mtbr member

Heading to Africa for 2 months...Tips???

Any packing tips, wish you would've brought, safety/security, must do... Starting in Cape Town on Monday ending in Nairobi 2 months later, hitting everything in between.

Have a free day in C-town so looking for some must rides if peeps have experience!
    Last edited by roughster; 06-07-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Not helpful.
    Where's the safe in your house? (Combo would be nice.)
    You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
    Khizr Khan

mtbr member
    tip: Bush meat is not what you hope it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    tip: Bush meat is not what you hope it is.
    Haha don't think I'll be partaking of that though I have ate from a trash fire at the pit in Rifle with a strong international contingent serving food of unknown sources, so...

Definitely getting a day of riding in at Cape Town. Would love to ride somewhere in/nearby JoBerg. We'll see from there!

passed out in your garden
    Dont go to Pretoria, not worth the time
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Be careful. SA is not a safe place now.

mtbr member
    Why would anybody go to Africa

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ When the weather is perfect this time of year in Cleveland, right?!

That sounds like a great adventure. If you haven't seen it, watch the original Endless Summer before you go to see how far we (and surfing) have come since the 60's. Happy trails--and travels!

"Africa is a shithole country." ~ Golfer-in-Chief
    Last edited by dirtvert; 06-08-2018 at 07:28 PM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    Because seeing new places and experiencing new cultures is the spice of life. I am not down with reading the same book over and over. I wish more Americans travelled. We certainly wouldnít be in the state we are now if more people had experienced life outside of the US and a Mexico all-inclusive...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Why would anybody Mountain Bike
    I know right, it's dangerous, you get dirty, it takes hard work. Why would anyone do that?

mtbr member
    In cape town you can either hit up Helderberg Trails or Jonkershoek. Then for something a bit more tame you can try Toaki and even tamer are the Tygerberg trails.
    Where about in Cape Town will you be staying?

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Check BKXC's Africa videos from this winter. Maybe you can hook up with Wayne from Ride Rate Review

Day 3 in Capetown

Maybe you can get a bit of guiding with Adam when you hit Kenya (Kijabi).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fIsD1lPLlM

Adam's channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKZ...bN-0yT8CtbFLXQ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Because seeing new places and experiencing new cultures is the spice of life. I am not down with reading the same book over and over. I wish more Americans travelled. We certainly wouldnít be in the state we are now if more people had experienced life outside of the US and a Mexico all-inclusive...
    I used to think this as well. Now older and worn from travel I prefer to stay stateside and see the places in this country that are off the beaten path. The one thing that always strikes me when I travel is there truly is no place like home.

Safe Travels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riyadh View Post
    In cape town you can either hit up Helderberg Trails or Jonkershoek. Then for something a bit more tame you can try Toaki and even tamer are the Tygerberg trails.
    Where about in Cape Town will you be staying?
    Tamboerskloof. Looks like they got some rain recently so hopefully some of the water concerns are getting better!

jct
    mtbr member

i spent 2 months in mali over the winter to study music. i have been 3 times over the past 10 years and they were some of the best experiences of my life.
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    uhm, next time you are in SVL, swing by. i have coworkers from tanzania, kenya, ghana, etc, they can def give you some info on some of the cool spots there (non-mtb related).
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice! Have fun and stay safe. I've been to Tanzania, my only trip to Africa to date. That might change next year.

fading away
    When in Nairobi make sure you stop by The Carnivore. Oh, and since the British ďtrainedĒ the Kenyans how to make cocktails, expect them to be watered down and uninspiring; instead drink Tusker Malt (in the green bottles), or better yet Guinness Stout (the stuff brewed by Kenya Breweries Ltd. is STRONGER in flavour and alcohol than the stuff brewed in the UK/Ireland).
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member
    Tamboerskloof. Looks like they got some rain recently so hopefully some of the water concerns are getting better!

Naa, we are still in drought! Dams are sitting at about 30%. There are some trails around there, but also all depends what type of trail you looking to ride. Most of the trails on Table mountain are just rocky, old hiking paths, fast and fun to be had.
    If you want something with more features then next closest is Tokai.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Watch out for the Tse fly!
    EXODUX Jeff

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by riyadh View Post

Naa, we are still in drought! Dams are sitting at about 30%. There are some trails around there, but also all depends what type of trail you looking to ride. Most of the trails on Table mountain are just rocky, old hiking paths, fast and fun to be had.
    If you want something with more features then next closest is Tokai.
    So would you say you are missing the rains down in Africa?
    I'm the problem....

fading away
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    😂😂😂😂
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Sounds like a blast.

You get travel vaccines done? I have battle royale going on in my body. I got the yellow fever vaccine yesterday.

You will need that one, I think. They give you a card to show you have had the injection. Youíre supposed to keep it with the passport.

Have fun! I for one, love traveling. Iím not checking off this planet without seeing as much of it as I can.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My latest travel modification. I donít wear jeans anymore. Hell, I donít wear them at home. I havenít put on a pair since I moved to Santa Rosa.

I wear pants like the Prana Zions. I went a straight 7 days in Tokyo with a single pair of pants. No issues. No stink or stains. It was awesome.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just got home from most of May filming in Kenya. Here's a taste of the good:

The bad was puking out the side of the truck while trying to direct a shot, sh*tting my brains out for a week straight. Nairobi traffic, Mombassa highway traffic, the constant nauseating stench of unfiltered diesel and 2 strokes, dodging the quat drivers racing to be the first to bring their daily crop into Nairobi first, and the invisible chiggers that leave your skin covered in the most itchy red spots (that are only now starting to fade). In short, everything you expect when traveling in the developing world.

If you get a chance óor desperately needó to get out of Nairobi (you'll most likely want to, two hours+ to drive about 10 miles between 5 am and 8 pm), go spend some time at Ol Pejeta Conservancy. Great game viewing, including more than a 100 rhinos (northern blacks, southern whites, and the last two northern whites left in the world), and some great lion viewing (the vid cover still above it at Ol Pej with Mt. Kenya in the background). Various levels of accommodation in Ol Pej itself and more options in Nanuki a few miles away.

Not helpful.
    That was tototally uncalled for.
    Khizr Khan

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by huntermos View Post
    Just got home from most of May filming in Kenya. Here's a taste of the good:

The bad was puking out the side of the truck while trying to direct a shot, sh*tting my brains out for a week straight. Nairobi traffic, Mombassa highway traffic, the constant nauseating stench of unfiltered diesel and 2 strokes, dodging the quat drivers racing to be the first to bring their daily crop into Nairobi first, and the invisible chiggers that leave your skin covered in the most itchy red spots (that are only now starting to fade). In short, everything you expect when traveling in the developing world.

If you get a chance óor desperately needó to get out of Nairobi (you'll most likely want to, two hours+ to drive about 10 miles between 5 am and 8 pm), go spend some time at Ol Pejeta Conservancy. Great game viewing, including more than a 100 rhinos (northern blacks, southern whites, and the last two northern whites left in the world), and some great lion viewing (the vid cover still above it at Ol Pej with Mt. Kenya in the background). Various levels of accommodation in Ol Pej itself and more options in Nanuki a few miles away.
    Sounds great!
    Khizr Khan

mtbr member
    Yep all vaccinations included the live Yellow Fever done. We got them last week and everyone in family seems good to go, no side effects! We all sprayed our clothes with Permethrin today, and have dry run our packing so we know it all fits. Soft sided (backpacks) and under 40 lbs while travelling for 2 months is not an easy feat ... for my wife and daughter. My son and I were good to go almost immediately lol!

We leave tomorrow. There is a palatable sense of urgency, excitement, and fear around the house. Sleep is going to be hard to come by tonight!

mtbr member
    so would you say you are missing the rains down in africa?
    lol

mtbr member
    Iím back! What a ****in adventure! Iím putting a video together that will have a small element of MTB. Only in Uganda along the Nile and Hells Gate, but most here will find it interesting (maybe?), lol.

Put it on the list peeps, Africa was all that and then some... and left my whole family changed for the better. Iíve been home 3 days and the warm glow of nostalgia has set in quite nicely! Iíll post the video to this thread when I finish.

now, 2 more days and I am off to Bogota, lol. In one week I will have been in Africa, Europe, N.America, and S.America. MTB excursion from Bogota on Thurs.

Living the dream

mtbr member
    Iím back! What a ****in adventure! Iím putting a video together that will have a small element of MTB. Only in Uganda along the Nile and Hells Gate, but most here will find it interesting (maybe?), lol.

Put it on the list peeps, Africa was all that and then some... and left my whole family changed for the better. Iíve been home 3 days and the warm glow of nostalgia has set in quite nicely! Iíll post the video to this thread when I finish.

now, 2 more days and I am off to Bogota, lol. In one week I will have been in Africa, Europe, N.America, and S.America. MTB excursion from Bogota on Thurs.

Living the dream
    Living the dream is right! Well done!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wow, I'm jealous... cubicle life, 9 to 5s and diapers. haha. Thanks for letting us dream.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    SWEET welcome back.

visiting developing countries is my jam. i love it.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to roughster again.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Mountain biking at over 9,000í is no joke! Fantastic ride in a little town outside of Bogota. If youíre ever there and solo, look up Nomads:

Home - Nomads Bike Tours - best mtb tours in Colombia

Juan was an amazing guide!

Heading to Africa for 2 months...Tips???-6e085c01-ce85-4623-9f69-9c0e79ad0ecb.jpeg

Heading to Africa for 2 months...Tips???-c8baa32a-5826-4fe3-9ef8-4706c4e894bc.jpeg

Heading to Africa for 2 months...Tips???-9c0be09c-1182-4e8a-8f0d-bb14d9b2de6f.jpeg

Heading to Africa for 2 months...Tips???-f95720a2-df02-4ae8-b039-a3070f1e6264.jpeg