Henry Coe Middle Ridge Saturday (9/11/10)- Mtbr.com
    Slowest Rider

Henry Coe Middle Ridge Saturday (9/11/10)

It's been a while since I've done HQ and Middle Ridge. Thinking of doing a loop out there starting around 10AM.

Middle Ridge starts from the north HQ entrance near Morgan HIll. The loop is around a dozen miles and under 2K foot of climb. But that doesn't mean it's quick. The loop has a big Coe-factor.

Anyone else? As usual, it'll be a slow ride if I'm there.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

I'm a "she".
    I optimistically predict that due to the recent discussions on footies to the 1/1000th-in precision, mountain bikes will flood to Coe from all over NorCal in their pursuit of footies!

Besides BigLarry's ride, there will also be a trailwork crew at Coe HQ at 10am and they will be riding the same loop albeit at a later hour (see this thread for details). The trailwork is open to every body with an attitude (better be good).

coepark.org is a good source for information. Just like any other State Park, visitors pay for parking ($8 at HQ and $6 at HH) unless you are there for trailwork.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    I Besides BigLarry's ride, there will also be a trailwork crew at Coe HQ at 10am and they will be riding the same loop albeit at a later hour (see this thread for details). The trailwork is open to every body with an attitude (better be good).
    Thanks for the heads up. Somehow I missed that post. I'll probably stop by and help for a little bit. But I can't stay too long or it'll get too hot. It's predicted to be 90 tomorrow. Last time I saw a 90F prediction, it actually hit 111F!

I'll pay the fee regardless. They need the money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sounds good, I'll try to be there but don't wait. I may get sidetracked.....

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by csuder99
    Sounds good, I'll try to be there but don't wait. I may get sidetracked.....
    After the remembering the high 110+ heat from my last Henry Coe trip, I was thinking of leaving earlier, around 7:30, since I had no takers last night.

I'd wait for you, but you're not sure if you're coming. So I'll probably go ahead and leave earlier at ~7:30 AM.

If you still want to go, the trail work crew (that are actually repairing their tools today) will be leaving for Middle Ridge around 2PM (but I suspect they could leave earlier if they get done). I may try to catch up with them on the return back up to HQ.

[Edit: I waited for response, but it looks like our (late) timing is off. I need to leave now to beat the heat. Another time?]
    Last edited by BigLarry; 09-11-2010 at 07:11 AM.

Slowest Rider
    Hey csuder99, glad you decided to come after all. I was suprised and happy to see you when you caught up with me along the creek side to China Hole.

You even beat me to China Hole, where you stayed to the right while I did the usual jog over to the left side at the end. There wasn't much water, but there were even a few small fish and frogs. Note the knee souvenir from a root on Middle Ridge.

Creekside was more treacherous than normal. Find the danger in this picture. Hint, it's not on the left side.

I was climbing much slower than normal even for me. Even with group rides and stops, I usually finish in under 4h30m, but today it was taking me longer. Maybe I'm not in the same shape due to more shorter rides with the wife and more weight. But it seems maybe more than that. I wasn't tired, legs didn't hurt. Nothing indicating fatigue. But I just didn't feel right. Perhaps it was the 95-100F heat, as my climbing HR was WAY above normal, yet I wasn't running out of breath .

And then,...after taking the PowerBar Gel (4X sodium) just before our final climb out, my stomach went into fits. Drinking any water or any movement would send my stomach into massive spasms and worse. It took me an hour or two to crawl back up to HQ, laying down under a shade tree a couple times.

Although nornally gel packs have helped me in the past, the same thing happened about three years ago, the last time I tried to use one of these same PowerBar packets from the same box. Maybe something wrong in manufacture, or I'm allergic to an ingredient? My year-long neural issue also started days afterward. I need to investigate this more thoroughly now.

Anyway, I made it back alive. I'm VERY happy you took my suggestion didn't wait. We were within a mile or two of HQ anyway. And this sort of thing is better handled one one's own. I could have called for help if really needed.

I also happened to run into a long friend Plymmer (Right), along with new friend Diesel (Left). Before the trail work, Diesel took a little ride out Middle Ridge, up Couger, down to China Hole, then back up to HQ. All in ~2:45. He is a Diesel. Roy's a great Henry Coe epic rider, and in good company.

And I ran into pliebenberg for the first time as well, who also came to sharpen tools.

Unfortunately, I didn't get back in time to help the tool maintenance. I was busy puking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah sorry, I waited for a while at the end but had to get going. Glad to hear you made it out, I didn't realize it was getting so bad.
    There must be something with Coe, this spring at JL+Dan's ride I had a similar issue with the HR being on the fritz and I just schleppt along the trail. Weird.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by csuder99
    Yeah sorry, I waited for a while at the end but had to get going. Glad to hear you made it out, I didn't realize it was getting so bad.
    There must be something with Coe, this spring at JL+Dan's ride I had a similar issue with the HR being on the fritz and I just schleppt along the trail. Weird.
    Again, I'm glad you didn't wait. It removed some pressure off me so I could take my time. We were very close to HQ by then.

I have been doing very similar rides regularly, but wanted to stretch slightly today. Somehow it didn't work out.

I'm feeling very much better now. That leads me to think it was just a combination of being a little out of shape and the heat. As for the gel, I now suspect the problem might be that I'm burning thousands of calories, and my stomach desperately wanted easily digestible food, not a salt load, and rebelled. I've lately been doing bananas instead and they work much better.

Thanks for joining me on the nice "typical" Henry Coe ride. Yes Henry Coe takes more out of one than other places. But it makes you stronger. I hope I'm stronger now.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    Unfortunately, I didn't get back in time to help the tool maintenance. I was busy puking.
    Good seeing you out there, Larry. Sucks about the stomach problems, though.

Catch you next time.

-D

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~
    Good seeing you out there, Larry. Sucks about the stomach problems, though.

Catch you next time.

-D
    Glad to finally meet a couple new faces on Saturday.

I felt much better later Saturday. By the next day, Sunday, I was feeling fabulous. So what didn't kill me did indeed make me stronger!

As usual - Henry Coe Pain leads to Gain.

And no more salt supplements for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Sounds like a heat related bonk to me Larry. Glad you're Ok. And any 3+ year old supplement is probably not so good for you. Anymore.

Keep those things fresh and maybe try some better supplements like Hammer products...

Members who have read this thread: 0