mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. Henry Coe Dry Enough to Ride on Monday?

Will Henry Coe be dry enough on Monday to ride, or does it need more time to dry out? I was hoping that most the moisture would be absorbed quickly with these early rains, and wondering if I can squeeze in a ride before the next rain comes on Tuesday or Wednesday Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    deleted
    Last edited by pctloper; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:24 PM. Reason: deleted

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Should be open but you can call hdqtrs to make sure-the park serivice usually closes for 24 but they are the ones who determine--I am going to fort ord which should be perfect----

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by dreampath View Post
    Will Henry Coe be dry enough on Monday to ride, or does it need more time to dry out? I was hoping that most the moisture would be absorbed quickly with these early rains, and wondering if I can squeeze in a ride before the next rain comes on Tuesday or Wednesday Thanks.
    Go to the park's trails web-page here: planning-your-visit/trail-conditions

The closure notice is usually updated early morning. I'm 99% certain the trails will be open tomorrow.

1/2 inch in 48 hours is the magic number that closes single track BTW. Coe's dirt roads are always open but not always a good idea right after a rain.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    The other key factor to consider is : How much rain has fallen in the last 3 months. How saturated was the ground before this round of rain?

In this case and other trails... zero.

So I think its ok tomorrow here and most places
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for that website link to check trail conditions. I ended up going on Monday fairly certain the trails would be fine and in fact they were fantastic in terms of traction.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    What is the closest weather station there Moe Ped? Have a link?

It is TOO EARLY to tell right now. In these very unpredictable and wet systems, you can only make an educated guess the night before.

The way to tell is get a reading on: How much rain fell in the past week. And how much rain fell in the last 24 hours.

Soil condition, How much sun/wind the area has received are key too.
    IPA will save America

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    What is the closest weather station there Moe Ped? Have a link?

It is TOO EARLY to tell right now. In these very unpredictable and wet systems, you can only make an educated guess the night before.

The way to tell is get a reading on: How much rain fell in the past week. And how much rain fell in the last 24 hours.

Soil condition, How much sun/wind the area has received are key too.
    There are 4 automated rain gauges at Coe and dozens of ways to access the data. Problem is some are not very reliable as they need solar energy to transmit; long periods of clouds (batteries go dead or go bad)and the data is not accessible.

The one that's used for the website "1/2 inch in 48 hours" bike single-track closure rule generally is quite reliable (a sophisticated automated weather station) and can be viewed here Cordoza Ridge RAWS TT119. We extract the 48 hour data for this graph that's linked at the Trail Conditions page.

The best place to view the other 3 gauges is cnrfc.noaa.gov. Here's a screenshot from now as I'm writing this:

Henry Coe Dry Enough to Ride on Monday?-noaa-precip-example.jpg
    (48 hour precipitation raw data was selected)

You'll notice that if we went by this we'd be posting the trails as closed as the gauge in the south is over the limit. To keep things simple we always use the Cordoza Ridge station assuming it's up.

The other point which you were probably getting at is that the "1/2 inch in 48 hours" is very general and doesn't really tell the whole story of trail conditions. Some trails at Coe are good to go 6 hours after a heavy rain and others need 6 weeks to dry out. But "1/2 inch in 48 hours" is the law (as per Superintendent's Orders) so that's what we go by.

It's almost certain the trails will be posted as closed by tonight.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.