Has this been posted?- Mtbr.com
    Groveland Trail Heads

Has this been posted?

http://www.raysmtb.com/index.html

This is an incredible indoor mtn bike park in Cleveland, OH. If we keep getting rained on in the future this could be an answer to bad weather riding. Think of all the abandoned buildings and space in Fort Ord.... yeah, I know the cost of land would kill this in populated areas in California. But what a cool idea
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I remember reading about an indoor park being built in Sacramento couple years ago, but I think its dead. With some outdoor legal jump parks being shut down because of liability and insurance, I'd have to think turning a profit on an indoor operation would be tough.

Just found the link... www.theskillsfactory.com... looks like they opened a bike shop instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've seen this posted on the DH forum a few times. It looks like a lot of fun, I could have used something like that during the recent rains!

What I REALLY want to do is buy a chunk of hillside somewhere around here and develop a freeride park. I'll get on it as soon as I win the lottery.

Groveland Trail Heads

Yeah, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Scarpa
    I've seen this posted on the DH forum a few times. It looks like a lot of fun, I could have used something like that during the recent rains!

What I REALLY want to do is buy a chunk of hillside somewhere around here and develop a freeride park. I'll get on it as soon as I win the lottery.
    you let me know if you win the lottery... I think I am a distant cousin of yours

After riding around Fort Ord and seeing all those empty buildings then reading about Ray's Indoor Park just had me thinking.

mtbr member
    Just to go with your ideas if you check out the latest IMBA newsletter, spr 06, there is an article on a forest in Florida where the locals and the land managers built a freeride/crosscountry riding area.. Could the same thing happen at Ft Ord? Our newly formed mountain bike club in Monterey, MORCA, will be looking into this.So....keep dreaming and who knows..
    Peter

This indoor park in Clevland has been written up quite a bit. apparently dude has figured out how to make it work and pay for itself. Its been around for 2 or 3 years now.

It has made me start thinking about the empty warehouses in west Oakland.
    If 50 mountain bikers got together with $1K each... just think of the possibilities!

I'm in!

My name is Mud
    I took a rode trip there in my former life in IL. The place was still fairly new, but was still alot of fun. Must say, Cleveland is a dumop. Cops kept coming to the hotel as parties were getting out of hand. THere were 3 strip clubs within one mile radius (this was not all that bad) Good times.

I'd post some pics, but mtbr is not cooperating for me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by derelict
    I took a rode trip there in my former life in IL. The place was still fairly new, but was still alot of fun. Must say, Cleveland is a dumop. Cops kept coming to the hotel as parties were getting out of hand. THere were 3 strip clubs within one mile radius (this was not all that bad) Good times.

I'd post some pics, but mtbr is not cooperating for me right now.
    3 strip clubs and a mountain bike park... never thought I'd be planning a trip to Cleveland!

Groveland Trail Heads

Cleveland...

Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    3 strip clubs and a mountain bike park... never thought I'd be planning a trip to Cleveland!
    now I am really interested

We could have Ed as our tour guide

Trail Goddess

Bike shop is temp.

Quote Originally Posted by bstyle74
    I remember reading about an indoor park being built in Sacramento couple years ago, but I think its dead. With some outdoor legal jump parks being shut down because of liability and insurance, I'd have to think turning a profit on an indoor operation would be tough.

Just found the link... www.theskillsfactory.com... looks like they opened a bike shop instead.
    They're still planning on openning the indoor place, but are having troubles finding a suitable location and funds were running low, so they openned a really cool bike shop. They offer something no other shop has, training on how to build up your wheels and how to work on your bike properly. There's also the skills clinics and Diva nights to encourage riders to get into mtbing. BTW the owner has a team which he races on and they've been showing up on area trails too.

Just my $0.02

Fiona
    Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!!

Groveland Trail Heads

I just went to their

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona
    They're still planning on openning the indoor place, but are having troubles finding a suitable location and funds were running low, so they openned a really cool bike shop. They offer something no other shop has, training on how to build up your wheels and how to work on your bike properly. There's also the skills clinics and Diva nights to encourage riders to get into mtbing. BTW the owner has a team which he races on and they've been showing up on area trails too.

Just my $0.02

Fiona
    website. Wow, what a cool shop. I really like the skills clinics and the "how to" stuff they offer. That is just great customer service. I do hope they succeed. I live in Santa Cruz but if I am ever in Sacramento I will visit Mad Cat Bicycles.

Members who have read this thread: 0