healing Vibes for Cam McCaul..Femur- Mtbr.com
    Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well healing Vibes for Cam McCaul..Femur

Dang kid, healing vibes, healing vibes. How'd I miss this one?

Snowjnky McDreamy
    damn. I hope he heals up quick.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

~Disc~Golf~
    wow...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails healing Vibes for Cam McCaul..Femur-cam-crash.jpg  

healing Vibes for Cam McCaul..Femur-cam-crash2.jpg  

Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    ouchie
    :wq

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ouch. Those stills are pretty gruesome. Cam posted his X rays, too:

The break:
    http://twitpic.com/2b3rfe
    And the titanium rod:
    http://twitpic.com/2b3rtx

mtbr member
    Looks like he butt checked the rear tire which bucked him off the bike. How do you not hit the rear tire with the seat so low? Was he just too far back on the landing? Props to all those riders who have the stones and skill to ride those features. Heal up.
    "Time won't leave me as I am "

ballbuster

Don't need to watch it...

Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Dang kid, healing vibes, healing vibes. How'd I miss this one?

but YOWCH!! That's gotta sting.

Get bettah!

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ I did not catch that, I thought his rebound was too high and he got bucked - but ya gotta figure a rider like that would have his settings correct.

Still, the crash in real-time seemed pretty uneventful until you pause and see how far up his knee was - still looks like a crash that happens all the time with the only result being dirty gloves and jersey...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails healing Vibes for Cam McCaul..Femur-cam-crash3.jpg  

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    ^Look at that though, he's blown completely through his travel and is buzzing the tire, and IIRC it's a pretty new bike for this season. Apparently the wind was wrecking havoc on the trail that day and pushing uphill against them. I hear he's already gotten a rod and pins set in it and that was his G/F (Fiancee?) there first. If you look at highdell's first still it actually broke before the hip hits the landing, all the force and leverage was on the lower leg. *Heck, he's lucky if his knee still has an ACL and PCL.

I'd seen him just before this happened @ TrailHead and was gonna wish him well, but was trying to get back to work in time and figured I'd see him likely afterwards. Why bother him as he might not really know who I am, right?

This has gotta suck, sometimes it can take well more than 8 weeks and carries some serious risks if any marrow/fatty tissue has leaked out.

You're only young and made of rubber for so long before the rubber wears out and they give you ti parts. Here's to him getting well soon.

~Disc~Golf~
    Just so everyone understands what I meant in my previous statement - Even though Cam was doing a seemingly physics-defying front flip, his landing and resulting crash (previous forward rotation notwithstanding) are pretty common - from pros to newbs.
    Just sayin it can happen to anyone.

I'd say 'be careful', but that can happen if you are careful. More like be aware, carry a cell, or don't ride alone etc.
    A fracture of the femur like Cam's could be life threatening. - Cut the Femoral Artery and you can bleed out internally within minutes. (Notice how Cam's GF(?) stopped him from trying to raise his leg? - Good move)

mtbr member
    No one exudes the pure love and joy of riding a bike like this guy. Heal up Cam.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Before

After

mtbr member
    is that why the pros dont wear pads, cuz with the air they get it isn't going to do anything anyway?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies
    is that why the pros dont wear pads, cuz with the air they get it isn't going to do anything anyway?
    I dunno about that..but his break would've happened with pads..IMO

I'm an old skater (real type - not the blades ) and we saw stuff, (my breaks included) that pads would not help - and some where they exacerbated injuries - ie - wrist guards.
    Though, there's a better chance of 'surviving' with pads - (I was just trying to say), you are still breakable - some 'pads' may even break you more!

Members who have read this thread: 0