Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM- Mtbr.com
    More Torque

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM

Hi Folks,

We are kicking off our fall trailwork season at Coe with a slightly different activity, which will take place at the Coe HQ, off of East Dunne Ave at 10:00 AM on Sat, Sept 11.

The goal is to show a little love to the park tool trailer (and contents), which we often have towed to various locations in the park, in support of our activities. If you've ever seen the contents, you know the meaning of the whole 10 lbs of $h** in a five lb bag concept. There is a LOT of stuff in there, so we really need to go through it, throw some of it out, sharpen some of the duller tools, determine what should go back in and what should stay at HQ, create a list of what needs to be purchased, and figure out the best method of organizing the contents, given the fact that it is often driven for miles over some pretty rough roads.

We are planning on breaking at 2:00pm to ride the Middle Ridge loop. We've been kicking around some ideas for this trail, which we'll discuss on the ride.

Depending on the turnout, some of us may break off and attempt to hand-saw out some fallen trees near HQ, that the park staff has been unable to get to, due to reduced hours, and lack of vehicle access.

Hope to see you there.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_09_04_coe_01.jpg  

middle ring single track

what to bring?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~
    sharpen some of the duller tools,
    I'm a newbie to the Coe Park trail volunteers (but I've been around the block a time or two) so what should I bring besides the usual boots, gloves and lunch? Are grinders available for sharpening the tools or will we be filing them by hand? (a round about way of asking if we need to bring our own eye/ear protection?)

RE downed trees I'm guessing the Parks Dept. doesn't want "volunteers" using chain saws???
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

aka dan51
    Guess you won't want to join us in Tahoe this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg
    I'm a newbie to the Coe Park trail volunteers (but I've been around the block a time or two) so what should I bring besides the usual boots, gloves and lunch? Are grinders available for sharpening the tools or will we be filing them by hand? (a round about way of asking if we need to bring our own eye/ear protection?)

RE downed trees I'm guessing the Parks Dept. doesn't want "volunteers" using chain saws???
    You'll be parking right near the trailer, so bring your safety stuff, and if you need it it will be right there for you. But it's usually just gloves, boots, lunch, and a good attitude that you'll need to bring.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    You'll be parking right near the trailer, so bring your safety stuff, and if you need it it will be right there for you. But it's usually just gloves, boots, lunch, and a good attitude that you'll need to bring.

Dan is spot on with regard to what to bring. Definitely bring sturdy shoes, gloves, and eye protection. If you have a favorite pair of ear muffs/plugs, you might as well throw them in the gear bag as well. I'm pretty sure that we have a bench grinder in the barn, and I'm going to throw in my 18v DeWalt angle grinder just in case.

As for chain saws and volunteers, I usually like to have one of park guys bring out the kit if we really need it. We've gone back and forth on this, and the two main concerns are fire and loss of limb. We had ~55,000 acres of the park go up in flames three years ago (fire started by an illegal burn), so we're pretty careful when it comes to things that could facilitate combustion, such as vehicle exhaust systems and power tools. As for injuries, we have a good record, so on my watch, I tend to steer toward sticking with the hand tools.

Thanks,

-D

middle ring single track

wait until it rains?

As for chain saws and volunteers,
    I have no problem with using a hand saw if it only takes a cut or two to clear a trail, but what I'm seeing in that photo may need to be sectioned in a bunch of places as it looks like it'll want to roll onto the trail. How many fallen trees are there? Just sayin'...

(I'll be there, chainsaw or not!)

More Torque
    I have no problem with using a hand saw if it only takes a cut or two to clear a trail, but what I'm seeing in that photo may need to be sectioned in a bunch of places as it looks like it'll want to roll onto the trail. How many fallen trees are there? Just sayin'...

(I'll be there, chainsaw or not!)
    Just to be clear, I'm not 100% sure if we will be doing any tree removal this weekend; it will depend on who shows, how much time we have, and whether or not my other buddy brings his two man crosscut saw.

You can get through some pretty big stuff with the hand saws (below), but as you mention, some tasks are best left to the chainsaw:

from Diesel on Vimeo.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2009_06_13_coe_14.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2009_06_13_coe_16.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2009_06_13_coe_27.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_07_07_coe_093.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_07_07_coe_097.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_07_07_coe_114.jpg  

middle ring single track

you mean like this???

Just to be clear, I'm not 100% sure if we will be doing any tree removal this weekend; it will depend on who shows, how much time we have, and whether or not my other buddy brings his two man crosscut saw.
    Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-1936_bc-.jpg

A lot of my family has been involved in forestry; this is my dad cutting up an eucalyptus tree circa 1936 BC (Before Chainsaw!)

More Torque

A lot of my family has been involved in forestry; this is my dad cutting up an eucalyptus tree circa 1936 BC (Before Chainsaw!)
    Awesome, awesome, photo! Still have that thing in the garage?

-D

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm screwed...

Quote Originally Posted by d-bug
    Guess you won't want to join us in Tahoe this weekend...

Here's to sweat in your eye.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by mudncrud
    I'm screwed...
    Puhleeeeease.....

I don't think I've ever seen you without a smile on your face.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2009_01_17_coe_030cr.jpg  

I'm a "she".
    Dang! Diesel~, mudncrud is not me! Depending on the day, I may even say I don't know him. But according to what I read on the Internet, this guy does not smile much, so he might just be right on that attitude thing.

Sorry we'll miss the trailwork because we have an old-friends reunion on Saturday afternoon that was scheduled months ahead.

P.S. On an unrelated side note: Diesel~, I read your MBO report and watched Ron's video. Nice job! We were also there (in Oakridge) but in the week after MBO. Cannot wait to go back!
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    Dang! Diesel~, mudncrud is not me! Depending on the day, I may even say I don't know him. But according to what I read on the Internet, this guy does not smile much, so he might just be right on that attitude thing.

Sorry we'll miss the trailwork because we have an old-friends reunion on Saturday afternoon that was scheduled months ahead.

P.S. On an unrelated side note: Diesel~, I read your MBO report and watched Ron's video. Nice job! We were also there (in Oakridge) but in the week after MBO. Cannot wait to go back!
    Damn. My bad. Your site name + mud + early morning post = confusion on my part.

Glad you enjoyed the MBO post and time in Oakridge. Great place! We'll catch you guys another time, so have fun with your friends.

-D

mtbr member
    Fall circus anyone?????

middle ring single track

Sven forgot his saw...

But the intrepid volunteer patrol had a go at "Diesel's tree":
    Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-img_3156r.jpg

Taking turns using a folding saw about the size of a Swiss Army knife:
    Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-img_3155r.jpg

Watch for coming vids of the whole process:
    Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-img_3158r.jpg

Eventually the trail was opened---I neglected to take an "after picture" but I think the other lads will be posting some.

loopy counter
    I got there late and felt a little out of place, but I got to help plot this seasons trail work targets. In this photo, the team focuses as future plans are laid.

At about 3pm, we headed out for a trail ride. Flat Frog is fun as ever. Along the way to Middle Ridge is the trail blocking oak shown in photos above. It's now cleared and eggs have been laid.

We continued down Middle Ridge. This trail is in fair shape, but it's not as tacky as I'd prefer. Earlier in the day Diesel was demonizing the ruts, so there's a chance we'll do some work on it this year. Three of us continued up the Poverty Flat dust bowl as Pliebenberg wisely headed for Creekside and up to HQ. Our loop continued down Shaffer Corral to Los Cruzeros, Lost Spring and China Hole trails. There was a Bay tree down on the south end of China Hole Trail, and there's no way that was going to stay there, not with this crew. More eggs were laid. (Sorry no pictures, but I'm rapidly approaching enough video for a feature length film: "Saw".) We were under time pressure, the sun was setting, but that tree ultimately yielded.

We rolled up to HQ sometime after 8pm under a quarter moon.

And finally, here's the obligatory nature photo. An Acmon Blue:

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs
    ... but I'm rapidly approaching enough video for a feature length film: "Saw"...
    I'll have my kettle corn ready. Is it PG-13?
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

More Torque

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who came out to help.

Since we were starting a little later than usual, I decided to get there a bit early and do some riding/tree cutting prior to the official start.

I verified that there was still a large tree blocking the Frog Lake trail, but I did not like my chances of being to remove it by myself. Props to the other guys in the crew for getting it out later in the day. It was a big, dead (hard) oak, that looked as if it may have required a chainsaw. Apparently not.

Down middle ridge to Poverty Flat. 2 folks camped there; they had plenty of water and appeared to be having a good time. Up cougar, where I removed an arched tree that had been blocking the trail for a long time.

Down to China Hole, where I wanted to check the water level and see what sort of progress I could make on the large oak that had been blocking the Mile trail since the prior winter. It had fallen not too far past the China Hole/Mile junction. It was a big larger than I remembered, but I was able to remove the most egregious portion, while notching the lower step over. The remaining lower limb looked to be preventing the entire tree from rolling over, so I did not want to remove it with no one else around. Removing the upper trunk by hand would not have been safe for one person, and I was running short on time with only 30 min to get back to HQ from China Hole, for our 10am meet time.

I turned on the afterburners going heading up, passing a troop of boy scouts along the road to Manzanita Point. The road is a dusty mess, due to the recent grading, so be careful if you travel out there. I know of one reported crash, and there was one part on the the brief downhill, where the entire road is covered with 6-8" of tan moon dust. I kept off the front brake and floated through it, but the edge of control was closer that I would have liked. I made it back to HQ about 5 or so min after 10, which was not too bad.

The rest of the day was spent organizing and sharpening the tool cache, before spending some time reviewing our larger trail work plans for the coming year.

Good to have Paul join us for the first time.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_09_11_coe_02.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_09_11_coe_03.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_09_11_coe_04.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_09_11_coe_05.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_09_11_coe_07.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_09_11_coe_11.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_09_11_coe_13.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_09_11_coe_16.jpg  

Henry Coe Second Saturday Trailwork: Sept. 11, 2010. 10AM-2010_09_11_coe_18.jpg  

mtbr member
    We really got a lot done, and I am very pleased.

While I don't have time right now to dredge up photos and go into great detail, I'd still like to give an overview of what we did.

The tool trailer was emptied and the tools were inspected, repaired, or thrown away. We found that we really have no saws or loppers there (we've been using the ROMP Coe tool cache tools for brushing for a while now), and that we need to buy a lot of new stuff. We've got a good amount of dirt tools for a big 50 person event as needed though.

We've appointed the tool trailer to serve a 12 person crew. This way it is easy to get to the tools we need, and we can always simply add what we need if we get more people. [This is one reason why RSVPs are helpful.] Typically we've been getting 8-16 volunteers. More are welcome.

We sharpened all of our tools.

We spent a solid hour going over our trail work objectives for the season. We also talked about ways of improving response to fallen trees. We now have access to two cross-cut saws which can be transported by BOB trailer. Combined with vehicle access, this provides a way to get to some of the hard to reach areas efficiently.

Safety is a big concern. I did not go over this much, but removing big trees requires a lot of commitment and teamwork.

I'll get around to listing our trail work objectives on another post. This is going to be a great season.

We talked about incentives (rewards) for volunteers. We will start with offering park maps to trail work volunteers who show up. We can all use maps. More to come.

Long-term I am serious about developing 60 miles of new good dirt trail in the park. A good portion of it would be re-interpreting abandoned exisiing trails. This up-coming season will have us doing some serious work towards this, as well as the usual maintenance, and reawakening interesting and somewhat forgotten old trails up.

-Paul

Members who have read this thread: 0