Henry Coe Middle Ridge status?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Henry Coe Middle Ridge status?

Has anyone done Middle Ridge Trail in Henry Coe recently? According to the official trail conditions page
    https://coepark.net/planning-your-vi...ail-conditions

Open but badly needs some trimming. In the area of the previous prescribed burn manzanita and PO encroach the trail corridor. Dead snags are a problem. Also the fall line sections are getting seriously entrenched. Recently cleared of downed trees. (Posted by Paul V708)
    Is it as bad as it sounds? Not worth doing?

middle ring single track
    Bad is good in the gnarl department.

FWIW the Hard COEre 100 just used it with no comment/complaints .

From Qct. 4th:

Henry Coe Middle Ridge status?-img_3484rs.jpg

Henry Coe Middle Ridge status?-img_3485rs.jpg
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Depends on what you are comfortable with. I hiked it a few months ago and while mostly fine for MTB'ing, there were a few places I had a hard time walking through without touching PO. I noted as I hike if I was riding there'd be no way I could avoid it. I'm pretty reactive to PO so I try to avoid it. No issues with the tech.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the pictures! I am pretty sensitive to PO, so I'll do another loop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Tons of ticks a few months ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    We ended up doing the Domino Pond - Grapevine - Anza loop.
    Trails in this area are getting pretty overgrown. I wonder if they will no longer see enough biker use to stay in good shape, because of the parking ban (forcing an additional 4 miles of road riding to access this area).

loopy counter
    Quote Originally Posted by elenius View Post
    We ended up doing the Domino Pond - Grapevine - Anza loop.
    Trails in this area are getting pretty overgrown. I wonder if they will no longer see enough biker use to stay in good shape, because of the parking ban (forcing an additional 4 miles of road riding to access this area).
    I think those miles have zero effect on use. I’d estimate that park usage has increased.

Certainly park policies have reduced trail maintenance, but it’s not the parking rules that are to blame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    I think those miles have zero effect on use. I’d estimate that park usage has increased.

Certainly park policies have reduced trail maintenance, but it’s not the parking rules that are to blame.
    Interesting. What park policies, specifically?

I forgot to mention - there were 2 fire trucks and an ambulance showing up as we left. Anyone know what happened?

middle ring single track
    Interesting. What park policies, specifically?

I forgot to mention - there were 2 fire trucks and an ambulance showing up as we left. Anyone know what happened?
    The main reason Coe's trails seem overgrown are 2 normal winters of rainfall and especially the late rains of this last spring. (The drought years made trail maintenance easier in the vegetation department)

The maintenance effort on trails has been pretty constant for the past 6 or so years and has been about 95% uniformed volunteer labor. Coe did have more hours of volunteer trail help going back beyond 6 years, we would have twice monthly public trail work days in season but when interpretation of policy required that park staff be directly involved it dropped down to 1 per month and fewer months.

With Coe now being in a new District we're finally seeing State staff trail crews back in the park after a 15 year hiatus (no money in the previous budgets; remember---Coe was almost closed and sold off not too many years ago) and future public trail work days will be organized by staff and not volunteers.

Another thing that has changed is public willingness to come out and do the dirty work; the last public trail work day I was involved in we advertised to Coe's Meetup population which is over 1100 in number; we got 3 "regrets" and zero participation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Interestingly, we saw about 6 trucks with volunteer stickers on them passing us on Coit Road

middle ring single track
    Interestingly, we saw about 6 trucks with volunteer stickers on them passing us on Coit Road
    Yes that was the back country orientation for new uniformed volunteer trainees, it happens once a year.

mtbr member
    The best way to ensure that a trail is free from brush is to put in a few hours of work yourself with some lightweight loppers. Time spent clearing brush can be meditative and stress-relieving. Home Despot sells a very effective trail clearing device that is super light and fits easily in a camelpack (I put mine in a stiff plastic bag that once held breakfast cereal so I don't get PO oil in my camelpack). I also pre-and post Technu along with wearing long sleeves/pants since I am sensitive to PO.

Henry Coe Middle Ridge status?-small-loppers.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by knobs View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Personally, I've spent a lot less time riding Coit Road, now that parking near the Coyote Creek entrance is banned. (OTOH, I don't have a 'cheater bike' to make those rides easier :-)

And if any State Parks people are reading this thread: PLEASE open up a parking lot (just a bare-bones one would be OK) inside the Coyote Creek entrance, so we can park there legally once again.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by finlayson View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Personally, I've spent a lot less time riding Coit Road, now that parking near the Coyote Creek entrance is banned. (OTOH, I don't have a 'cheater bike' to make those rides easier :-)

And if any State Parks people are reading this thread: PLEASE open up a parking lot (just a bare-bones one would be OK) inside the Coyote Creek entrance, so we can park there legally once again.
    If you can't handle a couple of miles of nearly flat pavement you probably shouldn't be going deeper into Coe.

I like mtn biking, too
    I did the Coe 100 route a couple weeks ago, and middle ridge being overgrown is way overstated! It was totally fine. No trees down! (Edit: I ran into a guy along the way who said he had recently worked on it). Generally, I expect and enjoy the trails being a little on the narrow, primitive side in Coe. I've experienced a lot worse - trails disappearing or completely lost to scotch broom. IMHO the trails are better maintained than they were many years ago.

That being said, the northern end especially of Pacheco Creek trail is starting to get a little bit on the too brushy side - it is pretty close to getting grown over. But I can't remember off the top of my head anything else that was too horrible.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    About the parking at the Coyote Creek entrance (green bridge)- if the Gilroy Hot Springs Property will remain off-limits for the next few years AND no parking will be allowed by the gate, why not just move the gate to the Hunting Hollow bridge? At least that way you create a nice car-free zone for hikers and cyclists (and roller blades, and e-skateboarders, and baby strollers, kids on training wheels, etc.). Folks with small kids would appreciate that. Look at how popular that boring 2 mile paved loop is at Harvey Bear. Not nearly as scenic as following beautiful Coyote Creek.

As it is now, I see cars zooming down that road, get to the end, do a u-turn, then zoom back out. Maybe better to just have these folks turn around at a gate by the Hunting Hollow lot?

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by cragnshag View Post
    About the parking at the Coyote Creek entrance (green bridge)- if the Gilroy Hot Springs Property will remain off-limits for the next few years AND no parking will be allowed by the gate, why not just move the gate to the Hunting Hollow bridge? At least that way you create a nice car-free zone for hikers and cyclists (and roller blades, and e-skateboarders, and baby strollers, kids on training wheels, etc.). Folks with small kids would appreciate that. Look at how popular that boring 2 mile paved loop is at Harvey Bear. Not nearly as scenic as following beautiful Coyote Creek.

As it is now, I see cars zooming down that road, get to the end, do a u-turn, then zoom back out. Maybe better to just have these folks turn around at a gate by the Hunting Hollow lot?
    From what I understand, it has been considered, but it would shift the onus from the county to the state for maintaining that stretch of the road, and the state is concerned about assuming the financial responsibility. Would be an improvement from a user experience, for sure.
    -D

Sent via mobile

mtbr member
    Thanks Chris.

I suppose if only bikes and pedestrians are using that stretch of road, you would not need to pay to maintain it (other than the same maintenance that Coit Road sees- occasional clearing of fallen trees and slides). Let the pavement slowly revert to a dirt road. Let nature retake what was once hers.

I think the County would be thrilled to not have to patrol that road's end for late night drinking/partying on the weekends. Those party people don't venture far from their cars. HH would be the new party zone!

middle ring single track
    Not so much who maintains the pavement but maintaining the steel bridge crossing the Coyote Creek to get up to the Gilroy Hot Springs. State Parks still hopes to one day be able to open that site for regular visitation.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    I did the Coe 100 route a couple weeks ago, and middle ridge being overgrown is way overstated! It was totally fine. No trees down! (Edit: I ran into a guy along the way who said he had recently worked on it). Generally, I expect and enjoy the trails being a little on the narrow, primitive side in Coe. I've experienced a lot worse - trails disappearing or completely lost to scotch broom. IMHO the trails are better maintained than they were many years ago.

That being said, the northern end especially of Pacheco Creek trail is starting to get a little bit on the too brushy side - it is pretty close to getting grown over. But I can't remember off the top of my head anything else that was too horrible.
    You must have really been in the zone with tunnel vision turned up; you went under, over or around 6 trees on Middle Ridge that a State crew cleared on the Wednesday following the Hard COEre ride.

Henry Coe Middle Ridge status?-img_3515rs.jpg

Henry Coe Middle Ridge status?-img_3517rs.jpg

Henry Coe Middle Ridge status?-img_3518rs.jpg

Henry Coe Middle Ridge status?-img_3513rs.jpg

These guys hadn't been to this end of Coe before, I guided them up the trail. They usually work at HHSVRA.

I like mtn biking, too
    What?? I could have sworn someone with a coe volunteer jersey and e-bike told me he cleared some trees on MR just the before the HC 100. I guess either the hallucinations began in the daylight, or the ride amnesia has begun. :P
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    No hallucinations, some of those trees fell down after the HC 100, but before the crew pictured cleaned up on Wednesday. I would have remembered hoisting my bike over that really big tree. There was some clearing on MR right before the HC 100 by Eric, I believe.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    What?? I could have sworn someone with a coe volunteer jersey and e-bike told me he cleared some trees on MR just the before the HC 100. I guess either the hallucinations began in the daylight, or the ride amnesia has begun. :P
    Volunteer Eric made some of the trees more passable and reported the location of the pine leaner.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by cragnshag View Post
    No hallucinations, some of those trees fell down after the HC 100, but before the crew pictured cleaned up on Wednesday. I would have remembered hoisting my bike over that really big tree. There was some clearing on MR right before the HC 100 by Eric, I believe.
    2 of the trees had well established go-arounds (they'd been there for several years, a manzanita and an oak) and at speed they wouldn't had been noticed. 2 would be ducked under (a pine and an oak). 2 were ridden over (rock ramps). I rode MSR the day before the Hard COEre and the trees were all there. Slow down and smell the roses! (maybe you'll see the mules!)