Has anyone driven from Sacto to Moab?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Has anyone driven from Sacto to Moab?

Would you do it again? It seems like a long haul, but I would like to camp and the whole flying/rent-a-car thing doesn't seem to make sense either. I am thinking of loading up the dogs and driving out this Sunday since I have all of next week off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yep

Boring as hell, but not too bad. Can't remember the exact time it took, I want to say around 12 hours or so drive time, with only gas stops.

Hill crawler

I did it from Truckee to SLC a month or so ago

Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    Boring as hell, but not too bad. Can't remember the exact time it took, I want to say around 12 hours or so drive time, with only gas stops.
    A month or so ago I did it with a couple of dogs and a load of ski gear. It's really boring (highlights along the route are the prison facilities !) but you can haul. I just went 70 and relaxed in cruise control. Couple of stops for the dogs and gas. I think it took around 8 hours. Moab is another 4 hours, I think, from SLC.

Winnemucca (another highlight ) is trying to become a MTB destination with their Bloody Shins Trails. May be worth checking out.

Hella Olde
    Yep, straight through Sactown form S.F. -Highway 50, though, any chumhauser can take 80.

Lonely 50 , just me and my tallboys...all night.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40
    Yep, straight through Sactown form S.F. -Highway 50, though, any chumhauser can take 80.

Lonely 50 , just me and my tallboys...all night.
    I was thinking about taking 50, it is more direct and shaves off about 80 miles. I have driven part of that road through the Nevada desert before, and it is actually alot more scenic than 80 - it is the"old west"- nobody out there. I am pretty sure the speed limit was alot less, so I don't know if it will save time. How long did the trip take you?

The Uber Carnivore

Did it three times.

Takes 17 hrs straight through. Leave before dinner and ride Slick Rock before lunch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Many times, usually on 80. About 12-13 hours from Sacto sounds right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

From Oakland ...

... it took about 17 hours. Went there via 80 and came back via 50 ... 50 is much more scenic but there are some speed traps in the small Nevada towns. I got a speeding ticket going 80 mph about 10 miles out from one of those towns. If you don't have a radar detector, it's pretty hard to keep out of trouble because the cop can be coming from the opposite direction and you don't have enough time to react.

A year earlier, I did the flight to Salt Lake and rented a car. Thought I could save $$ by driving, but when I added up the gas, speeding ticket, chains (a snowstorm suddenly developed at Donner's pass) and extra meals, I didn't save anything. To be honest, next time I'll fly if I can plan it far enough in advance to get cheap tickets.

The Turbo Blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Robski
    Would you do it again? It seems like a long haul, but I would like to camp and the whole flying/rent-a-car thing doesn't seem to make sense either. I am thinking of loading up the dogs and driving out this Sunday since I have all of next week off.
    I've done it twice from San Jose. I take I-80 to just past Reno where I pick up Hwy 50 and take the pony express route all the way. Parts of 50 can be strangely beautiful, and the closer you get to Moab, the more amazing the scenery gets.

I always stop in Ely, Nevada along the way, then do the final leg the next day. You could do it in one marathon session, but that just means you'll be tired and sleep a lot when you get there, so what's the point? My way, you get rest, you can drive safely, and you still have 1/2 a day to ride something in Moab. Of course, if you are starting in Sacramento, there's roughly two hours less driving than I have to do.

Coming back I stop in Carson City, then ride the Flume Trail in Tahoe the next morning. Then I drive home.

Stop in the town of Salina, Utah, and eat at the famous Mom's Cafe. It's good stuff. Oh, unless you like Bud and Coors, import your own beer!

mtbr member

Alameda to Fruita

17 hours, almost to the minute, including a good breakfast at Ben's in Green River (best hash browns ever). We took 50 and the only other stops were for gas. Definitely watch the speed traps on 50 and make sure you get gas frequently if you're on 50 overnight - there are towns, but we were sweating it because everything was closed.
    What would we do without trails?
    Get involved
    Join your local club and IMBA
    www.imba.com

Flyin Canine
    I just drove from San Jose in Apr and we took hwy 80 because the spd limiit is 75mph through most of nevada and utah that way. Took about 16hrs or so. We stopped in Wendover NV the first day. They have cheap as hell hotel rooms because it's a gambling town on the NV border

Coors, the american beer.
    I went to bryce canyon utah via 50 spring of 02 and didnt have any problems with speed traps

Also went to fort collins co fall of 02 via 80 and also no probs ... was doing about 90 to 95 mph both times.

50 you gotta slow down around the towns but other than that youre good.

I still need to get out to moab sometime.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

12-13 hrs

12-13 hrs if you hustle. its an easy drive imho, but i spent a winter driving from helsinki to moscow and back every 2 weeks, so 12 hrs is a piece o' cake. pay attention to the speed limit in towns. i have never seen a speed trap on the open road, but keep your eyes open anyway.

50 is significantly faster in a regular vehicle. if you're driving a crappy old vw bus or towing a big trailer, you're better off on 80. 50 is prettier too. if you want to break it into 2 days, you should stop in ely, nv. you can camp for free in lots of forest service and blm land, or you can pay $4 to camp at ward mtn (about sw of ely on hwy 6) and ride a couple hrs worth of fun singletrack up there, then continue on to moab. if you stay in ely, drop me a line ([email protected] (take out wiener to respond)). especially in the afternoons i could give you a couple hour guided tour.

if you need tubes, the local sporting goods place sells 'inline' (from seattle bike supply) tubes for $3 ea, which is pretty cheap. i don't think they know much about profit margins.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id