Henry Coe State Park Saturday April 2, 2011 ~~~~~ Agua Extremo II photos- Mtbr.com
    More pie please

Henry Coe State Park Saturday April 2, 2011 ~~~~~ Agua Extremo II photos

Here is a stack of pictures from Saturday's Agua Extremo II, a Nightriders Production

We are definitely ON for tomorrow 8:30 Hunting Hollow. Headcount appears to be at least
    5 now. Weather guru says definitely no rain here this weekend but tomorrow temp will
    drop down to seasonal norm. I am bringing water filter. If you’ve done it – you know it’s a
    great ride. Bring more food than you think you need and extra socks and lube those
    chains up good. It’s not all riding, we will be hanging out at Hole-in-the rock, Mississippi
    Lake and Coyote Creek and wherever we want.

The day starts in a busy Hunting Hollow, it's "Ranch Day". Then BAM!—we get hit with
    the initial Agua, the bunch of stream-crossing right inside the gate. Up Lyman Willson to
    the Bowl trail where we're breaking out of the low clouds. First stop, the little stock pond
    on Bowl. Jim refers to it by it's ancient Ohlone name of Hock-A-Loogie:

Descending Scherrer Trail...Tom,

...and Eric

Jim and Eric said it was a huge project a couple years ago to cut those fallen pines in the background.

First official Agua Extremo sightseeing spot, Hole in the Rock falls:

Hole in the Rock to Mississippi Lake is 7 miles of dirt road:

Second Agua Extremo sightseeing spot: Mississippi Lake:

Back on the dirt road...

...it is 3 miles to Bear Mountain:

Descending Bear Mountain Road...watch for ruts!

It's like one mile downhill, steep, rutted, straight into Agua Extremo #3, East Fork Coyote Creek:

And the bike-on-the-shouldering begins...

3 miles of out-of-the-water...

...in-to-the-water...

The scenery was a little light on wildflowers, this was probably the largest batch of
    Goldfield I recall seeing all day:

We met back up with Paul near Shafer Coral. Paul and Tom sessioned a rock ledge:

After watching those two, we filtered water, rode up Mahoney Wall and Lost Springs, and
    here is my last photo...rolling Mahoney Meadow Road under a darkening sky:

Jim and Eric, thanks for organizing this! I think my shoes have just about dried-out!

///Charlie

Start at Hunting Hollow Hunting Hollow Road Lyman Willson Ridge Trail Bowl Trail
    Willson Camp Wagon Road Center Flats Road Sherrer Trail Kaiser Aetna Road
    Hole in the Rock Fall Kaiser Aetna Road County Line Road Mississippi Lake
    County Line Road Bear Mountain Road Bear Mountain Bear Mountain Road
    Narrows Trail Mahoney Meadows Road Lost Spring Trail Mahoney Meadows Road
    Coit Road Cross Canyon Trail Coit Springs Trail Grapevine Trail Anza Trail
    Coit Road Coyote Creek entrance Gilroy Hot Springs Road Hunting Hollow parking.
    ( 8:44 / 6:07 / 38.44 / 6,706’ )

Weather data from San Martin (which is the closest official weather station to Hunting Hollow that I’ve found)

Last edited by Skyline35; 04-05-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: typos
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Been waiting for this Excellent photos and recap!

Reading it, I so wish I was there, but seeing the photos I know I made the right call.

Another week or two and Coe is going to be an explosion of color.. booking up weekends...

loopy counter
    Nice Pics.

After surviving Eric's 2010 attack, that PO bush in the foreground has now decided to disguise itself with flowers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udeo907-Rxw [Skip to 1:40 for PO golf.]

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35

Jim and Eric said it was a huge project a couple years ago to cut those fallen pines in the background.

aka dan51
    It was a nice day at Coe indeed.
    Too bad we missed you guys. We has a super leisurely 14 mile ride. Leisurely except for going up Anza/Jackson and Serpentine.
    My new favorite descent there is now Spike/Timms.
    I picked off 9 ticks too. Flowers should be poppin in a few weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry Coe State Park Saturday April 2, 2011 ~~~~~ Agua Extremo II photos-img_9531.jpg  

Henry Coe State Park Saturday April 2, 2011 ~~~~~ Agua Extremo II photos-img_9533.jpg  

Henry Coe State Park Saturday April 2, 2011 ~~~~~ Agua Extremo II photos-img_9551.jpg  

Henry Coe State Park Saturday April 2, 2011 ~~~~~ Agua Extremo II photos-img_9561.jpg  

Henry Coe State Park Saturday April 2, 2011 ~~~~~ Agua Extremo II photos-img_9584.jpg  

Henry Coe State Park Saturday April 2, 2011 ~~~~~ Agua Extremo II photos-img_9592.jpg  

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Excellent pics, excellent looking ride. You still got it!
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

~~~
    Awesome pics! Can't wait to hit Coe again. But preferably when the agua is not so extremo!

mtbr member
    Looks like Fireroad Extremo also!. The wild flowers were already really kicking butt last year at this time. Hopefully the rains have just delayed them. Was really fired up about hitting Coe last weekend till I left half my flesh on Pagemill last Thursday. hopefully my return will coincide with a nice show down there.

Thanks for the report.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Looks like Fireroad Extremo also!. The wild flowers were already really kicking butt last year at this time. Hopefully the rains have just delayed them. Was really fired up about hitting Coe last weekend till I left half my flesh on Pagemill last Thursday. hopefully my return will coincide with a nice show down there.

Thanks for the report.
    Here's a bit of singletrack for you:

There weren't too many flowers out yesterday, probably takes another week or two to peak. So you timed your spill well... kidding, heal up soon! Ratpick informs me that Tegaderm HC is your (pricy) friend in these situations.

I went to check out some agua extrema of my own... those pools looked inviting, but the terrain a little steep on the other side.

mtbr member
    Nice Dirk, was out at Pacheco Falls 3 weeks ago and was scheming on the best way to get down to the pools for next time I went, how long was the approach? did you just stash your bike.

Also had a vision of a cool shot with the photographer shooting while hanging out at the bottom of that knife edge with a good view of that sheer drop off, while some one dropped along the edge of it higher up. But with my track record of late it probably would not be advisable

mtbr member
    Nice Dirk, was out at Pacheco Falls 3 weeks ago and was scheming on the best way to get down to the pools for next time I went, how long was the approach? did you just stash your bike.
    I did stash the bike and the approach was surprisingly easy (with the vegetation not being too lush yet and all). You just need to take the right turnoff point. I'd say you could probably even 'cross country' ride down to it (not that I would ever do such a thing, or encourage anyone to do it ). The very last bit (to the top pool) requires a bit of a scramble (and poison oak dodging). The hike down and up, including lingering around at the falls took me less than an hour.

There's also a nice semi-tall cliff from which I could imagine one could jump into one of the pools - however, I'm not sure whether one can easily avoid being flushed out of said pool, so I'm not going to endorse it.

Also had a vision of a cool shot with the photographer shooting while hanging out at the bottom of that knife edge with a good view of that sheer drop off, while some one dropped along the edge of it higher up. But with my track record of late it probably would not be advisable
    I agree this would make a cool shot and volunteer to be the photographer; maybe the rider could take a basejumping kit along, for an even better shot .

Slowest Rider
    Nice pics. Nice Report. Nice Ride.

I feel my Coe-addiction flaring up again ... must... fight ... it.. .
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Coe was wonderful! Nice pics Charlie. No puffballs though. : (
    Can we talk tires now?

mtbr member

Thanks for the photo extraordinaire extremo ride report!

And not only were the photos cool as is your usual standard of surprise and delight, but that plethora of data and graphs on the ride leave no metrics untouched! Would love to get out there again when the colors start poppin' in full force!
    Switchbaxr

Members who have read this thread: 0