm travelling this week. i live right near briones in lafayette and ride there often. hooked up with impy there last week, we had a good ride and i'm always looking for others to ride with.

Jun 2004
    Well folks,

The bike performed flawlessly but the operator is another story. I decided to take it easy on myself since it's been a LONG while since I last rode. I parked up at the upper entrance on the Martinez side and went up to Briones Peak. I did a lot better than I thought I would, but damn I'm felling it today! I only got off and walked the bike once on the real steep section going up from Table Top (but I felt guilty doing it!) Of course coming back down is an incredible experience.

I had so much fun that I am still kicking myself this morning for ever stopping to bike at all. What a rush. I think I still have a good endorphin buzz going! WOW!

I'm planning on doing it again on Friday. I'm in horrible shape and must keep pushing!

Hope to see you all up there!

Jun 2004
    Oh my bike is a silver Spec. Epic. if you do see me. My helmet is black.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Oh my bike is a silver Spec. Epic. if you do see me. My helmet is black.

Have fun friday ! I will be travelling.

I ran briones yesterday (?!) for variety. Dang there were a ton of bikes in the parking lot, including a very nice Moots. However I saw NOBODY up on the trails. Wierd.

I rode today - saw two people sans helmets otherwise no riders. I did see a coyote though. He looked as surprized as I felt.

Jun 2004
    Impy,

What trail do you prefer up there? Spengler perhaps?

Jun 2004
    Well things are looking up. I had a good friend of mine take me on a ride last Monday from his house on the Martinez side all the way to Lafayette via Briones Peak. We then headed back on surface streets to his house. Holly cow was I tired! This was great for pushing my body to the next level though! That following Wed. I did my little ride from the upper Martinez side staging/parking area to Briones Peak and stopped only once for a drink! It was a personal victory for me.

Heading up this afternoon to knock out a quick ride. I must get home before the Stargate SG1 season premier!

Peace, and watch for poison oak!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well things are looking up. I had a good friend of mine take me on a ride last Monday from his house on the Martinez side all the way to Lafayette via Briones Peak. We then headed back on surface streets to his house. Holly cow was I tired! This was great for pushing my body to the next level though! That following Wed. I did my little ride from the upper Martinez side staging/parking area to Briones Peak and stopped only once for a drink! It was a personal victory for me.

Heading up this afternoon to knock out a quick ride. I must get home before the Stargate SG1 season premier!

Peace, and watch for poison oak!
    hey, next time you are going up into briones or other local trails let me know. i'm probably taking my son out towards auburn tomorrow but would love to catch a ride maybe sunday morning or something...

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    hey, next time you are going up into briones or other local trails let me know. i'm probably taking my son out towards auburn tomorrow but would love to catch a ride maybe sunday morning or something...
    Good deal! You got it. I usually go there after work and arrive about 3:00pm Mon, Wed, and Fridays. I'm diefinetly going to try to ride this weekend also. I'll let you know when I get my schedule figured out. I'll post an update tonight.

Thanks

pewpewpew Moderator
    Impy,

What trail do you prefer up there? Spengler perhaps?
    I vary my route according to how i feel and how much time i have, but on a short day i'll clmb the creek trail to spengler then up to the briones peak. On a longer day i will veer right at the meadow and go down the other side then climb back up homestead/crest trail to table top and then down creek trail.

Also lately I have been climbing orchard then pine tree trail then up that fire road to the meadow instead of the creek trail. Cohen five showed me this one and I really like it, - it really gets the heart rate up and its single track!

Hella Olde
    Anyone feel like it's time to start carrying a knife or SOMETHING on solo rides in lion country? I've got the old Buck by my side in those circumstances and feeling like a
    bit of a redneck/survivalist/ne'er-do-well. I like to think I might be able to get a poke into the big cat (as much as I love them) as it drug me off, POSSIBLY saving my life.
    Otherwise, what chance do you have?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I vary my route according to how i feel and how much time i have, but on a short day i'll clmb the creek trail to spengler then up to the briones peak. On a longer day i will veer right at the meadow and go down the other side then climb back up homestead/crest trail to table top and then down creek trail.

Also lately I have been climbing orchard then pine tree trail then up that fire road to the meadow instead of the creek trail. Cohen five showed me this one and I really like it, - it really gets the heart rate up and its single track!
    from what i saw from our ride in briones it would take at least another 1000 feet of climbing to get your heart rate up!!

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40
    Anyone feel like it's time to start carrying a knife or SOMETHING on solo rides in lion country? I've got the old Buck by my side in those circumstances and feeling like a
    bit of a redneck/survivalist/ne'er-do-well. I like to think I might be able to get a poke into the big cat (as much as I love them) as it drug me off, POSSIBLY saving my life.
    Otherwise, what chance do you have?
    Well this is off subject a bit, but a knife is not going to help you against a Mt. Lion. They have five knives on each front paw and a mouth full of teeth that will go straight for your neck. besides the fact that they are so silent and quick that you would never see them coming. Good luck with that knife.

Jun 2004
    from what i saw from our ride in briones it would take at least another 1000 feet of climbing to get your heart rate up!!
    Are you saying that Impy is in really good shape? If this is the case, I'm not riding with Impy!

pewpewpew Moderator
    Are you saying that Impy is in really good shape? If this is the case, I'm not riding with Impy!
    Poopoo. I'm in good shape but I'm not super fast. On the last 2 group rides I did I was last. So, even if I happen to manage to beat someone up a hill, I have no issues with waiting. Cause others do it for me! And most beat me on the downhills anyway, I'm still trying to work on that. I suppose letting go of the brakes would help.

Anyway lets get a post work briones ride together.

Hella Olde
    Well this is off subject a bit, but a knife is not going to help you against a Mt. Lion. They have five knives on each front paw and a mouth full of teeth that will go straight for your neck. besides the fact that they are so silent and quick that you would never see them coming. Good luck with that knife.
    First, sorry for the off-topic detour, but Briones got me thinking. I agree that once the lion is on you, chances are slim, but recently someone punched one a few times while pinned down and lived to tell. Just a thought.

Jun 2004
    Poopoo. I'm in good shape but I'm not super fast. On the last 2 group rides I did I was last. So, even if I happen to manage to beat someone up a hill, I have no issues with waiting. Cause others do it for me! And most beat me on the downhills anyway, I'm still trying to work on that. I suppose letting go of the brakes would help.

Yes, Letting go of the brakes does help Impy!! LOLOL!

Jun 2004

I agree Impy! We need to get a ride going togther. That does sound like a lot of fun. It appears that CohenFive needs to get permission first though!

mtbr member
    First, sorry for the off-topic detour, but Briones got me thinking. I agree that once the lion is on you, chances are slim, but recently someone punched one a few times while pinned down and lived to tell. Just a thought.
    Where was that? I'm not partial to mountain lions.

Jun 2004
    Interesting thought that could open a whole thread on it's own. Lets think about this for a minute: We (Humans) encroach on the Mountain Lions Habitat everyday, yet we feel threatened by it and must kill them for it. The Mountain Lion is just trying to survive in what little habitat it has left that has not been converted into housing subdivisions or a parking lot. I agree that I don't want to be lunch for a Mountain Lion, but on the same note, since I'm in its territory, I'm probably just asking for it!

I take the same risk swimming in the oceans around Nor-Cal with sharks!

I used to live on the border of Briones park and have hiked and biked in Briones since 1979, and have never run into a Mountain Lion in that park (they may be there but I have never seen them). Your chances of running into a Mountain Lion are slim to none. Briones is also full of fresh beef and deer for the Mountain Lions if they are hungry (At which point the ranchers would kill the Lion!).

Interesting facts about the Mountain Lion:

http://www4.d25.k12.id.us/phs/biology/mountlihome.html

Statistics show that there has only been 16 Mountain Lion attacks in California since 1890!!!
    Last edited by webshot; 07-13-2004 at 12:07 PM.

Jun 2004

So whats the deal! Are we going riding or what?! I went yesterday afterwork and there was only one other person in the trail! It was a fun ride. I'm changing my riding path as of Wed. The short path I've been taking is no longer giving me a workout. I need to turn it up a notch.

pewpewpew Moderator
    So whats the deal! Are we going riding or what?! I went yesterday afterwork and there was only one other person in the trail! It was a fun ride. I'm changing my riding path as of Wed. The short path I've been taking is no longer giving me a workout. I need to turn it up a notch.
    I will likely be riding today, so let me know if you want to go for a spin.

Jun 2004
    I will likely be riding today, so let me know if you want to go for a spin.
    Impy,

CohenFive and myself are meeting tomarow at 4:30PM if your interested, at the staging area/parking lot by Briones Stables.

Jun 2004
    test disregaurd

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

test disregaurd
    nice spelling..

Jun 2004

Smile

Yea whatever! I'l spl itt lik I wannt!

Actually this thing needs a spell check feature for people like myself who bastardize the English language.

MTBR.com Addict

Shoot Impy, you are a hell of a climber. I'm willing to bet you could even give Lance a run for his money in the mountain stages on the Tour! As far as downhill goes, I think you are pretty fast, beat my butt last time, but I've gotten a lot faster recently, so I might give you a challenge.

What entrances do you usually use on the Martinez side. I'm starting to get bored with the long fireroad climb to the top of the Lafayette side of Brionnes (great workout though!).

Are you or any of the other east bay crew going to be at the Howell Mountain Challenge on Aug15th?
    http://www.mtbwest.com/howell.html
    By the descriptions it sounds to be a real blast! I'll bring a cooler of beer to share with everyone that attends!

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=STrackMike]Shoot Impy, you are a hell of a climber. I'm willing to bet you could even give Lance a run for his money in the mountain stages on the Tour! As far as downhill goes, I think you are pretty fast, beat my butt last time, but I've gotten a lot faster recently, so I might give you a challenge.

What entrances do you usually use on the Martinez side. I'm starting to get bored with the long fireroad climb to the top of the Lafayette side of Brionnes (great workout though!).

not to butt in on the conversation, but i usually park at the alhambra entrance. i used to climb straight up alongside the creek on the fireroad but now go to the right and have another climb that i find more interesting. if you are interested impy (possibly), webshot and i are meeting in the staging area parking lot around 530 this afternoon. you are more than welcome to join us.

MTBR.com Addict
    [QUOTE=cohenfive]
    Quote Originally Posted by STrackMike
    Shoot Impy, you are a hell of a climber. I'm willing to bet you could even give Lance a run for his money in the mountain stages on the Tour! As far as downhill goes, I think you are pretty fast, beat my butt last time, but I've gotten a lot faster recently, so I might give you a challenge.

not to butt in on the conversation, but i usually park at the alhambra entrance. i used to climb straight up alongside the creek on the fireroad but now go to the right and have another climb that i find more interesting. if you are interested impy (possibly), webshot and i are meeting in the staging area parking lot around 530 this afternoon. you are more than welcome to join us.
    Cool, but I have to pass on today as I have already said I would go to China Camp and show some people around there who haven't ridden there before, tonight.
    I'm thinking that the rest of my week and weekend is going to be shot, so sometime next week would be good for me.
    Are you talking about the parking area right down there where Alhambra goes under Hwy4? There should be some overhead traintracks there also?

www.btceb.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool, but I have to pass on today as I have already said I would go to China Camp and show some people around there who haven't ridden there before, tonight.
    I'm thinking that the rest of my week and weekend is going to be shot, so sometime next week would be good for me.
    Are you talking about the parking area right down there where Alhambra goes under Hwy4? There should be some overhead traintracks there also?

no, i mean the alhambra staging area entrance to briones on reliez valley road in lafayette. there's a horse stables at the entrance...

MTBR.com Addict
    no, i mean the alhambra staging area entrance to briones on reliez valley road in lafayette. there's a horse stables at the entrance...
    Ok, I mapped it in Yahoo and recognize where that is. That's about 2 miles up the road from where I usually enter on pleasant hill road, across from the school. If I have time, I'll shoot out that way maybe Thursday evening.

www.btceb.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok, I mapped it in Yahoo and recognize where that is. That's about 2 miles up the road from where I usually enter on pleasant hill road, across from the school. If I have time, I'll shoot out that way maybe Thursday evening.
    the route i now take to the top out of the staging area:

orchard trail (off to the right looking up the hills) to pine tree trail to old briones road (at the upper staging area). that will lead up towards the top. from there i normally ride the ridgelines a while depending on time and then back down via the alhambra creek trail. have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

impy and webshot in briones this afternoon...

ok, we finally all got together for a ride up to the cell towers from the alhambra staging area. jeff you were a real trooper and should be pleased with sticking with us and making it all the way. pretty impressive for how little you have been riding. and man, you totally flew down the creek trail, we couldn't even see you after a while!! the ride was fun and we'll do more in the east bay. here are a few pix from the ride...

first, i showed up about 15 minutes late and this was why....a bit of a brushfire broke out a few hundred yards from my house. scary for a few minutes but the wind was blowing a different way and the fire dept was great in getting there fast and dealing with it before it got to be a big deal. the riding shots are all of webshot and impy.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Nice ride today, guys. How fun to get some folks together on the local turf! Jeff is a tough mofo and just kept pedalling up those steep sections. No way I could have done that when I started!! He's going to be kickin all our butts in a few months.

Jun 2004
    Nice ride today, guys. How fun to get some folks together on the local turf! Jeff is a tough mofo and just kept pedalling up those steep sections. No way I could have done that when I started!! He's going to be kickin all our butts in a few months.
    LOL! Those are terrible pictures of me! I sure enjoyed the ride though! Your lucky I didn't break you camera with my ugly mug Cohenfive! You guys really kicked my butt up and down those hills like I was redheaded stepchild or something!! Fun though. I'll just keep at it in hopes that someday I'll actually be able to keep up with you a little better.

So how did the damage look from the fire Cohenfive? I hope all is well and it was just grass that burned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    LOL! Those are terrible pictures of me! I sure enjoyed the ride though! Your lucky I didn't break you camera with my ugly mug Cohenfive! You guys really kicked my butt up and down those hills like I was redheaded stepchild or something!! Fun though. I'll just keep at it in hopes that someday I'll actually be able to keep up with you a little better.

So how did the damage look from the fire Cohenfive? I hope all is well and it was just grass that burned.
    jeff, i hate to tell you but i took about 50 pix and those were the best ones of you that i could find. there's only so much post-processing you can do!!

seriously, fun ride. when i'm back from vaca we'll head out to the diablo foothills loop. i have no doubts you will be more than keeping up with me soon. i'm old you know!!

as for the fire, there were still firetrucks there when i got home but the fire was out. that plane we saw buzzing past briones dumped fire retardent up there and with the helos and trucks that fire didn't stand a chance. it was still unnerving at first though. i'm glad no houses burned. had to be 'operator error in how it got started, we don't exactly get a lot of lightning strikes in lafayette in the summer!!

see you guys soon....no riding for me the next 2 weeks....

Jun 2004
    jeff, i hate to tell you but i took about 50 pix and those were the best ones of you that i could find. there's only so much post-processing you can do!!

seriously, fun ride. when i'm back from vaca we'll head out to the diablo foothills loop. i have no doubts you will be more than keeping up with me soon. i'm old you know!!

as for the fire, there were still firetrucks there when i got home but the fire was out. that plane we saw buzzing past briones dumped fire retardent up there and with the helos and trucks that fire didn't stand a chance. it was still unnerving at first though. i'm glad no houses burned. had to be 'operator error in how it got started, we don't exactly get a lot of lightning strikes in lafayette in the summer!!

see you guys soon....no riding for me the next 2 weeks....

Best pics of me you could find ey? !!!!

Diablo foothills does sound fun! Lets go for it!

"lightning strikes in lafayette in the summer!!" LOL!! It's those damn smokers!!

Jun 2004

Just for the record, Impy was very kind and was nice enough to wait for me at the top of hills, and she even turned around a few times to make sure I was not laying dead on the trail!!!! Thank you Impy!

Cohenfive is kinda alright also.

For any of you begginers out there who live in the area, you should all come riding with us! It is a blast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just for the record, Impy was very kind and was nice enough to wait for me at the top of hills, and she even turned around a few times to make sure I was not laying dead on the trail!!!! Thank you Impy!

For any of you begginers out there who live in the area, you should all come riding with us! It is a blast.
    jeff thanks for the kinds words--next time i'll post the 'other' pix!!! i didn't come down for you because it gave me the opportunity to get pix of you guys together (that's my excuse anyway!). also i would've had to climb back up, no problem for impy...

Jun 2004
    jeff thanks for the kinds words--next time i'll post the 'other' pix!!! i didn't come down for you because it gave me the opportunity to get pix of you guys together (that's my excuse anyway!). also i would've had to climb back up, no problem for impy...

I was joking!

Both of you were very patient with me and I really do appreciate it! You guys were great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was joking!

Both of you were very patient with me and I really do appreciate it! You guys were great.
    too bad about that door ding on your truck though...i've never seen another vehicle parked over where you did.

talk to you in a couple of weeks.

Jun 2004

... and if we just ...

FYI Impy and Cohenfive...

I rode the route that we all went on last week (Pine Tree Tr.) and someone went through there with a bulldozer!! The steep singletrack sections are now covered in very loose, rocky, soil. Almost impossible to walk up the steep sections much less bike up them. It does give you a better workout though!

pewpewpew Moderator
    FYI Impy and Cohenfive...

I rode the route that we all went on last week (Pine Tree Tr.) and someone went through there with a bulldozer!! The steep singletrack sections are now covered in very loose, rocky, soil. Almost impossible to walk up the steep sections much less bike up them. It does give you a better workout though!
    The bastids! grr

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I rode Briones Saturday and the Diablo View Trail looked pretty freshly graded, although it was mostly packed. BTW, does anyone else go in that way or am I the only idiot who has done that? The climb just about killed me (I embarrassingly had to stop about 10 times and push some sections). Also, when is the next ride planned?
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    I rode Briones Saturday and the Diablo View Trail looked pretty freshly graded, although it was mostly packed. BTW, does anyone else go in that way or am I the only idiot who has done that? The climb just about killed me (I embarrassingly had to stop about 10 times and push some sections). Also, when is the next ride planned?
    I have not been on that trail in a while! Actually that trail looked like it had a good layer of gravel on it from what I saw in the parking lot. Does it get worse farther on?

Thanks
    Last edited by webshot; 07-21-2004 at 11:38 AM.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Eek thats steep. I have only gone down that way, on foot, and it was hard to stay standing.

I'm riding this afternoon at about 6 pm.

MTBR.com Addict

I'm planning on hooking up with you guys in the next week or two. As soon as I can get the new dog (Maggie) settled in and trail trained (she's most of the way there already) then both of us will join you guys! Most of my rides are in the evening though as I work during the day. I'm always up for a weekend ride though!

Anyone want to try the paved climb up Mt Diablo? I just put a SRAM road cassette on my wheels with semi-slicks and it take a little getting used to, but it works. Had to readjust the derailurer cage angle and the tension of the shifter cable. I ended up doing a 12mile loop from Lafayette to parts of Moraga and back in top gear for the most part to try out the new cassette-good cardio workout!

www.btceb.org

Jun 2004
    Eek thats steep. I have only gone down that way, on foot, and it was hard to stay standing.

I'm riding this afternoon at about 6 pm.

Sorry Impy, I can't make it today. Have fun though! Go smooth out the loose dirt on that trail for me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have not been on that trail in a while! Actually that trail looked like it had a good layer of gravel on it from what I saw in the parking lot. Does it get worse farther on?

Thanks
    Gravel is only for about .25-.5 mile. As soon as you get past the second turn it goes back to dirt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Most of my rides are in the evening though as I work during the day. I'm always up for a weekend ride though!
    I agree that evenings (Monday, Wednesday & Friday; Wife has Yoga Tues & Thurs and I play Mr. Mom) or weekends work best. I would love to go tonight but I rode at 6 am this morning and couldn't handle another ride. I'm glad to hear that the way I went up was not the normal climb. I was thinking I was even slower than I normally am.

Jun 2004
    Hey folks,

I'm riding at 3:00PM today if ya'll are interested.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Man they really did ruin the pine tree trail. I'm staying off that route for a while until it gets packed down.

Bastids. There was no need to bulldoze that trail.

Jun 2004
    Man they really did ruin the pine tree trail. I'm staying off that route for a while until it gets packed down.

Bastids. There was no need to bulldoze that trail.
    They may have done it as a fire break. But who really knows?

pewpewpew Moderator
    They may have done it as a fire break. But who really knows?
    Some guy was riding the road above me as i hit the soft steep stuff and started pushing my bike. He said "yup, they usually grade it about this time of year" .

Jun 2004
    Some guy was riding the road above me as i hit the soft steep stuff and started pushing my bike. He said "yup, they usually grade it about this time of year" .
    Well it's good that "Mr. Information" was there to provide enlightenment! LOL!

MTBR.com Addict

Question for you Webshot

Your avatar pic there, I'm guessing that is from the cover of Neil Piert's book?

www.btceb.org

Jun 2004
    Your avatar pic there, I'm guessing that is from the cover of Neil Piert's book?

Yeper!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Don't know if anyone is riding tommorrow, but I am going to try and ride Briones from Alhambra Staging Area (Reliez Valley Road Entrance) with a buddy at 6:30 (a.m.). Yes it's early, but he has a birthday party that evening and another event during the day, and I have to be back home by 8:30 a.m. so I can play Mr. Mom.

BTW, this is not an A, B or even a C ride, so if you are worried that you are to slow, don't be (unless you can't push without having to stop every 2 minutes).

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    FYI, Time change to 5:45 a.m.

Jun 2004
    I'm sorry we could not hook up. 5:45 is a little early though. I went riding today but a lot later in the morning. Perhaps we can all get together soon.

Thanks

Jun 2004
    Went for a ride Saturday that was real fun! We started up Diablo View Trail (holy crap are those hills steep!) , made a right onto Lagoon Trail, Made a left onto Toyon Canyon, went Orchard Trail, then to home. We hit some real cool single track runs through the woods also. What a great day!
    Last edited by webshot; 07-26-2004 at 12:23 PM.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Just curious - why Briones on a weekend? I like to ride there for the convenience of course after work but there is a lot of fantastic riding in the bay area thats not far away.

Jun 2004
    Just curious - why Briones on a weekend? I like to ride there for the convenience of course after work but there is a lot of fantastic riding in the bay area thats not far away.

I go there because I like it. My friend who rides with me lives right there by the entrance and since he is so busy with kids, he prefers to ride there. Either way it is fun. The whole point was to get myself back in shape. I'm sure I will be looking for other riding locations when I am ready.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Looks like fun, but you missed the fun way down next to Alhambra Creek. Diablo View trail is just brutal, I am not going up that way again (at least until I can clear the other climbs). It was nice out at 5:45, cool, no hikers. My buddy just about died on the climb, but he will go back because of the fun trails that are carefully hidden.

Impy: Simple, it's called being married and having a child. Take your pick, two hours riding, or an hour + of driving and less than 1 hour riding.

pewpewpew Moderator

Impy: Simple, it's called being married and having a child. Take your pick, two hours riding, or an hour + of driving and less than 1 hour riding.
    Not that simple. I ride with parents all the time. I rode this sunday with a guy who is the father of 4, the youngest is 3 months and he drove 2 hours to get to the trailhead.
    Last edited by Impy; 07-26-2004 at 08:37 PM.

Jun 2004
    Looks like fun, but you missed the fun way down next to Alhambra Creek. Diablo View trail is just brutal, I am not going up that way again (at least until I can clear the other climbs). It was nice out at 5:45, cool, no hikers. My buddy just about died on the climb, but he will go back because of the fun trails that are carefully hidden.

I rode that same route again yesterday but just went up the normal Alhambra Creek Trail instead of the Diablo View. I can't hit Diablo View again until I make some changes to my bike. My darn bike is so light in the front end that the front wheel keeps coming up off the ground when cranking up those hills even when leaning forward on the bars.

Yesterdays ride was brutal because of the heat. It took me about an hour and a half to do that loop and I was dead to the world when I got home. It was great!!

Jun 2004
    Not that simple. I ride with parents all the time. I rode this sunday with a guy who is the father of 4, the youngest is 3 months and he drove 2 hours to get to the trailhead.

Now that is dedication to the sport! Unless there is a convenience factor for some of us, we would not bike at all. I am one of those people. Personally I do not have the confidence in my biking ability to start looking for new trails yet. I do see this happening soon though! I'm actually looking forward to going up to Oregon where my folks live and hitting some of the trails in that area.

See the pics in this thread!!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=31504

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ask him if he wants to trade spouses?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I rode that same route again yesterday but just went up the normal Alhambra Creek Trail instead of the Diablo View. I can't hit Diablo View again until I make some changes to my bike. My darn bike is so light in the front end that the front wheel keeps coming up off the ground when cranking up those hills even when leaning forward on the bars.
    It's not your bike that is the problem. The climb is that freakin steep. Frankly I couldn't climb the steeper sections because of lack of traction combined with my inability to process oxygen fast enough.

BTW, did you come down the fun way next to Alhambra Creek?

Jun 2004
    It's not your bike that is the problem. The climb is that freakin steep. Frankly I couldn't climb the steeper sections because of lack of traction combined with my inability to process oxygen fast enough.

I actually went UP Alhambra Creek. Are you refering to the single track that runs down there? I have seen some trails in there but have never taken them.

Jun 2004

LOL! perhaps there is some truth to that. I'm thinking it requires a little more skill and droping my bars down a little. I actually watched my buddy go up the sections that I "flipped over" on!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I actually went UP Alhambra Creek. Are you refering to the single track that runs down there? I have seen some trails in there but have never taken them.
    Yep. It rocks. The only thing is about .25 mile after you start on it, there is a really steep chute with roots about 2/3 of a way down. Make sure the first time you go down, you are going slow enough to stop before this section, as it really requires some serious skill, brass b*lls and body armor would help. Other than that section it is a really fun ST.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Yep. It rocks. The only thing is about .25 mile after you start on it, there is a really steep chute with roots about 2/3 of a way down. Make sure the first time you go down, you are going slow enough to stop before this section, as it really requires some serious skill, brass b*lls and body armor would help. Other than that section it is a really fun ST.
    I can't do that section at all. Too much consequence if you mess up. I usually enter right below it. I meant, *if* I rode it, since it is illegal.

I'm riding tommorow at about 6 or 630 for sure. Looking to ride about 2 hours. Anyone up for this? I intend to alhambra creek to crest trail, over to motts, down to bear creek up homestead to crest and then crest trail down to creek. With "detours" if I am making good time....

Jun 2004
    I can't do that section at all. Too much consequence if you mess up. I usually enter right below it. I meant, *if* I rode it, since it is illegal.

I'm riding tommorow at about 6 or 630 for sure. Looking to ride about 2 hours. Anyone up for this? I intend to alhambra creek to crest trail, over to motts, down to bear creek up homestead to crest and then crest trail down to creek. With "detours" if I am making good time....
    I have to two flat tires from my last ride. I'm gonna have to pick up some tubes afterwork. Sorry Impy, can't make it, I could not keep up with you anyway because my legs are still burned out from my last ride. Your a biking machine!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I would love to go, but Tues and Thurday are the Wife's Yoga nights. I will of course ignore I don't think I could actually do that ride in 2 hours. Crap Impy, you are strong rider, if I rode with you, you would have time to nap while waiting for me on the climbs.

BTW, I have never ridden that Single Track by Alhambra creek, but merely imagined what it might be like.

Jun 2004
    BTW, I have never ridden that Single Track by Alhambra creek, but merely imagined what it might be like.

YEA! Thats the ticket!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have to two flat tires from my last ride. I'm gonna have to pick up some tubes afterwork.
    A suggestion. Get the specialized Airlock tubes from Encina Bike in Walnut Creek or Contra Costa Cyclerly in Pleasant Hill. These things work so much better than the slime tubes and are well worth the weight penalty. I (knock on wood) haven't had to change a tube on the trail in nearly 4 years. If they do go flat, you just pump them up, spin the tire and ride. Sometimes it takes a few rides for the little hole to seal. I end up replacing the tubes about once every two years.

I will also go out on a limb and say, DON'T support Sharp Bike in Lafayette. Those guys are pricks and only care about selling as many bikes as possible, not helping out their customers after the sale. I bought my Fisher there in 2000 and within two months took in two friends, one who bought a $1700 bike another who bought a $3000 bike. When I would take my bike in for service, I was given a cold shoulder, as if I was bothering them by asking them to tighten the spokes on a wheel that kept loosening. My friends (both professionals in their 40's) got the same treatment. It is funny as I went in there two weeks ago to pick up a water bottle cage and was asked if I bought a full sus bike yet, and I said yes, I got a Turner. It was like a light switch was flipped, Matt Sharp (the owner) went from personable to cold in a second. Guess I didn't look like a good prospect then. I won't buy anything else there again.

BTW, if anyone from Sharp is reading this, I just want to let you know, your crappy attidude has costs you a great deal of money. My buddy with the $1700 bike got into road riding. Guess what, he ended up buying a LeMond from Encena. I have had several friends look for bikes, I have told them to avoid your shop. I have bought a Klein, Turner and Titus since I bought my Fisher from you. Guess what, you haven't gotten a penny of that money because of how you treated me.

Jun 2004
    A suggestion. Get the specialized Airlock tubes from Encina Bike in Walnut Creek or Contra Costa Cyclerly in Pleasant Hill. These things work so much better than the slime tubes and are well worth the weight penalty. I (knock on wood) haven't had to change a tube on the trail in nearly 4 years. If they do go flat, you just pump them up, spin the tire and ride. Sometimes it takes a few rides for the little hole to seal. I end up replacing the tubes about once every two years.

I will also go out on a limb and say, DON'T support Sharp Bike in Lafayette. Those guys are pricks and only care about selling as many bikes as possible, not helping out their customers after the sale. I bought my Fisher there in 2000 and within two months took in two friends, one who bought a $1700 bike another who bought a $3000 bike. When I would take my bike in for service, I was given a cold shoulder, as if I was bothering them by asking them to tighten the spokes on a wheel that kept loosening. My friends (both professionals in their 40's) got the same treatment. It is funny as I went in there two weeks ago to pick up a water bottle cage and was asked if I bought a full sus bike yet, and I said yes, I got a Turner. It was like a light switch was flipped, Matt Sharp (the owner) went from personable to cold in a second. Guess I didn't look like a good prospect then. I won't buy anything else there again.

BTW, if anyone from Sharp is reading this, I just want to let you know, your crappy attidude has costs you a great deal of money. My buddy with the $1700 bike got into road riding. Guess what, he ended up buying a LeMond from Encena. I have had several friends look for bikes, I have told them to avoid your shop. I have bought a Klein, Turner and Titus since I bought my Fisher from you. Guess what, you haven't gotten a penny of that money because of how you treated me.
    Those are the tubes I bought. They were tuff to put on though. The Presta valve on those tubes is not threaded all the way down. I could not hook up my Schrader adapter on them to fill them up with my air compressor. When I adjusted the pressure on the tire, the gooey stuff inside comes out of the valve when letting a little air out (a good sign though!)

I hope they are worth the trouble!

As far as bike shops go, I have found attitude at ALL bike shops I have visited with exception to Encina! The folks at Encina have always been very customer friendly and helpful and I will continue to deal with them. Unfortunately I bought my bike elsewhere and regret it. Every bike store seems to have it's bad apple/employee that has an attitude problem.

MTBR.com Addict
    Those are the tubes I bought. They were tuff to put on though. The Presta valve on those tubes is not threaded all the way down. I could not hook up my Schrader adapter on them to fill them up with my air compressor. When I adjusted the pressure on the tire, the gooey stuff inside comes out of the valve when letting a little air out (a good sign though!)

As far as bike shops go, I have found attitude at ALL bike shops I have visited with exception to Encina! The folks at Encina have always been very customer friendly and helpful and I will continue to deal with them. Unfortunately I bought my bike elsewhere and regret it. Every bike store seems to have it's bad apple/employee that has an attitude problem.
    I have to agree with the description of Sharp. I live in Lafayette and have been in there less than a half-dozen times. I've gotten that feeling that they were looking down their nose at me from on high every time.
    I'm assuming that Encina Bike is the LBS that is on Ygnacio Valley, near Oak Grove (there's an Appleby's, Taco Bell and pizza joint all in the same parking lot)?

www.btceb.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm assuming that Encina Bike is the LBS that is on Ygnacio Valley, near Oak Grove (there's an Appleby's, Taco Bell and pizza joint all in the same parking lot)?
    That's Encina. The also own Clayton Bikes in Concord. They are really great and the only shop in the area I recommend to people for purchasing new bikes. Tim who is the guy in his 60's is the owner. I was in there one time and somebody was saying they were having a problem with their bike. The mechanic asked if they bought it there and the answer was yes. He said, bring it in, we have free tuneups for the life of the bike. He then continued one saying, "I would rather see you bring your bike in once a week to have it checked and adjusted than once a year, that way we catch things before there is a problem."

I should throw out props for another shop that opened recently and you would never see unless you know they are there. It is called Perfection Cycling (web page is the same) and they are located on 1431-H N. Main Street, which is actually in the alley on the west side of Main. They don't really stock bikes (doing mostly custom builds) but are focused on servicing bikes and fast turnaround. They faced my Titus headtube while I waited and then did the bottom bracket when I had to bring it back it and have that done. They charged me a total of about $50 for both, pretty reasonable and were careful and made sure it was done right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

A couple of tips on the tubes since I have used them for a few years:

1) Get a good floor pump and don't use the air compressor.
    2) Rotate the tire so the stem of the tube is 90 degrees from the ground and wait about 5 seconds, then add or let out air. I used to make the mistake of having the tire with the stem at the top, but the goop that is in the valve comes out. Doing it at 90 degrees helps to stop this.

MTBR.com Addict
    That's Encina. The also own Clayton Bikes in Concord. They are really great and the only shop in the area I recommend to people for purchasing new bikes. Tim who is the guy in his 60's is the owner. I was in there one time and somebody was saying they were having a problem with their bike. The mechanic asked if they bought it there and the answer was yes. He said, bring it in, we have free tuneups for the life of the bike. He then continued one saying, "I would rather see you bring your bike in once a week to have it checked and adjusted than once a year, that way we catch things before there is a problem."

I should throw out props for another shop that opened recently and you would never see unless you know they are there. It is called Perfection Cycling (web page is the same) and they are located on 1431-H N. Main Street, which is actually in the alley on the west side of Main. They don't really stock bikes (doing mostly custom builds) but are focused on servicing bikes and fast turnaround. They faced my Titus headtube while I waited and then did the bottom bracket when I had to bring it back it and have that done. They charged me a total of about $50 for both, pretty reasonable and were careful and made sure it was done right.
    Yeah, I know where they are (Perfection Cycles), just up the road from Performance, but on Main St. I've seen the sign, just haven't gone in there yet. I have seen commercials for the place during the TDF on OLN.

www.btceb.org

Jun 2004
    A couple of tips on the tubes since I have used them for a few years:

1) Get a good floor pump and don't use the air compressor.
    2) Rotate the tire so the stem of the tube is 90 degrees from the ground and wait about 5 seconds, then add or let out air. I used to make the mistake of having the tire with the stem at the top, but the goop that is in the valve comes out. Doing it at 90 degrees helps to stop this.
    1 Guilty!
    2 Guilty Again!

LOL!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Don't feel bad, it only took me about 2 years to figure out. You would have probably figured it out sooner. :^)

Anyhow, anyone up for a 6:00 a.m. ride on Saturday? I may also be free next Friday evening, but I'm not holding my breath yet.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    6AM huh? Where? Briones? Do I hear 6:30 maybe?
    I may be able to swing that one. Maybe we could start a new thread since this one is getting rather deep and cumbersome (or more likely.... I'm just lazy)

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    We try to get there between 5:45a.m. and 6:00 a.m. at the Alhambra Staging area on Reliez Valley Road. FYI, the gate is not open until 8:00 so you get a nice 3/4 mile warmup ride on the pavement. Also, this is not an A, B, or C ride, more like a D ride because my buddy has not been riding much lately so he ends up pushing a lot (took us 45 minutes up last time). I'm a bit faster climbing. Both are good decenders so that is where the fun it at. Bottom line is if you got there at 6:15 or so, you would probably catch us on the climb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Back from my vacation...time to ride again!!

hi everyone, it sure seems we have a little martinez/lafayette chatroom thing going on. this is great stuff. sounds like i missed some nice rides the past couple of weeks. sad to hear about the grading in briones, but my guess is that it's for fire control reasons.

curious what everyone's schedule looks like for riding the next week or so, i need to get back on the bike to work off some of the past 2 weeks' wine and italian food!!

Members who have read this thread: 0