Help a New Trail Near Nevada City!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Help a New Trail Near Nevada City!

UPDATE: This event is sponsored by Fox Racing Shox. Many participants will receive Fox swag!

Malakoff Diggins Trail Day, Sunday, 5/7 - Please join in as we cut some brand new singletrack at the Diggins! We will install a whole new top section of the Slaughterhouse Trail near where the Rim Trail ends above town. This will also mark the opening of this trail to bikes for the first time after many years of effort… yet another big milestone for BONC!

We'll have some Fox swag for participants, food, drink and of course beer. I am sure some of us will ride afterwards.

Meet @ 10AM at the Rim Trail trailhead above town or meet at 9AM @ the downtown Grass Valley Flour Garden to carpool. If bad weather occurs, please call 530-274-DIRT after 8AM on 5/7 to determine if the event will be rescheduled.

For more info, visit www.bonc.org
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bike Daddy; 04-27-2006 at 10:32 AM.

Proud lame eBiker
    can you give me a bit better directions? Like how to get to the "Rim Trail" trailhead?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Directions

Head through North Bloomfield and up toward the campsite. The trailhead will be on your right. I believe that there is a brown gate there. If you get confused, ask a ranger in town.

I am still looking for a useful map.

mtbr member

So this trail

starts at the end of Rim trail and goes where??
    :p

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Into No. Bloomfield

Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    starts at the end of Rim trail and goes where??
    Down into town.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Sooo...

Quote Originally Posted by memine
    Head through North Bloomfield and up toward the campsite. The trailhead will be on your right. I believe that there is a brown gate there. If you get confused, ask a ranger in town.

I am still looking for a useful map.
    Take Highway 49 North from Nevada City, Turn Right on North Bloomfield, Right again at the stop sign and stay on N. Bloomfield as it drops down into the canyon, crosses the river. Then goes up to the Lake City townsite, veer right and then the trailhead there? Or do we continue down past the Diggin's and meet the Rim trail on the other side in the campground?

mtbr member
    Being relatively new to mountain biking I have never participated in any type of trail construction. Would someone give a new guy some info on what those who help would be doing or a general overview of a day like this? I'd be interested in coming up that day if I'm not working

Thanks.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Hi Hoe!

Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    Being relatively new to mountain biking I have never participated in any type of trail construction. Would someone give a new guy some info on what those who help would be doing or a general overview of a day like this? I'd be interested in coming up that day if I'm not working
    Lot's of hoe type action, Hoe for a bit rake for a bit shovel for a bit Hoe for a bit. be one with the hoe.

Plenty of BSing, Hauling stuff, maybe some pruning/ cutting back trees. And if there are big rocks that can't be hoed out of the way there might be some rock pounding. Did I mentioning hoeing (hoing?) What is the present tense of to hoe anyways?
    Last edited by Ogre; 04-28-2006 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Rock Pounding

mtbr member
    I love hos.

I mean, what?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Description

Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    Being relatively new to mountain biking I have never participated in any type of trail construction. Would someone give a new guy some info on what those who help would be doing or a general overview of a day like this.
    Sure. It would be great to have you join us!

We will first clear vegetation from the path of the new trail. This is done with some power tools and special hand tools that are made for the job. Then using hoe-like hand tools, we cut the trail bed itself.

If we have enough people, at the end of the day we will finish and there will be a new trail where there was none before :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Then goes up to the Lake City townsite, veer right and then the trailhead there? Or do we continue down past the Diggin's and meet the Rim trail on the other side in the campground?
    Head past the first trailhead on No. Bloomfield (the western one), go through the "town" of No. Bloomfield, head up toward the campgrounds and you will find the Rim Trail trailhead on your right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Better directions

Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    can you give me a bit better directions? Like how to get to the "Rim Trail" trailhead?
    My description of the gathering point for the trail day on Sunday seems to have caused some confusion, so let me try again...

Please meet @ 10AM at the *east* trailhead for the Rim Trail at Malakoff Diggins Historic State Park. In other words, as you drive toward No. Bloomfield, pass the first (west) Rim Trail trailhead. Go though town and head up toward the campgrounds and meet at the Rim Trail at its eastern terminus. Here is a map that shows the approximate location of this trailhead:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.163422&om=1

Sorry there are no better maps than this; State Parks is in the dark ages when it comes to publishing digital mapping information. More information about the trail day:

http://www.bonc.org/trail_work.htm#upcoming

Proud lame eBiker
    I've received conflicting reports on what day this trail work is happening?!!

So can you clarify Saturday OR SUNDAY??

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    I've received conflicting reports on what day this trail work is happening?!!
    It is most defintely on SUNDAY.

Proud lame eBiker
    Great. I'm all set for Sunday.

Should I bring anything? Shovels? Picks? Clippers? WeedWacker!
    Or just water and food?

Any organized ride post work time? I'm thinking I'll bust rump until 2pm and then cut out for a few hour ride. Any recommendations?

Cheers-

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Bring plenty of water, sunblock, food, gloves, Tecnu, bug spray and work clothes that you don't mind getting dirty. If you have a bladed weedwacker, we could use that!

Lots of riding nearby. I can suggest a ride on Sunday, but you can always head down the Missouri Bar trail and ride some of the South Yuba.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Recap

Today, we had a very productive day cutting a new section of singletrack on the Slaughterhouse Trail at Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park. Essentially, we roughed in 1/2 mile of trail and cut through a very thick manzanita grove with two chainsaws. We had folks come from as far as Winters (near Davis) to help out. Much beer and food was consumed (though no beer was had until AFTER the chainsaws fell silent!)

Thanks to everyone who participated. We need one more day to totally complete this section of trail, at which point it will be open to bikes for the first time. Riders will then have a legal trail to ride from the end of the Rim Trail down into town!

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by memine
    Today, we had a very productive day cutting a new section of singletrack on the Slaughterhouse Trail at Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park. Essentially, we roughed in 1/2 mile of trail and cut through a very thick manzanita grove with two chainsaws. We had folks come from as far as Winters (near Davis) to help out. Much beer and food was consumed (though no beer was had until AFTER the chainsaws fell silent!)

Thanks to everyone who participated. We need one more day to totally complete this section of trail, at which point it will be open to bikes for the first time. Riders will then have a legal trail to ride from the end of the Rim Trail down into town!

Yes indeed that was a FULL day of work and play.
    Forever in debt to Jim H. for bringing the implements of destruction, chainsaws and weedwaker. Then for being a maniac with neverending stamina with a chainsaw. Then post work for the tour of the Rim Trail, Missouri Bar trail, to South Yuba to camp.
    Then for THE biggest relief he hauled back up to town and up to the campground where we left the truck and he brought it back down to us so Erik and I didn't have to do the 8miles uphill! Thanks shuttle driver!!!!

Thanks for organizing this work day. Name another Sunday and I'll be there again!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Pics

Some follow up pictures. What a great day and effort. One more day and that section is complete!:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Proud lame eBiker
    Oh man....the memories....of that WALL of Manzanita!!! Auughh!! We WILL get our revenge on that section and finish it out soon. sooooclose

Keep us posted for the next day.

Members who have read this thread: 0