mtbr member

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)

In Coe-Operation with California State Parks, ROMP, the PRA, and the Friends of Gilroy Hot
    Springs, we bring you June 12, 2nd Saturday trail work, White Tank Trail (Gibbon). Please meet us at the
    Coyote Creek Gate at 9:00am, at the usual time. It's a Gibbon.

It will be for Gibbon whether you show up or not.

Exception: Coe trail work usually meets up at Hunting Hollow, but this one meets at the Coyote
    Creek Gate, and folks will park on the other side of the Green Bridge behind the Gilroy Hot
    Springs gate. The reason for this is the 10k run going on a Hunting Hollow. We will be there to
    open the gate and usher you in. We've been Gibbon permission to park there.

Gibbon that White Tank is a fairly distant goal, and that we are encouraging you to ride out to
    the trail work site, you should probably plan to spend the greater part of the day in Coe. There
    will be shuttle space available for those who RSVP requesting it.

Park staff are Gibbon us tools to use by placing the tool trailer out at Pacheco Camp. This is
    where we will ride to and meet up to grab our tools. Our job is all brushing.

Don't forget the instructions you've been Gibbon; that we are meeting at the end of the road at
    the Coyote Creek gate at 9:00 am and parking on the other side of the bridge behind the
    Gilroy Hot Springs gate.

If you are Gibbon an inch, you might as well ape a mile!

"Hang Loose!" is Gibbon good advice.

Last edited by Jack Burns; 06-08-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Uh, what time? You haven't Gibbon that info, I'd hate to be a late ape.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

I'm a "she".
    Gibbon that it's been a while since January when I participated in the Coe trail work, and Gibbon that I always did Coe trail work in June every year just so that I could be miserably itchy when my birthday came shortly after, I will honor the tradition and be there for this one too.

Is anyone else planning on a fun ride in (i.e. singletrack way)? I'm thinking Anza/Jackson to Kelly Lake to Coit Road. It doesn't seem it'll take much longer than the fire road way, but we can also park outside and start earlier than the yet-to-be-Gibbon official start time.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

mtbr member
    We are meeting at 9:00 am at the end of Gilroy Hot Springs Road. This will shorten the ride by those 2 flat road miles fom Hunting Hollow. I will bring a cooler and some non-corn syrup based sort of drinks, and some water, on ice, for when we get back, and some snacks to share.

When brushing it is recommended to have long sleeves to protect your forearms.

Before cutting anything, one must scrutinize the bush for evidence of nesting birds and wood rat nests. We do not disturb active nests. Before trimming or removing a shrub, one should address the problem, and assess the conditions, and determine whether and then where to cut, and how to cut, to make the process more efficient.

Gibbon another chance, I would still do the monkey thing again.

mtbr member
    It's a good ride out to White Tank but unfortunately I have to sing this day so cannot be there.. I'll be sure to head out there and offer criticisms of your work in a coming weekend

More Torque
    Looking forward to seeing you guys there.

Here's a shot of cross canyon (one way to get to the work site), taken a week and a half ago.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-2010_05_29_ghs_02rs.jpg  

I'm a "she".
    Dang, England is playing USA on Saturday! I'm trying to convince the hubby that he should skip the trailwork and go somewhere to watch the match live -- it's too important to miss for a hardcore soccer fan. I'll just brush twice as hard... hopefully not like a Gibbon, but more like a goat.

mtbr member
    Cross Canyon Trail is tick-prone, so going through it with that much growth (see Diesel's picture above) must have been an adventure. A year or two ago I picked up literally a dozen ticks traversing CCT from east to west.

The current issue of Consumer Reports reviews tick repellents, incidentally. The non-DEET-based Repel repellent I use got a high rating.

I haven't ridden White Tank Spring Trail for three or four years now, but I remember that it was fabulous. Nice to see that it's being worked on.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by imtnbke
    Cross Canyon Trail is tick-prone, so going through it with that much growth (see Diesel's picture above) must have been an adventure. A year or two ago I picked up literally a dozen ticks traversing CCT from east to west.

The current issue of Consumer Reports reviews tick repellents, incidentally. The non-DEET-based Repel repellent I use got a high rating.

I haven't ridden White Tank Spring Trail for three or four years now, but I remember that it was fabulous. Nice to see that it's being worked on.
    It seems like we're past the prime tick season, unless you are in a forested/grassy area that does not get much sun and remains relatively green and cool.

I may have seen one tick on cross canyon that day, but I know what you are saying, I've had 10-15 on some spring time traverses.

The interesting thing was the ladybug swarms; they were over the top. It was hard to capture it with a photo, but when riding through the canyon bottom, there were 10-20 on me at any given time. I had to disconnect my natural "oh crap, there's a tick response" when I felt them fly on to me.

I have not been on White Tank for a while, either, so it will be nice to visit that area.

-D

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Uh, did the Coe-conspirators notice there's a red flag warning out for hot, dry, windy weather this weekend?

Does that change the plan at all?

mtbr member
    Yes it will be hot and dry. That's normal and expected for June. July will be even hotter! That's why we don't schedule 2nd Saturday's for July and August.

mtbr member
    We just got done with our Mission Peak trailwork. It may have been 85 degrees, but there was a pleasant breeze and none of us overheated. I thought the weather was perfect in fact. I wonder if I can ride Coe tomorrow. I'd better go by 7:00 a.m.!

mtbr member

They Should All Be Gibbon Medals

We got back to the Coyote Creek Gate at about 1730. It was not as hot as we expected either, and there was a very good breeze too. We were Gibbon pleasant weather to enjoy.

But hell yes, we all worked up a sweat, and got hot. We had 7 volunteers for the Gibbon.

This is the old "White Tank" on it's side. This tank has been replaced by a smaller green modern plastic one. Next weekend a new 100 gallon trough will be installed to replace the 75 gallon one which has cracked. (not pictured).

We brushed White Tank Trail starting from the bottom, and went up to the junction with Rose Dam Trail. The bottom of White Tank was really overgrown.

We last performed a major brushing on White Tank Trail in 2006. Then the Lick Fire of 2007burned through the area, and actually opened up the trail even more. Yet here we are in 2010, and unless you knew about the Lick Fire, you might not even notice that there was a huge consuming fire here. The vegetation here, predominantly Toyon, Chamise, Coyote Brush, Yerba Santa, Buckeye, Grey Pine, and some Manzanita, has apparently revelled in the period following the blaze.

We got permission to ride there not too many days after that fire was deemed totally contained and over, and a few big oak stumps were still smoldering and the land was a blackened scorched and ash-white dusted wasteland. I recall, that not all of White Tank Trail's foliage went up in smoke in 07', and that the fire had hop-scotched with capricious knights move's across the chapparal.

Well we got it done. I heard everyone chatting away while we worked together and I could tell from the sounds of it, people were having fun. I am looking forward to sharing some of the pictures. A very productive day.

Skyline35 may have been lurking on the Hoover Air-strip end of the trail. I don't know. The one thing we missed is flagging to Hoover end of the trail. I heard a couple of backpackers got confused out there recently. Well, I'll be back next weekend and will flag it again if needed.

Super-Stoker Chris and Plymmer

Thanks to all.

-Paul
    Last edited by Jack Burns; 06-12-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Add Photos & Title

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Thanks again for organizing and driving, Paul. It was hot but it was a pleasant heat, not the brutal death march conditions I'd feared.

I got to try out my new point-n-shoot camera, here are a few pix:

plymmer's new old Valiant.

Sorcerer, knobs, and Diesel~ discuss strategy.

Pacheco Camp, where the tool trailer was stashed.

The formerly white White Tank at White Tank Springs.

Diesel~ was a bush-cuttin' machine!

plymmer takes a picture of a flower.

Taking a break at the far end of the trail: L to R mudworm, Sorcerer, plymmer, Chris, and Diesel~.

White Tank Springs Trail can now be ridden without a machete.

Per Sorcerer's request: the tree fallen across Coit Rd. juuuust baaaaarely cleared Diesel~'s bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-img_0005.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-img_0007.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-img_0021.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-img_0044.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-img_0048.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-img_0016.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-img_0010.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-img_0033.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-img_0054.jpg  

Last edited by chucko58; 06-14-2010 at 12:40 AM.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer
    Skyline35 may have been lurking on the Hoover Air-strip end of the trail. I don't know.

-Paul
    Hey Paul, please put me down for a full day's participation. I figured I would see
    you at some point in the day and sign-in but that never happened.

I was in doubt about attending since I was sick with a cold most of the week so I
    kept quiet. Saturday morning I felt better and headed out starting an hour early
    to allow me to ride at a slow pace. Easy fireroads; Coit and Willow Ridge roads.
    At Hoover Airstrip, I watched a couple Killdeer protect their nest as I had a bite to
    eat. Not a great picture as I didn't want to get too close:

There are 3 chicks and an egg in the center of that photo. (When I passed by
    later after trailwork, there were 4 chicks.) Yes, that is the extent of the "nest" and
    it was on the flat, exposed former airstrip (near those metal pipes). The parents
    draw away predators by feigning to be injured and easy prey; fascinating to watch.

I started to work, chatted with Roy for a couple minutes when he passed through
    on his way to meet the group. I brushed the top portion of White Tank. At 4:30pm
    I headed back. Too tired and too late to ride down White Tank to perhaps see the
    group that probably were already on their way. So I went Willow Ridge Crest
    Wagon Wasno and at the top of the Tule Pond Trail I was happily surprised to
    find plymmer, knobs, and mudworm:

We rode out Tule Grizzly.

My "cargo bike":

///Charlie

p.s. Gibbon content :-)
    Long live long rides

loopy counter

More Torque
    Good times for sure.

Thank you to everyone who came out to help.

-D

1. Initial gear up
    2. Chucko, Mudwom and Sorcerer stop to grab tools at Pacheco Camp
    3. Mudworm did the work of two people
    4. Lunch break in the shade. L-R: Plymmer, Knobs, Chucko, Mudworm, Sorcerer, Chris
    5. Sorcerer and Plymmer survey Mississippi Ridge
    6. Post exit refueling
    7. Backing up and out
    8+9. Wild country
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-2010_06_13_coe_01.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-2010_06_13_coe_10.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-2010_06_13_coe_13.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-2010_06_13_coe_17.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-2010_06_13_coe_22.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-2010_06_13_coe_27.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-2010_06_13_coe_28.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-2010_06_13_coe_28p.jpg  

Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-2010_06_13_coe_29p.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the hard work!!! It'll be cool taking White Tank without pushing the bike through brush looking for the trail!

mtbr member

Looks nice

Wow, this is great! I must head out there soon. Sorcerer looks so official in his uniform. I have my own new bike patrol uniform now:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

loopy counter
    Can someone explain...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-ck-pn.jpg  

Last edited by knobs; 06-14-2010 at 11:36 PM.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs
    Can someone explain...
    Shoulda swept the car for bugs before heading out.

Looks like I'll be adding one of these to my kit...

-D
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm a "she".
    It was going to be a warm summer day at Henry Coe after a long California spring, so I dressed accordingly for the occasion -- long sleeves and leg warmers (with fleece liner). The sweat started pouring down my face shortly after I got started on the Anza climb. All day, I resisted the temptation to peel a layer off. Considering the juicy PO bushes on the trail side and the tall grasses that I had to plow through on my ride in and out, I think I made the right decision. Last year's disaster (graphical content: pic 1 and pic 2) was not to be repeated!

The occasional breeze made the heat somewhat bearable, but I think most of us withered a bit in the sun. I was relieved when the end was called when the brushes had been cleared back. But then Sorcerer wanted to walk the rest of the trail (the more barren portion) to the other end because it would be "meditating." Most of us joined the group meditation session. Actually, Diesel~ and Sorcerer both found offending bushes to hack away while the rest of us mostly just walked, some of us in silence. We did get to admire our trailwork on our descend back though.

It was at the bottom of the trail where Paul's vehicle had parked that I got nurtured back to life by Paul's chilled Pink Lemonade and Chuck's water. Re-energized, I got on my bike and started riding with knobs and plymmer. I enjoyed eavesdropping on their conversations. While we took a break before Tule Pond Trail, guess who showed up? Wow, how did you know -- Skyline35 rolled up all smiling. If I hadn't nudged them to get moving, I swear they would have stayed in that one spot just yapping away the day and the night. Have I ever pointed out that guys could be really chatty?

I was a bit beat by the end of the day, but it was another great day with great people. I was glad that the hubby got to watch the FIFA game. At home, I just casually, more out of courtesy, asked how the game went, and he went on for half an hour without breathing describing to me all the little details. I tried to nod at the right moments, but please don't ask me anything about the game because I was catching up with my online surfing during his enthusiastic recap.

Oh, by today, I only have a few itchy spots that are most likely from the mosquitoes at Demo where I rode the next day. But I found a small patch of PO rash in my left ear. I knew I should have worn my ear warmers!!!

My ride (21.2mi / 4651' Click on OSM view and zoom in to see the trail names.)

It must have been hot. Chucko's shoe de-laminated.

Diesel~ sweeping the trail.

Roy doing "high altitude brushing" (Sorcerer coined the phrase). I took the photo just because it would make a great butt shot.

And Sorcerer likes to get down under

Sorcerer meditating...

knobs meditating in his own way...

Look, Skyline35 is trackstanding!

Sorcerer, that last picture of Chris was great. Loved the beautiful and contagious smile!

Can someone explain...
    Um... can you explain... what's the difference between those two copies? Or am I having double vision?

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    Um... can you explain... what's the difference between those two copies? Or am I having double vision?
    There. I fixed it. They are the same. One was the attachment, one was the same image inline.

My pose is not nearly as goofy as I intended... will work on that.

mtbr member
    Kinda graceful actually.. position #5?

I'm a "she".
    Fixed.

mtbr member
    Here's a question. I have the 2006 and the 2002 editions of the Henry Coe map. I know there's a later version (2008?). Is there any reason to buy that one?

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by imtnbke
    Here's a question. I have the 2006 and the 2002 editions of the Henry Coe map. I know there's a later version (2008?). Is there any reason to buy that one?
    Not really; they added some of the trails in the Lakeview zone, which is closed to the public. There might have been some other minor edits, but for practical purposes, the ones you have are fine.

-D

mtbr member
    There are significant differences between the 06' and 02' maps. The 06' has some corrections to trails names and includes some new park land. However, for practical purposes, and typical use, the 02' is equivalent.

A new map has not been made simply because there are still a large number of the 06' maps in inventory (I will ask for the number left). When stocks approach a certain point (this is managed by the PRA) more will be ordered. We intend to revise the net map to reflect changes. Recent trail work needs to be reflected on any new map. Furthermore, I expect more updates to trails in the next two years. By 2012, if the world hasn't ended, a new map will be in production, I expect.

I'm a "she".
    Well, obviously, I underestimated. This is the level of goofiness that knobs was striving for. By now, knobs probably has learned that once he has sent a photo to me, he loses control over where it will end up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry W Coe Trail Work 2nd Saturday June 12 White Tank (Gibbon)-img_0090-3.jpg  

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    There. I fixed it. They are the same. One was the attachment, one was the same image inline.
    I guess I'm a n00b at posting photos here... can you PM or post instructions how to get the images inline without attaching and without hosting elsewhere?

mtbr member

Map status

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer
    There are significant differences between the 06' and 02' maps. The 06' has some corrections to trails names and includes some new park land. However, for practical purposes, and typical use, the 02' is equivalent.

A new map has not been made simply because there are still a large number of the 06' maps in inventory (I will ask for the number left). When stocks approach a certain point (this is managed by the PRA) more will be ordered. We intend to revise the net map to reflect changes. Recent trail work needs to be reflected on any new map. Furthermore, I expect more updates to trails in the next two years. By 2012, if the world hasn't ended, a new map will be in production, I expect.
    Thanks. I'm wrong, then, that a new edition came out after 2006. I'm glad to know I have the latest. Tom Mangan reported that the differences between 2002 and 2006 are extremely minuscule (http://www.tommangan.net/twoheeldriv...sitors-center/) but I believe you, Sorcerer and Diesel, that they're not quite as trivial as he reports.

Yesterday was my state-worker furlough day and I rode from Coyote Creek to China Hole. What a delight. It was a pleasant day, dry and 75 to 85 degrees. China Hole Trail is as wonderful as always. There are a few poison oak sprigs on it but nothing like what I was fearing after the rain this year. It was great to luxuriate at China Hole, wading and massaging my feet on the smooth pebbles and then sunning myself on the beach. (I removed some litter that I found there.) The climb out of China Hole was so pleasant and mellow that I barely felt like I was climbing at all (compare the Lyman-Willson wall!). I rode back via Grapevine Trail, always a fun challenge, and picked up more litter at the Coyote Creek entrance. The Hunting Hollow parking lot was half-full (rare for a Wednesday) with a ranger truck present, so I suppose something was going on there.

mtbr member

June 26 Rustic Journey 10k info

Here is what I posted on ROMP and what I will post on Menso's Dad's thread on the 10k:

As you may have heard, there is a tradition of training up for and then doing any number of long hard bike rides in this world. In Henry W Coe we have a tradition of trying to do a long ride around the longest day, and call it the Coe 10k. It means over 10,000 feet of cumulative altitude in a single ride. Every year the course is different and the exact details are not given out until ride morning.

The ride starts, this time, with a meet time of 6:30 am, so as to be ready, wheels rolling a 7:00am. It is not a race. In fact, the pace is fairly relaxed, or at least as relaxed as it can be, when just moving forward at all, up the steep hills, takes all you've got.

This year on Saturday the 26th we meet at the Coyote Creek Gate at the east end of the Gilroy Hot Springs Road. The ride starts at 7:00am. Riders should have a recent park map, a light (in case of darkness at end of day), and a water filter, and the usual stuff, like food etc. There is no sag, safety net, or hand holding. If you do not love Coe, forget it. The ride will be around 50 miles long.

Okay, I usually do not post so much about this ride, but my hand has been forced by being outed on mtbr and also more significantly, we are going to have camping, under special conditions at Gilroy Hot Springs. So below are a couple of messages for those who are interested. If you want to camp, you have to RSVP to me.

The Coe Mountain Bike Patrol and regular Coe Trail Work Volunteers are being recognized for their service by being invited to camp for free. We maintain the trails. In some respects, we maintain the trails for the running of the 10k each year.

This year's 10k (for a sample), the Rustic Journey, starts with these trails: Coit Rd > Mahoney > Lost Spring > Poverty Flat Rd > Jack Ass > Blue Ridge > Black Oak > Rock House > Narrows > Willow RIdge > Hoover > White Tank > Pacheco Camp ......

-Paul

Hi,

This message goes out to mountain bikers who are doing the 10k, and to people who would actively support, through volunteer activity, initiative, and donations, the preservation, honor, and enjoyment of the Gilroy Hot Springs.

This year, on a Full Moon, the Coe 10k and a camp-out a Gilroy Hot Springs converge. This is an event of note. I have taken a personal interest in Gilroy Hot Springs (GHS) which I want to communicate to you. As you know, the place has taken a beating in the last decade, and it is tragic. The place needs good society. In my view, the GHS area is the most significant cultural site in the expanse of Coe park.

Since the estate of the GHS came into the protection of California State Parks in 2003, the area has suffered much neglect and vandalism. In 2007, a group called the Friends of Gilroy Hot Springs (FOGHS) formed under the wing of the Pine Ridge Association to reestablish public use, preserve historic structures, re-install utilities, and document and interpret the story of the Gilroy Hot Springs.

Camping is allowed by special permission on this weekend only, on Friday and Saturday evening. You must RSVP directly to me by email by next Monday evening, 6/21 to get on the guest list. Please do not simply head on down there.

As a way of thanking you for your service, Coe Mountain Bike Patrol and regular Coe Trail Work Volunteers are invited to enjoy camping for free. However, I do encourage everyone, especially the patrol and Trail Workers, to join FOGHS (even if they are, and they should be, members of the PRA). An individual membership is $35, and a family is $50. We'll have brochures for you.

Others may come and camp, but it is going to cost $75 for Saturday night. This is a fund raiser after-all. If you want to come just for the $75 camp (and no 10K) let me know and I will hook you up.

On Sunday we are asked to volunteer at least an hour to help the GHS. You may join with me surveying a couple of trail projects. These trails are actually historic paths, and are not for mountain-biking. I will not be doing any actual construction on Sunday, but will be planning, measuring, and recording.

Chris and I work up in Cupertino and will be coming down on Friday evening, and I expect not being able to get there until around 8:00 pm.

Below is a message from FOGHS. At the end it asks for RSVP to FOGHS, but for you, please RSVP to me, and I will pass along the list to FOGHS. So far, all I have confirmed are Brian W., Jim W. and Anne, and Chris V. and myself. Let me know if you want to come as soon as you can. I am very busy.

I will be in Coe park all weekend on other business, so I will not get back to email until Monday.

If you want to come earlier on Friday the 25th, it is probably possible, especially if you would like to help set things up a bit. Let me know. Right now I do not know how many people are coming to camp, but I expect a small number. Same for the 10k.

With your email RSVP please give the licence plate number of the vehicle you are bringing. Thank you. Bike patrol, please display your volunteer placard at GHS.

Without further ado, here's the message from FOGHS below my sign-off.

-Paul

This message is sent to you because you expressed an interest in Gilroy Hot Springs night photography, camping, and volunterring.

Yes! It's a "Go"! We have permission to camp on site *and* set up a temporary soaking tank for mineral water!

Please see more info at the website:
    http://www.FriendsOfGilroyHotSprings.org
    All campers subject to CA State Parks rules & regulations. Participation is voluntary and each camper is responsible for his/her own safety and welfare.
    Public invited -- although space is limited: Registration fee required.
    Active PRA & FOGHS members & volunteers - donation only.
    Arrival after 1 p.m. Friday & departure 4 pm Sunday. We'll need help picking up supplies and clean-up afterwards -- anyone have a small truck?

What kind of volunteer work will we do?
    - some weed & brush clean-up. If you have garden tools, please bring them;
    - set-up, maintain, & tear-down temporary soaking tank, (includes p/u materials);
    - night photography
    - fire watch, vandal deterrant
    - clean-up after Camp-Out

This first Camp-Out is low-key, easy volunteer work.
    All money raised from registration fees goes toward protection, preservation & restoration expenses. Donations welcome. We're looking at $80,000 to cover basic needs for the Camp Host site (plumbed water, tank, septic system, cement platform). And we have a great deal of work required to keep the site FireSafe -- clearing 10 feet around each building including overhanging branches.

About camping on site: Chemical toilet with tank of non-drinkable water. No cell phone reception. Ticks, Mosquitos, Rattle snakes.
    Bring your own equipment (no generators, please). Bring your own food & water (mineral water on site not recommended for drinking).

Why come: It's exciting!! It's only us ( and a few of Paul Nam's good friends )!
    It's a full moon! It's a mineral-soak opportunity (legally).

Friday, June 25th through Sunday June 27th.
    Gilroy Yamato Hot Springs, Gilroy, CA

RSVP via email or phone:
    Full Name(s)
    email
    phone
    mailing (physical) address
    Tools you can bring:
    Talents & experience.
    Professional photographers are subject to an additional State Parks usage fee.
    Amateur photographers -- may we have permission to use your images at no cost?
    Does anyone want to organize a group meal or other Food? (i.e.: solicit & pick-up donations)

Misc info:
    We don't yet have clearance with CA Parks or CDForestry regarding open fire. We expect the response will be negative, but we're requesting permission to use a Fire Pit -- which might be available via CA Parks. Plan on gas camp stoves, not wood-burning fires or bbq. Or eat PBJ sandwiches...

Laura Dominguez-Yon
    Friends of Gilroy Hot Springs
    info @ FriendsOfGilroyHotSprings . org
    Professional photographers are subject to an additional State Parks usage fee.
    Amateur photographers -- may we have permission to use your images at no cost?
    Does anyone want to organize a group meal or other Food? (i.e.: solicit & pick-up donations)
    Last edited by Jack Burns; 06-18-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0