Henry W Coe 2nd Sat Trail Work Jan 8 Frog Lake Tr Meets @ HQ 1030am (Apricots)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Henry W Coe 2nd Sat Trail Work Jan 8 Frog Lake Tr Meets @ HQ 1030am (Apricots)

In Coe-operation with California State Parks, ROMP, the PRA, the FOGHS, and MTBR, we bring you
    "Henry W Coe 2nd Sat Trail Work Jan 8 Frog Lake Trail Meets @ HQ 1030am (Apricots)".

Listen up: This trail day meets up at Henry W Coe State Park Headquarters at 10:30 am.
    We have selected an hour and a half later start time than usual. We are meeting at a different location than usual. Directions to HQ.

The trail work objectives for this trail day are manifold:

1. We will be working on a section of Frog Lake Trail below the Frog Lake camp-site to mitigate erosion problems and prepare this trail for multi-use. Currently this trail is marked closed to bikes, and fixing this section of trail is a pre-requisite for opening it to bikes. The trail makes a fine connector to the classic Middle Ridge Trail. We will also saw through at least one fallen tree.

2. We will be brushing a section of proposed new trail corridor (close to where the Flat Frog Trail terminates at a stream crossing at the east end) under the supervision of a district archaeologist to determine whether or not this alignment is legitimate. This would be the terminus of a new proposed 4 mile long multi-use trail that awaits approval for construction.

The distance to this trail head is within hiking and biking distance from headquarters. However, plenty of shuttle transportation will be available. You may bring a bike, or just come on foot.

Meet in front of the visitor center. Parking is free for volunteers, but you must ask the leader for a parking pass to display.

This trail day is an important one, and we do need a lot of help here. It is important because it is a key to opening 2 significant single tracks for bicycle access.

One free high quality official park map is given to each volunteer for coming. A second trail day volunteer receives an official Coe Park T-shirt. We appreciate and love our volunteers. Snacks, gatorade, and water are also provided. Please join us. RSVP's are appreciated, but not required.

Trail workers one year ago, on January 9th 2010, deberm sections of the Jackson Trail.
    Last edited by Jack Burns; 01-04-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer
    In Coe-operation with California State Parks, ROMP, the PRA, the FOGHS, and MTBR, we bring you
    "Henry W Coe 2nd Sat Trail Work Jan 8 Frog Lake Trail Meets @ HQ 1030am (Apricots)".

This trail day is an important one, and we do need a lot of help here. It is important because it is a key to opening 2 significant single tracks for bicycle access.
    Huge. I'll be there unless work is mandatory. 10:30 is a good time.

middle ring single track

If you want the Pliny...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Huge. I'll be there unless work is mandatory. 10:30 is a good time.
    ...you'll be there and FYI the prizes are awarded at the end of the TWD!

("...must be present to win...)
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg
    ...you'll be there and FYI the prizes are awarded at the end of the TWD!

("...must be present to win...)
    The real prize will be getting that section open to bikes. Th rest is just fluff
    I could use a map though.
    Currently planning on being there.

Spin-stabilized
    Rats! I'm working that day.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Will be there. I'm thinking I'll ride in from Hunting Hollow so I'll adjust my start time accordingly and meet you at Frog Lake trail 11-11:30am.

middle ring single track

Wet Feet...???

Quote Originally Posted by ratpick
    Will be there. I'm thinking I'll ride in from Hunting Hollow so I'll adjust my start time accordingly and meet you at Frog Lake trail 11-11:30am.
    If the Coyote Creek flow rate continues to drop you shouldn't have any trouble getting across:
    Photobucket
    (Note the 2 peak flows and the log scale)

We did the hike that you missed on the 2nd at the second peak of 1000 CFS---can you imagine what those falls would have looked like if we had gone on the 29th! (3X the flow!)

This page is a good one to watch for visitors to Henry W Coe who may be thinking of crossing creeks; maybe you've already seen it?:
    https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/u...cd=00065,00060

It's the gaging station on Gilroy Hot Springs Rd just below the CDF station. Should give a fair comparative representation of creek levels throughout the park although slightly delayed because of its downstream location.

loopy counter
    Trail work has many benefits. If we are lucky, Skyline Three Five (aka The Fortune Teller to Animals) will regale us with stories of future events.

Trail work has certainly proven lucky for this person, who recently found the end of the rainbow.

mtbr member
    With the later start time, what time do anticipate trail work to conclude?

middle ring single track

Don't blink...

...but there is some trail work being done in this video from last weekend at Henry W Coe---but mostly
    it's about a rainy day hike to view a couple of spectacular little waterfalls:

It's noteworthy that "knobs", the "Photoshop Meister" of this forum, also does his own stunts in this video.
    (you'll have to watch until almost the end)

mtbr member
    Updates:

1. "With the later start time, what time do anticipate trail work to conclude?"

Answer varies. 3:30 pm would be our hard close time. Yet as a volunteer you may conclude your participation at any time. Of course your reputation as a trail worker is diminished when you quit before everyone else does.

2. The District Archaeologist is not coming, and we will not be brushing that section of proposed trail this Saturday. Hence we are going to focus on the Frog Lake Trail, and environs, exclusively.

Will we see you there in the morning?
    Last edited by Jack Burns; 01-06-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Medium?
    I'd like to get a commute up the hill going. I've got a crew-cab. I could take up to four others and bikes. Alternatively I could just meet someone on the flat part of Dunne and hitch a ride. Speak up.

mtbr member
    My thinking has changed.. see you at HQ in the am!

More pie please
    2. The District Archaeologist is not coming...
    We don't need no stinkin' District Archaeologist:

Will we see you there in the morning?
    Yes!

///Charlie

ps mudworm, cool jersey
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Trail maintenance and development activities in Henry W Coe respect the values of cultural resource management. Crystal balls are not consulted in resource management issues.
    Last edited by Jack Burns; 01-08-2011 at 12:20 AM.

More pie please
    Yeah, I just goofin' off of knob's cartoon. It's a bummer that part of the project was canceled/postponed.

What's left, the prospect of opening up the Frog Lake Trail to bikes, is huge.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    What's left, the prospect of opening up the Frog Lake Trail to bikes, is huge.
    Since a bunch of bikers helped build it in the first place.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Since a bunch of bikers helped build it in the first place.
    What's the history? When was it built? Was it a ROMP or IMBA project?

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

More Torque
    Looking forward to seeing you guys there.

-D

mtbr member
    That was a fun day, as always! It felt very casual with the 10:30am start, but with so many hands (I heard 18?) we seemed to get a lot done.

We worked Frog Lake Trail, below the lake (although someone went up and put drains in the upper section - don't ask me how I know this!). But before we could even get to the site, many hands worked on clearing a tree that had obstructed Hobbs Rd...

From Henry Coe (Trailwork Frog Lake) - Jan 2011

Frog Lake Trail was in desperate need of attention. I didn't get any good "before" or "after" shots of the new switchbacks up to the lake which are now awesome to ride in both directions (not that you should, of course). I did get a shot of the crew organizing and the plan being explained:

Meanwhile, Roy and I found a spot further down the trail that needed some attention with the trail in danger of slipping away. We moved some rocks around and shored it up.

Then Jon came and got us excited about a major excavation to be filled with a couple of very large rocks from nearby and up the hill. Our first attempt at bringing a rock down the hill resulted in it continuing right on past the trail to the valley below.. that was amusing! But after much work, the trail was solid again -- solid enough for a wheelbarrow of rocks!

I rode the trail in both directions to see how it flowed; it was well planned and executed. The switchbacks were excellent to climb and descend - great job!

With a few hours of light left, Skyline35, Plymmer & I headed to Middle Ridge and had much fun descending that (the trail is in perfect condition). We made a few creek crossings, all getting wet feet (click for video of Skyline35 schooling us):

At the bottom, we reached a creek crossing on Poverty Flat Rd and had to decide: Creekside, Cougar or Poverty Flat? Stone skipping always helps the decision-making process:

And so it was decided to make the climb up Poverty Flat Rd to HQ. I've only been on this part of the road once, with my bike disabled in Snr Ranger John Verhoeven's truck on my first visit to Coe, so I was somewhat eager to climb it. It was steep but I was thrilled to clean it in early season fitness.

Dense fog had rolled in up top making for a chilly climb back to HQ on Manzanita Point Rd.

Great day! Thanks everyone for coming out.

middle ring single track

Frog Lake Esses

I didn't plan this panorama very well, but you'll get the idea of some of the work accomplished today:
    Photobucket
    A great turnout of volunteers (only about 1/4 in attendance are visible in this view); much was accomplished!

Photobucket
    We were distracted by a huge mushroom clump!

Photobucket
    Fast Eddy receives his "prizes" from Sorcerer!

Videos coming shortly...

mtbr member

Coe Mountain Bike Patrol & Volunteers

On the way to the trail work trail work:

Trees Down on Hobbs Rd

Quickly:

There were 24 volunteers today!

The section of trail we re-established today currently remains closed to bikes.
    Stay tuned. Keep your fingers crossed.

Here are some of the Coe Mountain Bike Patrol peeps:

loopy counter
    Dense fog had rolled in up top making for a chilly climb back to HQ on Manzanita Point Rd.
    I was on Manzanita Point Rd during the 30 seconds during which it transitioned from sunny and mild to windy, foggy, and penetrating cold. Seemed to drop 10 degrees during that moment.

The earlier part of the day was great. The teamwork was astounding, and that trail was impressively improved.

I'm a "she".
    I, along with my end of rainbow, thank you for the trail work, photos, videos, and stories.

That was "the lucky person" taking a break from her tough life... Is remodeling a kitchen and a living room supposed to be so time consuming? We haven't even lifted a hammer yet!
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

More pie please

The story of my day

With the 10:30 am meet time, it was a leisurely start to the day. The weather was gloomy but once above the fog, it was
    spectacular; seemingly much warmer than the predicted 40-something degrees. The view off of East Dunn Road on the drive up:

I was about hour early so I did a short ride to see the Coe Monument (for my first time):

Back to the parking lot which I found now full of participants. 24, wow!

Here was the core work site on the Frog Lake Trail:

d-bug and JustJeff work on realigning the switchbacks:

ratpick rebuilding a rock retaining wall:

Diesel~ powers a wheelbarrow full of rocks and gravel past the rebuilt rock retaining wall:

Not even my crystal ball predicted this! One of America's Most Wanted was captured. TahoeBC, Chris wants her 1,000 bucks:

Dan51 did a lot of work then zoomed off to assemble a new Mojo for Shiloh, Dano Mojo Five-O, Dano Mojo Five-O:

After trailwork ended, plymmer, ratpick, and I did a super fun Middle Ridge descent:

At the bottom, we found the streams flowing. We crossed two and the third stream-crossing was full enough that plymmer could skip rocks.

At this point we elected to take the dreaded steep Poverty Flat fireroad back up hill. Up, up, up, and we were immersed in fog.
    Temps dropped but the exertion kept me warm (just two layers (jerseys)); my toes were frozen though. While I had to push my
    bike up some of the way, plymmer and ratpick pedaled it all. They kindly waited for me for what I'm sure must have seemed
    like an hour in that cold. ratpick snapped this photo of me riding up with my light on:

And here are a couple of my photos of plymmer and ratpick in the dark and the gloom:

Thank you Chris V-N, d-bug, Demitri, Diesel~, Eric S, FastEddy, Greg, JustJeff, Knobs, mtbjonny, Phillip S, pliebenberg,
    plymmer, ratpick, Rob G, Sorcerer, Zener, and the gang of PRA guys !!! Much was accomplished

///Charlie

Weather data from San Martin (which is the closest official weather station to Coe that I’ve found):

photo ratpick
    Last edited by Skyline35; 01-10-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: to fix a typo
    Long live long rides

aka dan51
    Another excellent trailwork day! I am sore and still exhausted from all that work. Good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35

Dan51 did a lot of work then zoomed off to assemble a new Mojo for Shiloh, Dano Mojo Five-O, Dano Mojo Five-O:

Wow, you are a true photo genius!
    I figured as slow as I was going through that creek that the photo would have turned out pretty boring, but it came out awesome.

middle ring single track

Everything but work...

This uncut video mostly shows what goes on before actually starting to work
    on the trails, plus a quick scan of some of the work accomplished:

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    Another excellent trailwork day! I am sore and still exhausted from all that work. Good times.

Wow, you are a true photo genius!
    I figured as slow as I was going through that creek that the photo would have turned out pretty boring, but it came out awesome.
    Well, you are a switchback building genius; you made a silk purse out of a sow's ear (or something like that) on that 30 feet of trail!

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

loopy counter

Video...

I was given the task of documenting the trail work day. All I can say is *phew*! I can grasp the soreness of muscles just watching this video. All the volunteers really put their backs into maintaining this trail.

The video runs long (14 minutes), so grab some popcorn. I had to cut quite a bit to fit in the youtube 15 minute limit, sorry if I didn't capture everyone's efforts.

Last edited by knobs; 01-10-2011 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Thank you for making that video. Everyone who was there will enjoy this, and probably some others too. It helps for me to review the day and try to see how it could be improved. Once a volunteer trail day begins, it is a dynamic thing, and getting off to a good organized start is important. People are the best though. Good people can put up with it all. All the work done on Saturday is impressive. The film of people grubbing away with the natural sound of the day and no over-dubbed music displays a glimpse of the inner-experience of doing trail work. You can see a rythym in the work developing. You can see the attention to the dirt; sometimes almost like someone stroking a pet carefully. Suddenly there's something in the dirt, and a pause, and then it continues. It's almost like riding a bike sometimes. The rock work was intense. When Jon let's a boulder go - holy! - watch out! It is definitely dangerous stuff.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs
    I was given the task of documenting the trail work day.
    Nice. Thanks! Good work all.

Members who have read this thread: 0