mtbr member

Heart check up- just in case.

I had read a few posts and known a few people to have heart related issues that seem like physical specimens on the outside. I had been noticing my resting HR has been low for years now and I can get it pretty high while running hard or cycling. Sometimes while sitting my HR would get in the low 30's and I would feel a small little "hiccup" and have to take a deep breath to help offset the feeling. I was concerned that I might have a symptom called "Bradycardia" or an irregular HR. I went to my Dr and got an EKG and he said all was fine. I explained that I didn't want to be that cyclist found dead on the road and everyone said, "A heart attack? He was so active and fit!" My Dr said he totally understood and sent me to see a cardiologist. The cardiologist also went over my EGK, listened to my heart. The low HR is based upon a strong heart with good vagal tone. My EKG showed all good with my hearts electrical system. The hiccup was described as a normal function of the heart (can't remember the actual term used) but most people never notice it except if you have a low resting HR. I take a deep breath when I feel it but it is sporadic. She explained that if my HR was low like it is and I could not make it go faster with exercise, that would be an issue. So long story short, I have nothing to worry about in theory and was told I could continue to race or whatever. The reason I posted this is that she told me that most men never come in to get pre-checked and that more should. So be your own advocate and also be persistent. Most of us have been to the ER with broken bones and stuff and our families tolerate it. So this is just a preemptive strike and my family was happy I went. This is a typical day with an easy run to finish up the day. When racing, my HR gets into the 190's. Also, if you ever feel chest pain, don't assume it is nothing. Here's to a great 2019!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heart check up- just in case.-heart.jpg  

They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    31 sounds very low. If your cardiologist is ok with it though....
    If your young and super healthy I guess it is ok.

I think part of the problem with mtbers is that even though we exercise all the time, we still eat like fat guys, and that catches up to us eventually.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Thanks for sharing bud!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sounds like there was no attempt to evaluate function (ie, no treadmill, not even a stair-step, not even a sitting/standing blood pressure). EKG has a very narrow range of usefulness, as does just listening to the heart. Not saying that the exam was inadequate in general, but you must be very young for her to be OK with such a superficial cardiac exam.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Thanks for sharing, bud!!
    Fixed.

Commas are very important, you stoner, you.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Fixed.

Commas are very important, you stoner, you.
    Wait! How do you know they weren't sharing some bud?
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Wait! How do you know they weren't sharing some bud?
    I think the OPís occupation prevents that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Bud lite

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I didn't provide every detail mostly because it seemed a touch boring. In retrospect, not knowing some info doesn't complete the picture. So I am 46 so I felt it time to get a check up. I was asked a slough if questions about general health, daily activities and so on and so forth. I provided a months worth of HR data which she went over in detail. BP was done 2 times, weight bearing and not. Hardly any change when standing. I asked about a treadmill stress test which I would much rather prefer over a chemical induced one. She said that it would not be needed unless I experienced a symptom. It would not show any blockages but rather show how hard my heart works and how quickly it can return to a normal(ish) rhythm. So my evaluation wasn't very invasive at all and I asked about it. She said that if I had said yes to a few key questions, she would order tests and things like that. The low HR and the hiccup were my main concern but the hiccup is so infrequent and not triggered by anything I could actually think of. So with that said, she said anyone can have a heart issue at anytime. She just explained that I am not a higher risk candidate because of low HR and that my active lifestyle is the cause which is a good thing.

mtbr member
    After retirement I may want to find out what all the fuss is about

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Bud lite

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I know you better than that.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    I didn't provide every detail mostly because it seemed a touch boring. In retrospect, not knowing some info doesn't complete the picture. So I am 46 so I felt it time to get a check up. I was asked a slough if questions about general health, daily activities and so on and so forth. I provided a months worth of HR data which she went over in detail. BP was done 2 times, weight bearing and not. Hardly any change when standing. I asked about a treadmill stress test which I would much rather prefer over a chemical induced one. She said that it would not be needed unless I experienced a symptom. It would not show any blockages but rather show how hard my heart works and how quickly it can return to a normal(ish) rhythm. So my evaluation wasn't very invasive at all and I asked about it. She said that if I had said yes to a few key questions, she would order tests and things like that. The low HR and the hiccup were my main concern but the hiccup is so infrequent and not triggered by anything I could actually think of. So with that said, she said anyone can have a heart issue at anytime. She just explained that I am not a higher risk candidate because of low HR and that my active lifestyle is the cause which is a good thing.
    Very similar to how it went with my doc. I'll be 57 in 13 days and posed the same questions that you did and the responses were much the same. I was assigned a very low risk score, so a stress test was not performed.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had a similar concern. Last year, I talked my Dr into prescribing me a "Stress Test", where they do an EKG while running on a treadmill. Supposedly it is much more valuable and accurate data than standing still.
    Came out with good results and gave me a little peace of mind.

mtbr member
    Hum, EKG doesn't tell anything if you've got anything irregular, they need to have you wear a HR monitor for at least 24 hours doing all your regular stuff and then go over that - have a few friends who've got irregular HB and that's what they have to do. I'd highly recommend you go maybe see someone else. Also, 46 with a resting HR old 31, that's seriously low, even when I was very fit at 37 my RHR was only 41, I'd definitely be looking for a 2nd opinion and more accurate testing.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    Sounds like there was no attempt to evaluate function (ie, no treadmill, not even a stair-step, not even a sitting/standing blood pressure). EKG has a very narrow range of usefulness, as does just listening to the heart. Not saying that the exam was inadequate in general, but you must be very young for her to be OK with such a superficial cardiac exam.
    Can you talk a bit about sitting/standing blood pressure measurement at home? How-to, red flags, etc.

mtbr member
    @pmarshall you are both fit and lucky. My problems are hereditary. When you have a heart problem it can be a vicious cycle because it's hard to make time to get the volume of exercise at 110 bpm that you could have in 20 minutes or half an hour at 180.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Can you talk a bit about sitting/standing blood pressure measurement at home? How-to, red flags, etc.
    Orthostatic measurement will reflect the cardiovascular system's ability to efficiently compensate for changing demand. Orthostatic hypotension is something to think about if you have a drop of 20 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) in your systolic blood pressure or a drop of 10 mm Hg in your diastolic blood pressure within three minutes of standing up.

There's very little that can be done in a doctor's office during an office visit to evaluate cardiac function. EKG can be done but that has a very narrow range of usefulness (the heart is a pump, not a television station). Heart rate and blood pressure are about the only clue in the officer that you can use to evaluate cardiac function, and that's only indirect information. An echocardiogram and/or treadmill stress test will tell most of the rest of the cardiac function story. That is ordered typically only if there's a reason, such as symptoms (like chest pain or the OP's bradycardia) or people at risk due to family history or age. No doubt that more liberal use of echocardiography would save lives, but it wouldn't be cost efficient. The possibility of you having a surprise heart attack is a risk your insurance company is willing to take.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Similar experience w/ the feeling of hiccups. Resting heart rate of 40-42 even now at 60. But that's hereditary. My Dad's 96. His Dad my Grandfather lived to 97 but when he was 90 and I was a kid he'd make us pick vegis at the farm all day w/ him. LOL he never got tired. Bottom line was I'm healthy and very lucky apparently. But like you went to the Dr just to confirm anyhow. Yes they asked lots of ?'s but no Family history of heart disease nor any questions answered that would prompt the Dr to be concerned. That was a few years ago and just did a 26 miler today, all dirt w/ 5300 feet climb and feel great. Ok, knocking on wood. LOL Point tho is go get checked if you feel something is not right.

bad reputation
    Being that Iím getting well into my fifties, I occasionally find myself thinking about this stuff (heart condition, not bud lite.) Especially after hearing about Mark Weirís recent major heart issue. Iíve done a fair amount of racing in the last 6 years, and Iíve never worn a heart rate monitor, but I know Iíve red-lined more than a time or two. Is there nothing that a normal check-up couldíve done to caught Weirís nearly fully blocked artery before it nearly killed him? I too would prefer not being one of those dead guys that people wonder how their hearts gave up on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I had a lot of clues in hindsight about my problem. Be self-aware. I know that's not medical advice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the PSA. Miss eating donuts with you.

Totally, and to the max.
    I had a pretty serious scare a few years ago where i was convinced I was having a heart attack. Sharp chest pain, high pulse and blood pressure. They took me in and ended up running me through a serious of tests. One was the treadmill. Hooked me up with all the probes and had me going through 6 levels of effort on the treadmill. After 20 minutes and a HR of 190, I had completed all 6 levels, and then they had me lay down and measure my HR dropping to normal. It came down remarkably fast and they seemed impressed. They wheeled me back to my room and I waited for the doctor to give me the results. He finally came in, with a printout in hand and was kind of chuckling. He said I aced the stress test and my heart was good.

But that I had a bad case of shingles.

No joke. That shit hurts. Still, I am not taking heart disease lightly, it's hereditary. Count each day as a blessing!

Nobody
    OP, great topic and thanks for sharing. I'm turning 44 later this month and I can't remember my last physical. You have inspired me to make an appointment!
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Paul, see if you can get an echo done. You and your hummingbird heart would benefit from it.

I aced all my exams, stress tests, multiple cat scans with dye and bloodwork when I ended up in the ER twice in one week.

Echocardiagram and MRI caught an enlarged aorta. Silent killer. No symptoms other than extreme pain and then death when it bursts.

Now Iím not allowed to lift, do any hard efforts, spin above 80-85 rpm or push a hard gear as it raises my BP. Hearteate max of 130-135.

Sold the mtb. Sold the road bike. Doing a lot of 45-60 min roller sessions at 13-15 mph/80rpm/120-125 bpm as Iíve been off the bike since September.