Henry Coe State Park Saturday June 14, 2008 ~~~~~ Jackass Trail Volunteer Trailwork- Mtbr.com
    More pie please

Henry Coe State Park Saturday June 14, 2008 ~~~~~ Jackass Trail Volunteer Trailwork

This is the Jackass Trail in Henry Coe State Park; there is still a lot of debris from the Lick Fire (Sept 2007):

Jackass Trail will be the target of next Saturday's trail work day:

We'll be meeting up with Ranger Eric Griggs in front of the maintenance barn at HQ at 9:00am for work on the Jackass Trail. Transportation to and from the work site, with your bike if you want to ride back afterwards, will be provided courtesy of Eric and his State Parks vehicle.

Jackass Trail was heavily impacted by the fire. The trail is severely damaged. We will repair tread, and brush as needed. Most of the heavy logs and brush have been removed already by our crew a couple of months ago, however there are some things still in the way.

The bottom of Jackass Trail, a large meadow, right above where it meets Poverty Flat Rd will be considered for a proposed realignment to improve the trail flow, and take it away from the current fall-line alignment that bisects the meadow. We will create a proposal for realignment with the idea of getting the Sweco to build this at a later date.

Many sections of the Jackass Trail have been severely burned, leaving virtually no trace of the original trail. In places volunteer trail is now well developed. The incinerated soil is actually workable. Benching is needed in many areas.

I plan to ride out to the trailwork, starting at 8:00am up at HQ, and ride back (maybe doing Rock House Ridge) afterwards. Carpool with me if you are interested in doing an epic and a trail-day at the same time.

People are welcome to show up just to do trailwork too; there are 5 seats available on the ranger truck. The trail work will end by 1:30 pm, and passengers can expect to be back at HQ by 2:30 pm.

Please RSVP.

-Paul
    email: [email protected]
    Ranger Eric Griggs will probably have a chainsaw which will slice through those fallen trees.

I will be at Coe Headquarters at 8am for the "mountain bike in - trailwork - mountain bike out" option.

Directions to Coe HQ.

NOAA Weather pinpointed to Coe HQ.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

aka dan51
    Does the bike in route include Flat Frog and Middle Ridge?
    I'm currently a maybe for this. The bike is in pieces at the moment.

Another festivus MIRACLE!
    how far is the ride to the site? what time exactly?

derek
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

More pie please
    Dan - I intend to get to the work site via Flat Frog and Middle Ridge. Please know that the climb up Poverty Flat Road is—not to pull any punches—very, very ugly.

Bullet71 - I will answer your mileage question tonight. If you want to bike to the work site, meet us at 8am @ HQ. If you want to ride in the Ranger's truck to the work site, meet him at 9am @ HQ (in front of the maintenance barn). He can carry your bike so that you can ride after the work ends (~1:30pm).

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    Please know that the climb up Poverty Flat Road is—not to pull any punches—very, very ugly.
    Only if it's going to be hot. Oh wait...

I'd love to join, but I've got to help our scouts get ready for a big trip. And it would violate my don't-go-to-Henry-Coe-if-it's-going-to-be-over-85-degrees policy.

King Of Tooth Tarter

That Link

That weather link looks a bit conservative. I've heard elsewhere that it's going to be in the 90's and 100's in other parts of the bay area. Not to scare anyone off but plan for heat in a big way. Bring plenty o' food and a water filter (I will bring mine anyway). Electrolytes are a good idea also. It's a different world there when it gets hot.

Roy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    it would violate my don't-go-to-Henry-Coe-if-it's-going-to-be-over-85-degrees policy.

Friday Night: Clear, with a low around 65. Northwest wind between 5 and 8 mph.

and a nearly Full Moon on one of the shortest nights of the year

King Of Tooth Tarter

Ride At Night

There is a planned ride to Mustang Peak. The Nightriders are going out there. Jeff, you might want to check out when they are starting.

Roy.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Friday Night: Clear, with a low around 65. Northwest wind between 5 and 8 mph.

and a nearly Full Moon on one of the shortest nights of the year
    Very tempting. I'd be way more interested in singletrack than Mustang Peak, but I might be persuaded.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit71
    how far is the ride to the site?
    It is about 9 - 10 miles and 1,000' - 1,500 climb.

Plymmer is right about the temperature; Gilroy's prediction is about 10 degrees higher that Coe HQ. Blue Ridge, where we'll be working, usually has a somewhat cool marine breeze which must account for the 10° temperature difference.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

aka dan51
    Dan - I intend to get to the work site via Flat Frog and Middle Ridge. Please know that the climb up Poverty Flat Road is—not to pull any punches—very, very ugly.

Bullet71 - I will answer your mileage question tonight. If you want to bike to the work site, meet us at 8am @ HQ. If you want to ride in the Ranger's truck to the work site, meet him at 9am @ HQ (in front of the maintenance barn). He can carry your bike so that you can ride after the work ends (~1:30pm).

///Charlie
    I've been up that Poverty Flat climb twice. I remember hating it when it was 60 degrees. Climbing it in 90+ will suck. You going back via China Hole? That climb will suck too, since it's largely exposed. I may have just talked myself out of this.... Plus Shiloh is in Japan with the camera, so I won't even be able to take any pics

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    I've been up that Poverty Flat climb twice. I remember hating it when it was 60 degrees. Climbing it in 90+ will suck. You going back via China Hole? That climb will suck too, since it's largely exposed. I may have just talked myself out of this.... Plus Shiloh is in Japan with the camera, so I won't even be able to take any pics
    The first climb up Poverty Flat Road will be early in the morning so it will be cool. But this road gets a lot of traffic from the in-holders which has made a deep layer of power sapping moon-dust.

The ride back will be during the hot part of the day. The quickest way back would: Jackass Trail > Poverty Flat Road > Creekside Trail > China Hole Trail > Manzanita Point Road to HQ

If we're feeling it, the return ride would be something like: Jackass Trail > Blue Ridge Road > Black Oak Spring Trail > Rock House Ridge Trail > Narrows Trail > Mahoney Meadows Road > Lost Spring Trail or Poverty Flat Road/Creekside > China Hole Trail > Manzanita Point Road to HQ

///Charlie, obviously not in Sales

I was out in this area of the Park last Saturday (6/7/2008); a few pictures:

Some squiggly burnt trees on the Jackass Trail (I posted a picture of these in the fog once):

This is Poverty Flat Road just above the Jackass Trail; steep and dusty:

Black Oak Spring Trail; if we get here, maybe we'll clear the trail of these fallen branches with hand saws:

Black Oak Springs; the water was flowing nicely:

A couple pictures of how China Hole is looking these days:

Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Konichiwa!

Charlie, you should get Dan to go. He loves Coe in the heat.

Shiloh
    Can we talk tires now?

mtbr member
    If I can get there on time I'll bike in with the 8am group.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law
    Konnichiwa!

Charlie, you should get Dan to go. He loves Coe in the heat.

Shiloh
    You are saying that from a very safe distance!

And I suppose you want me to make sure that while Dan is at HQ, he buys that Coe wildflower book you've be wanting...

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

aka dan51
    You are saying that from a very safe distance!

And I suppose you want me to make sure that while Dan is at HQ, he buys that Coe wildflower book you've be wanting...

///Charlie
    Oh yeah, the flower book. I'm currently planning on being there, but there's a huge chance of me not showing up. It's hot.

I just keep thinking of the China Hole climb out. Maybe I'll take a swim before starting the climb, if I go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Yes, if everyone going could please remind Dan to buy me one of the flower guides. It's kind of home-made looking.

Can we talk tires now?

mtbr member
    Really enjoyed the day - well, except for the bit when my front rim broke on the descent down Jackass (making the first tracks on our new trail too

Glad we got to ride with Ranger John Verhoeven (and especially glad he was there to haul me and my newly converted unicycle back to HQ).

Oh.. and it was only about 85 with a nice breeze in places!

I'm a "she".
    8AM at Coe HQ? That's just too early! But Erik said since we had so much fun on our last ride (note: my only Coe ride), we should give something back. That makes sense.

It was an impressive turnout -- nine volunteers showed up for the trail work. Paul, the organizer from ROMP, per protocal, read the rights that we don't have from a piece of paper and gave a speech, "Blah blah blah... You don't have to work harder than you feel like to. Blah blah blah..." Equipped with the new knowledge, we got on our bikes and headed out.

Normally, with a group of this size, I could always find someone of my riding ability, but not on this ride -- everyone was a much better rider than me. They disappeared on Flat Frog Trail within the first couple of minutes. Some sort of competition must have been going on. Charlie, Skyline35, who I later found out is an impressively strong and fluid rider, chose to sweep. I felt bad while going down Middle Ridge knowing that he could have gone much faster if not for me, but in the mean time, his company gave me a sense of security that there would be someone there to pick up the deadbody if called for.

It was my first time going up the notorious Poverty Flat Road. It lived up to its reputation -- I had to push on two occasions. But Charlie cleared it without any problem. Dam, I need to get stronger and better!

We all met up at the top of Jackass Trail. The ranger Eric was there with his truck. It was hot, but the breeze made it tolerable. The guys worked hard at it and the achievements were notable --two major obstacles (downed trees) were cleared from the trail, some sections were rerouted for a better flow, and many unfriendly dead/live branches were pruned.

After the trail work, two small groups set out for two different rides. Chris, Roy, and Paul went to do a longer ride (ended up ~25 miles) that involved more climbing; Patrick, Charlie, Jordan, Erik, I, and ranger John who later joined us took another route: Jackass down -> Poverty Flat back up -> Shafer Corral Trail -> Narrows Trail -> Mahoney Meadows Road -> Lost Sprint Trail -> Chinal Hole Trail -> Mananita Point Road -> HQ. Our ride turned out to be around 21 miles with around 5000' of ascent. (Source: Motionbased and MTBGuru).

As Patrick already reported above, his 3 month old rim suddenly snapped mysteriously that resulted in a spectacular endo while going down Jackass Trail, so he had to take the VIP seat in ranger John's truck back to HQ. I'm almost certain that this unexpected episode will be talked about by everyone on the ride for the years to come -- it does make perfect conversation material among mountain bikers, doesn't it?

Jordan, aka climb_for_fun, impressed everyone when he cleared all the tough climbs including "Mahoney Wall", but he ran out of juice later on China Hole and suffered cramps. He didn't run out of water though because he carried 7 liters of water with him (this is his first time to Coe). On the other hand, I had a different problem -- I ran out of water 3 miles from the HQ. Although I knew Jordan had offered water to everyone, I decided to keep my Coe experience real -- what's riding Coe without having run out of water? So, I just slowly but surely ground my way up China Hole and the fire road. I was definitely not going at a speed to drop a fat fly that started following me while dancing around my head. But when a spider started building her web around my helmet and glasses, now, that was just plain annoying! "I know I'm slow, but would you leave me alone, Miss Spider?" (I'm not very good at taking either hand off the bar, so I had to blow air upward to get rid of her.)

When we got back to HQ, we all took our time cleaning up and chatting to each other (and later the other group also returned). It was a lot of talking -- I think we all got some endorphin rush going. Everyone had a big smile on his face. Oh, that was a great day!

Group shots:
    ============

Before the ride from HQ. Everyone looked fresh.

Everyone except Chris taking a little break -- the sun just sucks the energy out of you even though you are not riding. From left: Mike, Roy, Erik, Paul, ranger Eric, Charlie, Patrick, Jordan. (I'm no longer sure about everyone's MTBR handle.)

Here is Chris who's missing in the above group shot. That might be the only time he sat down.

Action shots:
    ==============

Misc:
    =====

I'm posting this picture just to show how good Charlie's picture looks (see the top).

Now listen up, these trees have been photographed by Charlie (both horiztonal and vertical)! Nobody should take more pictures of these trees any more. I'm making this annoucement because to my knowledge, it was Charlie who started the trend of photographing puffballs, but it was Dan who got the most praises for his cute puffball picture. Charlie has been out-puffballed! Unfair.

For all the pictures from my camera, visit my gallery.

Oh, I've gotta press the Post button now. I see Charlie is also reading this thread. Maybe he is ready to post his pictures. Gotta beat him to it.
    Last edited by mudworm; 06-15-2008 at 10:17 AM.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    I see Charlie is also reading this thread.
    Shhhhhhh, I'm at work!

Thanks everyone for coming out!!! Great write-up mw, I'll add more pictures later.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    I'll keep it short. Even then fingers don't want to move today.
    It was fun riding with everyone. Thanks Charlie for leading us back and keeping an eye on everyone.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jourdany...ey=nSscGhlbt-Q

More Torque
    Thanks to all who came out to help on Saturday; it was great to see some new faces.

Also, the pix you guys posted are great!

Here are a few of mine:

1-2. The group assembles at HQ
    3. The climb up Blue Ridge road, with Willow Ridge in the background
    4. Contrast
    5. Plymmer makes the final push to Jackass
    Attached Images Attached Images

More Torque
    6. Climb4Fun on Blue Ridge road
    7. Paul made great time getting to the TH, despite getting a late start
    8. The dude in the Jeep was nice enough to give Mudworm plenty of room
    9. Paul and Climb4fun re-bench a section of Jackass
    10. The group works on Lower Jackass, with Mahoney Meadows road in the background

More Torque
    11-13. People split into sub-groups for the trip back to HQ
    14. Paul heads for Black Oak Spring
    15. Los Cruzeros

I'm a "she".
    Erik just pointed out that Paul passed us on Poverty Flat in his sandals. The last picture just confirmed it. Wow! And then Diesel's Picture #3 just showed that how much he managed to pull ahead of Paul and Plymmer in order to take that picture. Man, you guys are animals!

Okay, I'm going to black-border my pictures from now on! That should make my photos look professional too.

More Torque
    16-17. Plymmer and Paul cool off in Coyote Creek
    18-19. Done at last
    20. Smoky sunset

More pie please
    Charlie has been out-puffballed!
    You're too funny! And right...

Again, thanks everyone for coming out and working hard. The day was somewhat
    improvised and you all were great about sticking with us. Hope the soot washed out
    of everyone's clothes! I'm enjoying everyone's pictures and have read mudworm's
    write-up over and over

///Charlie

Pictures:
    =======

Rolling out of Coe Headquarters in the morning:

Erik and mudworn riding up through Miller Field:

Staging area for the trailwork:

Ambidextrous mudworm is moving branches off the trail with her right hand and holding
    a saw while eating a sandwich with the left:

Diskus and Diesel~ just ripped apart the burnt Madrone and flung it off to the side of the trail:

Lunch break...let's see if I can get the names/handles right (l to r);Mike/Diskus,
    Roy/plymmer, Erik/Mr mudworm, Paul/Sorcerer, Ranger Eric Griggs, Mei/mudworm,
    Patrick/ratpick, and Jordan/climb4fun:

Post-trail work ride planning:

Coe Senior Ranger John Verhoeven's new patrol bike, a Specialize Epic, on the truck and on the trail:

Re-group on Jackass Trail:

Patrick/ratpick after the catastrophic failure of his front rim:

Late afternoon sufferfest crawling up Manzanita Point Road to HQ; Erik, Jordan/climb4fun, and mudworm:

Post-ride snack; climb4fun, mudworm, Paul, Chris, and to the far right, Roy peering
    into a container of mystery food:

The sun sets over Anderson Reservoir through the smoke from the Ventana fire:

Another picture of the setting sun...following Paul's Jeep on Hwy 101:

Last edited by Skyline35; 06-17-2008 at 07:19 AM. Reason: to fix typos
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for coming out and working on Coe! Those trees are huge and you all must have worked really really hard to clear them. I bumped out for not making this event, but after reading the stats, I doubt that I could survive the cruel climbs. Great job! There are also some really great photos.

Mudworm- your report is so much fun to read.

Charlie, Skyline35, who I later found out is an impressively strong and fluid rider, chose to sweep. I felt bad while going down Middle Ridge knowing that he could have gone much faster if not for me, but in the mean time, his company gave me a sense of security that there would be someone there to pick up the deadbody if called for.
    That's Charlie for you! He makes any tough ride a blast and rewarding by just being that patient and supportive.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by theseawind
    Thanks everyone for coming out and working on Coe! Those trees are huge and you all must have worked really really hard to clear them. I bumped out for not making this event, but after reading the stats, I doubt that I could survive the cruel climbs. Great job! There are also some really great photos.
    Thanks for the appreciation, Seawind.

Don't let the fear of hard riding keep you from coming out, if that's what's stopping ya. We almost always have 1-2 support vehicles along, with provisions for carrying bikes and gear, which creates a number of riding possibilities, depending on the work site.

For example, you could ride your bike to the site, and catch a ride out in one of the trucks (I do this frequently). Or, drive in with the truck and ride your bike out. Or, ride both in and out in the truck. Or.....you get the picture.

Flexibility and fun are key! Hope to see you on the trail one of these days.

-D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~
    Thanks for the appreciation, Seawind.

Don't let the fear of hard riding keep you from coming out, if that's what's stopping ya. We almost always have 1-2 support vehicles along, with provisions for carrying bikes and gear, which creates a number of riding possibilities, depending on the work site.

For example, you could ride your bike to the site, and catch a ride out in one of the trucks (I do this frequently). Or, drive in with the truck and ride your bike out. Or, ride both in and out in the truck. Or.....you get the picture.

Flexibility and fun are key! Hope to see you on the trail one of these days.

-D
    Thanks Diesel~! It's comforting to know that there are multiple options for combined trailwork and riding at Coe. I didn't know that there is shuttle option. Sweet!

Despite my ignorance of the route, I honestly would have come out on Saturday if I had my bike with me. I put it in for some repairs and didn't get to pick it up in time for Saturday trailwork. I'm sure I will see you guys one of these days in the future. Again, great job and thanks for all the hard works!
    Last edited by theseawind; 06-16-2008 at 02:05 PM.

I'm a "she".
    climb4fun, Diesel~, and Skyline35, thanks for sharing your photos. Y'all definitely got some good ones, which I aspire to. Hopefully, my new camera on the way will not let me down. Well, we all know that it's the camera, not the photographer, right?

Theseawind, I'm sorry we missed you. Thank you for your kind words. My report can be fun only if I have done a fun ride with a bunch of fun people. I look forward to more in the future. And I second what Diesel~ said, "Flexibility and fun are key! Hope to see you on the trail one of these days."

mtbr member
    I took my boomeranged wheel along to Go Ride Bikes in Redwood City, where I bought the bike - man, you should have seen the look I got when I said the wheel just collapsed on a dirt trail. "Oh no, this must have been an accident with a car, or something major like that. I've never seen a wheel just break like this".

I finally got him to call in Specialized to take a look. I'm sure the Specialized rep is going to say the same thing. I think my best bet will be Senior Ranger John Verhoeven's witness to what happened - Paul (or anyone) are you able to PM me his contact details (I suppose a call to Coe HQ will do as well)?

mtbr member

Thanks to you for your efforts at Coe!

[QUOTE=Diesel~]Thanks to all who came out to help on Saturday; it was great to see some new faces.

Just wanted to express my gratitude and appreciation to you all!

I'm a "she".
    Yes. Thanks to everyone who does trail work on a regular basis.

ratpick, I can vouch for you. Although I did not eye-witness the collapse (I heard the pop that sounded like a gunshot), I can testify that on Jackass Trail, that section of the trail is as smooth as a baby's butt. I should have taken a picture of everyone's puzzled face seeing where the wheel collapsed -- what's there to cause it??? Specialized should compensate you for your scraped forearm and a shortened ride.

Maybe you can show them this thread and the pictures.

mtbr member
    Yes. Thanks to everyone who does trail work on a regular basis.

ratpick, I can vouch for you. Although I did not eye-witness the collapse (I heard the pop that sounded like a gunshot), I can testify that on Jackass Trail, that section of the trail is as smooth as a baby's butt. I should have taken a picture of everyone's puzzled face seeing where the wheel collapsed -- what's there to cause it??? Specialized should compensate you for your scraped forearm and a shortened ride.

Maybe you can show them this thread and the pictures.
    Thanks mudworm!

I've dropped a note to Specialized's customer service team.. I'm sure they'll do the right thing but it's reassuring to know you'll back me up if it comes to that!

aka dan51
    Awesome work guys. I have no good excuse for not showing up, but I have a lot of poor ones .
    I'm making this annoucement because to my knowledge, it was Charlie who started the trend of photographing puffballs, but it was Dan who got the most praises for his cute puffball picture. Charlie has been out-puffballed! Unfair.
    Oh damn! Now I really wish I was there.
    Looks like "it's on" Charlie!!!! Or is it "You've been served".

-Dan, "the out-puffballer" My only claim to fame.

I'm a "she".
    Dan51, Charlie is the originator of the expression "out-puffballed", almost as cute as your puffball picture. Oh, here is a word of caution for you: you might want to start saving your allowance money soon because there are many wildflower books at the visitors center.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Looks like "it's on" Charlie!!!! Or is it "You've been served".

-Dan, "the out-puffballer" My only claim to fame.
    I think I was pwned!

///Charlie

A few more pictures:

"Inch by inch, I will get there!"

ratpick was jra...

..."just riding around" on a "section of the trail is as smooth as a baby's butt" when BOOM!

(You can see in this photo that there was nothing gnarly about this trail.)

I wanted to acknowledge Paul Nam's accomplishment here; I'm not certain of the whole
    story but I believe the Epic was donated Specialized, the gear necessary to bring it up
    to patrol standards was donated by ROMP and local bike shops, and this project was
    Paul's efforts...excellent Paul !!! Ranger Verhoeven has attended a couple required bike
    riding classes and has one more class before he is allowed to use clipless pedals.
    to both of you!!!

Long live long rides

Nov 2006
    You can add my name to the list. I watched you endo and thought "That was a crazy place to crash" primarily since there was not anything going on with the trail at that location.

We bought our road bikes at GoRide. I do not know if that will help at all but I do not mind going in and talking with them.

From what I saw you washed out going about 15 miles per hour tops while going through a mild bend in the trail. If rims start failing under those conditions we all may as well start hiking.

That rim failed at the seam for no apparent reason.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the offers of support on the wheel problem!

My puffball attempt feels so inadequate now that I've seen the masterpiece..

mtbr member
    Hey folks.. I got my rebuilt wheel back today. I wanted to post since I mentioned Go Ride earlier.. here's what happened:

Specialized took a look at the rim and decided that there's no way it can break the way it did without abuse - nevertheless, they gave me a rim replacement (albeit a different color and left it to me to pay for the wheel rebuild.

Go Ride Bikes, to their credit, charged me a token $20 for the rebuild (normally a $150 job). I took that deal since I want my bike back (Summer is a-wasting) despite my feeling bad for Go Ride (they have to eat this because Specialized won't step up) and my anger at Specialized for not standing behind their product.

I wanted to post to ensure Go Ride gets the cudos they deserve for stepping up. I've bought two Specialized bikes recently but I'm feeling considerably turned off buying any more when upgrade time comes around.

Thanks again for those willing to back me up. We now won't have to prove to Specialized that Henry Coe isn't full of doubles, drops and other trails that might exceed the "normal riding" that a Stumpjumper is built to handle!

In the meantime, I've been searching for climbs on my road bike to get my legs in Henry Coe shape for the next trailwork session. I'm determined to make it all the way up Poverty Flat Rd next time!

Nov 2006
    Nice to hear that Go Ride stepped up and is providing very good service for you.

To bad about Specialized.

Hope your back on the Mtb soon.

Some good local roads. Do a search on Google Bay Area Hill Climbs

I'm a "she".
    Specialized should compensate you for your scraped forearm and a shortened ride.
    Oh, was I a dreamer!

Ratpick, I'm glad that you got your bike back. Kudos to GoRide for stepping up.

Now, why not train on your mountain bike at Coe for the next Coe trailwork session? It's still mountain biking season.

Members who have read this thread: 0