Grouse Ridge Trails - New and Re-routed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Grouse Ridge Trails - New and Re-routed

x-post to http://gctrails.blogspot.com/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some changes are coming to trails in the Grouse Ridge area. The USFS has planned re-routes of the Lindsey Lakes and Crooked Lakes trails. Additionally, the Tahoe National Forest and Gold Country Trails Council have created a new trail from Loney Meadows to Bowman Mountain. See the map below.

On paper, the re-routes make a lot of sense. The Crooked Lakes re-route eliminates the obnoxiously steep climb heading north from Penner Lake, while the Lindsey Lakes re-route replaces the fall line trail that leads down to the Grouse Ridge Trail. The existing LL descent is fun for advanced riders who like a technical challenge, but it is a hike-a-bike for others and a hike-a-bike for everyone heading up. The USFS just received word that they have received additional funding to work on these projects.

I do wish the USFS would cut the large fallen trees that have blocked many Grouse Ridge trails for years now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grouse Ridge Trails - New and Re-routed-grouse-area-trails-reroutes.jpg  

mtb'er
    I like it! I recall seeing (the start of) re-route work between Rock Lake and the Grouse Ridge Trail last June ('09)... that will be nice when it's done since it was pretty much a waterfall of loose rock.

How's that Bowman Mt. Trail Connector and the Bowman Mt. Trail section (between Loney and Rock Lake)?

I too wish the FS would spend some time on all the downed trees. Last summer Chavez replied to an email I sent him saying "it would be another month before I can clear them"... ha ha ha. I won't hold my breath. The trail up/down from Sawmill used to be awesome... it's been a waste of time for years now.

mtbr member
    Great news! I haven't been over to that area for a couple of years because I heard so many complaints about all the downed trees. Is the worst part on Grouse Ridge trail down to Sawmill Lake from the intersection of the Lindsey Trail?

I really dislike pushing my bike up the loose rocks on the Lindsey Trail. I love going by all the lakes on the Crooked Lakes trail. I will be nice to eliminate some of the grinding climbs on that trail, too.

I've spent some long, hard days completing double loops on those trails. Don't think I'm young enough or fit enough to do it any more... The reroutes will definitely help.
    Last edited by Trailseeker; 08-31-2010 at 09:34 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How hard would it be to cut the dead fall out of the trail? I do it a lot up here in Tahoe but am not familiar with the trails down in this area. I do like to hike with my dogs for the day and a chain saw slung on my back. How many miles would it be to remove the Saw Mill trail trees? I have been out in this area once about 17 years ago and remember having fun on some technical trails. Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeSS
    How hard would it be to cut the dead fall out of the trail? I do it a lot up here in Tahoe but am not familiar with the trails down in this area. I do like to hike with my dogs for the day and a chain saw slung on my back. How many miles would it be to remove the Saw Mill trail trees? I have been out in this area once about 17 years ago and remember having fun on some technical trails. Thanks for any info.
    I rode Grouse a few weeks ago, from Grouse Ridge CG down to the Glacier Lake Trail all of the deadfall had been recently chainsawed. That's about a mile. It is another 3-4 miles on Grouse Ridge Trail to the Lindsey Lake Trail and that's where all the deadfall was last year...it may or may not have been cut, I didn't get down that way. The last mile down to Sawmill is more overgrown with brush than anything else, a little hard to follow the trail at times.

So roughly a 7-8 mile round trip to cut the trees, some of which were fairly big and not something a handsaw could ever cut. I will have to head out there again before the LL reroute...the section they are removing is really hard
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Before BONC makes a request to the USFS again about downed trees, it would be good to have an inventory of what exactly which trails have been cleared. Fourarm tells us that the Grouse Ridge Trail is cleared between the lookout and the Glacier Lake Trail.

Any other recent reports (within 1-2 months) of what is clear and what is blocked?

mtb'er
    At the bottom is the "report" I emailed Chavez in Sept. '08... certainly not updated but I didn't notice any changes for the better in June '09. Glad to hear some work has been done towards Glacier. I'd be shocked if the mile between Sawmill and Grouse Ridge/Lindsey Lakes junction is remotely clear. I've been concerned that with the amount of trees down, the trail would be used less and less and ultimately reclaimed by the forest.

Denton - if you do attack the mile above Sawmill, it would be easiest to approach from the lake... although it's a fairly long drive in from Hwy 20. I'd be happy to help, but I don't have access to a chainsaw (or experience with one!). Be prepared to get your feet wet getting to the trailhead!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grouse Ridge Trails - New and Re-routed-grouse-tree-report.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

met Chavez back in May

on the trails in Forest City. He rides -- or at least he rode trail that day -- on an old hard tail.

Seemed like a good guy, and one that wants to increase trail access for bikes. We talked a lot about the trails in Forest (he really liked them), YubaExp/SBTF, etc.

I've been planning to get back to Grouse Ridge, haven't been there in a couple of years, but based on this I may wait until next year
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

bike whore
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by memine
    Before BONC makes a request to the USFS again about downed trees, it would be good to have an inventory of what exactly which trails have been cleared. Fourarm tells us that the Grouse Ridge Trail is cleared between the lookout and the Glacier Lake Trail.

Any other recent reports (within 1-2 months) of what is clear and what is blocked?
    memine,
    PM me and we will see what can be done about the dead fall you speak of. Have chain saw, will travel. We typically [NCWR] remove a crap load of dead fall every year for [email protected] TNF on motos on the down low. Look for logs with initials sawed into the 2 cut areas.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I don't mean to hi-jack, but i'm gonna. Any word on the deafall on the High Loch Leven trails? We rode up there two years ago and I stopped counting at 45.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    [QUOTE=Empty_Beer]At the bottom is the "report" I emailed Chavez in Sept. '08... certainly not updated but I didn't notice any changes for the better in June '09. Glad to hear some work has been done towards Glacier. I'd be shocked if the mile between Sawmill and Grouse Ridge/Lindsey Lakes junction is remotely clear. I've been concerned that with the amount of trees down, the trail would be used less and less and ultimately reclaimed by the forest.

Denton - if you do attack the mile above Sawmill, it would be easiest to approach from the lake... although it's a fairly long drive in from Hwy 20. I'd be happy to help, but I don't have access to a chainsaw (or experience with one!). Be prepared to get your feet wet getting to the trailhead!

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot. I will pm you with my email address if you could send me the map you outlined that would be great. My wife is a hard worker and helps me with trail clearing. We will get on this in a few weeks. I love opening up neglected trails so we can all enjoy them once again.

Denton

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Grouse Recon

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    At the bottom is the "report" I emailed Chavez in Sept. '08... certainly not updated but I didn't notice any changes for the better in June '09. Glad to hear some work has been done towards Glacier. I'd be shocked if the mile between Sawmill and Grouse Ridge/Lindsey Lakes junction is remotely clear. I've been concerned that with the amount of trees down, the trail would be used less and less and ultimately reclaimed by the forest.

I rode Grouse Ridge today...nice up there, minimal heat. The north section of the Grouse Ridge Trail(blue on the map) is mostly clear of trees. There are still some big ones in the way but there are ride-arounds for most of them. It is way better than last year where it got to the point where it wasn't worth riding. The trail from Island Lake to Penner is one of the best sections of trail anywhere in the Sierra's...tech+flow+scenery=great trail.

Did not check the section down to Sawmill.
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thank you for the update. I plan to get up there soon and hopefully mark the big downed trees on my GPS device.

Members who have read this thread: 1