Henry Coe Trailwork - Saturday June 13, 2009- Mtbr.com
    More Torque

Henry Coe Trailwork - Saturday June 13, 2009

Hi Folks,

Our second Saturday trailwork at Coe will be a little less formal this time, since the guys from the State are tied up and unable to assist with shuttling, etc. As a result, we'll be riding to and from the work site. We plan on breaking early, to allow for some good riding afterward.

From HQ (E. Dunne entrance) the ways to ride there are:

Manzanita>China Hole>Cougar>Poverty Flat Rd

or

Manzanita>China Hole>Lost Spring>Mahoney Meadows Rd

or

Flat Frog>Middle Ridge>Poverty Flat Rd

We are going to meet at the very bottom of the Willow Ridge Trail, where it intersects Mahoney Meadows/Poverty Flat road (just north of Los Cruzeros). Meeting time is 10:30am.

Our goal is to brush and remove some fallen trees on the Willow Ridge trail. There is also some benching and light tread work needed, provided that the dirt has not turned to cement. If time allows, some of us may continue on to Black Oak Spring trail, which is also in need of some rehab.

Note that there is a 10K event going on from Hunting Hollow on Saturday, which could make parking in that lot a challenge and increase traffic on Gilroy Hot Springs Road.

Hope to see some of you there!

-D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Medium?
    If you can get John to give us the gate code, I can drive the tools and trailers one way, but I have to work, so I'd have to leave. What about Rob?

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    If you can get John to give us the gate code, I can drive the tools and trailers one way, but I have to work, so I'd have to leave. What about Rob?
    Thanks for the offer, Ed. The park folks are supposed to be driving the trailer to the work site today or tomorrow. Rob is driving in, so he can take some tools, but he's spending the night without returning to HQ on Sat.

mtbr member
    See you there! It will just over a year since my first ride in Coe - also a trailwork day!

More pie please
    I will leave HQ at 9am and ride: Manzanita Point Road Flat Frog Trail Hobbs Road Middle Ridge Trail Poverty Flats Road Shafer Corral Narrows Trail Los Cruzero by 10:30am.

Come along if you're interested. I think ratpick is riding with me. plymmer is undecided on where he will park.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

I'm a "she".
    Erik is on call, so I'll represent. I'm hoping to get to the HQ a little early and get a head start, but I fully expect to be caught by you guys either on Flat Frog or Middle Ridge. Just don't run me over, okay? Pleeeease...
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

More Torque
    Looking forward to seeing you guys out there! Just picked up a few tools for the group as well!

-D

King Of Tooth Tarter

Trail Work Re-Cap

So, we did some trail work on Saturday. And I thought I'd post some words.

I got up at 7:10 am without knowing if I would park at the Hunting Hollow Entrance or the Headquarters of Henry Coe Park to do said trail work. I decided to climb up to Headquarters. As I was headed up East Dunne Ave I came behind a pick-up truck with a with a camper shell and (gasp!) mountain bikes on top. I came to the realization that this was Paul (Sorcerer) and his wife Chris on their way up to head the trail work crew (of which I was a part). Further up the road I find I'm being followed by a silver Mazda with a bike on back. Woah. Another mountain bi....Ah! It's Chris Kangas also on the crew (not the Biking Crew, though).

So, I get to the parking lot and Mei (Mudworm), Greg (lokalyokel), Charlie (Skyline35), Patrick (ratpick), Coe volunteer Rob Glover and Springs Committe Member Wayne are all there getting ready to ride out to Willow Ridge Trail where the trail work was to commence. We talked a bit then we were on our way. Rob and Wayne and Chris, Chris and Paul would be driving in.

Flat Frog Trail and Middle Ridge Trail were lots of fun as usual. I did well on the switch backs and cleared a difficult one for the 1st time. Up Poverty Flat and and on Shafer Corral Trail. We waited at Shafer Corral Trail for a while. I saw Fred Stanke and a friend while waiting (he's on the ROMP list and I've gone on occasional rides with). We finally decided to go down and then got to the Narrows by the Willow Ridge trail head. There were Rob's and Paul's vehicles parked there. A note to start at the bottom was hand-written for us. Earlier in the trip we noticed that we all had Specialized bikes and as we set them up among the vegetation it looked as if the plants were miraculously growing mountain bikes:

We started work soon thereafter. I chose a saw and lopers. The saw was an new addition among 3 of Fiskars 18" Blade curved saws. As I cut I discovered a new found love for sawing up to 8" round branches and tree trunks:

I cleared all of the bottom of Willow Ridge Trail of those bothersome branches across the trail. This saw worked like cutting through butter! I could do this all day! and ended up doing that all day! I was clearing everything on the trail. I saw a stink bug on the way:

...and...is it too late for a puff ball picture?

I pulled up a log a little too close to the trail and saw the biggest scorpion I've ever laid these baby blues on:

It was fat! And huge! I didn't have time to put down a coin for size comparison.

Further on up the trail I caught up to Mei (Mudworm) who was brushing vegetation. Then we saw the crew come down from the top of the trail. They had taken care of the large tree falls in that portion. Then Dirk (El Hombre) who rode from Hunting Hollow appears to help out. So, I guess I could have ridden from there and not gone solo. Then I wouldn't have seen that scorpion. Rob Glover suggested that we eat lunch on a nice open meadow with a fine view. The clouds had broken away (it was sprinkling in the morning) and there were some white fluffy clouds in the distance:

During lunch at various times someone asked, "where's Charlie (Skyline35)?". That must have happened 7 or 8 times. Paul says, "If anyone asks where's Charlie again I'm gonna cream him!" After a while localyokel shows up riding his bike. He sits and eats with us then asks, "where's Charlie?".

On the way down Paul, Chris V-N, Rob and I cut and removed this'n:

We all got down to the trucks soon after that. It was time to talk and mess around. We discovered the tiniest frog ever:

and considered that it might be thirsty:

Then it was time for us to skip rocks. Many good ones were found (it takes a trained eye and a lot of experience to find the perfect "skipper"). It seems that once you start, you keep wanting to skip just one more. A god darned addiction. We finally quit but soon discovered another sight. A few newly born baby birds of some sort:

These things were damned ugly and their eyes, bulgy and all, hadn't even opened. Even so, they did tug the ol' heartstrings seeing them beg for food. None of us had the stomach to find, chew and swallow then regurgitate worms into the little fellows mouths. We all lined up to take many photos.

Most of the crew went home but I went with Wayne, Rob, Paul & Chris to work on the Black Oak Spring Trail. I put my bike atop Rob Glover's Land Cruiser and caught a ride because time was of the essence.

Paul was ahead and passed the trail head proving that it was in dire need of marking. We did after we parked then got to work on fallen trees, light tread work and clearing of leaves on the trail. Great progress was made and trees that had been there for years were finally cleared. It's amazing what great saws will do.

We got to Black Oak Spring and I filled up on water. This is a very good spring with fine water and its cold! I had time to take some pictures of the amazing clouds towards Hat Rock:

We quit around 5:30 PM. I said my goodbyes and headed down Blue Ridge Road to Jack Ass Trail. I had to take a picture of this amazing thunderhead on the way:

and along the Jack Ass Trail was this view:

...down Jack Ass Trail, down Poverty Flat Road, up Cougar Trail (that trail has gotten slightly easier) up China Hole Trail, up Manzanita Point Road. Sunset and a ride home:

Roy.
    Last edited by plymmer; 06-14-2009 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Loving the new photographic, story-telling plymmer

I accidently ran over one of those stinkbugs on the ride out - not being from these parts I didn't know what it was (thought it was a spider) - sorry to whoever was riding behind me!

I'm a "she".
    Gee, Roy, you sure have a way to turn the lovely adorable baby birds into some ugly alien looking creature!

Not only that, you exploit them! Here is the proof:

But I concur with ratpick that we love "the new photographic, story-telling plymmer"

Following are some pics I took. I've gotta post them before Skyline35 posts his!

The crew

Trail rerouting.

A few riders

Henry Coe

We rode in by way of : Manzanita Point Road Flat Frog Trail Hobbs Road Middle Ridge Trail Poverty Flats Road Mahoney Meadows Rd, and rode out by way of : Mahoney Meadows Rd Lost Spring Trail China Hole Trail Manzanita Trial Manzanita Point Road. I was really happy to have cleaned on this ride all the climbs on Middle Ridge Trail, Poverty Flats Road, and later the notorious "Mahoney Wall". I cleaned the other technical bits on the Middle Ridge Trail and China Hole downhill better than ever, but I was still a bit slow. Practice, and more practice is what I need!

Well, there must be some sort of telepathy between Erik and me. Even though he could not attend the trailwork because he was on call, he kept himself very busy. I returned home to some nice built structures in the yard that he put up for my skill practices.

Spin-stabilized
    Nice writeup/photos, Roy. I think you got a few of those purple millipedes for scale in the scorpion photo. That is one fat scorpion!
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member
    Post from bailout reminds me.. Skyline35 suggested, as we were climbing back up to Coe HQ, that we might do an out-and-back down Flat Frog before ascending to our cars. We did and it was immense fun - highly recommend it if you ever find yourself crawling back up to HQ and there's some daylight left.. Flat Frog is just as fun in the reverse direction!

I think the next group ride should be in Erik and Mei's backyard

mtbr member
    Saturday's session was fun, it was a pleasure being out there with you all. After checking out the trail running event in the morning, I rode up from Hunting Hollow and met up with bailout at the bottom of Willow Ridge. Some photos:

Staging area

Caption contest? I could come up with a few...

Besides the scorpions and assorted critters, there was a sighting of a new tree dwelling Coe species...

Skyline35 pushing the boundaries of micro-frog photography

Rock skipping lane

After the work I decided to ride up Willow Ridge trail in order to enjoy our work but my enjoyment got somewhat muffled - this is quite a steep suffer-fest of a climb.
    Great day to be out here though: nice cool temps, pretty skies, the meadows all California 'golden'... more pics here...

Tried out these mountain feed bags - they work quite well...

mtbr member
    While awaiting Skyline35's photographic contributions, I've a few to add..

The bird nest drew quite a crowd once it was discovered - don't quite recall how we stumbled upon it

China Hole was picturesque - we felt the need to pause and take in the serenity while discussing whether the switchback coming up was cleanable!

A game of bomb the floating fruit - for some reason, it took quite a while before the first stone was skipped on China Hole!

More Torque
    I just wanted to give a quick thanks to everyone who came out and gave a hand: Mudworm, Skyline35, Plymmer, Ratpick, LocalYokel, ElHombre, Sorcerer, Chris V., Wayne, Rob, and Bailout. It was great to see everyone, and Willow Ridge is once again ride-able without dismounting.

After the work, I had a nice ride up Schafer, up Blue Ridge, down Jackass and up Cougar. Fun stuff!

More Torque
    Funny that Roy stopped at exact same spot a few hours later, to take a shot of Willow Ridge, as seen from Jackass (last photo).

More pie please
    This is how it was early in the morning:

Middle Ridge was velcro and lots of fun! The excellent traction helped on the climbs; the group was 5 for 5 on that steep Middle Ridge uphill.

"Where's Charlie?" Well I didn't get 20 feet from the vehicles and encountered a bit of the Narrows Trail that was choked with thorny Wild Rose. The option to avoid this was to go through Poison Oak. So I started cutting back the Wild Rose...more and more...and more... ...later while I was stopped for a lunch break, locoyokel rides down on his bike and says the crew is now beginning to head back. So I never set foot on the Willow Ridge Trail. Opps! Here is locoyokel riding in through my little contribution for the day:

Diesel~: How were the new saw on Madrone/Manzanita? (Photo by mudworm)

Here is when everyone was back at the vehicles post-trailwork:

Afterward, we rode back Lost Spring Trail Mahoney Meadows Road China Hole Trail Manzanita Point Road (a few went out & back Flat Frog Trail) HQ. ..... l to r mudworm, bailout, locoyokel, ratpick, and SpecialO:

Riding out at the end of the day........

I am enjoying everyone's photos and write-ups. I suspect the trailwork may go on summer break now so let me say Thanks! to everyone who came out during the 2008-2009 trailwork season...you guys have been awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

///Charlie

Long live long rides

I'm a "she".
    I think there were at least two dozen cameras on the scene, so others, please do not shy away from posting your photos. We can never get enough of Coe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    Diesel~: How were the new saw on Madrone/Manzanita?
    I'm sure Diesel~ will make his assessment, but having stayed fairly close to plymmer equipped with the new saw, I could tell he was totally loving it and there was no stopping for him. I made sure my legs stayed out of his reach.
    Last edited by mudworm; 06-15-2009 at 02:36 PM.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    I think there were at least two dozen cameras on the scene, so others, please do not shy away from posting your photos. We can never get enough of Coe.

I'm sure Diesel~ will make his assessment, but having stayed fairly close to plymmer equipped with the new saw, I could tell he was totally loving it and there was no stopping for him. I made sure my legs stayed out of his way.
    Agreed; I've been using one for about a year, and they cut like butter, even through oak (non-petrified).

-D

King Of Tooth Tarter

SSores Arms Akimbo

Yeah. I think I had too much fun. After cutting through 50 bah-jillion 8" diameter tree trunks I have one sore right arm. Too bad I'm not ambidextrous. I cut through a large oak branch on the Black Oak Spring Trail and that was noticeably tougher. I also noticed that even when a branch is lying on the ground I was still able to cut it perpendicular and the fact that it was curved made it really cut on back and forward strokes. That and the awesome-ness of the teeth.Very impressive. I wish I had a movie of the sawdust piling up quickly as I cut. Man, that was amazing. I'm very impressed with the fiskars line.

Roy.

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by ElHombre

Caption contest? I could come up with a few...

Coe Cosplay Hilarity!

- Is this the way to the Abraham Lincoln Look Alike Sawing Contest?
    - A planet where apes evolved from men? There's got to be an answer.
    (...for the culturally vacant, this is a line from a 1960's movie...)
    Last edited by knobs; 06-15-2009 at 07:20 PM.

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by plymmer
    ...I also noticed that even when a branch is lying on the ground I was still able to cut it perpendicular and the fact that it was curved made it really cut on back and forward strokes. That and the awesome-ness of the teeth.Very impressive. I wish I had a movie of the sawdust piling up quickly as I cut...
    I wish too but I was too scared to stand anywhere near you with your saw, so this was all I got:

mtbr member
    What a wonderful day it was for the trailwork.

We have enjoyed a most productive trail work season. The photos, emails, and mtbr posts attest to the millions of smiles, and dozens of miles, the trail work helps produce in the park. I always look forward to the post trail work postings you produce.

It is your enthusiasm and your excellent suggestions, insights, and on the spot solutions that drive the volunteer trail maintenance out here in Coe. It wouldn't happen without you. Thanks!

Yes, there will be no 2nd Saturday trail work in Coe until September 12. We are taking July off.

However there will be a special tool maintenance day up at Coe HQ on the 2nd Saturday of August, the 8th. We will be calling out for volunteers for this. We'll be sorting, counting, inspecting, cleaning, repairing, throwing away, sharpening, painting, photo-recording the tools. We are going to make up a wish list of tools and accessories. The park tool trailer is in a state of entropic overload. It is disorderly.

We are proposing to fix up the tool trailer. We are also proposing to obtain a secure job box that we can chain to a tree to cache tools in the field, such that it can be dropped off by staff at remote locations to serve the crew. Funding for the findings of the August 2nd Saturday will be presented to Coe's Pine Ridge Association for funding.

Your ideas are welcome! Park maintenance needs do not stop even if the park is closed to the public.

We accomplished much more than was originally thought possible, and that is due to the larger turnout than expected, combined with the timely injection of new sharp saws, contributed by the spontaneous activism of Diesel and ROMP funding.

After most of the volunteers departed we headed up to Black Oak, as Plymmer described above. We worked our way down to the Spring and backpacker camp, and cleared everything out of the way.

Incidentally the trail day was in conjunction with the Coe Springs Committee tasks, and many springs were visited, inspected, mucked out, and flow rates measured. The springs are vital to extended trips in the backcountry, and support the flourishing wildlife as well.

Black Oak Spring and the backpack camp are only half-way down to the bottom of the Rock House Canyon, and the trail climbs up to Hat Rock on the other side as well. So much work remained. The Lick Fire of 07' is still fresh in memory and landscape. Burnt dead trees are continue to fall all over the park and the trails. hence the urgent need for more saws.

My wife Chris, and I, camped with the Rob and Wayne of the Springs Committee overnight at Arnold Horse Camp (which is a curious place with a great spring). Chris and I rode the Narrows, up Poverty Flat and Jackass, and over Black Oak Spring Trail on Sunday doing more work along the way.

The first thing we did was brush out the part of the Narrows about a 1/4 mile north of Willow Ridge Trail, which was making it tough to get a good shot at a nice technical rock section.

On Jackass we paused in a few places to clear things. A new sign was noticed at Blue Ridge Rd.

Black Oak Spring was fun to descend to backpacker camp, and then we pin flagged the trail a bit, and brushed out everything from there to Hat Rock. We are planning to ride out there next Saturday, and I think the group will enjoy the work, and bed things in nicely.

On Rock House there was one new fallen tree which we barely managed to break in two by pushing and pulling on it. Otherwise it is very clear for a Coe route.

It was always my intention to make camping an option for trail work weekends. I like it. If you would like to do this, please mention it, and we can try to arrange something. We can make it special.

Apart from me accidentally breaking a side mirror on my truck Saturday, this has been an accident free trail work season. Good job everyone!

Have a nice summer.

-Paul

Members who have read this thread: 0