Heads Up: 2 big 3 day bike festivals back to back Sedona then Moab!- Mtbr.com
    Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004

Heads Up: 2 big 3 day bike festivals back to back Sedona then Moab!

There is a rare alignment of the planets occurring in March in the desert. If you have some vacation saved up this is a dream MTB opportunity.

1) March 6 - 8, 2015 Sedona MTB Festival, Sedona, AZ Sedona Mountain Bike Festival.

2) March 13 - 15, 2015 Outerbike, Moab, UT Outerbike: Moab, Utah.

We used to bike Sedona but moved on to Moab about ten years ago. There weren't many single track trails in Sedona then, not that Moab had a bunch then either. I'm hearing that the Sedona folks have been building MTB trails to die for and now are competitive with Moab. This could be a perfect time to try them out. I haven't been to this festival in the past but if it is anything like Outerbike it would be amazing!

We were at Outerbike in Moab a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it! It is located on the Moab Brand Trails about 9 miles north of town and there is beginner to advanced riding right out of the festival area.

We would ride for a while then return the bike for lunch which Outerbike provides then pick another bike and head out for the afternoon. We returned around 4 for beer and a social time, although it is also very social out on the trails. Since the trails are close by and you are not allowed to take bikes away in your own vehicle there were plenty of bikes available in the afternoon, unlike the Fruita festival.

Kelty was making margaritas with a blender powered by a bike. Some of the vendors had beer and Outerbike was supplying beer in the main tent. (Hint: Santa Cruz seems to always have beer available in the afternoon.) Jensen USA had something fun going on at their tent every afternoon.

As usual you want to be in line about two hours before opening so you can rush in and grab your target bike. Yeah, it is a fun but competitive land rush type of thing for the hottest bikes. However, standing in line is part of the fun and you'll meet people from around the world.

Both festivals have shuttles. Outerbike shuttled to Amasa Back, Mag 7, and North Klondike. These are some of the most interesting trails on the planet. Before Outerbike in October they have shuttles to the top of the Whole Enchilada but that won't happen in March.

Anyway, you have all winter to dream about this. There may be snow on the passes on I-15 and I-70 and maybe at Flagstaff / I-40. We've hit snow in April.

We did the Red Bull Rampage at the end of September then Outerbike the following week. REALLY nice to combine such events!

Jim

mtbr member
    So what bike are you buying?

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    @ronski, the short list has 7 XC and trail bikes. We though we were getting away from XC but at Outerbike we rode the new Yeti ASR carbon bike that is 23 pounds. Only 120mm travel, less than our minimum, but I think the 29" wheels plus lighter weight made up for the difference.

We found the same thing with the Pivot 429 carbon.

We rode a couple of 27.5's but see no advantage. The 29's perform well for us at Downieville and Moab and that matters.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Ahh, I should share years of budgeting our Moab trips with you.

Figure $2,500 for two for a 2 week trip from San Jose to Moab. That does not include any long term purchases such as clothing at bike shops.

Our van gets 21 mpg.

We stay in RV resort cabins at $55 - $60 / night. Walk to the showers and toilets. Motel rooms start around $80 but not much room for gear and zip ambiance. At Moab Valley Resort we wake to terrific views of red cliffs. Moab KOA has good cabins, views, and camping but there are not enough toilets for the park capacity. Canyonlands RV park is nicely shaded and only a couple of blocks from the Moab Brewery in town but no views.

Decent camping with showers costs about $35 / night. Primitive camping for free is available and you can bathe in the muddy Colorado River but we're not into that anymore. Moab Cyclery has showers as I recall.

We eat out most of the time and split dinners to save calories. You can really save money by eating at camp instead.

We drink beer and wine at restaurants moderately. That adds up quickly though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I went to Outerbike. Outerbike's price includes lunch, shuttles, bikes, ride food--bars, gu, whatever. Do the math (but seriously don't show up it is terrible).

A nice trip for 2 to Moab for $1,700 is doable if you camp for free. $500 in gas (21 mpg in the Taco), $700 in food (eating dinners out is a luxury I cannot skip), $300 for shuttles (2x 6 days), $200 incidentals (beer, labor, showers, etc). That's pretty much our budget when we go.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    @Syncro, "Don't show up it is terrible"???

Yep, the difference between our budgets is mostly the lodging and we were there for two weeks every year for maybe a decade.

We used to tent camp there but a sand storm blew in and we are in cabins now. Aircon, heat, queen size bed, and bunks to spread our gear. We also bring a couple of REI aluminum roll up tables for inside the cabin. Always picnic tables outside.

For $179/person at Outerbike you get a lot of value and it is in Moab which is beyond belief MTB. Syncro didn't mention the free beer flowing in the afternoons. He was probably still out riding. We started drinking Kelty's margaritas before noon. It helped my wife on the technical trails :-)

Sedona's festival is cheaper and probably similar to Outerbike's benefits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    once too many people show up it will be! So do not go it's TERRIBLE!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    @Syncro, OK, I get it, yes terrible experience! Dragons. Snakes. Poison spiders! Rocks! Be very afraid!

This thread will probably interest about 6 riders of which 1 will show up.